Beckham's first MLS goal... a Beauty [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Beckham's first MLS goal... a Beauty

SCfan804
08-16-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VbyZ334Es

Beautiful feed to Donovan as well. Washed up my @ss.

GR8NESS
08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
GOL! GOL! GOL!

Washed up :rolleyes:

Storm
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
i was just getting ready to post an artical about this.......LOL

Beckhams Score Goals, Book Deals
by Gina Serpe
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:13:48 AM PDT
RECOMMENDED (0)
0.0COMMENTS (1)TEXT SIZE + A | -A
Victoria Beckham, bestselling author? Crazier things have happened—like David Beckham finally making good on his hype (and paycheck).

As it is, both happenings went down Wednesday, when the midfielder christened a night of firsts on the soccer pitch and his missus set out to do the same on the bookshelves.

Three and a half weeks after making a highly anticipated end-of-game debut with the L.A. Galaxy, the 32-year-old athlete both started and scored for his team for the first time.

Playing on his Home Depot Center home turf, Beckham was deemed captain for the match, taking the mantle from usual team honcho Landon Donovan. In the 27th minute of the game, played against D.C. United, the man known as number 23 scored his first goal on his trademark bendable set piece, the free kick.

Wife Victoria and sons Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz watched and cheered on the goal along with a handful of friends and family from their usual box seats. An announced crowd of 17,223 were also on hand in the 27,0000-capacity stadium to cheer on the team.

"The free kick was the first I've taken for eight weeks, so it was quite pleasing," the ankle-nursing player told reporters after the game. "I felt I was going to score as soon as I had the ball in my hands." Or, as it were, feet.

"It was very important for me to actually get on the pitch and play some minutes."

Beckham also proved his mettle as not just a solo star but a team player, setting up Donovan later in the game to score the match's only other goal. The L.A. Galaxy ended up winning the game, 2-0. Beckham, however, timed himself out after playing a hearty 63 minutes of the 90-minute match. He walked off the field to a standing ovation and quickly had his perhaps no longer so bum ankle tended to aside the field by a team trainer.

Beckham, for one—his team and fans for another—is already chalking up his first major foray into the MLS as a success, setting the stage for more and more playing time and possibly a starting spot in the England national team's exhibition game against Germany next Wednesday.

England manager Steve McLaren also announced he wanted Beckham to start in next week's international game and that he would be keeping an eye on the player and touching base with the L.A. Galaxy brass to assess whether a Beckham start was a viable option.

"We've got to assess it over the next few days," McLaren said just prior to Beckham's ball-busting display. "He will be in the squad. We want him to come over and play a part against Germany. We'll be keeping in close contact with him and the Galaxy medical staff to see his condition. If at all possible, of course, we'd like David to join us [for training] on Monday."

If the match against D.C. United is any indication, fans can expect the player to don his jolly old gear next week.

"I didn't expect to last an hour, but it felt great after 10 minutes into the game," Beckham said. "My confidence got up with my ankle, and I was happy to be out there for 60 minutes. Overall, the ankle was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, and I felt confident going into tackles."

Also feeling pretty confident about now is David's better half Victoria, who signed a deal with HarperCollins this week to publish a Stateside style guide. That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between, has already hit bestseller status in the U.K., where it was published earlier this year, and is now primed to guide the grooming habits of American women as well.

"I've always been a girl's girl," the fashion icon said about the book's U.S. release. "And I know from experience that making the very best of yourself is something any woman can do. I was never the six-foot-tall pinup."

"I've always been the girl next door who got lucky. I've come a long way in the last 10 years, but this book isn't my attempt to tell you what or what not to do. It's just to share some of what I've learned."

The guide will hit bookstores this November.

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=ea1aae38-fb83-4047-9b03-3c542a632228&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

still worth the read though.

GR8NESS
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm definitely reading her book
:sarcasm:

Storm
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
LOL, yeah, obviously the better part of the artical is about him......

MattinBama
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Several people not making a bajillion dollars a year made a goal recently too.

MKAU
08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Who cares about them? They aren't making a bajalion dollars a year!

Storm
08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
but they didn't bring the MLS to the forefront of it's ever growing popularity. Beckham is doing that.

Storm
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
this is a soccer forum, if you're going to come in here and hate, then don't come at all please. thanks

MattinBama
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
this is a soccer forum, if you're going to come in here and hate, then don't come at all please. thanks

I love soccer, I just think it's ridiculous what they're paying the guy. Just because I don't agree with the love fest doesn't mean I'm hating.

Storm
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
i was kind of directing that at MK. Sorry matt.

but even if you don't like Beckham, he's here helping the sport and trying to raise it's level of popularity.......

SCfan804
08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Guys as good as Becks command that kind of money. LA had it, so they spent it... do you hate Capitalism or something?

MKAU
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
i was kind of directing that at MK. Sorry matt.

but even if you don't like Beckham, he's here helping the sport and trying to raise it's level of popularity.......Storm I really want to kick you in the balls for calling me out for hating on soccer. It's like trying to tell Bill OReilly he's liberal. I thought you were directing that at matt and I was very glad you said that when I thought you had directed it at him.

Storm
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
LOL, i'm a Beckham defender. don't tread on him, or feel my wrath

MKAU
08-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Well I was making fun of Matt's attitude. You don't understand because you don't know me but those are fighting words when directed at me.

Storm
08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
i gathered that after the "kick to the balls" reference.......LOL

SECgamecock453
08-16-2007, 06:32 PM
So glad Beckham is in the US, what a goal. Thanks for the link SC.

MattinBama
08-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Guys as good as Becks command that kind of money. LA had it, so they spent it... do you hate Capitalism or something?

Sure.

2008 National Champions
08-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I assume he was man of the match?

Nice goal by Landon as well.

GR8NESS
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Sure.

Commie!

SCfan804
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
The soccer crew on this forum is a loyal bunch... anyone who comes in here spouting BS about the sport needs to brace themselves for war haha

SECgamecock453
08-16-2007, 08:34 PM
The soccer crew on this forum is a loyal bunch... anyone who comes in here spouting BS about the sport needs to brace themselves for war haha

Damn right.

MattinBama
08-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Commie!

Just telling him what he wanted to hear.

I'm a soccer fan. Just because I'm not in your butt-patting club in this here subforum doesn't mean I don't like soccer. I find the salaries of all sports stars/coaches ridiculous (yes including Nick Saban), it just so happens that David Beckham's is one of the more crazy ones I've seen in a long, long time.

Sure it might could be getting the MLS some more publicity, but so could a clever ad campaign that would probably cost less. Soccer has been slowly gaining in popularity for years anyway.

Storm
08-17-2007, 07:05 AM
i think the clever add campaigning has reached it's apex with the

"if you enjoy this (video of HR)"
"You'll enjoy this (video of goal)"

as a whole, if you do not enjoy soccer now, and you are over the age of say 21, you are not going to all of a sudden get into it. By bringing Beckham in and paying him all this money, they make waves of publicity, making people tune in, even if for a game or two to check him out, with the hopes that they'll do it with their children, who will then in turn, fall in love with the game.

the only problem is, your typical American won't sit through an entire game of soccer, and will probably sit there and make fun of it the whole time, so the kid is left with a soured view of it. That's my opinion anyway.

but yes. a quarter of a billion dollars is a ludicrous contract, but don't blame the players, blame the owners who paid the ARods in the first place.

2008 National Champions
08-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Whenever one of my friends talks crap about soccer I always drop the "yea, but there's no commercials" bomb on them. Usually not much of a comeback. In that aspect it is undoubtedly superior to all traditional American sports.

SECgamecock453
08-17-2007, 08:55 AM
i think the clever add campaigning has reached it's apex with the

"if you enjoy this (video of HR)"
"You'll enjoy this (video of goal)"

as a whole, if you do not enjoy soccer now, and you are over the age of say 21, you are not going to all of a sudden get into it. By bringing Beckham in and paying him all this money, they make waves of publicity, making people tune in, even if for a game or two to check him out, with the hopes that they'll do it with their children, who will then in turn, fall in love with the game.

the only problem is, your typical American won't sit through an entire game of soccer, and will probably sit there and make fun of it the whole time, so the kid is left with a soured view of it. That's my opinion anyway.

but yes. a quarter of a billion dollars is a ludicrous contract, but don't blame the players, blame the owners who paid the ARods in the first place.

Very well said, there is definitely a certain age in this country where you just wont be able to sit down and get into soccer. I myself got into soccer just before the 2002 FIFA World Cup so I guess I would have been 14 years old. I played in Kindergarten, but that never matters. Soccer seems to be a kid thing in this country that everyone grows out of. But I love watching soccer and I play intramural soccer, which is good enough for me.

Storm
08-17-2007, 08:59 AM
i'm 31 years old, I played as a youth, played all the way up through HS, had a scholarship to play in college, but my career choice took me in a different direction. Now I play in a friendly indoor league with guys I went to HS with, and Fridays from 8-9 is the one hour I look forward to every week.

rolling baby
08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
I love soccer, I just think it's ridiculous what they're paying the guy. Just because I don't agree with the love fest doesn't mean I'm hating.

Co-sign. I can't even name an EPL player that's making that cash. Hell, MLS could've gotten Ronaldinho at 20% less.

Storm
08-17-2007, 12:02 PM
250 million dollars. I'd say about 225 of that was for the name alone. Ronaldhino wouldn't have had the mass market appeal that Becks does. Even if he is twice the player.

MattinBama
08-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Whenever one of my friends talks crap about soccer I always drop the "yea, but there's no commercials" bomb on them. Usually not much of a comeback. In that aspect it is undoubtedly superior to all traditional American sports.

I agree there. I love not having to cut away to commercials during the games.

GR8NESS
08-17-2007, 04:18 PM

got into soccer at the 02 cup.
even woke up at an ungodly hour to watch us "whip their [Mexico's] asses", as landon donavan said.

guess i woulda been, what...10?