Mississippi State #1(SEC)Recruiting Class 2008 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State #1(SEC)Recruiting Class 2008

leland7
08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
2008 recruiting rankings are out, and UCLA is #1, Arizona#2, Ohio State#3, Wake Forest#4, Mississippi State#5, Alabama#6, and Florida#8. The SEC is well represented in the top classes for 2008.

georgiaguy31015
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Congrats to MSU.

rolling baby
08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
MSU-Bama rivalry is going to be fire...........

msubulldog0610
08-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes! I can't believe we have the #1 recruiting class! Oh yes next year even though Jamont and Charles will probably be gone, we're still going to be stacked...Its gonna be a great these next few years in basketball..The rivalry is gonna be huge..Scotty, Romero, Dee v. JaMychal Green...Get ready MSU is going to be a powerhouse in the next few years...=D

MSUado
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes. It's going to be great.

UA37
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
says who? wheres the link?

Bama's not done yet.

GatorMan32
08-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Still hopeful UF will add 5 star Eloy Vargas, who visits this weekend.

PiggoBitttys
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
These guys haven't even signed on the dotted line yet. The Hogs have several more they will get, a little early to be championing the top recruiting class. I will say congrats on getting a great start though!

GatorMan32
08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah but they do have great classes to enjoy. If we get Vargas, I'd imagine we'll move into the top 3 Nationally.

msubulldog0610
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
says who? wheres the link?

Bama's not done yet.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gibbons_bob&id=2996271&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dgibbons _bob%26id%3d2996271%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

You'll see we're not joking..MSU is the first SEC team on the list and #5 while Bama is on our heels at #6..I know the list is not over and the kids haven't signed the dotted lines but all the signs points toward them signing in November...It'll probably change but I don't think too much..

UA37
08-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the link. It looks like Bama's and MSU's classes are very comparable:

Mitchell:Hopson
Green:Osby
Steele:Bost

I don't see how they have MSU over Bama considering Bama has 3 top 50 players and Bost isnt a top 100 player.

msudawg4life
08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't see how they have MSU over Bama considering Bama has 3 top 50 players and Bost isnt a top 100 player.

naturally you wouldn't...the press does though ;)

UA37
08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
naturally you wouldn't...the press does though ;)

well if it was the other way around, it would make sense

MSUado
08-29-2007, 11:30 PM
well if it was the other way around, it would make sense
In my opinion it is a virtual tie but as the ranking get near the top the players are sometimes exponentially better than the lower ranked players. Of course these rankings don't really mean a whole lot at this point.

NCMISSSTFAN
08-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the link. It looks like Bama's and MSU's classes are very comparable:

Both classes are very good, but I think they give the edge to MSU simply because of Hopson. He made alot of noise this summer. I'm not too sure exactly where Bost is but he's a 4 star recruit.

statesboroblues
08-30-2007, 08:37 AM

As it should be...More interesting to say the least, when we are going at it.

"Eat a Peach"

statesboroblues
08-30-2007, 08:40 AM

I see your point...Bost is in a few top 100's but not this one. Considering that...I would think Bama would be ahead of us. But I am not going to complain...

"Eat a Peach"

kentubbybasketball
08-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Same story... different year. MSU and Bama have good recruiting classes, but the play on the court is still mediocre IMO compared to the stars the guys have next to their names.

To me when talking about Bama and MSU... MSU should get the nod, seeing as how Hopson is a very dynamic player and is one of the most elite of the elite in this class.

rolling baby
08-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day, Ken.

Of couse it doesn't hurt that Hopson is from Kentucky, right?

kentubbybasketball
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day, Ken.

Of couse it doesn't hurt that Hopson is from Kentucky, right?

Exactly, Rome wasn't built in a day. But, Gottfried and Stansbury are going into the 10th years of their programs, and they still haven't (and likely won't elevate their programs past where they currently reside). I mean, how much more top 150s can both of them sign and still not produce consistently. IT's not news that Gottfried and Stansbury have top tier classes... that usually happens.

And, yeah Hopson is from Kentucky.. Hoptown specifically.

MSUado
08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Same story... different year. MSU and Bama have good recruiting classes, but the play on the court is still mediocre IMO compared to the stars the guys have next to their names.

To me when talking about Bama and MSU... MSU should get the nod, seeing as how Hopson is a very dynamic player and is one of the most elite of the elite in this class.
This will likely be the best class to ever come into Starkville. We have had so many great classes lose players to the NBA but that can't happen this year. We should also have a lot of veteran talent on the team when these guys show up.

rolling baby
08-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Keep hating, Kenny.

kentubbybasketball
08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm not hating... I'm just giving my opinion. Gottfried has signed plenty of top 100 players as has Stansbury and they have 1 appearance beyond the second round of the NCAA between them in a combined 22 or 23 years of coaching I believe... that's not good compared to the talent they are bringing in.

UA37
08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Gottfried is bringing in 5 top 50 players in two years. I don't think he's ever done that before. What's better for Bama is the sophmore class is full of role players who will be here for 4 years to provide experienced depth for the young stars.

It's not exactly the same story.

MSUado
08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not hating... I'm just giving my opinion. Gottfried has signed plenty of top 100 players as has Stansbury and they have 1 appearance beyond the second round of the NCAA between them in a combined 22 or 23 years of coaching I believe... that's not good compared to the talent they are bringing in.

No one would agree with you more than I that we need a lot more tournament success. I'm really hoping this year and the next couple are our years. Too bad I'm graduating this year.

NCMISSSTFAN
08-30-2007, 12:23 PM

I agree with you to be honest. In Stanbury's defense though, we have had alot of NBA defections, but your absolutely right. With all the talent that we have at MSU now, and coming in, there's no reason whatsover that we shouldn't at least be a sweet 16 team or better. I do think Stans has matured as a coach though but we will see what happens in the coming years.

kentubbybasketball
08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Gottfried is bringing in 5 top 50 players in two years. I don't think he's ever done that before. What's better for Bama is the sophmore class is full of role players who will be here for 4 years to provide experienced depth for the young stars.

It's not exactly the same story.

We'll see if there's a superstar (a la Erwin Dudley or a Kennedy Winston or Chuck Davis) among this group of players... which to me is another interesting dynamic here... Dudley is oneo f the best players to come thru Bama since Gottfried has been there (his only SEC POY in fact) and he wasn't a top 50 player.

UA37
08-30-2007, 12:44 PM
We'll see if there's a superstar (a la Erwin Dudley or a Kennedy Winston or Chuck Davis) among this group of players... which to me is another interesting dynamic here... Dudley is oneo f the best players to come thru Bama since Gottfried has been there (his only SEC POY in fact) and he wasn't a top 50 player.

Dudley was the man! He dominates overseas. I think Hendrix could have a huge year this year tho. Hendrix is probably better than him. Steele is a superstar it just sucks that he's had to battle knee problems. I think Green, Mitchell, and Hillman could all be amazing SEC players.

rolling baby
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Was Dudley highly touted coming out of h.s.? If I remember correctly, he was our fall-back choice after getting burned by Marvin Stone.

kentubbybasketball
08-30-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't remember him being a top tier, elite player in his class... and believe me you weren't burned by not getting Marvin Stone. Stone is one of the only people to play for two hall of fame coaches (Tubby and Pitino) that I can think of who never reached his potential. I know some personal things happened (like the unfortunate passing of his father), which could have hurt his play some though.