Gators land 5 star forward! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Gators land 5 star forward!

GatorMan32
09-27-2007, 01:56 AM
For a few weeks I have been alluding to the fact that Florida was in position to close our class very strong and now its official. 5 star, 6'10 forward Eloy Vargas committed to the Gators tonight. Billy Donovan took his inhome to the Vargas home in the Dominican to seal the deal. Vargas has a great offensive game and is starting to really develop his defensive game. Really maturing as a shot blocker and rebounder. This also has nice impact on future classes as he is AAU teammates and close friends with 2009 star recruit Kenny Boynton and 2010 star recruit Brandon Knight. Boynton actually transferred schools to play HS ball with Vargas this year. Big time get for Billy D and the Gators!

XPS
09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Congrats..

NCMISSSTFAN
09-27-2007, 11:28 AM
The Gators are on pace to become one of the all time elite programs (UNC, Duke, UK, UCLA etc...). Winning two national championships will do that for you! Congrats.

GatorMan32
09-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the congrats guys and the kind words NC. We will definitely have to sustain success for a while to get there, but Billy D has not missed a beat since firmly deciding UF is where he wants to coach for the rest of his career. The talent we're reloading with is incredible to me. As a Gator fan this is uncharted waters and am just enjoying the ride. We're really, really fortunate to have Billy D and the success he is giving us to enjoy after being insignificant in basketball basically all but one year of our existence before him. Having seen the really bad years has offered a solid perspective when experiencing this success.

swampmonster
09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Heck yes!

REBEL5 AC
09-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Congrats Doofus.

:raz:

kentubbybasketball
09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
This is great for Florida. This is an example of the rich getting richer. Billy D is doing what you should be doing after two national titles... picking whomever you want in recruiting. I know Wake and UCLA have great classes as does OSU with Mullens, but I'd have to think Florida's is with or either ahead of some of those schools.

GatorMan32
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
What I really like about ours is we needed big men and Billy got two guys off the charts and one very good player who is sort of developing because up until a year or two ago he was a guard and then hit a growth spurt. I also like Walker even though he is the guy who isn't so highly rated. He has a ton of talent but he is 5'7. I am excited to see him play though.

kentubbybasketball
09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Walker is still in some top 150s. It's odd to see both Lucas and Walker on tap to be on the roster though, because they are extremely short (Walker more so).

GatorMan32
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah, wouldn't expect to see them on the court together at any point unless its the end of a half or something and they want the shooters out there. The Flip side will be if Calathes plays the point and they go big. Lot of ways to run with those guys.

Dawg
09-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Enormous pickup for the Gators..might steal some thunder from Scotty Hopson.

Ranked #10 by Rivals.com

kentubbybasketball
09-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, wouldn't expect to see them on the court together at any point unless its the end of a half or something and they want the shooters out there. The Flip side will be if Calathes plays the point and they go big. Lot of ways to run with those guys.

Billy D learned from the Pitino/Tubby School of Coaching while at Kentucky all those years ago, and one thing Tubby and Pitino both harped on was having versatile players that allow you to have versatile lineups.

My favorite player on the team is Chandler Parsons. That is the one guy on an SEC team that I would take on mine after Chris Lofton in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be shocked to see him win SEC Freshmen of the Year, but he's definitely all freshmen. To me the best kind of player to have is a 6'8 or 6'9 guy that is fluid, can shoot the three, and go at it inside. Parsons is just like that, and I really think he'll pick up right where Corey Brewer left off, and Brewer was obviously MOP. You've got a gem in that guy.

Eloy Vargas seems to have a somewhat similar description as Parsons too. Kind of like Shawne Williams at Memphis a few years back.

GatorMan32
09-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Hadn't really thought of it like that, but you're right about Vargas now that you mention it. He can apparently step out and hit threes. Heard he is comfortable grabbing rebounds and dribbling out to lead the break ala Horford and Noah, too. He is really the perfect fit for our system with his skill set. After 2 or 3 years he should be ready to hit the NBA and take care of his family too. I think he is that talented. Just needs a few years of maturing, S&C and development under Donovan and the staff.

georgiaguy31015
09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Congrats Florida.