Scotty Hopson.............. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Hopson..............

leland5
12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Saturday, December 29, 2007

KING OF THE BLUEGRASS HOLIDAY CLASSIC
Hopson leads University Heights
By Bob White and Jason Frakes
jfrakes@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Scotty Hopson may not play hard all the time, but the 6-foot-7 senior from University Heights showed his real talent last night.

Matched against 6-7 Noel Johnson of Fayette County (Ga.), Hopson outscored him 35-23. His performance lifted the Blazers to an 82-76 victory in the semifinals of the Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass Holiday Classic basketball tournament at Fairdale High.

"I've told him that at the next level he's going to have to bring it every practice and every game," University Heights coach Randy McCoy said. "He's getting better every game.''

Watching in the packed house were head coaches Rick Pitino of the University of Louisville and John Calipari of Memphis, and Pitino's assistant, Walter McCarty.

They saw Hopson and Johnson both score 17 points in the first half, then watched as Hopson and teammate Tyshwan Edmondson continued to sparkle in the second half.

University Heights (11-2) from Hopkinsville gained the tourney's 27th annual championship game at 7:30 tonight against Male.

Hopson, who's committed to Mississippi State, hit 13 of 24 shots and 9 of 12 free throws, besides taking off 20 rebounds and blocking three shots. He had six turnovers and missed his four three-point tries.

"I had to step up for my teammates and get the victory,'' Hopson said. "I think I played well on defense and offense. Edmonson and I are like a 1-2 punch. When we're both playing well, we're unbeatable.''

Edmondson, a 6-4 guard who is being recruited by Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Murray State, Texas Christian, Morehead State and Georgetown (Ky.), fired in 25 points and grabbed nine rebounds against Fayette County (9-5).

Johnson picked up his third foul with 4:18 left in the second quarter and his fourth foul with 4:58 left in the game. Guarded by Edmonson, Johnson made only 1 of 7 three-point shots and 10 of 26 overall. He fouled out with 1:25 to go and Fayette County trailing 74-68.

Fayette County guards Brandon Boykins and Cuincy Carruthers scored 19 and 18 points, respectively.

"We played hard and Noel played well, but the fouls on him dictated how he played,'' Fayette County coach Andre Flynn said.

leland5
12-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Scotty Hopson- 35 points, 20 rebounds, 3 blocks

leland5
12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
University Heights(Hopson's team) lost to Male 53-51 in the finals of the King of the Bluegrass Holiday Classic in Louisville. Scotty Hopson finished the game with 19 points, and was named the tournament's MVP.

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Word is Kentucky has stopped communicating with the Hopsons and UT is the favorite... it doesn't break my heart at all.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Word is Kentucky has stopped communicating with the Hopsons and UT is the favorite... it doesn't break my heart at all.

I'm hearing the $$$ donors @ UK have pretty much demanded Gillispie recruit Hopson.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Rocky, what's your source... some UT fan that wants to think UK cheats for recruits? As a UT fan, you should know as well as anybody, that it doesn't matter how much fans want a coach to recruit a certain player... the coach will recruit whom he wants... that's how Buzz Peterson lucked into Chris Lofton.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Rocky, what's your source... some UT fan that wants to think UK cheats for recruits? As a UT fan, you should know as well as anybody, that it doesn't matter how much fans want a coach to recruit a certain player... the coach will recruit whom he wants... that's how Buzz Peterson lucked into Chris Lofton.

I never said anything about cheating. I just said some of the high $$$ donors at UK have "said" they want Hopson recruited. UK is no different than any other school. Never underestimate the power of the money-giving alumni.

XPS
01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
The story I'm hearing is Billy G is concerned about Hopson's work ethic. Rocky is right, the pressure is on Billy G to recruit him..

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Rocky, the alumni can talk all they want, but Billy G knows that he knows more about recruiting than those rich people. Hopson himself said that UK hadn't been calling, so the rich people's message ain't got to G yet.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Rocky, the alumni can talk all they want, but Billy G knows that he knows more about recruiting than those rich people. Hopson himself said that UK hadn't been calling, so the rich people's message ain't got to G yet.

Do you really think donors dont have a say?

I dont know about UK, but Peyton Manning, Jim Haslem (Pilot Oil) and Thunder Thornton have plenty of influence @ UT. They get pretty much whatever they want. All a part of the GAME of big time athletics.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
rocky, there's a difference in "getting what you want" and telling the coach whom to recruit.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
rocky, there's a difference in "getting what you want" and telling the coach whom to recruit.

Youre na?ve.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Rocky, people make their voices heard a lot about whom they want to be recruited... especially with the rise of the Internet, but I don't think people are basically giving Gillispie an ultimatum that he must recruit Hopson, because obviously we're not recruiting him heavily.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Rocky, people make their voices heard a lot about whom they want to be recruited... especially with the rise of the Internet, but I don't think people are basically giving Gillispie an ultimatum that he must recruit Hopson, because obviously we're not recruiting him heavily.

Im sorry, but youre wrong on this one.

Go ahead big guy... ask your cats in the know. Ask MissKitty or XPS... ask someone outside the forum.

WVUfaninKY3
01-21-2008, 02:44 PM
The donors are fairly happy right now because Gillispie did pick up Darius Miller. They're going to tell him to recruit him but Gillispie is looking elsewhere. Last rumor I heard was that Clarence Trent (09 recruit and teammate of Liggins) has told certain people around the program that he's almost ready to commit to UK

XPS
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
The donors are fairly happy right now because Gillispie did pick up Darius Miller. They're going to tell him to recruit him but Gillispie is looking elsewhere. Last rumor I heard was that Clarence Trent (09 recruit and teammate of Liggins) has told certain people around the program that he's almost ready to commit to UK

He will be a good one. Billy G is feeling some heat to recruit Hopson...

Dawg
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
As good of a recruiter as Stansbury is, I wonder how hard he is fighting for Hopson to remain committed to MSU?

WVUfaninKY3
01-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Yeah, he will be a good one. As for us only having one schollie for 09 don't count on it. Williams is as good as gone, which will open up at least one scholarship for this year or next. Also with Legion gone that's another open.

XPS
01-21-2008, 02:55 PM
As good of a recruiter as Stansbury is, I wonder how hard he is fighting for Hopson to remain committed to MSU?

That's a very good question. I don't think its any secret that Hopson wants to be one and done at this point. He needs to pick a school that best showcases his skills. Will he hurt the team trying to be the next biggest thing? I don't think Tenn will be a great fit for Hopson, because he is planning on being one and done. Pearls teams are balanced, Pearls teams will never be a one man show. Will Gordon leave after this year? Lots of questions concerning Hopson, including attitude work ethic and team player..

NCMISSSTFAN
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I honestly don't think I want him anymore, it seems he's all about self. We still have 2 top 150 recruits coming in without him.

MSUado
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I honestly don't think I want him anymore, it seems he's all about self. We still have 2 top 150 recruits coming in without him.

I'd still like to have him but it's not a big deal if we don't. This is a place where he would start and be depended on so I don't know why he feels this is a bad team for him.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I hear you but my question is, if he so happens to come to MSU, will he expect to be the go to guy from the start and if things don't go his way will he give his all? I shouldn't judge him because I don't know him, but going by what is going on just during his recruitment, plus other things that have been discussed about his attitude and work ethic, do we really want him?

MSUado
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I hear you but my question is, if he so happens to come to MSU, will he expect to be the go to guy from the start and if things don't go his way will he give his all? I shouldn't judge him because I don't know him, but going by what is going on just during his recruitment, plus other things that have been discussed about his attitude and work ethic, do we really want him?

I think with Jamont's likely departure to the NBA and Charles leaving we will need someone to replace all of that scoring and we won't have anyone else that is good at creating offense. Hopson has that ability (like Jamont) to make things happen and he could turn what would otherwise be a transition year into a year in which we will contend (because we already have some superb role players).

NCMISSSTFAN
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh I know exactly what you mean, but sometimes teams flourish when there's not that "go to guy" and there's just alot of good players on a team. Chemistry. But trust me, I know what you mean, I just wonder if he is gonna cause more problems than anything. Plus we have Osby coming in.

Dawg
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Osby is a Top 50 player and likely will be higher when it's all said and done. I've done an enormous amount of studying on this young man, and he is very talented.

OffThePorch
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Osby is a Top 50 player and likely will be higher when it's all said and done. I've done an enormous amount of studying on this young man, and he is very talented.

Bost will be a good one too. i dont care if Hopson comes or not. the only player we lose that gets minutes is Rhodes.

MSUado
01-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Bost will be a good one too. i dont care if Hopson comes or not. the only player we lose that gets minutes is Rhodes.

And probably Gordon (but hopefully not).

ericaustin
01-25-2008, 02:42 AM
I hate that Damn Rocky Top song, it sounds like a woman, but its a man.

Rocky@theTop
01-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I hate that Damn Rocky Top song, it sounds like a woman, but its a man.

Um, OK.

MSUado
02-01-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=eb82825636764f4aa16cbf6162c5177d&plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&plckUserId=eb82825636764f4aa16cbf6162c5177d

MSU still #1 on Scotty's list. A win over UT might help out our chances.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Seems like the recruitment of Scotty Hopson with UK is heating up as Gillispie was in attendance for their championship win in Richmond this weekend. Gillispie may see the need to have another perimeter scorer, since the only consistent one we'll have next year is Jodie Meeks.

Something you guys might not is that other 6'2 Michael Porter, our next shortest guy will be 6'5, so we'll need some perimeter punch to go with all of our size. Everybody is at least else (other than Jodie and Michael) will be at least 6'6, and that includes our incoming recruits. Gillispie always said he wanted to go with the tallest players he could find at each position that had the necessary talent level.

SkyAntoine
02-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Is UK (or anyone for that matter) allowed to officially pursue recruits right now? Aren't we in a dead period?

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I think you can still go to games. I'm not sure about the contacting a recruit part, but right now you can go to games I'm pretty sure.

Rocky@theTop
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Ktub is correct... You can watch any time... you cannot initiate contact.

I guess CBG just magically started recruiting Hopson. :think:

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Rocky, how do you feel about this recruitment. Maybe you were right about boosters getting on to Gillispie. I"m not sure I still believe it, but it does seem like the recruitment has picked up. I still say UT is the easy favorite right now. He loves the syle of play there.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I guess CBG just magically started recruiting Hopson. :think:

Am I sensing a bit of concern from a UT fan since we're going after a recruit you want. I guess this time around a coaching change isn't gonna be what sways a recruit to UT, like Jurik (sp?).:rotf:

SkyAntoine
02-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Everything I have heard is that UT is in the lead (of a person supposedly solid with MSU).

I don't want another Lofton getting away from home but I am a little concerned if Hopson would fit in BCG's system. I hear he is a little lazy on defense (like most standout hs players). He also seems to show a lot of shades of Alex Legion (iffiness,posse, lazy).

Rocky@theTop
02-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Am I sensing a bit of concern from a UT fan since we're going after a recruit you want. I guess this time around a coaching change isn't gonna be what sways a recruit to UT, like Jurik (sp?).:rotf:

No concern... just enjoy seeing you proven wrong about Hopson.:rotf::rotf::rotf: Told you Gillispie was getting the heat to recruit him. If he comes to UT... it's a bonus to an already solid class. We only have 3 schollies available.

Rocky@theTop
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Rocky, how do you feel about this recruitment. Maybe you were right about boosters getting on to Gillispie. I"m not sure I still believe it, but it does seem like the recruitment has picked up. I still say UT is the easy favorite right now. He loves the syle of play there.

Honestly... I have no reason not to trust Pearl. Many say Hopson lazy and that's mainly coming from the MSU and UK camps. Sour grapes... perhaps, I really don't know. There is a reason this kid is Top 10 and any program would be foolish not to want him. I'm not going to get wound up on him. He's already spurned one program and who's to say he won't again? He committed to MSU and now has UT in front. This one we'll have to wait until the ink dries.

OffThePorch
02-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Scotty Hopson, the blue-chip small forward from Hopkinsville, Ky., who Rivals.com ranks as the ninth-best prospect in the country. His recruitment has transcended the usual and jumped into a rumor-a-minute soap opera that'll last at least until the late signing period begins April 16 and ends May 21.

But make no mistake: Hopson is still telling people he's focused on Mississippi State.

"They're still number one on my list," he said Friday, not long before his University Heights Academy team was to play in a quarterfinal game of Kentucky's All "A" Classic, a late-season state tournament of sorts for smaller schools.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
No concern... just enjoy seeing you proven wrong about Hopson.:rotf::rotf::rotf: Told you Gillispie was getting the heat to recruit him. If he comes to UT... it's a bonus to an already solid class. We only have 3 schollies available.

You've not proven anything. You're basing everything off what you're "heard," but never once have you shown substantial evidence to prove Gillispie is getting heat. Until you do that consider me among the unconvinced, Rocky.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
and, I like how you say he's ranked #9 so it doesnt' matter if UK fans or MSU fans say he's lazy. What exactly have you said about Joe Crawford over these last few years? Oddly enough he was ranked #9 in his class too... same number, so ranking ain't everything, and if you act like it is you're being hypocritical.

Rocky@theTop
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
You've not proven anything. You're basing everything off what you're "heard," but never once have you shown substantial evidence to prove Gillispie is getting heat. Until you do that consider me among the unconvinced, Rocky.

Everyone of your UK counterparts have said he's facing heat from the alumni/booster. I cannot help it if you are naive and stubborn to face the truth.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I've not seen any other UK fans talking about it... not even Matt Jones, which is probably our most visible UK fan with inside information.

Rocky@theTop
02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Not only are you naive, you're blind.

SkyAntoine
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I read quite a bit on the blogs and don't recall reading about heat from boosters...not that it couldn't or didn't happen.

IMO, I would rather BCG go after kids that fit with his style. If Hopson doesn't, then let him go somewhere else...we will just blast BCG when he scores 30 against us, but hey, that's part of being a UK fan.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Exactly, SkyAntoine. I've not heard any of this crap that Billy Gillispie is getting heat. The UK fans rarely tell a coach whom to recruit, because we allow a coach to recruit whom he wants... even though some complain after the fact. For instance, not many were telling Tubby to recruit Lofton back in 2004. Fans saw that Tubby had the #1 incoming shooting guard already locked up in Joe Crawford to go with another 5 star in Rajon Rondo and top 100 Ramel Bradley, so fans were alright with no going after Lofton. Now, some of those fans still criticize Tubby for not going after Lofton, but he never had substantial heat to go after Chris Lofton.

Same situation here. People trust Gillispie's judgement, now if it turns out that he made a mistake, he won't hear the end of it, but people aren't putting heat on him right now.

Rocky@theTop
02-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Again naive.

msudawg4life
02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
It will be so funny if this kid ends up at MSU.....I bet both UK and UT fans will still be talking about who's gonna get him

MSUado
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
It will be so funny if this kid ends up at MSU.....I bet both UK and UT fans will still be talking about who's gonna get him

It would be funny but I would say don't count on it. I don't see him fitting in so well at UT because it seems like the scoring is spread around so much and no is really a star(and it sounds like this guy wants to be the guy). But what do I know.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Again naive.

That's all you got?

Rocky@theTop
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
That's all you got?

It speaks volumes

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Once again you've shown nothing to prove your point; haven't even dropped any names of these supposed fans that have admitted to your false claim. Are you calling SkyAntoine naive too?

OffThePorch
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Scotty Hopson, the blue-chip small forward from Hopkinsville, Ky., who Rivals.com ranks as the ninth-best prospect in the country. His recruitment has transcended the usual and jumped into a rumor-a-minute soap opera that'll last at least until the late signing period begins April 16 and ends May 21.

But make no mistake: Hopson is still telling people he's focused on Mississippi State.

"They're still number one on my list," he said Friday, not long before his University Heights Academy team was to play in a quarterfinal game of Kentucky's All "A" Classic, a late-season state tournament of sorts for smaller schools.

WVUfaninKY3
02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I really don't care where he goes.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
That's the thing BIGBLUEfan3. I'd love to have somebody with that much talent come to UK, especially since the three point line is being moved back next year and Jodie will be our only shooter, but if he were to end up at Tennessee I wouldn't be mad like I was that Brandon Wright or Tyler Hansbrough chose over Kentucky.

OffThePorch
02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I really don't care where he goes.

that would be MSU, and i dont blame you for not caring. BG/UK will get there share of recruits.

WVUfaninKY3
02-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I really think he will stick with MSU also, he won't fit in at Kentucky for the simple fact that we are loaded and will continue to be loaded at the 1 2 and 3 position for at least the next 3 years. We need help at 4 and 5 to give PP a break every now and then

OffThePorch
02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I really think he will stick with MSU also, he won't fit in at Kentucky for the simple fact that we are loaded and will continue to be loaded at the 1 2 and 3 position for at least the next 3 years. We need help at 4 and 5 to give PP a break every now and then

Patterson is the real deal. you think he stays past this season? seen any mock drafts?

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 04:05 PM

I disagree; not about him fitting in but about us being loaded. We lose Bradford from the wings this year. Everybody on our team next year will be 6'6 or higher, which is basically forwards or centers. The only plays not 6'6 will be Porter and Meeks. There's been a lot of talk about us needing a big, which we do, but we also need guards, which is why we desperately want Tyrone Appleton, which oddly enough is a JUCO that Pearl also has/had some interest in. With the three point line moving back and us losing two of our three shooters, we need more guard play.

MSUado
02-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Isn't it only moving back by a foot (or so)? I don't think a lot of guys are going to instantly start sucking at the 3. Percentages may drop by a little bit (1-2%) but overall it should take some of the clog out of the lane and make for a better game with better passing.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Many guys already shoot threes from the extended distance anyway. But, outside of Bradley, Crawford, and Meeks we really don't have anybody else that takes a high volume of threes and connects well on them. So, the idea we don't really need another guard is crazy. We need another guard as much as we need another big man. Otherwise, we'll have no depth at guard next year, especially if Liggins doesn't qualify.

OffThePorch
02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Isn't it only moving back by a foot (or so)? I don't think a lot of guys are going to instantly start sucking at the 3. Percentages may drop by a little bit (1-2%) but overall it should take some of the clog out of the lane and make for a better game with better passing.

Seems like most all of them shoot from well beyond the line. im sure BG will find a few guys to go to UK.

Rocky@theTop
02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Once again you've shown nothing to prove your point; haven't even dropped any names of these supposed fans that have admitted to your false claim. Are you calling SkyAntoine naive too?

Tubbster,

If you are too blind to see posters in the very thread saying exactly what I told you, that's your own fault. It's not my fault you are so stubborn that you cannot admit you are wrong. When you finally figure out the power of booster/alumni; you let me know... otherwise I'll consider this another one of your foolish claims.

Rocky@theTop
02-06-2008, 04:58 PM

I rest my case oh clueless one.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for showing me two fans that said it. And, now what's the difference in that against SkyAtoine or myself not hearing anything. I haven't heard weegeman agree to it either. You're just being selective in what you want to hear. Matt Jones actually has inside info, and I've never heard him once say any of this is true. When you can show me something reputable that says it then I'll listen. Otherwise, Rocky, you save the jibberish for somebody that'll buy what you're trying to sale.

To me it's quite simple. When you wanted proof about Jurik going to UT because we had a coaching change, I gave you a scout article (reputable) that actually supported my claim. You're going off of two posters that gave no source for their info. When the guys that are "in," say it then I'll admit I"m wrong. Otherwise, keep spewing whatever makes you feel better.

Rocky@theTop
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for showing me two fans that said it. And, now what's the difference in that against SkyAtoine or myself not hearing anything. I haven't heard weegeman agree to it either. You're just being selective in what you want to hear. Matt Jones actually has inside info, and I've never heard him once say any of this is true. When you can show me something reputable that says it then I'll listen. Otherwise, Rocky, you save the jibberish for somebody that'll buy what you're trying to sale.

Ignorance is bliss... have fun wallowing in it.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
If I talk about UT, I usually have a source to back it up. You source(s) are two posters at SECF, who never backed up the claim on their own.

SkyAntoine hasn't even heard what you're saying and he's got a friend that used to write for Matt's blog.

Rocky@theTop
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
If I talk about UT, I usually have a source to back it up. You source(s) are two posters at SECF, who never backed up the claim on their own.

SkyAntoine hasn't even heard what you're saying and he's got a friend that used to write for Matt's blog.

You know KT, I don't know why I even try to discuss thing with you. You are irrational & disrespectful of others opinions. It's just a matter of time before your mouth overloads you butt again till someone pops you with an infraction. You'll get yourself banned again and go whining somewhere else and claim them as your new home. Your story never changes.

Since you and I have hijacked this thread; it's now over.