Hopson Reopens Commitment [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Hopson Reopens Commitment

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Scotty Hopson has officially reopened his commitment. Not strange at all that over the weekend Coach G said he doesn't recruit committed players, unless they officially open back up their recruitment. Coincidence? Doubt it.

I'm still not convinced that Hopson is a Gillispie type player, but with the three point arc being extended and UK only having two players under 6'6 on the roster for next year, adding a dynamite guard like Hopson could help.

http://www.wkyt.com/sports

msubulldog0610
02-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Not surprised..

SkyAntoine
02-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I just hope he doesn't re-open just to go to the Vols. I don't think I can stand seeing Lofton all over again.

msubulldog0610
02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah I agree with you and I don't think I can stand seeing a guy who we used a ton of effort..Years actually..only to go to another team in the SEC..Oh well it does happen. Look at Monta Ellis, Travis Outlaw and Johnathan Bender.. I know I said SEC but still they left for the pros even after a ton of effort. We've lost some great talent but we've still done well without them. I'd like him however I just don't like his attitude about playing as a one man show and not a team..

MSUado
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't understand what this does. He was never officially committed was he. Didn't he virtually reopen when he started considering other schools?

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I just hope he doesn't re-open just to go to the Vols. I don't think I can stand seeing Lofton all over again.

UT is clearly the "presumptive favorite." Gotta use that terminology in honor of John McCain. LOL

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't understand what this does. He was never officially committed was he. Didn't he virtually reopen when he started considering other schools?

No this is a watershed moment, because he's said for ever that he's still committed to MSU. This is the first public declaration that he isn't. Other schools were recruiting him for sure, once he wavered. Glad to say Kentucky wasn't one of them.

msubulldog0610
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah who knows where this kid goes..I mean if he chooses an SEC school, they're gonna be great for one year cause thats all I think he'll stay for IMO.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I don't consider him a longterm fix, and although he's a top 10 player, this class is watered down and weak compared to the previous two classes, so who knows. But, the guy is talented nonetheless. I've got a friend that plays against him back there in Kentucky. Says Scotty needs to do a better job at playing for the entire 32 minutes or whatever.

MSUado
02-11-2008, 10:07 PM
No this is a watershed moment, because he's said for ever that he's still committed to MSU. This is the first public declaration that he isn't. Other schools were recruiting him for sure, once he wavered. Glad to say Kentucky wasn't one of them.

So basically nothing has changed. Now he's just admitting that he's considering other schools.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, we've talked about Hopson a lot around here and the MSU fans still said "well he's still committed to MSU until he says otherwise." He's now said otherwise. It's just crazy because once you reopen your recruitment, you rarely go back to the same school you originally committed to, and everything is the same for MSU as it was when he committed, no coaching change, so it looks like he won't be headed to MSU. Can't count out the unexpected with this recruitment though.

msubulldog0610
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah some of my friends went to the Auburn game with some of the Rick's Rowdies. Well one of the girls that is big in the basketball talk said that Scotty was going to sign with State and have a big signing day party or something. Well his mother wanted him to hold off and so now he flip flops..Oh well..We'll see soon how it goes..

SkyAntoine
02-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Is there truth to everyone saying he is lazy or was that just made up by UK fans to ease the pain of a top 10 guy leaving the state?

If there is any truth to it, then he and Billy Clyde are already at odds.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
SkyAntoine, I meant to add that part about Clyde not really liking the effort that he's been said to play with... or lack thereof. My friend that played against him from Lyon County said that Hopson didn't really dominate the whole game, as you'd expected. I think he said that Hopson seemed disinterested at times. I've heard other outlets say that too. So, I think there is something to it for sure.

SkyAntoine
02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
SkyAntoine, I meant to add that part about Clyde not really liking the effort that he's been said to play with... or lack thereof. My friend that played against him from Lyon County said that Hopson didn't really dominate the whole game, as you'd expected. I think he said that Hopson seemed disinterested at times. I've heard other outlets say that too. So, I think there is something to it for sure.

I really have faith in what BCG can do with kids that have a good work ethic. But, he's done a number with Perry Stevenson this year. PS even admits he didn't really like working hard before this year, but Coach and the team has pushed him.

Who knows what BCG's system and a whole team of support could do with a kid like Hopson? If anyone could tap the talent, I think is Billy Clyde.

I still think we're a long shot.

OffThePorch
02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
So basically nothing has changed. Now he's just admitting that he's considering other schools.

i listened to the entire interview & he still says MSU is on his short list. i still expect him to sign with state no matter how much some posters hope otherwise.

XPS
02-12-2008, 02:41 AM
i listened to the entire interview & he still says MSU is on his short list. i still expect him to sign with state no matter how much some posters hope otherwise.

Good luck. My money is on Tenn...

OffThePorch
02-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Good luck. My money is on Tenn...

thanks. how much? when is signing day?