Brandon Moore and Andre Clark commit to Arkansas. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Moore and Andre Clark commit to Arkansas.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-16-2007, 01:07 PM
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/204636

Clark is expected to sign during the early signing period for basketball, which runs Nov. 14-Nov. 21. Arkansas already has a commitment from one of Clark’s Genesis One teammates, point guard Terrance Joyner, 6-2, 175. Current Razorback Michael Washington also attended Genesis One. Arkansas’ other two commitments are from point guard Courtney Fortson, 5-11, 175, of Patterson, N. C., and power forward Brandon Moore, 6-9, 205, of New Orleans Holy Cross. All are expected to sign during the November period.

The Arkansas Hawks AAU program has produced some very impressive talent over the years, including former Razorbacks Joe Johnson and Ronnie Brewer, both of whom are now in the NBA.

"He’s probably the thirdmost talented player that’s been in the Hawks’ program,” Ingram said. “His talent level is unbelievable. We actually measured him yesterday and he’s grown. He’s a true 6-10 now. The day he decommitted to Oklahoma, he got offers from Arizona and Syracuse immediately. I think Dave Telep of Scout has him rated as the seventh- or eighth-best prep school kid.”

This will be a very good class if we can just get Rotnei Clark to sign as well.

XPS
10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Pel's getting it done, congrats...

OffThePorch
10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
good pick up.
Grats!

Just Some Hog Dude
10-16-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWz_2lA_RNQ

Some video of Andre starts at the 1:56 mark. Right before that is video of Sanchez.

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Andre Clarke has been committed to Arkansas for several months now. I remember it well, because Kentucky kind of wanted him, even though I'm not sure what happened. Great for John Pelphrey. I'm not sure that he's actually recruiting better than Stan Heath (in terms of stars and such), but hopefully these are the next generation of great players for Arkansas.

GatorMan32
10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Congrats to Pel and the Hogs! Good luck guys!

Just Some Hog Dude
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
No tubby. He was committed to Oklahoma. That's who he turned Kentucky down for initially. He reopened his recruiting a couple of weeks ago and committed to Arkansas after attending Midnight Madness this weekend.

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh okay. Thanks for the correction. Maybe he turned OU back down because they just got JUCO Orlando Allen, which is a guy that both Kentucky and Minnesota had some interest in.

leland5
10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Talented players.

PiggoBitttys
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh okay. Thanks for the correction. Maybe he turned OU back down because they just got JUCO Orlando Allen, which is a guy that both Kentucky and Minnesota had some interest in.

He was originally from Little Rock. Arkansas showed interest in 2007, but didn't have a scholarship for a big man. When he re-classified to '08, Arkansas had a scholly open, showed a lot of interest, and Clark chose the school he wanted to be at originally I think.

I don't know if Pelphrey will be a better recruiter or not, certainly Stan had success there. So far, he's done pretty good, we'll find out if he's the better gameday coach, which is why Stan got fired.

GatorMan32
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I am proud of Pel

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
He was originally from Little Rock. Arkansas showed interest in 2007, but didn't have a scholarship for a big man. When he re-classified to '08, Arkansas had a scholly open, showed a lot of interest, and Clark chose the school he wanted to be at originally I think.

I don't know if Pelphrey will be a better recruiter or not, certainly Stan had success there. So far, he's done pretty good, we'll find out if he's the better gameday coach, which is why Stan got fired.

Can't deny that. There were two times within the past two seasons that Arkansas had Kentucky down by double digits and Arkansas very well had the better talent. The difference was Tubby Smith versus Stan Heath... but, why would you expect Heath to be better than a national champion coach with as much experience as anybody on the highest level?

PiggoBitttys
10-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Can't deny that. There were two times within the past two seasons that Arkansas had Kentucky down by double digits and Arkansas very well had the better talent. The difference was Tubby Smith versus Stan Heath... but, why would you expect Heath to be better than a national champion coach with as much experience as anybody on the highest level?

He was fired for losing many other games beside Kentucky. Georgia at home, South Carolina on the road, almost EVERY opponent on the road. Really, 7-33 vs. SEC on the road. 0 for 2 in the NCAA tourney, no West division, no SEC Tourney title(did get close and almost saved his job with it). Ultimately, no success to really hang his hat on.

He blew big leads against Kentucky, but he did that countless times vs. other teams, Alabama comes to mind on in Tuscaloosa as well.

Can't wait for our matchup with BG on CBS in Lexington this year.

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
So you mean to tell me that winning one game more game in the SECT this year (which would have clinched the title over Florida) would have been enough to save his job? Surely, that can't be true... he still would have been 7-33 on the road.

And, about Bama, I distinctly remember Arkansas jumping down Bama's throat this year (going up by like 15 after the first five minutes) and they never let up. Heath had a good thing going and I just hope that Pelphrey can come in and fit it back together, because if he can't, I don't know how patient fans will be because he won't have a better team for another 3 or 4 years.

Dawg
10-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Congratulations, Hogs.

PiggoBitttys
10-17-2007, 01:44 AM
So you mean to tell me that winning one game more game in the SECT this year (which would have clinched the title over Florida) would have been enough to save his job? Surely, that can't be true... he still would have been 7-33 on the road.

And, about Bama, I distinctly remember Arkansas jumping down Bama's throat this year (going up by like 15 after the first five minutes) and they never let up. Heath had a good thing going and I just hope that Pelphrey can come in and fit it back together, because if he can't, I don't know how patient fans will be because he won't have a better team for another 3 or 4 years.

You and I both know coaches are judged on many things, but wins and losses is the base logic that schools use to fire the coaches. So, if a coach wins enough, it's difficult to fire the coach. There were certain arguments used against Heath, certainly the road record was one. No championships, West divisions, no NCAA tourney wins. Had Heath beat Florida and won a game in the NCAA tourney, yep, I think he would be here today.

In fact, our school Prez. John White supposedly told him after Day 3 of the SEC tourney after winning our 3rd game there that his job was safe. Obviously, John jumped the gun a little bit and underestimated people's will to fire Heath. But, there's a big difference when you run the table AND win an NCAA game. Postseason losses were big knocking points on Heath. Nolan was about to be fired in 2000, then he won 4 games in 4 days to make it to the Big Dance and saved his job. It's been widely reported. So, yes, a couple of wins at the right time could've saved his job despite that road record and other things. But, he loses the Tourney and he gets blown out in his NCAA tourney game and he was fired.

At this point, it doesn't really matter. The above is my best guess from everything that I read and heard over that period of time. Folks KEPT saying if Heath didn't make it back to the NCAA's, he'd be fired. They kept repeating this when we were 5-9 and looking very very doubtful for any postseason appearance. Then we win a couple to end the year and win 3 in the SEC tourney, and MAKE it to the Big Dance. Well, rules changed a little bit and they fired him anyway.

So, I say, I think he would've stayed if he won the SECT and a game in the NCAA's because those were 2 big knocks on him. No championships, no NCAA victories. But, as the paragraph says above, sometimes people are fired regardless whether they meet their supposed test or not.

That's all I know about it, I could be wrong and I certainly don't have an ear in Frank Broyles' office to know for sure, but that's my best guess.

kentubbybasketball
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Fair enough. Things like this are so subjective. What really is success... the team that wins the tourney, the four teams in the final four, what about the low majors that get in from a one bid league. It's hard to suggest what success is. Fact of the matter is Stan Heath still has a 3-3 NCAAT record for his career, which is respectable from anybody's standpoint... that and the fact that he has a connection with Tom Izzo allowed him to get a job in maybe a better conference anyway.

georgiaguy31015
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Congrats Arkansas.

hawgwild
10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I used to play street ball all the time with andre, he was a little taller than me back then and real skinny but you could tell back then he had a lot of potential. He could shoot the 3 pretty well so i hope he has kept that up.

kentubbybasketball
10-23-2007, 05:34 PM
hawgwild, welcome to the board. It seems like you'll be a fine addition around here. It's almost like candy, you can never have too many Arkansas fans around. Stay around, man, because you seem like you know your stuff and you know a future SEC player personally. That's great.

georgiaguy31015
10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I used to play street ball all the time with andre, he was a little taller than me back then and real skinny but you could tell back then he had a lot of potential. He could shoot the 3 pretty well so i hope he has kept that up.

Welcome to the board man.

hawgwild
10-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks, im sure ill stick around, everyone seems mature enough to have a conversation here without all the name calling and everything that goes along with that. Its kinda funny, my room mate last year was best friends with Mike Washington, they went to the same high school, so maybe i can post a little about how the team looks. They have been pretty tight lipped about the practices so far.

PiggoBitttys
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks, im sure ill stick around, everyone seems mature enough to have a conversation here without all the name calling and everything that goes along with that. Its kinda funny, my room mate last year was best friends with Mike Washington, they went to the same high school, so maybe i can post a little about how the team looks. They have been pretty tight lipped about the practices so far.

Welcome to the board! They indeed have been close to the vest on the practices so far, we'll be playing exhibitions in a little more than a week though, and that's good enough for me. But if you want to share anything, go right ahead! :cheers:

kentubbybasketball
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
When Arkansas went on their preseason trip, Pel played Thomas at the 2... what do you think about that? Kinda insane huh? LOL

hawgwild
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I heard that, i dont know what to think about that. Do you know if that was the 1st game or 2nd game? If it was the 1st game i could see the reasoning a lot more with 3 guards sitting out and weems not playing, if its the 2nd game, that is nuts. Will be nice to have option of him taking the ball up the court though, he can be our guy to break the press and such.

kentubbybasketball
10-24-2007, 04:54 PM
That's what I was gonna say. Some of the players were sitting out due to disciplanary reasons, but I can't remember which game it was. I think Thomas is more versatile than he's shown over his career, but if he's a 2, who's playing the 3-5? LOL

How do you feel about Charles Thomas' career anyway. Most people are thinking alike when it comes to Townes and Hill, but do you get the sense that Thomas can be even better than he's shown already?

hawgwild
10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, i for one love thomas. He was kind of a silent hero is 05, averaging close to 10 points pretty silently. Last year, he started really strong and even had like three 20 point plus point games in the pre-season. He got hurt and we were losing games and i really think that messed him up mentally. Toward the end of the year he kinda got the manimal back. I dont know if he has as high of a ceiling as Hill and Townes, but i think he will probably be the most consistent of the three.

kentubbybasketball
10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Good response. I've never thought about who is more consistent, but I would defend the notion that Thomas is the most consistent. I guess what I was saying though was I think he's capable of being a 15 ppg scorer that Arkansas certifies as its go to player inside.

hawgwild
10-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I think he can be, he's more physical inside than townes, but dosnt have the same moves with his back to the basket. It will probably be pretty close between the two of them.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-24-2007, 07:13 PM
They might put Thomas at small forward with Townes at power forward. I wonder how well that would work? Anyway, I want to see Townes play more. He is too productive to leave on the bench.

PiggoBitttys
10-24-2007, 07:32 PM
I think for Pel's up tempo system, he couldn't afford to have Hill, Townes and Thomas all out there. I don't even think Heath did that much.

Pel has said he will have 3 guards(this is including Sonny) out there probably 3/4's of the game.

I could see Thomas benefitting a bit from this change and playing at the 4 spot a lot. He's probably more in shape to get up and down better than the other big guys, though I think Hill is pretty good at that and Townes is showing in preseason that he thinks he can run too. But, Thomas is a bit smaller, and logically, should be able to play up tempo better.

However, this is my opinion on Charles, I think he works very hard and is very determined which are obvious positives. BUT, he is a tweener, not quite big enough to be a true power forward but is bigger than a normal small forward. He usually plays more like a small forward penetrating into the lane, but when there's BIGS in there (like against good competition) it's tough for him. He's always done really well vs. the nonconference, but many times struggles against the better teams.

I'm sure there's exceptions where he's done well against good teams, but that seems to be the trend to me.

I agree Townes and Hill both have more potential with their size, I think if Thomas played a little more under control or learned a few post moves, he'd improve. But that's just my armchair b-ball coach self talking. ;)

hawgwild
10-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I think we tried that some last year. I say leave him at PF and let patsa back up weems. Lets him bang with the big boys.

kentubbybasketball
10-25-2007, 11:36 AM
They might put Thomas at small forward with Townes at power forward. I wonder how well that would work? Anyway, I want to see Townes play more. He is too productive to leave on the bench.

I think he would do fine at the 3, even though I don't think he's a better 3 than Sonny Weems is honestly. But, that introduces a new question... of Ervin, Beverly, and Weems, who slides out of the lineup. The easy answer would be Ervin, but I'm not sure Beverly would be as productive at the 1 as Ervin is or if Beverly would be as productive at the 1 as he was at the 2 last year.

PiggoBitttys
10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I think he would do fine at the 3, even though I don't think he's a better 3 than Sonny Weems is honestly. But, that introduces a new question... of Ervin, Beverly, and Weems, who slides out of the lineup. The easy answer would be Ervin, but I'm not sure Beverly would be as productive at the 1 as Ervin is or if Beverly would be as productive at the 1 as he was at the 2 last year.

It won't happen IMO. Pel has said he doesn't want to play Townes and Hill together more than 10 minutes a game to keep them well rested. With them splitting the C position, Thomas and Washington will be playing the 4 most of the game.

I don't think there's really any way to play Pel's system with Thomas as your 3. He just doesn't have the skills or quickness of a SF.

Sanchez, Hunter, Patsa could all see time behind Weems at the 3 position. Sanchez may be more of the PF type as well, we will see. Pelphrey said he likes Hunter so far, but I have seen Hunter for 3 years and the negatives many times outweigh the positives with him, but maybe Pel can coach him up.

I think Ervin or Welsh will be in the game almost all the time at the PG position. They really want Welsh to be able to step up and play PG this year to keep Beverley at SG. Then you have Weems at SF.

I think your starting lineup will be:

Ervin
Beverley
Weems
Thomas
Hill

But, Washington and Townes will play significant minutes. If Townes plays like he can, he might take the starting job from Hill. Washington started the last few games for us last year, but obviously under a different coach. He could also compete for the PF starting job. Welsh will be the first backup in the backcourt. But then, it's a crapshoot as to who gets the rest of the minutes at the guard position.

Rakestraw(freshman) probably would've been the next guard off the bench until he got injured. Marcus Britt(another freshman) probably will play this year due to lack of depth in the backcourt. Patsa(ANOTHER newcomer, from Georgia, the country) may also end up backing up Weems at SF, though Hunter as well as Sanchez could also fight for minutes there.

There's a lot of bodies that we can play at the 3, 4 and 5 positions, but depth is limited at PG and SG.

PG - Ervin, Welsh
SG - Beverley, ???

Should be interesting to see how Pelphrey handles it.

hawgwild
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
After the first two, its just guessing really. Just depends on whose on the floor at what position.

ervin,welsh,brit,beverly(if needed)
beverly,rakestraw,patsa,brit
weems,patsa,hunter,rakestraw,sanchez(at times)
thomas,washington,hunter,sanchez
hill,townes

We should see a ton of diffrent lineups this year.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I want to see this lineup.

Ervin
Beverly
Weems
Townes
Hill

Twin towers baby!