Romero Osby and JayMychael Green. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Romero Osby and JayMychael Green.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
From dawgsbite member who attended there game last night:

There were alot of State fans at A.E. Wood in Clinton tonight, and Romero knew we were there too. He talked about it, and he liked it.
So it was Mississippi's #1 player vs. Alabama's #1 player. He is JaMychal Green, and is signed with Alabama.
Green had the more productive first half. His stats are:
10-15 FG (4 dunks in the 1st half); 0-1 3pt; 5-8 free throws; 15 rebounds (8 off, 7 def); 5 assists; 2 TO; 2 blks; 0 stl; and played 29 minutes.
His team won 79-66.

Romero's leadership stepped up in the 2nd half, and he was connecting on more of everything really.
His stats are:
10-25 FG; 3-7 3ptrs; 3-4 FT; 15 rebounds (3 off, 12 def); 4 assists; 3 TO; 2 blocks; 1 steal; and he played for 31 minutes.
It was a close game until about 1/2 way through the 2nd half.

Size wise they are about the same, but I think Green is 1 or 2 inches taller. Green could stand to add some more muscle, about 5-10 should to the trick if he really wants to control the paint and be a huge threat in the SEC. Will he be an equaled replacement for Hendrix....I don't think so, but only time will tell and i am hoping that im not eating my words in 3 years. He did seem to get tired early on, and rested on the bench for a while. Romero played all of his minutes with out breaks except during the timeouts (of course).
Romero has, i think, a lot more muscle power than he realizes, but college hoops should help him refine his movements and make them more fluid. he played both around the perimeter and in the paint. im not sure if that's just because it's high school ball, or if that is because his coach had him do that. he was ably helped by some small guards who could shoot threes, and he did a good job of finding them on some nice passes to set up shots for 3 points. he reminds some of jamont as far as being able to take it through the middle from the top of the key for good breaks and points (and now i would like to reiterate that he is stronger than he gives himself credit for). i would say his height (6'8") and his play would have him as a true F/C. he is good at man to man defense, i didn't really see any zone tonight. one thing that he can work on for his man to man is his being able to pivot and run the other way faster with the opposition, but if gave a few inches more cushion he will do good. him and jarvis together are going to scare some people that's for sure; especially if they both gain more muscle mass. right now romero (size wise) reminds me alot of charles, so that should give you an idea. if dee (and possibly scotty) play as well as he does, which im sure they do, then we are going to be a basketball team is going to kick a** and take names!
Rick, Kirby, and Phil were at the game, and talked with Osby afterwards. He pretty much walked over as soon as he was done shaking hands, and chatted it up for a while, and he's funny too!
Romero, and Green, were both awarded the MVP's for the game.

I also caught some of the game before theirs, in which a pair of Ole Miss signees played. One is Terrance Henry and they are both from Carroll High. Andy Kennedy was on hand to watch his new 6'9" Center, and his 6'6" forward Brandon Wilson. I don't have the stats for them, since i wasn't there for the whole game, but i do know that their team won (against Callaway), and from what i overheard Terrance had a pretty impressive game, and he was awarded the MVP honors for his team. I don't remember anything about Brandon, but that was because I literally walked in on about the last 3 minutes of their game. Kennedy and Stans occupied the opposite sides of the court in case anyone was wondering, and AK didn't stay long after his signees left. he's alot thinner in person than he looks on TV.

msubulldog0610
01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting that man...I really believe Romero will make an immediate impact next year in the place of Charles...I believe he is more talented and will carry the team w/o having Rhodes..If Jamont stays, wow...Jamont, Osby, and Varnado would be a force to reckon with in the SEC..

MSUado
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for posting that man...I really believe Romero will make an immediate impact next year in the place of Charles...I believe he is more talented and will carry the team w/o having Rhodes..If Jamont stays, wow...Jamont, Osby, and Varnado would be a force to reckon with in the SEC..

You're right. If Jamont stayed and Hopson came on we would have to be favored to win the SEC. But I think we'll be good enough without Hopson. If we have a big year there is no way that Jamont stays.