4-star John Jenkins picks Vandy [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 4-star John Jenkins picks Vandy

Vandy420
12-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Vandy got a committment from 4 star 2009 SG prospect John Jenkins from Station Camp High School. This is being reported from Jerry Meyer of Rivals.

The 6'-4" 4star SG committed while visiting Vandy this weekend. He said he chose Vandy over his #2 choice Tennessee and his #3 choice Kentucky.
He also had offers from Alabama, Miss. St. and Valporaiso.

He is averaging 30 points per game and is rated #95 in the 2009 class.

Scouting Report:
A prototypical high-major shooting guard, Jenkins shoots the ball with the best of them. He also compliments his deep shooting ability with a deceptive shot fake and strong two dribble game. Not the quickest player, Jenkins does use his length and intelligence to defend and rebound. Improving his strength and improving his ball handling are key areas where Jenkins can expand his game.

This is a great pick up for Vandy, especially since he is a local star.

Rocky@theTop
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Did he call and tell Tennessee and Kentucky "no thanks"?

Vandy420
12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
funny haha. I don't think UK or UT had offered him yet. He was being recruited by them both and was expecting offers but hadn't received one yet. He only received the Vandy offer last week. Bama and Miss. St. were the other 2 SEC teams that had offered so far.

Rocky@theTop
12-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a player... He stressed academics as a factor so he made a great choice. Both Jenkins and Vandy win... Congrats!

joehogjoe
12-10-2007, 02:03 PM
well if UK or Tenn wants him they have till Apr. to try and change his mind because the early signing period is over

Vandy420
12-10-2007, 03:16 PM
True but he has been pretty much decided on Vandy for a while just awaiting an offer. He has always been a Vandy fan and I believe Drew Maddux (former Vandy player) is his AAU coach. He said he was going to wait til his SR. year to decide but then said he and his parents decided it wasn't even a choice to go ahead and commit b/c they liked Vandy so much. Stallings is really showing alot in recruiting the last 2-3 years. He is on a roll and has this program going in the right direction, building a firm foundation for many years to come.

Rocky@theTop
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
well if UK or Tenn wants him they have till Apr. to try and change his mind because the early signing period is over

From my understanding; he's a very good player, but not one who would fit well into UT or UK's system. I don't think either were recruiting him very hard.

Vandy420
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
That is sad for those two programs if he wouldn't fit b/c the kid is a baller. He is a great shooter.

Why do you say he would not fit into those systems? Just wondering. He is rated the #3 prospect in TN for the 2009 class.

Rocky@theTop
12-10-2007, 03:33 PM
That is sad for those two programs if he wouldn't fit b/c the kid is a baller. He is a great shooter.

Why do you say he would not fit into those systems? Just wondering. He is rated the #3 prospect in TN for the 2009 class.

Tennessee and Kentucky both play at a fast pace. Tennessee calls their style "Controlled-Chaos". For instance; Derrick Byars would have worked under Bruce Pearl... not under Buzz Peterson when he wanted to come to UT. Just saying some work better in certain systems.

joehogjoe
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
From my understanding; he's a very good player, but not one who would fit well into UT or UK's system. I don't think either were recruiting him very hard.
well if I'd bother to read, I see that he can't sign a letter of commitment until Nov. 2008, so its a nice commitment, and UT and UK can follow his progress and determine whether to recruit him, as we all know a player can blossom in just a year or two at that age.

Vandy420
12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Vandy runs a very fast pace offense as well pushing the ball up court in transition very fast. Thats one reason Byers excelled at Vandy and now Jermaine Beal is excelling b/c he is a very fast pace type player as well. I think UT runs the full court press more than Vandy but on the offensive side we run similar offense in that they are both very fast pace and set up to push the ball up court quickly. We have gotten away from the princeton style offense the past 2-3 years, thus our improvements in scoring.

XPS
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Congrats to Vandy. They have really upgraded there recruiting...

VanderbiltPride
12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
He had his heart set on Vandy for awhile. Not surprised he committed.

GatorMan32
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Congrats Vandy! Great addition for you guys.

Vandy420
12-11-2007, 08:48 AM
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS07/712110355/1345/SPORTS

"Vanderbilt is the best place for me," Jenkins said. "My coaches asked me, 'If (North Carolina's) Roy Williams or Coach K (Duke's Mike Krzyzewski)calls, would you change your mind?' I don't think I would.

Virtually every SEC school has been recruiting Jenkins. Tennessee's Bruce Pearl and Alabama's Mark Gottfried have planned to come watch him Friday. Alabama and Mississippi State were among several schools to have offered.

VandyChuck
12-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Great pickup...

I hope we can keep our 3 pointers in consecutive games streak alive next year, cause this kid looks like he'll have it sewed up for the next 4 after that. (losing Red and Shan will leave us hurting for 3pt shooting next year!)

kentubbybasketball
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Honestly, I can never remember hearing this guy's name linked to Kentucky at any point in the past, so it's not one of those recruiting misses that you're disappointed over. I hope he does well for himself at Vandy. I don't even know anything about the guy, which is odd considering I usually know at least something about guys that UK is reportedly after... EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE ZERO SCHOLLYS TO OFFER TO HIS CLASS SINCE WE HAVE ONE COMMITMENT FOR THE ONE SCHOLLY WE DID HAVE.