Rotnei Clarke is a Razorback!! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Rotnei Clarke is a Razorback!!

Just Some Hog Dude
11-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Just announced on KTUL.

georgiaguy31015
11-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Congrats Arkansas.

PiggoBitttys
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Wahoo!!! This is great news! Arkansas has two top notch guards coming in next year, it should be awesome for Pel's style of play.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-21-2007, 11:56 PM
If Daniel Payne signs too then it looks like we will have a top ten class. That's impressive considering Pelphrey got such a late start.

hawgwild
11-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Wooo Pig! Very good news.

PiggoBitttys
11-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Possibly Payne AND another JUCO C. No word yet on who that might be, but I know with Joyner likely not gaining eligibility, they could actually have 7 sign. Rotnei makes 5 including Joyner. Add Payne and a C, and the class would look like:

PG Courtney Fortson
SG Rotnei Clarke
SF Daniel Payne
SF/PF Andre Clark
PF Brandon Moore
C JUCO GUY???

Sounds like a perfectly awesome class to me.

hawgwild
11-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I think after payne we should put our efforts toward 09.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Sounds awesome Piggo. Talk about filling all your needs with a well balanced class.

Now the fans in NWA need to start packing BWA again and show your appreciation for the hard work.

PiggoBitttys
11-22-2007, 12:42 AM
200% agree with ya JSHD. I've been a little disappointed in the crowds for the exhibitions and the season opener. I know it's better than most schools around the country, but we should expect better here.

I REALLY hope we win that Missouri game. I think BWA will be full for that, if we win that game, I think people will keep coming back and that's a good sign this team is pretty good. But time will tell. In the long run, if Pel wins, people will show back up regardless. I'd just rather them do it tomorrow than next year, as I'm sure you do as well.

XPS
11-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Congrats Arkansas got a GREAT shooter...:)

Hogger
11-22-2007, 01:23 AM
VERY nice pick up.

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Possibly Payne AND another JUCO C. No word yet on who that might be, but I know with Joyner likely not gaining eligibility, they could actually have 7 sign. Rotnei makes 5 including Joyner. Add Payne and a C, and the class would look like:

PG Courtney Fortson
SG Rotnei Clarke
SF Daniel Payne
SF/PF Andre Clark
PF Brandon Moore
C JUCO GUY???

Sounds like a perfectly awesome class to me.

Congrats on the pickup of Rotnei Clarke. He's one of the players that I pinpointed in this class as a guy that could make a big difference for a program if he's got a great point guard and great bigs to work with (kind of like Lee Humphrey).

Piggo, I want to comment on something you said in the post above that I quoted. You said it's a "perfectly awesome class." I agree 200% with you on that for a number of reasons.

1. It's perfect because it's SEC caliber talent. Arkansas already has quality SEC talent, and with this class the talent level will at worse stay the same. These guys are talented for sure.

2. It's perfect because it really fits a full lineup. As you have laid out Pelphrey recruited every position. He's getting his guys in early at every position, which will help him out quickly.

3. It's pefect because it has classification balance. Everybody thought this was the year to hire a new coach at Arkansas, since this year there would be at least 7 schollys to offer. The new coach would be able to get his guys in quickly and he'd be able to put his stamp on the program sooner than most new coaches are able to. But, I like what Pel did with those 7 schollys. Some coaches refuse to go the JUCO route (including Pel's mentor Billy D), but Pel realizing he has 7 schollys knows he maybe needs to get multiple JUCOs to have balance in the classes. This will also open schollys in two years, which otherwise they might not be there had he gotten al 4 year players.

Pel's first class is a hit. Even though there is no straight superstar in the bunch, like a Greg Monroe or Brandon Jennings, these are all guys that can help Arkansas at some point in the future.

PiggoBitttys
11-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks KT. Good stuff as always. That's a good point about the talent coming in at every position. I think you are right. With a new style of play, we now have players at every position that Pelphrey can mold into his style. I think it will help get his team where he wants to be quicker.

Also, I think we'll actually only end up with 6. I was a little unclear on what I meant, I think they will actually only take 6, with Joyner not qualifying. Basically, Joyner needed 2 core classes in his post-grad school, but NCAA rules only allow one to be accepted from there. So, he will appeal to the NCAA, but you know how they are. So, right now, he's penciled in at most. It would leave us with 6 signees, 4 freshman, 2 JUCO transfers. Then the next year, I think Pelphrey can add 2-3 more, with Beverley likely leaving after this year or his JR year.

It definitely should be more balanced than what we had.

hawgwild
11-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I dont see bev leaving till after his SR year.

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I would agree about Beverly using all 4 years.

PiggoBitttys
11-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Dudley Dawson(reporter), who has talked with Beverley many times in interviews, as well as Coach Pelphrey and others around the program, seems to think differently. We shall see.

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I would assume much of it has to do with how the NBA feels, too.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Pel's first class is a hit. Even though there is no straight superstar in the bunch, like a Greg Monroe or Brandon Jennings, these are all guys that can help Arkansas at some point in the future.

Funny that you mention those two.

Bob Gibbons, who has been the publisher of All Star Sports Reports since 1978and rates prospects for ESPN, said he saw Fortson play against Brandon Jennings of Oak Hill Academy, whom many consider the nation's best point guard, in an Oct 11 exhibition game.

"He really outplayed him [Jennings ]," Gibbons said. "Courtney had like 27 points. He's really an explosive player. He's improved his three-point shot. I think he's the best postgraduate point guard in the nation. He's going to be a terrific addition to the Razorbacks. He's a great kid that plays hard on both ends of the floor. He's a coach's dream as a point guard."

New Orleans Holy Cross forward Brandon Moore is another promising signee. Coach Juan Lumas thinks Moore is bordering on being an elite player.

Great rebounder and shot blocker, said Lumas of the 6-9, 215-pound Moore. I think he defends and rebounds the best. Hes quick enough to guard guys on the perimeter but yet lengthy enough to guard guys in the post. His ball handling is his weakest part of his game. If he gets his ball handling to a better level, he can be as an elite player as youll find. New Orleans was abuzz Saturday night when Harvey (La. ) Cox High School, led by center Greg Monroe, took on Holy Cross. Monroe, 6-10, who signed with Georgetown, is considered by many as the best big man in the nation. Cox won the game 52-41. Holy Cross was shorthanded with some players still playing football.

Lumas talked about the battle of the big men, who are the best of friends.

They balanced each other out, He said. It was a great battle, they went at it. Lots of dunks, lots of blocked shots, fast-paced game. It was fun to see those guys go at it. Brandon had 18 points, 10 rebounds and 5 blocks. Greg had 20 points, 8 rebounds and 3 or 4 blocks.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/story.php?paper=adg&storyid=208278

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I think both Fortson and Moore are good... don't get me wrong. It seems like Monroe and Jennings have been better on a more consistent basis, since there's such a huge disparity when where they're ranked. Monroe and Jennings are ranked #1 on some lists, while Moore is outside the top 100 and Fortson is just inside it. That's why I mentioned those guys, not to suggest Fortson or Moore could not play at their level.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-22-2007, 10:46 PM
That just shows you how bunk those rankings are. I think head to head matchups are very telling. The rankings are out of date anyway.

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 10:58 PM
But, you can't base things solely on head to head matchups. Certain players just won't look good against certain teams... the matchup just isn't advantageous. For instance, a center in this league might look good playing against UK's weak inside game, but he would likely look bad against Arkansas, because Steven Hill would be a menace. The ranking system does take into account head to head tilts from what I can gather, but it's not the end-all, be-all.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
The fact is, Courtney Forstson outplayed Jennings in a head to head matchup with them guarding each other. Moore also outplayed Monroe in the same situation. Moore's team was actually missing some starters due to football. The rankings have not been updated since this occurred. We will see how they look in a few weeks.

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 11:18 PM
JSHD, I can remember a time when Tarence Kinsey outplayed Kobe Bryant last year in an NBA game, but I wouldn't say based off that one performance that Kinsey > Bryant. One game doesn't say a lot about a player's ability. I would expect guys to play up when they are going against Jennings afterall.

PiggoBitttys
11-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Only time will tell, KT is right that there's no hyped superstar in the class, but I feel like these can be very talented guys who could be here 4 years. Sometimes that's just as good or better than a star who's one and done. Plus, most of those guys had offers from big-time schools.

FYI, on the post-grad list, Fortson is ranked the #2 PG right behind Jennings according to Scout.

The_R@zorb@ck
11-23-2007, 10:56 AM
What huge gets for Pelphrey. Clark, Payne and Fortson are all going to be immediate impact guys. This was an extremely important year for recruiting and Pelphrey, despite coming in behind the eight-ball, delivered big-time. Obviously, guard depth and ball-handling issues shouldn't be problems next season.

Have I mentioned how freakin sweet I think Pel is? All he does is scream during games, the team has a bad showing and he makes them pay for it the next day, and he's going out and getting good players that fit into his system. Pel might've been No. 7 when he got hired, but boy, he's moving up those charts quickly in my book. I think he's perfect for us.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Pel might've been No. 7 when he got hired, but boy, he's moving up those charts quickly in my book. I think he's perfect for us.

Billy G only has two recruits. It's early but so far it looks like Pelphrey was the better choice. Pel is also 4-0 against Billy in recruiting battles(Clark, Clarke, Sanchez, Fortson) too. It is looking like we got lucky when Billy G turned us down.

hawgwild
11-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I think its safe to say Pel was the better choice for US, because of style of play, but you cant say he is going to be better right now than billy g.

kentubbybasketball
11-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Only time will tell, KT is right that there's no hyped superstar in the class, but I feel like these can be very talented guys who could be here 4 years. Sometimes that's just as good or better than a star who's one and done. Plus, most of those guys had offers from big-time schools.

FYI, on the post-grad list, Fortson is ranked the #2 PG right behind Jennings according to Scout.

I agree completely. I think you need a mix of superstar talent and experienced good players to win that national title personally. It seems like Arkansas will have both in about 3 years with this class.

joehogjoe
11-25-2007, 11:52 PM
It looks good to sign a player like clarke, but I think he's overrated and against quality defensive players he will not be able to get his shot off.

kentubbybasketball
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
joe, that's kind of what I was saying earlier in this thread. I think he's a great player, but I really question where his athleticism puts him in this league.

hawgwild
11-26-2007, 12:27 AM
didnt he average 25 a game in AAU?

kentubbybasketball
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure if he did or not, but AAU ball certainly isn't what I would say is the best indicator of how a player will be. Scotty Hopson comes to mind.

leland5
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Good pick- up.

hawgwild
11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
What is the best indicator?

Just Some Hog Dude
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
They are just racist against Rotnei. Hopefully he will pull a Steve Nash on their azz or atleast a Steve Kerr. lol

kentubbybasketball
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
What is the best indicator?

I don't think there necessarily is a "best indicator" per say. Instead, I think you take a look at a lot of things, AAU ball being one of them, also their work ethic, their actual athletic ability, how they function on their high school team, etc.

hawgwild
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I think he has all 4 of those down.

joehogjoe
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
They are just racist against Rotnei. Hopefully he will pull a Steve Nash on their azz or atleast a Steve Kerr. lol
how can a white guy be racist against a white guy, don't be foolish.
Rotnei doesn't have the foot speed IMHO to be open against the best defensive talent in the SEC. He''ll need an offense that will set screens and set his shot up for him because he will have trouble creating his own.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, lots of big programs were on him so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He had over twenty five offers. I guess you can't say that about Jason Gilbert or Cannon Whitby now can you?

hawgwild
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
how can a white guy be racist against a white guy, don't be foolish.
Rotnei doesn't have the foot speed IMHO to be open against the best defensive talent in the SEC. He''ll need an offense that will set screens and set his shot up for him because he will have trouble creating his own.

Not saying its not true, but which particular clip that you saw him in did he show bad foot speed? or have you seen him in person?

joehogjoe
11-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Well, lots of big programs were on him so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He had over twenty five offers. I guess you can't say that about Jason Gilbert or Cannon Whitby now can you?

Whitby was fairly well recruited as was gilbert(don't know how many offers, Whitby was ages ago). We'll see. Im not saying he's going to be a bust, but some adjustments will be made offensively for him.
The footage I've seen on him shows a decent range, not particularly deep but good, but he doesn't have the quickest release, nor is he a burner on the floor. But then neither was Pelphrey and he'd kill you given the chance.

kentubbybasketball
11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I agree. The fact that he's not a five star player means that he has some kind of deficiency in his game, especially in this class that lacks the star quality of its two predecessor. Saying Clarke has things to work on is basically agreeing with what he's said about his own game. Nobody's clowning the guy. I wanted him at Kentucky more than just about any Arkansas fan wanted him... go back and look this summer.

Players have things to work on. If I were to say DeAndre Liggins needs to improve his shooting... that's just an observation... one that Gillispie has even made. I'm not saying the guy can't hack it. The same with Clarke here.

joehogjoe
11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
according to another site he's a ball hog too, still he score 50 last night

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah he averaged like 39 last year or something.