Southern Cal plane ride to South Bend very unpleasant [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cal plane ride to South Bend very unpleasant

Dollar Theater
10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-uscrep19oct19,1,157887.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- USC players, coaches and supporters aboard the team's charter flight from Los Angeles endured a harrowing arrival in South Bend, Ind., on Thursday night.

Several players, administrative staff and coaches' spouses said passengers were hurled out of their seats and hit their heads on the ceiling when the plane dropped while making an approach through a lightning storm. The pilot aborted the approach and circled before landing without incident, said Dennis Slutak, USC's director of football operations.

Some of the passengers were not wearing seat belts at the time, but others said their seat belts broke.

"There was a moment there when I was thinking, 'This is it,' " Slutak said.

Said sophomore safety Taylor Mays: "I was screaming."

At their hotel, senior defensive end Lawrence Jackson said he was going to see the team trainer because a popsicle stick had pierced the inside of his mouth during the drop.

"That was terrifying," freshman fullback Stanley Havili said. "I thought I was going to die."

Wow, that's tough. At least they're alright.

socalwildcat
10-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I heard about this on the radio this morning. I don't know why they were flying into that tiny airport. In the past they have gone to Chicago and taken a bus over to South Bend

HogFan4Ever
10-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Now that would be scary!!!!

Storm
10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I heard about this on the radio this morning. I don't know why they were flying into that tiny airport. In the past they have gone to Chicago and taken a bus over to South Bend

maybe trying to avoid the media or something......

glad they are ok, the last thing the college sports world needs is another Marshall disaster........glad they are safe.

TexasFight
10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Thank god they're ok.

ConwayGamecock
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Saw a report on CNN where they interviewed the pilot. Seems it was his fault, and just a prank. He said he wanted to perform an aerial stunt, to represent how SoCal's national ranking has plummeted......

TexasFight
10-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Nice....

[sarcasm/]

Making fun of someone almost crashing a plane, and could have had over 100 + kids die. Nice.

Gatorbabe
10-19-2007, 04:27 PM
How scary! Just reading that makes me nauseous. I hate flying.

Dollar Theater
10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I hate flying.
Ditto. Only do it when I really have to.

Candyman
10-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Sometimes I really just hate going up in the air.

Friedchickenman
10-19-2007, 04:59 PM
At their hotel, senior defensive end Lawrence Jackson said he was going to see the team trainer because a popsicle stick had pierced the inside of his mouth during the drop.

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read that part.

Coal_UGA
10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
How scary! Just reading that makes me nauseous. I hate flying.

safer than driving car.

Gatorbabe
10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
safer than driving car.

Its mostly because I get motion sickness. That is why I love living in Florida. Flat land is much better for my stomach then hills or mountains. :)

Coal_UGA
10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I understand that, my wife suffers from motion sickness also, especial when I am doing 65 on curvy mtn road.

Herchel
10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
That ought to help ND keep the loss under 35. BTW, when I worked for an F500, I flew over 100 times/year.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-19-2007, 05:50 PM

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read that part.

The whole article made me laugh. It's not like they were killed or something.

Storm
10-19-2007, 05:52 PM
i'm sure the parents of these kids think it's pretty funny too.......grow up

rolling baby
10-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Thank god, nobody got hurt. FIGHT ON!!!!

georgiaguy31015
10-19-2007, 07:26 PM
That's horrible. Glad they are okay.

ugabrad
10-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Turbulence is part of flying... big deal. Those who were not wearing their seatbelts while flying through a thunderstorm were idiots. Those whose seatblets "broke" probably did not have them fully buckled. Flying is serious business, with the possibility of a disaster on any flight - though it happens far less than we think.

However, if you can't laugh in the face of danger or disaster, then you're way too sensitive for football, especially in the SEC...

Storm
10-20-2007, 09:25 AM
man, you guys really don't like USC.............i guess it was funny when that USC kicker killed himself last year too........

socalwildcat
10-20-2007, 10:36 AM
man, you guys really don't like USC.............i guess it was funny when that USC kicker killed himself last year too........

They never determined, or at least not reported, whether it was suicide or he stumbled off the cliff drunk.

georgiaguy31015
10-20-2007, 10:38 AM

I can't stand USC and there's no doubt about that but I would imagine this was pretty scary and I'm glad everyone is okay. As for the kicker, Socal, it doesn't matter if he killed himself or fell off the cliff. The point is that it killed him and a kid that young should never die.

Wronghorns
10-20-2007, 10:44 AM
safer than driving car.

Better chance of living through a car wreck than a plane crash.

georgiaguy31015
10-20-2007, 10:46 AM

That's true and good point.

TexasFight
10-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Yeah, seriously, did you see a "joke" someoe made earlier? Good lord....

socalwildcat
10-20-2007, 09:16 PM
The rough ride sure didn't bother USC. First USC shutout at Notre Dame since 1933.

I hope Navy breaks the streak next.

J.D.
10-20-2007, 09:49 PM

Survival rate for aircraft accidents is a hell of a lot lower than for automobiles. People say aircraft travel is safer because the percentage of aircraft passengers that die each year is far lower than their automobile counterparts.

I feel much safer in a car than a plane.

socalwildcat
10-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Survival rate for aircraft accidents is a hell of a lot lower than for automobiles. People say aircraft travel is safer because the percentage of aircraft passengers that die each year is far lower than their automobile counterparts.

I feel much safer in a car than a plane.

Deaths per mile travelled is much lower in aircraft than autos. I would have to look it up for the exact figures, but more people die in car crashes every month, than in plane crashes for a whole year (in the USA)

I agree somewhat though. A stalled car can pull over. A stalled plane goes down

georgiaguy31015
10-20-2007, 10:46 PM
The rough ride sure didn't bother USC. First USC shutout at Notre Dame since 1933.

I hope Navy breaks the streak next.

I would love for Navy to break the streak and I hope they do lol. That would be great.

socalwildcat
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I would love for Navy to break the streak and I hope they do lol. That would be great.

44 years since Roger Staubach led Navy to a win over ND. Navy only has 9 wins in the 80 game series. Next on the losing streak record is Kentucky...22 straight to Tennessee.

georgiaguy31015
10-20-2007, 11:05 PM
44 years since Roger Staubach led Navy to a win over ND. Navy only has 9 wins in the 80 game series. Next on the losing streak record is Kentucky...22 straight to Tennessee.

Yea, I saw that on t.v. earlier today.