Courtney Fortson moving up the rankings [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Fortson moving up the rankings

hawgwild
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
When ESPN comes out with there top 25 basketball prospects, he will be #7 on the list, close to being the number one Point Guard. Pretty cool to see him moving up like this, cant wait to finnaly have a good PG on campus, haven't really had one since Kareem Reid.

PiggoBitttys
01-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Great news indeed! I believe it's actually SI rankings that he'll be #7 on. Courtney whipped Brandon Jennings, the other top prep PG on the court earlier this year. Jennings had been rated higher than Courtney, but obviously some people have seen the light. ;)

Hope Fortson will stay a couple of years, but can't wait to see him and Clarke next year, and Payne!

Just Some Hog Dude
01-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I hate to say I told you so kentubby but I told you so.

kentubbybasketball
01-27-2008, 04:15 PM
JSHD, I never said he wasn't a good player. If you remember Fortson really wanted to come to Kentucky but when we got Liggins he decided to go look elsewhere, but UK probably could've had him if we wanted him. So, don't get the wrong impression that I thought he wasn't good.

What I was saying was that somebody like Brandon Jennings is probably better since everybody ranks him better. Van Coleman at Hoopmasters has him at #1.

PiggoBitttys
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
JSHD, I never said he wasn't a good player. If you remember Fortson really wanted to come to Kentucky but when we got Liggins he decided to go look elsewhere, but UK probably could've had him if we wanted him. So, don't get the wrong impression that I thought he wasn't good.

What I was saying was that somebody like Brandon Jennings is probably better since everybody ranks him better. Van Coleman at Hoopmasters has him at #1.

When the two played head to head, Fortson outplayed Jennings and won the game. This is from a game article:

For Oak Hill to come away with the win, a big night from Jennings would be required.

Didné─˘t happen as Jennings appeared to be forcing the offense early and Fortson served up a stellar game.

Patterson won the scrimmage (we only counted the first two halves) 96-74 as it defeated Oak Hill 46-33 in the first half and then won 50-41 after the clock was reset for the second.

Fortson sliced his way through Oak Hillé─˘s defense for 19 points in the first half on 7-for-12 from the field. Though not as tall, Fortson was Jenningsé─˘ equal in speed and stronger physically. Oak Hill had a difficult time keeping him away from the rim where heé─˘s not only a strong safety as a finisher but a super rebounder for his position.

Fortsoné─˘s outstanding game leaked over into the second half of the scrimmage. With 2 minutes remaining and the score tied at 39, he rattled off 2 straight buckets and that was it for Oak Hillé─˘s comeback. With Arkansasé─˘ John Pelphrey in the stands, Fortson did his thing. The capper was when he posted up Jennings for a hoop. Fortson finished with 29 points (12-18 FG), 6 rebounds and 3 assists.

On the flipside, Jennings struggled all night, often settling for fadeway 3-pointers (3-for-11). Though he accumulated 25 points he shot just 8-for-22 from the field. He snared 6 boards and handed out 5 assists, Jennings uncharacteristically turned it over 10 times.

Of course, one game doesn't decide anything, but neither do rankings. SI may very well have Fortson higher than Jennings when they release them, we'll see. Like has been said, Courtney should be rated as the 7th best player in the country in the new SI.

If Kentucky doesn't want that, I'm happy to take it.

Hogger
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I am pumped about bringing in Fortson. This is the first time we've signed a top PG since Kareem Reid back in '94 or '95. That is a longtime between elite pg's.

hawgwild
01-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I think kareem redshirted the 95 season, so its been like 13 years, thats crazy.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-28-2008, 02:47 AM
I think kareem redshirted the 95 season, so its been like 13 years, thats crazy.

It's twelve years since the Hogs have been in the Sweet Sixteen.

kentubbybasketball
01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
When the two played head to head, Fortson outplayed Jennings and won the game. This is from a game article:

Of course, one game doesn't decide anything, but neither do rankings. SI may very well have Fortson higher than Jennings when they release them, we'll see. Like has been said, Courtney should be rated as the 7th best player in the country in the new SI.

If Kentucky doesn't want that, I'm happy to take it.

You basically said it. One game doesn't say anything. LeBron probably outplayed Kobe last night, but I don't see many people saying without a doubt that 'Bron is the better player. And, I agree rankings don't mean much. For instance, Darian Townes was ranked higher than Joakim Noah in the class of 2004, but when most ranking analysts (who do this for a living) have one guy ranked over the other by so much, it's usually a good indicator. We'll have to see how this all pans out over the course of the next 4 years, even though Jennings will likely be in the NBA after one.

And, UK got DeAndre Liggins because that's the one we chose. He really fits Gillispie's may line about recruiting: recruiting the biggest players... Liggins is a 6'6 point guard.

hawgwild
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.takkle.com/rankings/basketball

kentubbybasketball
01-29-2008, 05:48 PM
The credibility of those rankings really make you wonder when Greg Monroe is around 14, considering everywhere else he's 1, 2, and maybe 3.

PiggoBitttys
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
The credibility of those rankings really make you wonder when Greg Monroe is around 14, considering everywhere else he's 1, 2, and maybe 3.

The credibility of all rankings are up in the air. When you get down to it, naming the top 10, top 15 players in the nation, regardless of position, it can be pretty difficult figuring out who is 6th best and who is 10th best. Heck for the entire list too. I think ranking services do a pretty good job of giving you generally how good a player is likely to be. Ranking lists can't be taken exact. The fact that Fortson is up there though shows me he's in that top tier range. I don't think that means he is definitely the 7th best player in the nation. But he's very good.

Plus we all know there are exceptions. Scotty Thurman and Corey Beck weren't rated anything out of high school, yet they were two HUGE pieces in bringing Arkansas it's National Championship.

joehogjoe
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Reid had grade issues that forced him out in the 94-95 season, he was the the piece of the missing puzzle that we needed to repeat as NChamps. He was the fastest player from one end to the other this league has seen in ages

Fortson will give us some speed which is what we lack severely.

hawgwild
01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Reid is still a big time player in the streetball in NY and stuff, you can look him up on youtube and stuff, where he puts up 40 on Circus from And1.

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
The credibility of all rankings are up in the air. When you get down to it, naming the top 10, top 15 players in the nation, regardless of position, it can be pretty difficult figuring out who is 6th best and who is 10th best. Heck for the entire list too. I think ranking services do a pretty good job of giving you generally how good a player is likely to be. Ranking lists can't be taken exact. The fact that Fortson is up there though shows me he's in that top tier range. I don't think that means he is definitely the 7th best player in the nation. But he's very good.

Plus we all know there are exceptions. Scotty Thurman and Corey Beck weren't rated anything out of high school, yet they were two HUGE pieces in bringing Arkansas it's National Championship.

I disagree. The top 10-15 are usually the same everywhere, typically scout and rivals, which are the most reputable anyway. The 30-150 range is usually a crapshoot though. Fortson is in the 50-100 range most elsewhere else. So, who are you to believe. As an Arkansas fan you want to believe the one that has him in the top 7 obviously, who wouldn't? But, if everybody but one ranking system has him much lower, that's probably the most reliable ranking.

joehogjoe
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I disagree. The top 10-15 are usually the same everywhere, typically scout and rivals, which are the most reputable anyway. The 30-150 range is usually a crapshoot though. Fortson is in the 50-100 range most elsewhere else. So, who are you to believe. As an Arkansas fan you want to believe the one that has him in the top 7 obviously, who wouldn't? But, if everybody but one ranking system has him much lower, that's probably the most reliable ranking.

KT, you are missing the obvious here which isn't like you.

Fortson is moving up because the rankings are being updated.
Not everyone has updated their rankings yet so what you are saying about the range he is in is old news, that doesn't reflect his current play and increased basketball abilities.

Rivals and scout will be updating later and no doubt Fortson will move up, there as well as Bob Gibbins, etc.

PiggoBitttys
01-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Exactly Joe.

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
KT, you are missing the obvious here which isn't like you.

Fortson is moving up because the rankings are being updated.
Not everyone has updated their rankings yet so what you are saying about the range he is in is old news, that doesn't reflect his current play and increased basketball abilities.

Rivals and scout will be updating later and no doubt Fortson will move up, there as well as Bob Gibbins, etc.

joe, I appreciate the compliment. And, I do realize SI is the first people to raise his ranking. But, I've not heard rivals or scout say anything about raising Fortson's rankings significantly, and I read their stuff a few times a week.

Nobody is saying Fortson isn't a player. Afterall, Gillispie was intrigued. I was only defending myself since somebody openly challenged me in this thread without me saying a word.

hawgwild
01-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Jerry Meyer from rivals loves him, i wouldnt be suprised to see him move up a lot in the rivals rankings.

Hogger
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I think it's been a while since Scout has updated their rankings. They still have Fortson as a 3 star recruit, which is ridiculous.

The big thing about Fortson is that, being a 5'10" PG, he probably will stay all 4 seasons, as you don't see too many 5'10" players leaving early. So, he could be the rare recruit that is a big contributor for 4 years. By his senior year he'll be a 4 year starter in the SEC at the most important position on the court. That is HUGE.

He could have a bigger impact in the SEC than any other recruit this year.

kentubbybasketball
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
DJ Augustin is a pretty good 5'10 PG. The thing about Fortson though is that he seems to be even quicker and more athletic than Augustin.

Hogger
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
DJ Augustin is a pretty good 5'10 PG. The thing about Fortson though is that he seems to be even quicker and more athletic than Augustin.

Augustin is "listed" at 6'0". He'll probably measure in at the NBA combine a little below that. He could be one of the few under 6'0" players to declare for the draft.

Agustin does have a better jump shot than Fortson. If Fortson develops a jump shot he would be unguardable.

kentubbybasketball
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, Augustin is definitely under 6'0 though. TF could probably confirm it, even if that's what the official listing is. Augustin's athleticism has come into question. People really he's a savvy player, but I think Mayo, Rose, Gordon, Lawson, etc. will get more attention because they're considered more athletic. Augustin is a get though, and at one point was clearly playing as the best PG in America this year.

Augustin honestly is the reason for LSU's recent struggles. LSU really wanted to get him, but with Hurricane Katrina relocating his family to Texas, Augustin felt more compelled to go there. Augustin on this LSU team would be dynamite.