Looks like Steve... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Steve...

fodive
10-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Isn't going to announce the starter at Quarterback until Friday, if not gametime.

Right now on the depth chart, the QB spot is listed as Chris Smelley -OR- Blake Mitchell -OR- Tommy Beecher and they all have been taking about equal snaps in practice aparantly.

I hope to the good lord above it's not Tommy Beecher getting the call, though I don't think it will be. My guess is, unfortunately, Blake Mitchell who will probably get the start this week.

He said whoever gets the start he anticipates to play the whole game, with no set plans to replace him unless his play is really poor.

More Smoke and Mirrors to throw off UT? Or is our QB position just that bad and wide open?

Dollar Theater
10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
He could throw a prototype of Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning back there with no offensive line and it won't matter. The quarterback is not the problem.

fodive
10-25-2007, 11:17 AM
He could throw a prototype of Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning back there with no offensive line and it won't matter. The quarterback is not the problem.

I agree, but I think he is still trying to find who would be best given the line's situation. Beecher has made his way back into the discussion because he is the most mobile out of the three, with Smelley being the middle ground in terms of mobility vs performance in the pocket when he has time - where as Blake is the best with time, and the worst without it by far.

IveyLeaguer
10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
... More Smoke and Mirrors to throw off UT? Or is our QB position just that bad and wide open?A bit of both.

Spurrier wants the QB competition this week. And certainly, he is not one to let any possible weapon go unused. Mitchell and Smelley are different. If Tennessee can't be sure who it is, it helps Carolina somewhat.

:think:

#1GamecockFan
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I can't see him throwing Beecher in there with the SEC East on the line in this game. My guess is that he goes with Smelley. If Mitchell had not proven inconsistent so regularly, I think it would be his job this weekend. I think Smelley gets the start though. I personally want to see Smelley get the nod for this game. He has shown that he "can" play in the SEC and this is a good game to see what he's got what it takes to be the leader of this team. If he does start and has a good game, he is the man the rest of the season unless he just self destructs at some point.

Tennessee
10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
For those of you who like beating up on Fulmer, root for UT in this game...If he loses this one, he is gone...JMO

Elvis
10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree, but I think he is still trying to find who would be best given the line's situation. Beecher has made his way back into the discussion because he is the most mobile out of the three, with Smelley being the middle ground in terms of mobility vs performance in the pocket when he has time - where as Blake is the best with time, and the worst without it by far.

Spurrier can go back there and throw for 300 and 5 td's with the way our secondary has been lately :banghead:.

Hopefully, we can play some old style ball control offense and play keep away.

georgiaguy31015
10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
That's not a bad move by Spurrier in my opinion. Keep your oponent guessing.

ConwayGamecock
10-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Smelley all the way, unless he's injured. Mitchell is #2......

Candyman
10-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, if we had an awesome (well, even decent at this point) O-Line, I would pick Mitchell to start. Seeing how we do not have any O-Line at all, I would start Smelley. Smelley has made better last second decisions than Mitchell has this season. I think Mitchell is a better QB (with time to think), but I am not going to be surprised when Smelley starts this weekend.

fodive
10-26-2007, 02:13 AM
Smelley all the way, unless he's injured. Mitchell is #2......

Man, I want to quote that and put it in my sig...;)

BamaEthan
10-26-2007, 04:08 AM
I would start Smelley over Mitchell but unless the o-line play improves it may all be moot. That said, playing Tennessee's defense is the best thing in the world for South Carolina's offense which is in desperate need of a kickstart.

Candyman
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I would start Smelley over Mitchell but unless the o-line play improves it may all be moot. That said, playing Tennessee's defense is the best thing in the world for South Carolina's offense which is in desperate need of a kickstart.

I really hope so. Our O-Line is one of the key points in the Gamecock QB debate. Our O-Line hasn't really been helpful as of late to show off who is the better QB. It would be clearer if Smelley and Mitchell had time to think and throw.

Candyman
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
If you check out Spurs and Feathers, there is an article from The State about Smelley starting against UT.