More Hopson news if anybody cares [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : More Hopson news if anybody cares

Fatboy
12-02-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/284/story/247178.html

Committed to Bulldogs, sort of
HOPSON DELAYS SIGNING UNTIL SPRING, AND HE'LL HEAR OTHER OFFERS
By Jerry Tipton
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER
UHA's Scotty Hopson, left, hasn't ruled out Kentucky entirely, but he said his commitment to Mississippi State is "firm enough" for now. Photo by Tim Webb | Associated Press
TIM WEBB
UHA's Scotty Hopson, left, hasn't ruled out Kentucky entirely, but he said his commitment to Mississippi State is "firm enough" for now. Photo by Tim Webb | Associated Press

A 32-point performance at Tates Creek on Friday night clearly showed why Scotty Hopson of University Heights is considered one of the nation's better prospects. But his college choice remains obscured.

"I'm still committed to Mississippi State," he said after the game.

When asked how firm that commitment is given that he did not sign with the Bulldogs during the weeklong November period, Hopson said, "It's firm. It's firm enough."

Yet Hopson also said he will entertain recruiting pitches from other schools.

Yes, Kentucky has made its interest known. When asked about UK, Hopson said the Cats were "maybe in the mix. I can't say right now."

He's concentrating on his senior season.

The player's mother, Jeannette Hopson, and his coach, Randy McCoy, suggested that Mississippi State remains the school to beat.

"I still think there's a chance he'll go to Mississippi State," McCoy said. "I think there's a big chance he'll go to Mississippi State."

The decision to delay a decision until the spring signing period (mid-April to mid-May) was to make certain of the choice.

"We like Mississippi State," Jeannette Hopson said. "There's nothing wrong with Mississippi State. We just want to make sure."

There's been much talk in recruiting circles about schools wooing Hopson with their plans of preparing him for the NBA. Supposedly, Mississippi State has told him of its two-year plan to get him into the NBA.

Hopson's mother nodded in the affirmative when asked about that.

Then UK supposedly countered by saying it had a one-year plan. No one confirmed or denied that.

"They say they'd like to have him on the team," Jeannette Hopson said. "That's basically it."

McCoy, who formerly worked as an assistant at Pikeville College and Morehead State, is no novice when it comes to recruiting pitches. He had a funny take on the various plans.

"I have a four-month plan," the University Heights coach said in reference to this season. "I can't worry about their two-year plans or one-year plans.

"I told Scotty, wherever you go -- if you're ready to go to the next level -- if it's one year, great. If it's two years, great. If it's three years, great. My point is I just don't want you to try it too early. A lot of great players have tried, and I can't tell you where they're at. They're playing in Algeria or Albania or Croatia."

Of course, Kentucky has several players on the roster or already committed who are of similar size and position going into next season: Jodie Meeks, Derrick Jasper, Alex Legion and DeAndre Liggins, to name four. Hopson dismissed that as a factor.

"Wherever I go, I'm pretty sure I won't have to play behind anybody," he said.

msubulldog0610
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Well it doesn't sound like anything has changed much but it seems to shed light that he is pretty committed to MSU..However, if Jamont stays next year, which he might, I think he might be playing behind someone...However he is very talented so I couldn't say for sure..I hope he keeps his commitment and signs with the Bulldogs..Scotty Hopson ______x Sign Here..He should keep his word like Romero and Dee did..I know he's a kid and all but if he changes his mind its rude because he didn't give much notice about it..He'll make the right decision, I think he'll be a Bulldog..

Fatboy
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Can anyone explain this to me?

There's been much talk in recruiting circles about schools wooing Hopson with their plans of preparing him for the NBA. Supposedly, Mississippi State has told him of its two-year plan to get him into the NBA.

Then UK supposedly countered by saying it had a one-year plan. No one confirmed or denied that.

msubulldog0610
12-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Quote:

Hmm I don't really know..Why do we even tell him he can leave after 2 years..Just let him decide when he wants to leave..I mean if he comes here I wouldn't want him to leave after a year cause he wouldn't be ready for the NBA..Its stupid to leave after one year unless ur the best in the country like Durant...He has a Myspace and is all into himself with pics of him and Vince Carter and him and Lebron..I just don't think he'll stay all four but I think its the best thing for any college player to get a degree and then go...Hopefully Jamont decides to stay his senior year, which I think he will..

Rocky@theTop
12-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Waiting for a higher bidder perhaps?

kentubbybasketball
12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I would wish Kentucky wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot poll. Kentucky doesn't need this kind of indeciveness on its roster.

Fatboy
12-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I would wish Kentucky wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot poll. Kentucky doesn't need this kind of indeciveness on its roster.
Especially for only one year:rotf:
Wait maybe that will be a good thing.

kentubbybasketball
12-02-2007, 10:27 PM
That's the thing he's a one year player, which means he's got talent to help right away, but is he worth potentially losing another guy over that's got pretty good talent too?

msudawgs1964
12-02-2007, 10:49 PM

and I wish State would say, thanks but no thanks, we have decided to use that scholly on someone else. But hey if you and your mom think you are NBA material after 2 years and that is the route you are taking, then go wherever you want.

kentubbybasketball
12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
You want the "NBA level" players though. That's the only reason Gillispie took two assistants and Legion to go see him at Tates Creek the other night. It's the same reason Stansbury has his hands tied behind his back unfortunately.

msudawgs1964
12-02-2007, 11:33 PM
well I can see what you are saying and only agree with it since that is the nature of the beast unfortunately, but my personal view is I don't want NBA level players as freshmen. In my perfect world all players in every sport are committed to 4 years to the school. LOL

After their 4 year committment is up, they can do what they want, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. I guess being a veteran I have a different view of the word committment.

fodive
12-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Dave Odom has said he doesn't try and recruit guys who he thinks will be at school for less than 4 years.

Dave Odom is a moron.

msudawgs1964
12-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Dave Odom has said he doesn't try and recruit guys who he thinks will be at school for less than 4 years.

Dave Odom is a moron.

lol, yeah I like the thought process behind that in theory but the cold hard facts are if you don't recruit those players, you get beat by them.

fodive
12-02-2007, 11:48 PM
lol, yeah I like the thought process behind that in theory but the cold hard facts are if you don't recruit those players, you get beat by them.

Great thought process 20 years ago. You can't win in modern college basketball consistently without that kind of talent on your roster, regardless of how long they stay.

msudawgs1964
12-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Great thought process 20 years ago. You can't win in modern college basketball consistently without that kind of talent on your roster, regardless of how long they stay.

true, that is why I am not a coach of any sort. I like getting my nice paycheck and not having to worry about being fired for not recruiting the next MJ

:cheers:

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM

GD88, had a great line a few years back, that Odom really knows basketball, but some of his methods might be outdated.

fodive
12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
GD88, had a great line a few years back, that Odom really knows basketball, but some of his methods might be outdated.

He doesn't know when to call timeouts or how to draw up a play in the final 30 seconds, either.

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I think Coach Odom is maybe the second most respected coach in the league after Billy Donovan when you talk to other coaches. His knowledge of the game is very apparent. But, he's in a tough division, where he's usually outtalented by other teams' players.