The Best Playoff System [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : The Best Playoff System

Geaux 58 03 07
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Trying to keep the relevancy of the regular season intact while also putting together a solid playoff structure it tough. But Here's what I have come up with:

Keep the BCS Standings, use them for seeding and at-large berths.

8 teams, 6 major Conference Champions get automatic bids (As long as those champions are in the top 16 of the BCS.)

2 At-large berths to take 2 out of the following 3:

Highest ranked non-conference champion from a BCS conference
Highest ranked non-BCS conference champion
Notre Dame

If one of the 6 automatic qualifiers are not in the top 16 of the BCS, then the next highest ranked at-large team (again, one of the 3 listed above) gets the spot.

First round games are played on the home field of the top 4 qualifiers according to the BCS rankings (Must be a conference champion [BCS or Non-BCS] or Notre Dame, at-large non-conference champions must play on the road. Don't like it? Win your conference. Semifinal and final games are played at the same rotating sights that host the 4 major bowls. This year it would be New Orleans.

Here's what the playoffs would look like using the final BCS Standings (http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7518324_37_1.pdf)

Saturday, December 22nd

(8) Hawaii (WAC Champion-At Large)
at
(1) Ohio State (Big 10 Champion)

(5) Georgia (At-Large)
at
(4) Oklahoma (Big 12 Champion)

(6) USC (Pac-10 Champion)
at
(3) Virginia Tech (ACC Champion)

(7) West Virginia (Big East Champion)
at
(2) LSU (SEC Champion)

Semifinal Games-New Orleans, Saturday December 29th

Ohio State/Hawaii winner vs. Georgia/Oklahoma winner

USC/Virginia Tech Winner vs LSU/West Virginia Winner

The Sugar Bowl- New Orleans, Saturday January 5th

Teams TBA

This way the regular season is still VERY important. For example, West Virginia's loss to Pitt drops them from a home game against Hawaii in Morgantown to traveling to Baton Rouge. Yikes. Conference Championship Games would turn into defacto playoff games themselves. Michigan-Ohio State and USC-UCLA would have also acted as such. Thoughts?

georgiaguy31015
12-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Those would be great games as well. I would like to see those.

Storm
12-04-2007, 11:40 PM
just what we need, another playoff thread......LOL

8 teams is better than 16, but look at what you basically have after it's down to 4:

(my predictions of course)
OSU
LSU
Georgia
USC

that's basically your plus 1 system this year......extra games on these kids is not what is needed.

If anything more than a plus 1 system is ever added, i'll feel sorry for the first kid to suffer an injury......that's what i hate about all this playoff talk.

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 12:05 AM
That would be a good system.

GATARob01
12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
just what we need, another playoff thread......LOL

8 teams is better than 16, but look at what you basically have after it's down to 4:

(my predictions of course)
OSU
LSU
Georgia
USC

that's basically your plus 1 system this year......extra games on these kids is not what is needed.

If anything more than a plus 1 system is ever added, i'll feel sorry for the first kid to suffer an injury......that's what i hate about all this playoff talk.

Why is it that every other division of college football has a playoff...But if Div. 1-A has a playoff...We gotta start worrying about injuries and academics...

boxvic
12-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Why is it that every other division of college football has a playoff...But if Div. 1-A has a playoff...We gotta start worrying about injuries and academics...

Exactly. I see no reason why FBS teams cannot play by the same rule as FCS teams. There is no real argument against a playoff system that truly makes any sense since the lower levels have been having playoffs for... well... a long time.

Storm
12-05-2007, 12:57 AM
how many games per year do they play? what is the eventual champs final record?

i'm asking because I don't know. someone please expand on this for me.

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 12:59 AM
how many games per year do they play? what is the eventual champs final record?

i'm asking because I don't know. someone please expand on this for me.

Last year App. State went 14-1 winning the FCS (1AA) title.

http://www.goasu.com/football/schedule/2006/

Storm
12-05-2007, 01:02 AM
and what did Florida finish the season as?

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 01:07 AM
and what did Florida finish the season as?

13-1 in 2006.....

Storm
12-05-2007, 01:16 AM
see, they play one extra game.....the scenarios i see around here, with 16 team playoffs will add 4 extra games onto someones season. you want to tell me that we'd be happy making these kids play 17 games in a season?

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 01:42 AM
see, they play one extra game.....the scenarios i see around here, with 16 team playoffs will add 4 extra games onto someones season. you want to tell me that we'd be happy making these kids play 17 games in a season?

They could do away with the mandatory 12th game and make it optional.

Besides, only two teams would play the maximum number of games, only four would play 16, 8 would play 14 or 15. It's not as if all 110 teams are playing 17 games.

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 01:45 AM
also, d-1aa play only 10 games a regular season and I don't think they have conference title games.

Storm
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
if they want to shorten the season to 10 games and eliminate conference championships at Div I, the i say go for it. but just quit comparing them and saying "well, it works for DII," when it's obvious that the system is completely different.

that's not directed at you 06, thanks for the info.

Dawg in Dallas
12-05-2007, 10:22 AM
This is the best system I have seen, but I still prefer the old school Bowls over what we have now.

If they do go to some sort of playoff system, I think the regular season should be 11 games MAX.

ACCFanInTraining
12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree. 11-game regular season. Championship game. About a month off to recuperate/exams. Play the playoffs in 3 weeks.

joehogjoe
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
the 12 game is here to stay, because of revenue

Wronghorns
12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I read this article at ESPN that lines out the BCS. Here's an excerpt.

Along these lines, football-factory schools may not necessarily mind that no true champion is crowned. Under the BCS and the previous dueling-polls system, two or three colleges may assert a plausible claim to the crown. It's easy to imagine a scenario in which this season ends with four teams (the winners of the BCS, Orange, Rose and Fiesta bowls) all claiming to be the national champion. The more the merrier! With a playoff format, only one college team can end the year calling itself the best.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen in football? When we play games, there's a clear-cut winner and a clear-cut loser. Why can't the whole thing be like that?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071204&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Storm
12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
that's why some schools "claim" more championships then they are actually "recognized" for.......LOL

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 03:35 PM
the 12 game is here to stay, because of revenue

Thats why it should be optional.

GATARob01
12-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Also, if you made the playoffs you would potentially have more home games for the 1st couple of rounds. Just like the other divisions of college football.

Storm
12-05-2007, 03:52 PM
you're asking them to basically completely overhaul a system that's been in place for over a 100 years.....good luck with that.

GATARob01
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
you're asking them to basically completely overhaul a system that's been in place for over a 100 years.....good luck with that.

So, should we keep a system that no one likes just because of tradition?

Storm
12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
complete overhaul, yes....tweaking of the system, do it.

i'm not against change, just the huge one people want. Plus 1 is the system I agree with. that's all i'm saying. You're wasting your breath trying to convince me otherwise.

2008 National Champions
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM

It's been changed throughout the years, there used to be no bowl games, then they added the bowl games. but the bowl games didnt count, then the bowl games counted. then they added conference title games, the bowl alliance and the bcs along with things like overtime and instant replay.

There is plenty of evidence that fbs cfb is willing to change and there is evidence that a playoff in college football can exist. (fcs)

GATARob01
12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Would a +1 format work by putting 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 and then the winners of those games goes to the National Title?

Storm
12-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Would a +1 format work by putting 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 and then the winners of those games goes to the National Title?

that is exactly what the plus 1 system is......what do you think of that idea?

georgiaguy31015
12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
also, d-1aa play only 10 games a regular season and I don't think they have conference title games.

You are right on the conference title games I believe.