US Nat'l Team sets next two matches [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : US Nat'l Team sets next two matches

SCfan804
02-16-2008, 07:11 PM
U.S. adds friendlies against Poland, Spain

Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - The United States men's national team announced friendlies at European finalists Poland and Spain on Monday in preparation for World Cup qualifying.

The U.S. will play at Poland on March 26 in Krakow, and visit Spain on June 4 for its fourth game in the last two years against a team ranked in the top 10 in the world. The Americans begin 2010 World Cup qualifying June 15.

"We are excited about the opportunity to play two high-caliber teams in such an important time in our preparations for World Cup qualifying," United States coach Bob Bradley said.

Poland is ranked 23rd in the world - three spots below the United States - but holds a slight advantage in the teams' all-time series with a record of 7-6-2.

The U.S. has played in Poland six times, holding a 3-2-1 edge in those games. The teams last met in Poland in 2004 and DeMarcus Beasley scored the lone goal in a 1-0 U.S. win. The countries last played in 2006 when Clint Dempsey netted the lone goal in a 1-0 win for the United States.

Spain, which won its group in Euro qualifying, is ranked fourth in the world. It has played the U.S. two times, winning both matches. The teams first played in the 1950 World Cup, a 3-1 victory by Spain, and last met in 1992 when Spain posted a 2-0 victory in Sevilla.

The U.S. opens World Cup qualifying against the winner of a first round match between Barbados and Dominica, who tied 1-1 in the first leg of their series, on June 15 in Carson, Calif.

Should the United States advance, the semifinal round is Aug. 20-Nov. 19 with four teams participating in round-robin group play.

I can't wait for the one against Spain. By that point we'll be getting ready to begin WC qualifying, and the Spanish will be getting ready to delve into Euro 2008. We played so well (at least for a half) against the Mexicants, and should be even sharper since the MLS guys will be in season and showing better form. Please start Jozy Altidore again!!!!

Oh, and fwiw we're supposedly negotiating to face another top caliber team in July sometime. They aren't sure who the opponent will be, but the likely bet at this point is Argentina.

Leauxgan
02-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm very excited about both matches. I can only pray they'll both be televized, especially the game against Espa?ħa.

I read somewhere that the U.S. might get scheduled against the England NT in Wembley this summer, because their opponent has dropped out. I would LOVE to see that happen.

SECgamecock453
02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Maybe we should set up a match with the soon-to-be Kosovo team.

PS: That was a joke.

:D

GR8NESS
02-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I wish we'd play Brasil sometime, just purely for the hell of it.

Leauxgan
02-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I wish we'd play Brasil sometime, just purely for the hell of it.

We played them this past September in a friendly in Chicago. Lost 4 - 2

But despite the scoreline, the U.S. played well.

Vandy420
02-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Scotland has supposedly dropped out and the US might be in against England at Wembley. That would be a great game, and fun to watch.

2008 National Champions
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Scotland has supposedly dropped out and the US might be in against England at Wembley. That would be a great game, and fun to watch.

England is going to kill us. They have to be pissed about missing the Euros.

SECgamecock453
02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
England are the most overrated team ever, consistently in the top 10 worldwide but never actually winning anything. It would be great to beat them, but still they are better than us. You never know though...

2008 National Champions
02-25-2008, 07:48 PM
England are the most overrated team ever, consistently in the top 10 worldwide but never actually winning anything. It would be great to beat them, but still they are better than us. You never know though...

Understatement of the century, they are way better than the US, they are overrated, though.