Hopson officially dead with MSU??? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Hopson officially dead with MSU???

Rocky@theTop
11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Both Rob Lewis (Volquest) and Marc Maggard (KentuckyInk) have said it's a race between Tennessee and Georgia Tech with Kentucky in 3rd.

What soured the family on MSU?

OffThePorch
11-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Until he signs with someone its all speculation. Who really knows with this family. Scotty is still listed as a solid verbal for MSU on Rivals.

Dawg
11-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Only days ago it was reported that Hopson was officially signing with MSU. I see no reason to believe anything until it actually happens.

kentubbybasketball
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Rocky, I honestly don't want him at Kentucky. I'm not sure dealing with his posse/family is worth the trouble when we can attract players that are just as good honestly.

But, the word I received is that he's reopening his recruitment next week, and honestly, who reopens their recruitment and goes back to the same school they once committed to, so I gotta say, he probably is dead with MSU.

Today was the last day of the signing period, right, so what does MSU do now for backups? Most of the other guys that are around his talent level that are left uncommitted already have long established lists... and there's really not a lot of options. He screwed MSU if he doesn't end up there and it's a shame that players can get away with this kind of thing.

OffThePorch
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
you can hope. but nobody knows.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Rocky, I honestly don't want him at Kentucky. I'm not sure dealing with his posse/family is worth the trouble when we can attract players that are just as good honestly.

But, the word I received is that he's reopening his recruitment next week, and honestly, who reopens their recruitment and goes back to the same school they once committed to, so I gotta say, he probably is dead with MSU.

Today was the last day of the signing period, right, so what does MSU do now for backups? Most of the other guys that are around his talent level that are left uncommitted already have long established lists... and there's really not a lot of options. He screwed MSU if he doesn't end up there and it's a shame that players can get away with this kind of thing.

Good point, I'm over him though. Its to the point that if he's not 100% committed to coming to MSU then go somewhere else. We still bring in a very good class and Stansbury has always been able to bring talent to Starkville.

kentubbybasketball
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM
That's true. Stansbury already has great guard depth in place. Gordon is leaving perhaps after this year, so Hopson would have been the superstar to replace that superstar. But, if his heart isn't really into MSU, he's not gonna compete/produce at the level he's capable anyway.

MSU will recover from this. Even if I have a reputation for being an MSU hater (don't understand that), one thing that I have always admired about MSU is Rick Stansbury. He's always been able to recruit well, and MSU's program is at a level now that one player won't make or break their program. Stansbury will recover from this just as he's recovered from past commitments that went straight to the NBA.

MissKitty
11-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Posse/Family He screwed MSU if he doesn't end up there and it's a shame that players can get away with this kind of thing.

Holy ****, you've gotta be kidding me. A kid can't changes his mind BEFORE he signs a LOI? The comments I'm seeing on this board about Hopson are way over the top.

This is a 17 year old kid we're talking about. He's taking a second look at a decision that could effect the rest of HIS life. He hasn't commited any crime, he hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't signed anything, he has the RIGHT to change his mind.

Myself, I'd love to have this kid and his so called posse family, at UK. Hopkinsville has been good to UK. However if he signs a LOI with MSU, UT or whoever, he's still a KENTUCKY kid and I wish him nothing but the best.

You people need to take a reality check here. This is way rediculous.

orange&white
11-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Holy ****, you've gotta be kidding me. A kid can't changes his mind BEFORE he signs a LOI? The comments I'm seeing on this board about Hopson are way over the top.

This is a 17 year old kid we're talking about. He's taking a second look at a decision that could effect the rest of HIS life. He hasn't commited any crime, he hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't signed anything, he has the RIGHT to change his mind.

Myself, I'd love to have this kid and his so called posse family, at UK. Hopkinsville has been good to UK. However if he signs a LOI with MSU, UT or whoever, he's still a KENTUCKY kid and I wish him nothing but the best.

I agree Miss Kitty, while it sucks for MSU that Hopson is going to leave them hanging at the alter, IT IS HIS RIGHT TO DECIDE. Picking a school for anything, especially athletics is a huge decision. UT fans are still mad at Chris Simms and Chris Leak (more Leak's father) for screwing over UT at the last second, but hey that's recruiting. People change their mind, that's why schools never stop recruiting them when they verbally commit.

PiggoBitttys
11-23-2007, 10:45 AM
But if a school offers a guy, said guy commits, but school finds a better player, yanks his offer right before signing day and gives it to the other kid, that school will catch some flak for it. Just like Hopson is catching some flak.

Noone is saying Hopson is a bad kid, well, they shouldn't be, but this is a bit of a bush league thing to do right on signing day.

What did he find out in the last 48 hours that he didn't know before? Why wait until the last possible moment to let a school know you're not signing there?

MissKitty
11-23-2007, 10:58 AM
What did he find out in the last 48 hours that he didn't know before? Why wait until the last possible moment to let a school know you're not signing there?

I don't know, and neither does anyone else on this board. None of us know what may have or may not have happend with Hopson. I do know comparing a 17 year old kid changing his mind to a coach who is a grown man offering a scholarship isn't a very good comparison.

kentubbybasketball
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
But if a school offers a guy, said guy commits, but school finds a better player, yanks his offer right before signing day and gives it to the other kid, that school will catch some flak for it. Just like Hopson is catching some flak.

Noone is saying Hopson is a bad kid, well, they shouldn't be, but this is a bit of a bush league thing to do right on signing day.

I agree completely. I understand Hopson wanting to rethink things, but it's bad practice to let the school you've been committed to since October know right before signing period. If he wasn't committed to MSU, I'm sure MSU deserved the common courtesy (maybe it's not common though) of knowing so. But, to leave the school stranded like this is ridiculous. Are we suggesting people should just make commitments and then not follow through with them? I mean, honestly.

I am all for people taking a second look at things, but sometimes people need to consider the timing of when they are taking the second look. It's like Billy Donovan going to Orlando and then leaving. Billy D was classy enough to leave after only 3 days... he didn't stay for months and then decide to leave right before the season. Hopson committed to MSU in October 2006... now all of a sudden on signing day he doesn't sign and gives MSU no indication that he's even rethinking the decision? He even goes so far as to say back in July that he's still committed to MSU.. he even said that last week, but if that's true, he would sign with the school.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Good points Piggo and KT. MissKitty I do here what your saying as well but don't wait until signing day to change your mind, I'm sure he knew long before that.

kentubbybasketball
11-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Good points Piggo and KT. MissKitty I do here what your saying as well but don't wait until signing day to change your mind, I'm sure he knew long before that.

Exactly... and don't say you're 100% committed to MSU in July and then during the signing period last week if you're not gonna sign. He left MSU out to dry, and he's doing it because he knows he can get away with it. That's simply all it is. If he were some 3 star player, he wouldn't have the audacity to do that.

msudawg4life
11-23-2007, 04:55 PM
pulling this kind of crap I hope the kid gets what he deserves and doesnt get to play ANYWHERE......i'll leave the reason up to your own imagination.

leland5
11-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Please........ Don't wish anything bad for Scotty/anyone.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
4life, your on your own with that one.

OffThePorch
11-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Its Hopsons right to wait if he wants to. Several of the bigger name players are waiting. If Stans wants to drop him thats his right. Rivals still has Hopson listed as a solid verbal.
When he signs somewhere it will be news, until then its just a guess. btw im not sure the kid will make it on grades. besides that good luck to him wherever.

kentubbybasketball
11-24-2007, 11:03 AM
pulling this kind of crap I hope the kid gets what he deserves and doesnt get to play ANYWHERE......i'll leave the reason up to your own imagination.

Bro, I don't think you really mean that.

OffThePorch
11-24-2007, 11:26 AM
maybe he does and maybe he doesnt.

msudawg4life
11-24-2007, 11:27 AM
your right :)

it's all good....karma will catch up to him sooner or later if he makes the wrong decision.

georgiaguy31015
11-24-2007, 11:29 AM
your right :)

it's all good....karma will catch up to him sooner or later if he makes the wrong decision.

He has to go to a place where he feels comfortable. Maybe that's MSU and maybe that's not but to wish bad things on this kid or think karma is going to get him because he didn't go to your school is ridiculous.

GatorMan32
11-24-2007, 01:38 PM

You use a different standard for kids from Kentucky that you want at Kentucky. Nothing has changed for months with any coaching situation. He made a commitment and MSU honored it by not recruiting back up plans. Had he decommitted a couple of months ago so MSU had options to replace him, fine. Waiting until after the early signing period to screw them over with this change is ********. Plain and simple its a crappy thing to do to someone who has invested so much in their relationship with you. Is he a horrible person? No. Considering the rumors have proven true, it seems like he had a change in mind for a while and waited until MSU was screwed to make it public. That is hardly a quality character move.

That is my peace on this.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-24-2007, 03:03 PM
You use a different standard for kids from Kentucky that you want at Kentucky. Nothing has changed for months with any coaching situation. He made a commitment and MSU honored it by not recruiting back up plans. Had he decommitted a couple of months ago so MSU had options to replace him, fine. Waiting until after the early signing period to screw them over with this change is ********. Plain and simple its a crappy thing to do to someone who has invested so much in their relationship with you. Is he a horrible person? No. Considering the rumors have proven true, it seems like he had a change in mind for a while and waited until MSU was screwed to make it public. That is hardly a quality character move.

Great post!!

msudawgs1964
11-24-2007, 03:41 PM

personally Miss Kitty, I have no problem with the kid changing his mind or taking a second look, but as of this date, I have yet to read a single thing from HIM that HE did anything, more like his mom has made his decision for HIM on the rest of HIS life. Now who needs a reality check? Sounds like his mom does, since it appears she is shopping the kid around to the highest bidder.

GatorMan32
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
personally Miss Kitty, I have no problem with the kid changing his mind or taking a second look, but as of this date, I have yet to read a single thing from HIM that HE did anything, more like his mom has made his decision for HIM on the rest of HIS life. Now who needs a reality check? Sounds like his mom does, since it appears she is shopping the kid around to the highest bidder.

repped.

msudawg4life
11-24-2007, 11:00 PM
He has to go to a place where he feels comfortable. Maybe that's MSU and maybe that's not but to wish bad things on this kid or think karma is going to get him because he didn't go to your school is ridiculous.

sad thing is...it's not him...it's his mommy

georgiaguy31015
11-25-2007, 01:58 AM
sad thing is...it's not him...it's his mommy

Either way I think my point still stands.

kentubbybasketball
11-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Amen... I think Kitty is just biased on this, which is alright since we all have biases. But, I will say had Darius Miller did this to Kentucky, she would have been angry... and the Miller just verballed to us in September. Hopson had verballed a year ago, and then repeatedly said he was MSU's when people would ask about Kentucky.

I agree with you on your "peace."

OffThePorch
11-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Hopson is still listed as a solid verbal to MSU by Rivals. Until he signs with someone else this is all pointless, but carry on.