Rotnei Clarke [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Rotnei Clarke

hawgwild
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
I hear he is announcing and signing tomorrow and its looking good in the neighborhood.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
That's awesome news!

XPS
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
GREAT shooter that will excel in Pel's system. Congrats...

hawgwild
11-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Wait till tomorrow for the congratz though, just to be sure. Who knows what could happen.

XPS
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Wait till tomorrow for the congratz though, just to be sure. Who knows what could happen.

Recruiting is a crazy thing for sure...:doh:

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Hopefully he does go to Arkansas. It feeds more into my opinion that Arkansas is one West team to make some upward movement over the next few years. Oddly, Clarke is rated at a similar position to Beverly in the class, but he's probably better than that. This is the kind of guy that can help make Pel's system lethal. Imagine how an opponent would feel, after Arkansas just flustered you and got a turnover only to convert that into a transition three pointer by Clarke.

One concern would be does he have SEC level quickness and athleticism to really be one of the best all-around (not just shooting) 2 guards in the league. But, he's a nice addition to anybody's backcourt, esepcially with Fortson.

PiggoBitttys
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't expect him to take over games, but JJ Redick I didn't think was all that athletic. Heck, I'd be thrilled if Rotnei turned into another Pat Bradley, who currently clings to a small lead over Chris Lofton with the most 3's in SEC history, but had a VERY tiny amount of athleticism and quickness.

But Clarke has played a lot of AAU ball against top competition and done well. That gives me hope he can be more than just an assassin from 3 point range.

I do question how athletic he'll be, his defense and penetration skills, but with his shooting ability, you would take a simple OK in other areas. Whatever happens, I've heard nothing but excellent things about Rotnei's character and have no doubt he would be a very hard working, dedicated player. Add that to his talent and experience/success in AAU and I think he'll do quite well.

Don't know if he'll come here or not, but I sure hope so.

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah, his character is top notch. Plus, the fact that his dad is involved in basketball (DOBO at Oral Roberts) makes you think he's got the intricacies of the game down already.

We know how important a pinpoint shooter is in the SEC, just by looking at Lee Humphrey with Florida these past four years. To me, he simply was the difference. You had to pick your poison and often times he was not the person that opposing defenses picked. He just sat back and made people pay for that. So, if your inside is good, getting a guy like that is magnificent.

I'm not trying to downtalk the guy at all. Remember at some point I desperately wanted this guy until both sides seemingly agreed to call it off.

hawgwild
11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
34 points a game is pretty good. People who have seen him play say he always has a double team and some times triple team on him and he still gets the job done. Its kinda funny how we see a short white kid and question his quickness and athleticism. I do it to, so im not trying to preach or anything.

PiggoBitttys
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
I know what ya mean, KT. Those are legitimate questions you posed, and honestly, noone will truly know until he gets to college. We can just hope for the best. I'm gonna be very disappointed if he goes elsewhere.

If we can add Clarke and #1 JUCO player in the nation, SF Daniel Payne to replace Weems, I will be ecstatic with this class. Especially considering Pel got started late.

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2007, 08:01 PM
It's amazing how Arkansas can pull off these #1 JUCO prospects, like Weems and maybe Payne.

The fact that Willie Warren went with Oklahoma makes me question Clarke's move. While UK was on both at one point, I read reports where both wanted to play together (even read where both even said it), but then I heard they may want some space after they had an argument. This is really something to watch. I hope Arkansas gets him.

PiggoBitttys
11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Ya, they definitely no longer want to be playing with each other. Stuff happened while they were playing on their AAU team together. I've read Willie was a ball hog during the tourney, but I believe I read that from Hog fans so the story might be slanted, or it may have nothing to do with basketball. Regardless, I'm about 100% positive both players don't want to play together. Rotnei's final 3 are OSU, ORU and ARK, no Oklahoma thus no Willie Warren.

I didn't even read where Warren had committed to OU, interesting choice.

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I remember also hearing Rotnei say that he was glad that Willie was around though, because since Willie knew him, Willie did pass the ball to him some, while players that didn't know him quite as well didn't trust him.

hawgwild
11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
We shall know tonight for sure, he is announcing at 10 on a radio station i think, mabe TV. Anyone live in the Tulsa area?

Just Some Hog Dude
11-21-2007, 01:36 PM
That Tulsa tv station is broadcast in NWA.

I remember getting two Tulsa stations when I was up there. At one point in time I got a Little Rock station, two Fayetteville/Ft. Smith stations and those two Tulsa stations.

hawgwild
11-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Lol, i somehow got the oregon exhibition game in NLR a few weeks ago.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
It was great. They were all included in basic cable. I ended having two ABC and CBS affliates and they would all show different football games on Saturday and Sunday. It was like having gameplan.