Hopson wants MSU...Family... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Hopson wants MSU...Family...

statesboroblues
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
is a different story. Which is understandable for the most part but not at this point...after being committed for as long as he was. This really hurts if we lose out considering we dropped some good players.

"Eat a Peach"

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
This is how recruiting goes. There's really nothing MSU can do but hold out and hope that he ends up signing there eventually. MSU is not gonna pull their offer.

I've always been told that his main MSU connection has been his AAU team, I think it's MidState Ballerz... same team that Stewart and Varnado had played on. Now that he's away from the AAU circuit, it seems like everyone else around isn't in favor of MSU. With some of the offers he had though it did make me wonder what he was thinking.

Dawg
11-19-2007, 01:21 PM
With some of the offers he had though it did make me wonder what he was thinking.

Seems as if you're asking who in their right mind would choose a school like Mississippi State - which is a bit rude, in my opinion.

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
That's not what I said. All I'm saying is that Hopson is a top 10 recruit and other than Monta Ellis, I can't think of another top 10 recruit that has chosen to go to MSU. Maybe there are others, but MSU isn't quite a basketball school, so I was just shocked. Surely, you were surprised too that someone of that caliber chose MSU with some of the other places he could have gone, because MSU doesn't have a proven history of winning these top 10 recruiting battles. It wasn't meant as disrespect to MSU, but I'll retract the statement because I can see how it would be taken to be rude.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm not surprised that MSU got a good recruit. I'm surprised they got a good recruit like this from Kentucky.

OffThePorch
11-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Seems as if you're asking who in their right mind would choose a school like Mississippi State - which is a bit rude, in my opinion.
this is tubby fan you're talking about. he hates MSU.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
That's not what I said. All I'm saying is that Hopson is a top 10 recruit and other than Monta Ellis, I can't think of another top 10 recruit that has chosen to go to MSU. Maybe there are others, but MSU isn't quite a basketball school, so I was just shocked. Surely, you were surprised too that someone of that caliber chose MSU with some of the other places he could have gone, because MSU doesn't have a proven history of winning these top 10 recruiting battles. It wasn't meant as disrespect to MSU, but I'll retract the statement because I can see how it would be taken to be rude.

Not too sure exactly how high they were, but Jonathan Bender and Travis Outlaw were both up there. Of course they both went on to the NBA though.

Rocky@theTop
11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm hearing Georgia Tech has creeped into the UK/UT/UL picture with Hopson.

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I've not heard GT mentioned with Hopson at all. Do they really present anything different from MSU, other than a chance to play in the (perceived to be better) ACC?

OffThePorch
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
No matter where he goes i wish him well.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I've not heard GT mentioned with Hopson at all. Do they really present anything different from MSU, other than a chance to play in the (perceived to be better) ACC?

Maybe he prefers Atlanta to Starkville?

statesboroblues
11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Maybe he prefers Atlanta to Starkville?

He prefers Starkville...his family, maybe not.

"Eat a Peach"

msudawg4life
11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
let the freken kid go to school where he wants....his family needs to shut the hell up...not like they will be paying anything....

Just Some Hog Dude
11-19-2007, 05:06 PM
He prefers Starkville...his family, maybe not.

"Eat a Peach"

Yeah, maybe he is like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHH3wQfkVWw

Them country boys on the ride!
With them big fat wheels on the side!
Peep the vertical grills on the ride!
And aw-awww-awww-awwwww!

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
let the freken kid go to school where he wants....his family needs to shut the hell up...not like they will be paying anything....

4life, remember, family impact millions of college decisions every year, not just people that play basketball. His family should have a little input, don't cha think?

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2007, 05:31 PM
National sources are already, saying Hopson will reopen his recruitment now. (Personally, I think Hopson should do the right thing, which is honor his commitment. His family should have known before signing period that they didn't want him at MSU, but to leave MSU hanging like this now, is classless). But, as I said, some places are already saying he'll reopen his recruitment next week. This following comes from the link provided under Louisville's paragraph:

Kentucky product Scotty Hopson is expected to reopen his recruitment early this week, and has mentioned the Cardinals as a potential landing spot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/kevin_armstrong/11/19/recruiting.classes/index.html

msudawg4life
11-19-2007, 10:52 PM
hehe....admit it ktub...you just don't want him to end up in Patino's hands....hehe....JK JK JK

georgiaguy31015
11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm hearing Georgia Tech has creeped into the UK/UT/UL picture with Hopson.

That's interesting and I wonder why that is? Tech isn't as good as those other teams. That seems a little weird to me.

OffThePorch
11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Nobody knows. Im not sure Hopson and his parents even know what they want.

Rocky@theTop
11-19-2007, 11:46 PM
That's interesting and I wonder why that is? Tech isn't as good as those other teams. That seems a little weird to me.

Because GT has the potential to be a top program. They were able to steal Thaddeus Young away from Memphis, UNC, UT, and UK... Although he was 1yr and gone to the NBA; GT can recruit.

georgiaguy31015
11-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Because GT has the potential to be a top program. They were able to steal Thaddeus Young away from Memphis, UNC, UT, and UK... Although he was 1yr and gone to the NBA; GT can recruit.

I agree with that but it's not like they have a lot right now on their team that I know of.

msudawgs1964
11-19-2007, 11:57 PM
we need to move on from this...his mother don't know whether she is coming or going and my only problem here kentubby is this.

Sure his family should have some input in his college choice but if you read the articles, he has NO input, that is not right. Everyone of them she says I made the decision and he did not know about it but we, meaning her and Scotty, think it is the right thing. If she don't want him to play for State, just say it, ain't no feelings going to be hurt.

At this point I don't care if he comes to State or not, if there is 3 to 4 years of his mother involved, good riddance.

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
hehe....admit it ktub...you just don't want him to end up in Patino's hands....hehe....JK JK JK

Not really. You know how much I'm up UK coaches butts... I'm especially up Pitino and Tubby's you could say. I want Rick to be successful... so long as they continue to stay at best the second best program in the state.

But, ultimately, Hopson gave MSU his word, and while there were reports all summer that he was possibly going to renege, he never did. The right thing to do is tell Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Georgia Tech and any other potential suitors to get lost. Gillispie, Pitino, Pearl, and Hewitt should also question how much they can even trust Hopson after this debacle. Can you really trust a guy like this, or mainly his family?

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2007, 01:08 PM
we need to move on from this...his mother don't know whether she is coming or going and my only problem here kentubby is this.

Sure his family should have some input in his college choice but if you read the articles, he has NO input, that is not right. Everyone of them she says I made the decision and he did not know about it but we, meaning her and Scotty, think it is the right thing. If she don't want him to play for State, just say it, ain't no feelings going to be hurt.

At this point I don't care if he comes to State or not, if there is 3 to 4 years of his mother involved, good riddance.

I completely understand, buddy. He's (or his family) done MSU wrong. It's just ridiculous. What does commitment mean anymore.

We've dealt with parents before here at Kentucky that thought they never better than our coaches... eventually things did calm down, because either the player left/never came (Rashaad Carruth, Leo Lyons) or his parents got smart and started listening to coach (Randolph Morris, Joe Crawford). I hope it works out for MSU... nobody should have to go thru this in recruiting.