Season's greetings from Rich Rodriguez [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Season's greetings from Rich Rodriguez

Doyle Hargraves
12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
December 20, 2007

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Rich Rodriguez fired Michigan's assistant coaches Thursday, his second day as an employee of the school.

Rodriguez met with the coaches one by one at Schembechler Hall, as retiring coach Lloyd Carr packed up his belongings in boxes, clearing space for his successor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas guys. Now, get the F out! Your fired! :sad2:

Tennessee
12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I think RR is a *****, BUT, he's bringing his own guys in...What are you going to do? One of the worst parts of being an HC, or a manager at any company for that matter, is making these decisions and having to let people go...

Everything remotely bad that RR does now is going to be scrutinized, alot like Barry Bonds (not that bad, but...) bc the guy is not a real likeable fella, but firing the old staff and bringing in a new one is just part of football...

Storm
12-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I expected nothing less than a fresh start with RR. Sorry, but that's life. These guys could not have expected anything less.

Florida's bowl game just got a lot tougher though. UM coaches have one game left to basically audition for other jobs.......

or

Florida's bowl game just got a lot easier, because nobody on the staff really cares.

Tennessee
12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
I expected nothing less than a fresh start with RR. Sorry, but that's life. These guys could not have expected anything less.

Florida's bowl game just got a lot tougher though. UM coaches have one game left to basically audition for other jobs.......

or

Florida's bowl game just got a lot easier, because nobody on the staff really cares.

You HAVE to think that Hart, et al want to send Carr out on a high note...I'm sure in the back of some of their minds, they feel responsible for him leaving...I think UF is a MUCH better team that Michigan, but you are right, they are going to come out one of two ways, and you never know which one, but I would think the players want to send Carr (and now the assistant coaches) out with a big win

rolling baby
12-21-2007, 07:54 AM
At least these guys will have a head start on finding new jobs.

Storm
12-21-2007, 07:56 AM
You HAVE to think that Hart, et al want to send Carr out on a high note...I'm sure in the back of some of their minds, they feel responsible for him leaving...I think UF is a MUCH better team that Michigan, but you are right, they are going to come out one of two ways, and you never know which one, but I would think the players want to send Carr (and now the assistant coaches) out with a big win

i didn't mean to imply the players wouldn't go out and lay an egg. i meant the staff itself.

no doubt in my mind that Henne, Hart, and Long want nothing more than to carry Carr off the field with a win.

Doyle Hargraves
12-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Hey, you guys don't get the wrong idea. I'm not just sitting here crying my eyes out. I'm kinda hoping we can hire their QB coach to give Mallet another reason to transfer back "home". :pirate:

Storm
12-21-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't know. Michigan is known for putting QB's in the NFL. It wouldn't surprise me if Mallet just stayed at Michigan. Like Hail97 said, Mallet ran the spread in highschool, he's no stranger to that system. but hey, doesn't matter to me, i'm sure with an elite program name like Michigan, RR won't have any problems recruiting.

Tennessee
12-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Once Pryor gets there, I wonder if it will be like Florida from 2006-2007...Mallett is the main QB, with Pryor getting more involved in special situations like Tebow did his frosh year, then it's Pryor's team in 2009?

Dollar Theater
12-21-2007, 10:35 AM
A pre-season national championship favorite lost on their home field to a I-AA team. That team was heading in the wrong direction. Good move by Rodriguez to clean house.

Doyle Hargraves
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm hoping that Pryor(?) commits to Michigan and Mallet transfers to AR. In all honesty, I think that would be best for all. I can't see Mallet (6'7" 250 lbs.) running the spread-option. He cain't run like Tebow... ;)

Of course, it's not like Tebow can throw it as well as

McFadden! :rotf:
I'm only joking Florida fans.... J-O-K-E!

Storm
12-21-2007, 10:40 AM
LA....great point

Tennessee......Leak was a senior, Mallets only a sophmore. i don't know if they'd want that two headed system for three years.

georgiaguy31015
12-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Well I don't mind him bringing in his own guys but the timing definitely sucks. Not much you could do about that though I don't guess.

JagGator007
12-22-2007, 12:34 AM
That program is something else. RR was smart to clean house.

UM in the Bo coaching tree was outdated, inbred, stuffy, and perpetually overrated. I still can't believe that Bo himself never actually won even a share of the title. In all those years of Bo and his proteges, it only produced 1/2 of an NC. Notre Dame gets raked over the coals every year for being overrated, but atleast they actually win something once in a while!

UM is a half-asleep giant. They have been for decades. I'm not totally convinced on RR, but I'm not totally convinced on most hires. However, he is exactly what UM needs outside of the actual X's and O's. Someone to shake up the 1960's mindframes, and clear out the cobwebs. The pro-style offense is dead unless you have the horses to run it effectively (USC, LSU). The spread, you Big Ten heathens, isn't about running QB's or zone reads or sissy football. It's about finding mismatches in every nook and cranny, and exploiting them. Then repeating this exploitation for the rest of the game. The pro-style tends to be focused more on running "the system". Run the ball until it works. Pass out of the play-action whether it's selling or not. Some people call it persistance, I call it dumb. RR will bring UM into modern football. It might take some time to get the athletes he wants, but he'll figure something out in the meantime. I mean, could it could much worse than losing to a D-1AA school and getting beat down by the Buckeyes every year?

Storm
12-22-2007, 08:59 AM
awesome post Jag,.....LOL @ "Big Ten Heathens"

Really Big Bama Fan
12-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Well I don't mind him bringing in his own guys but the timing definitely sucks. Not much you could do about that though I don't guess.

GG,
I think it is a smart move by Rodriguez. One of the worst mistakes that Mike Shula made at Alabama was retaining most of the old Mike Price staff.

georgiaguy31015
12-22-2007, 09:59 AM
GG,
I think it is a smart move by Rodriguez. One of the worst mistakes that Mike Shula made at Alabama was retaining most of the old Mike Price staff.

Not saying it's not a smart move. I agree that you should bring your own guys in there. My point was that the timing is crappy. Not much anyone can do about that but I would hate to get fired this close to Christmas.