Rotnei Clarke Visits Arkansas [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Rotnei Clarke Visits Arkansas

kentubbybasketball
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Arkansas fans, Rotnei is visiting your place this weekend. Could you keep us up to date with how things go if at all possible. This is perhaps the best shooter in the country, and guys like that are in high demand (low supply though).

Just Some Hog Dude
09-21-2007, 01:40 PM
He told me he is going to Kentucky.

NOT! :rotf:

XPS
09-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Who ever gets him, will be getting a great shooter..

joehogjoe
09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
what a horrible name he has, his parents should be b**** slapped.

XPS
09-21-2007, 02:10 PM
what a horrible name he has, his parents should be b**** slapped.

:rotf:

PiggoBitttys
09-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Clarke was quoted on a pay article as saying Pelphrey has made it clear to him that he is the top priority for the Razorbacks. At first, Clarke wasn't sure if he was going to make it official, but after a couple of talks with John, he decided to make it an official. He actually got there on Thursday so he got all the coaches attention yesterday.

His sister is being recruited for the Lady Backs volleyball team, his grandma lives in Fayetteville. Pelphrey has already made an in-home visit recently. That's all public knowledge, but encouraging for the Hogs.

And also, of news, he's not sure if he'll be at UK midnight madness. The wildcats apparantly have NOT made an inhome with Clarke so he's not sure if he'll visit or not.

At this time, I feel very good about the Hogs chances. And I also wonder if UK is backing off for some reason.

XPS
09-21-2007, 02:34 PM
At this time, I feel very good about the Hogs chances. And I also wonder if UK is backing off for some reason.

UK is already guard heavy...

batmanthelegend
09-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Clarke will be a Hog. Sorry UK, we are getting the best shooter in the country.

Dawg
09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Clarke is an excellent shooter, and would be an excellent grab by the Razorbacks. Good luck, Hogs!

joehogjoe
09-21-2007, 03:40 PM
where are people getting he's the best shooter?

personally Im less than thrilled with JP's recruiting to this point although it is early

Dawg
09-21-2007, 04:04 PM
He shot over 55% FG in high-school, averaged over 33 points and around 88% from FT.

Even Rivals calls this young man "one of the best shooters in the class".

joehogjoe
09-21-2007, 04:05 PM
ranked 83 would not be what I consider among the best.

kentubbybasketball
09-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Joe, I think that 83 ranking is because Clarke is basically a shooter. He specializes really in that one major area. He's not athletic like Scotty Hopson or anything like that, and it's those kind of guys that will be ranked higher. Where was Chris Lofton and Lee Humphrey ranked at the same point in their careers. Shooters are a necessity now IMO. If you put a great shooter with some interior beef you get the Florida Gators, which is why Billy's coaching the last two years has been great but even better than that was his ability to bring together the necessary parts, one of which was a shooter in Lee Humphrey.

To me, other than Darius Miller and an inside player, Rotnei Clarke is our most important recruit this year. With him being Arkansas' #1 priority though you never know.

XPS
09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I think that 83 ranking is because Clarke is basically a shooter

Exactly

PiggoBitttys
09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Clarke is already an amazing shooter. He's been offered by many top programs around the country. Frankly, I put more stock into that than what Rivals rates him, which is already pretty good. Remember, Patrick Beverley wasn't all that on Rivals either, a 4 star, but that's about what Clarke is if I'm not mistaken.

He has said many times recently, he is working on all parts of his game. He knows he can shoot it well, but he can improve other parts of his game and basically that's what he's been doing. I don't know why Joe has the negative nancies about him, but Clarke will be a player for somebody.

kentubbybasketball
09-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Last time we went after a 30 ppg scorer from Oklahoma we got our man in Kaz. I think if Kentucky really wants him, if we put the fullcourt press on him, we could get him. I think Kentucky set the bar with its visit, not everybody else will have to reach that level to stay in it.

joehogjoe
09-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Last time we went after a 30 ppg scorer from Oklahoma we got our man in Kaz. I think if Kentucky really wants him, if we put the fullcourt press on him, we could get him. I think Kentucky set the bar with its visit, not everybody else will have to reach that level to stay in it.

I think that he'll be more impressed with the Bud than the dump I mean Rupp.

it may be bigger but that just makes it look nastier

kentubbybasketball
09-22-2007, 05:50 PM
And, I wonder what's gonna do the most talking to him. Playing in a nice arena or playing in arena where there are 7 banners hanging. I'd rather play in a dump and have a better shot at winning (as seen by the past) than playing in a nice arena, but really, according to Rotnei and his dad the practice facility was the best in the country.

I think one thing people should remember is, most teams in the SEC need facilities to give them an advantage in recruiting. Kentucky doesn't really need that, as evidenced by BWA being nicer.

PiggoBitttys
09-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Clarke was all but ready to commit to Arkansas under the last staff(previously Clarke stated he and Willie Warren would probably both be committed to Arkansas had Heath not been fired), but Pelphrey has made Clarke his top priority from Day 1. Right now, I'd say he's Arkansas' to lose.

I'll see your 7 banners and raise you, his Granny living in Fayetteville plus being closer to home.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Hopefully we can get this kid. He sounds like a gem.

WPS

kentubbybasketball
09-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Clarke was all but ready to commit to Arkansas under the last staff(previously Clarke stated he and Willie Warren would probably both be committed to Arkansas had Heath not been fired), but Pelphrey has made Clarke his top priority from Day 1. Right now, I'd say he's Arkansas' to lose.

I'll see your 7 banners and raise you, his Granny living in Fayetteville plus being closer to home.

The 7 banners things doesn't matter. I just mentioned that because Joe was acting like Kentucky's arena was a dump. There's nothing dumpy about our program since we have won more games than anybody. If you can nitpick our program, surely you can nitpick other peoples.

I am hearing that he won't come to Kentucky, and to me I think that's because UK has backed off a bit. I'm hearing Oklahoma is still a great possibility.

kentubbybasketball
09-26-2007, 01:00 PM
As had been rumored this past week, Rotnei Clarke and Kentucky have officially broken up. Tough to lose a guy like this, but Kentucky does have good guards, maybe not any with this kind of reputation to shoot, but our biggest need is bigs. I still think Michael Porter can serve in this kind of role honestly.

I just spoke with Rotnei Clarke's father who told me that Clarke will not be making a visit to Midnight Madness in a few weeks. Instead, it appears the recruitment may be over. "I spoke with Coach Gillispie and we both agreed it would be better for us to part ways." According to Mr. Clarke, Gillispie was interested in getting a decision relatively quick from Clarke and Rotnei was not ready at this point. Thus after a long conversation, both agreed that it was in each other's best interests to part company. Thus Rotnei will not end up at UK and according to Mr. Clarke, in response to my question if the recruitment was now over, he said, "Yes it is." So there you go…..Rotnei, we hardly knew ya…..

http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=3626

Just Some Hog Dude
09-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Maybe he will come here and break Pat Bradley's three point records.

kentubbybasketball
09-26-2007, 04:13 PM
It seems like he would realize that a system like Pelphrey projects to run at Arkansas will tailor a lot toward his main strength as a shooter.

Oklahoma will be the main hurdle IMO. Both coaches in that situation can tell him that they know about big time hoops. Capel played at Duke and Pel played at UK.