10 toughest coaching jobs in sports (Bama football#2) [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 10 toughest coaching jobs in sports (Bama football#2)

XPS
10-18-2007, 01:40 PM
2. Alabama football

There are no easy football jobs in the SEC. The conference is brutally competitive and its championship game adds another layer to the BCS challenge.

Boosters at every major college harbor unrealistic expectations. The fate of entire athletic departments rests in the hands of football coaches, who must win to generate the revenue needed to pay all the bills.

Even against that backdrop, the pressure at Alabama is extreme. The ghost of Bear Bryant haunts the coaching offices, where Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Gene Stallings, Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, Mike Shula and now Nick Saban have tried (and mostly failed) to live up to his legacy.

Bama fans can become especially ugly when the Crimson Tide loses a game or two.

"My wife is a strong, intelligent woman," Curry once said. "She has a Ph.D.; she's not someone who is going to be intimidated. But she felt like our children were at risk. Those kinds of things just wear on you. Ninety-five percent of Alabama people are wonderful. The negative ones are throwing bricks or planting stories or doing whatever they can to make you uncomfortable. And when they want to make your life miserable, they work at it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7316552?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10539

YR_Tiger
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Aint that the truth. Expectaions at Bama are through the roof and the talent is a little down right now. its like trying to put enough lipstick on a pig to make it pretty.
Saban will get it done, he's intense enough to handle the Bama job.

BigBamaFan
10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure I understand why people think we Alabama fans have high expectations for this year.Most have said 7-9 wins and Bama is pretty much on target.People who are not Alabama fans seem to have stero typed Alabama fans in general.As for me 10 wins would be the ceiling on expectations for this team and that includes the Bowl game.Games against La-Monroe,MSST should put Bama at 7 wins but we need to steal one or two from UT,Auburn,or LSU.add the bowl game and Bama has a slight chance at 10 games but 8 is more of a reality.

CaribbeanTide
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Not disagreeing with the ranking at all.

But I was literally laughing out loud when my original thought I had as I was clicking the link was proven true - "I'll bet they use they use the old Curry brick story here." Sure enough. :) I think the guy must open with that when introducing himself at cocktail parties. "Hi, I'm Bill Curry. Did you know I once had a brick thrown through my window? True story . . ."

bamaphan
10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Bill Curry is a douche.

BigBamaFan
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Not disagreeing with the ranking at all.

But I was literally laughing out loud when my original thought I had as I was clicking the link was proven true - "I'll bet they use they use the old Curry brick story here." Sure enough. :) I think the guy must open with that when introducing himself at cocktail parties. "Hi, I'm Bill Curry. Did you know I once had a brick thrown through my window? True story . . ."
Curry was a tool then,and nothing has changed.............

Storm
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
The Florida Marlins is the 10th toughest coaching job in sports?......give me a break

rolling baby
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
So according to this guy, Saban's salary is justified, no? More pressure=more $$$$. That's how it works in real life (investment bankers, lawyers at top firms, doctors, etc.).

Anyway, Bama isn't more of a pressure-cooker than other top-tier programs (UT, UF, Auburn, etc.). The constant coaching turnover is the result of an incompetent AD. I mean who the @#%## hires Ray Perkins (no previous head coaching experience in college, average NFL coach), Bill Curry (barely a winning record at his alma mater), and Mike Dubose? Mike Price was a joke (gramps couldn't keep his pants on) and Mike Shula was a fall guy for program ransacked by ncaa sanctions. We all know about Fran.

Btw, where the @#$@# is ND?

georgiaguy31015
10-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Bill Curry is a douche.

You got that right.