Billy Gillispie's Recruiting [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gillispie's Recruiting

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I can't remember a week this bad in recruiting in a long time at Kentucky. Say what you will about Tubby's recruiting... he at least always finished second in a recruitment. Gillispie isn't even getting us on people lists.

... and he doesn't even have a national title to throw in recruits faces. This could get nasty. Ouch!

No Czyz
No Zeller
No Green
No Jennings
No Steele
No Vargas
No D. Green
No Sanchez
No Hamga
No Lucas
No Calasan

Thank goodness Tubby got his foot in the door on Patrick Patterson. :cry: :rotf:

(joking)

NCMISSSTFAN
08-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I try to stay up to date as much as I can here but who did Gillispie miss out on? I thought he was doing pretty good in the recruiting scene so far. what happenend?

GR8NESS
08-04-2007, 02:42 PM
The uproar is rather reminiscent of the one after Lucas went to UF, and Sanchez to Arkansas.

Guess what happened not long thereafter?
My boy landed P-Pat.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 02:43 PM
NCMISSSTFAN, that list of guys I just listed up there are all the guys that Gillispie has missed out on since he's been here since April.

He's actually doing good job. I think Gillispie is doing a great job. I just did this to call out some of those UK fans who called Tubby out for missing out on a recruit, who are conspicuous by their quietness now that Gillispie struck out on about 4 or 5 recruits since Thursday.

I guess nobody gets everyone, huh UK fans?

XPS
08-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I can't remember you ever posting on Tubby's Misses KT or did you have enough room?

XPS
08-04-2007, 03:15 PM
NCMISSSTFAN, that list of guys I just listed up there are all the guys that Gillispie has missed out on since he's been here since April.

He's actually doing good job. I think Gillispie is doing a great job. I just did this to call out some of those UK fans who called Tubby out for missing out on a recruit, who are conspicuous by their quietness now that Gillispie struck out on about 4 or 5 recruits since Thursday.

I guess nobody gets everyone, huh UK fans?

Its a shame that Billy G is taking over a mess compared to what Tubby took over in 1998, heck kids knew UK was on top in 1998 and now kids don't remember the 1998 championship, thanks to Tubby...

Dawg
08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Gillespie hasn't even been at his new job for half of a year. No coach is going to turn a team's recruiting scene around within that span.

georgiaguy31015
08-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Give Gillispie time. He got into the recruiting game late. Kentucky will be fine when it's all said and done.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Its a shame that Billy G is taking over a mess compared to what Tubby took over in 1998, heck kids knew UK was on top in 1998 and now kids don't remember the 1998 championship, thanks to Tubby...

What exactly does tradition have to do with this? "Tradition" doesn't mean as much as some UK fans want it to. Certainly Purdue isn't "on top" (not compared to UK in 1998), but they are on Zeller's list in favor of UK.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Give Gillispie time. He got into the recruiting game late. Kentucky will be fine when it's all said and done.

I agree completely. I love Gillispie... think he's the best coach in the SEC in any sport besides Pat Summitt quite frankly. I'm just showing, he's gonna miss out on people too. He took over the Zeller recruitment himself... and style of play is said to be part of the problem (according to Marc Maggard). They say he plays a plow style... sounds similar to Tubby... I think I'm gonna be happy with Gillispie.

georgiaguy31015
08-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I agree completely. I love Gillispie... think he's the best coach in the SEC in any sport besides Pat Summitt quite frankly. I'm just showing, he's gonna miss out on people too. He took over the Zeller recruitment himself... and style of play is said to be part of the problem (according to Marc Maggard). They say he plays a plow style... sounds similar to Tubby... I think I'm gonna be happy with Gillispie.

I don't know that I would go that far with how good Gillispie is but he is good. As for recruits. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. A kid wants to stay close to home or he wants to get as far away from home as he can. You can't move your school so there's nothing you can do about that. There are a lot of factors that play into recruiting some of which you have no control over.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't know that I would go that far with how good Gillispie is but he is good. As for recruits. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. A kid wants to stay close to home or he wants to get as far away from home as he can. You can't move your school so there's nothing you can do about that. There are a lot of factors that play into recruiting some of which you have no control over.

I'm just saying, nobody needs to question how much I like MY coach. I support coaches better than anybody else can. Some people kick a guy when he's down... I'm certainly not doing that to Gillispie.

Funny thing is all those excuses you just made (kids want to play at home) could be said for some of Tubby's misses too perhaps, but there was no mercy... and as usual, when the going gets tough, some UK fans go away and are so quiet.

georgiaguy31015
08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm just saying, nobody needs to question how much I like MY coach. I support coaches better than anybody else can. Some people kick a guy when he's down... I'm certainly not doing that to Gillispie.

Funny thing is all those excuses you just made (kids want to play at home) could be said for some of Tubby's misses too perhaps, but there was no mercy... and as usual, when the going gets tough, some UK fans go away and are so quiet.

I never said they were excuse and I never said they were exclusive to Gillispie. I believe they are legit reasons that happens to all coaches even Tubby Smith. I also don't believe they are excuses but that's up to the reader I guess.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Call it whatever you want to call it. I called it "excuses" because that's what people called them when I made them in defense of Tubby.

georgiaguy31015
08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Call it whatever you want to call it. I called it "excuses" because that's what people called them when I made them in defense of Tubby.

Alright well I call it reasons. That's just me though.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Gillispie has picked up Liggins, who is 6'6, so that's good size, but we really need a big man, a 4 and a 5 IMO, unless Williams develops and Carter does play in the future. But, if those things work out negatively, then we really need a 5 as much as we need a 4 IMO.

GatorMan32
08-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Every coach misses plenty more than he signs.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Every coach misses plenty more than he signs.

Exactly... "EVERY COACH." So I don't know why it was such a big deal when Tubby did it, but now it's cool.

georgiaguy31015
08-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Exactly... "EVERY COACH." So I don't know why it was such a big deal when Tubby did it, but now it's cool.

Just let it go and maybe it won't be a big deal.

kentubbybasketball
08-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I've been over the Tubby Smith thing for a longtime. I'm really not mad about it now. I was just "testing the mettle" some UK fans with this one. I got out of it what I expected.

XPS
08-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Seems your still living in the past with Tubby, nobody thinks its cool that UK is losing out on some bigmen, besides rival fans and i for one hate it when some act like its fair to compare Billy G who has coached 0 seasons to a man who coached 10 seasons, I'm willing to give Billy G a chance as i did Tubby and if the program has slipped after 10 years of coaching and his recruiting suffers, then like Tubby it will be time to go..

Storm
08-05-2007, 06:11 AM
I can't remember you ever posting on Tubby's Misses KT or did you have enough room?

LOL.......that was funny....sorry

gatormaniac
08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I have to agree with KT on this one. The vast majority of UK fans pummeled Tubby mercilessly...some still do. All he's saying is that what's good for the goose doesn't seem to apply to the gander. I also find it interesting that some UK fans that constantly harped on KT for his " homerism " towards Tubby have now annointed Gillespie a savior....before even one game has been played. It's even worse than when Meyer came on board the UF football train...and that's sayin' a lot.

Oh, and before any of you start crying that I'm just attempting to throw a wet blanket on your " excitement ", well, save it. That's just crap.

XPS
08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I have to agree with KT on this one.

Suprise suprise:rotf: The one goose had 10 years and the other goose has 0 YEARS, Billy G has landed Patterson a 5 star player and Alex Legion a top 30 player for 07, he also has some huge commitments for 2010 and a 5 star player for 08, before taking the UK job, he also landed one of the best bigmen in the country Jordan for Texas A&M, so forgive me if i don't buy your theory about the goose, because the new goose is blowing the old goose out of the water so far...

GatorMan32
08-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I have to say I am kind of tired of reading about Tubby v Billy G. Maybe you all can have a truce or something cause while I see both sides... this horse is dead. Stop beating it already!

http://www.tedmichener.com/images/deadhorse.jpg

XPS
08-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I have to say I am kind of tired of reading about Tubby v Billy G. Maybe you all can have a truce or something cause while I see both sides... this horse is dead. Stop beating it already!

Tubby is the past and the new head coach for Minnesota, there's no reason to still talk about him, some is having a hard time letting him go...

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I have to agree with KT on this one. The vast majority of UK fans pummeled Tubby mercilessly...some still do. All he's saying is that what's good for the goose doesn't seem to apply to the gander. I also find it interesting that some UK fans that constantly harped on KT for his " homerism " towards Tubby have now annointed Gillespie a savior....before even one game has been played. It's even worse than when Meyer came on board the UF football train...and that's sayin' a lot.

Oh, and before any of you start crying that I'm just attempting to throw a wet blanket on your " excitement ", well, save it. That's just crap.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I couldn't have said it better if I wanted too. I don't like missing out on recruits ever... whether Tubby's the coach or Gillispie is. I guess some people don't mind missing out on players. But, Gillispie hasn't signed one power forward that is 100% of his own effort... thank goodness that Tubby did all the heavy lifting and Gillispie came in at the end.

Gillispie is an unproven coach... unlike Tubby who could throw a national title out there... and Gillispie plays the same style as Tubby, according to rival coaches. He is gonna have a lot to overcome.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Suprise suprise:rotf: The one goose had 10 years and the other goose has 0 YEARS, Billy G has landed Patterson a 5 star player and Alex Legion a top 30 player for 07, he also has some huge commitments for 2010 and a 5 star player for 08, before taking the UK job, he also landed one of the best bigmen in the country Jordan for Texas A&M, so forgive me if i don't buy your theory about the goose, because the new goose is blowing the old goose out of the water so far...

Gillispie has signed 2 guys that are 3 years in the making... oh the world better take notice on that one.

Legion being a top 40 player (actually top 40, not top 30) is no different than Meeks and Jasper being 38 and 39 the year before. Gillispie has done nothing to suggest he's a better recruiter... other than the fact that he's recruiting guys from 2017.

XPS
08-05-2007, 02:02 PM

To a poster that despises UK, LOL, he loved your post, KT all this talk about how you support the coach, did you ever criticize Tubby? I know for a fact that you would have never started a thread about Tubby's short comings...

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:10 PM

To a poster that despises UK, LOL, he loved your post, KT all this talk about how you support the coach, did you ever criticize Tubby? I know for a fact that you would have never started a thread about Tubby's short comings...

Whether gatormaniac "despises" UK or not is not the point. I agree with him on this issue, and that's what the issue at hand is (this issue). And, it's questionable if he "despises" UK. Get over yourself on that one. He's just admitting the imbalance in the way you and others are viewing recruiting misses.

And, about starting threads. You would have never started a thread about Tubby signing a player either, so who are you to point a finger. Remember when you point a finger, you have three pointing right back at you.

And, what does "Tubby's shortcomings" matter to you. Weren't you the one that said earlier people are living in the past. You're not in the present either now are you?

And, I definitely have questioned some of Tubby's decisions. On down to not fouling Jamont Gordon in the SECT... the difference is I don't make the criticism personal, by attacking the man. Something I won't do to Gillispie, even though he's missed some pretty big fish.

XPS
08-05-2007, 02:11 PM
thank goodness that Tubby did all the heavy lifting and Gillispie came in at the end.

Show some links or quit spreading your lies, did Patterson committe to Tubby or Billy G? He signed to play for Billy G and Tubby never got a commitment, so your information is false..

Tubby who could throw a national title out there..

Thanks to one Mr Rick Pitino and just what did that championship giving to Mr Tubby do for him?

and Gillispie plays the same style as Tubby

Not even close...

He is gonna have a lot to overcome

If Billy G can get UK a seed higher than an 8 and have the Cats in 2nd place in the east and not lose more than 25 games, then he will have done more than Tubby did in the last 2 years...

XPS
08-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Whether gatormaniac "despises" UK or not is not the point. I agree with him on this issue

I guess you would sense he is taking up for Tubby, I'm a UK fan and i do support the new coach, when you have rival fans who hate UK agreeing with you and your agreeing with them, thats a telling sign..

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
thank goodness that Tubby did all the heavy lifting and Gillispie came in at the end.

Show some links or quit spreading your lies, did Patterson committe to Tubby or Billy G? He signed to play for Billy G and Tubby never got a commitment, so your information is false..

Tubby who could throw a national title out there..

Thanks to one Mr Rick Pitino and just what did that championship giving to Mr Tubby do for him?

and Gillispie plays the same style as Tubby

Not even close...

He is gonna have a lot to overcome

If Billy G can get UK a seed higher than an 8 and have the Cats in 2nd place in the east and not lose more than 25 games, then he will have done more than Tubby did in the last 2 years...

Let's face it. Had Tubby not kept UK in the race, Gillispie wouldn't have been in it at decision time. Kentucky wouldn't have even been considered. A person that doesn't admit that just doesn't want to realize the truth. Gillispie even mentioned how Patterson "let the old staff into his heart," seems to suggest Gillispie has no trouble giving Tubby credit, as Tubby credited Pitino for helping with his national title.

It remains to be seen if Gillispie with a career record of sub .666 (what Tubby was when he came in here) will do any better than Tubby. As maniac said, you're acting like Gillispie is a savior... and you're the one that said he's coached ZERO years... exactly.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Whether gatormaniac "despises" UK or not is not the point. I agree with him on this issue

I guess you would sense he is taking up for Tubby, I'm a UK fan and i do support the new coach, when you have rival fans who hate UK agreeing with you and your agreeing with them, thats a telling sign..

He mentioned "Tubby" twice in his post, and neither time was a defense of Tubby. If he was really defending Tubby he would say something like Tubby > Gillispie... which wouldn't be hard to defend looking at the records, championship, and #1 recruiting classes... all are in Tubby's favor.

And, actually, I'm glad non-UK fans are agreeing with me. It shows that I'm being "reasonable." The Big Blue Mist isn't always right. Glad non-UK fans see my point of view.

And, as I said, I root for coaches long after you've jumped off the bandwagon, so please let's not talk about who does and doesn't support coaches... because I'll put you to shame on that one.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:20 PM
More than anything it shows how divided/polarized this fanbase really is. At the end of the day, we're all same... we all get "amnesia" when we want to overlook something.

You're overlooking Gillispie's misses, and you're accusing me of overlooking Tubby's. How does that make either of us be able to point the finger at the other? Honestly?

XPS
08-05-2007, 02:24 PM
It remains to be seen if Gillispie with a career record of sub .666 (what Tubby was when he came in here) will do any better than Tubby. As maniac said, you're acting like Gillispie is a savior... and you're the one that said he's coached ZERO years... exactly.

Billy G hasn't been fortunate enough to land jobs where the roster was loaded as has Tubby, Billy G has had to take doomed situations and turn them around..

Patterson signed to play ball for Billy G and UK, not Tubby and UK and thats a fact, the new staff had to sell something new and they did, Tubby and his staff recruited Patterson for a long time and never got a commitment...

UK has finally rid itself of the cancer (Tubby) now i look forward to watching UK get back to elite status, so you can still live in the past with Tubby and i'll live in the future with Billy G...

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Good post man and you make some very valid points in my opinion.

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:26 PM

For now man. I mean don't get me wrong all of that is great but we all know that what tells the tale is winning. Let's see if Billy G. can do that at UK first.

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:27 PM

I agree with you on that but you and I both know that will never ever happen in a million years unfortunately.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Billy G hasn't been fortunate enough to land jobs where the roster was loaded as has Tubby, Billy G has had to take doomed situations and turn them around..

Patterson signed to play ball for Billy G and UK, not Tubby and UK and thats a fact, the new staff had to sell something new and they did, Tubby and his staff recruited Patterson for a long time and never got a commitment...

UK has finally rid itself of the cancer (Tubby) now i look forward to watching UK get back to elite status, so you can still live in the past with Tubby and i'll live in the future with Billy G...

JD Barnett was fired at Tulsa right before Tubby got there because of futility. Tubby had to rebuild that program and took them to two Sweet 16s in years three and four... more Sweet 16s in his first 4 years than Gillispie has had in 5 years of coaching. And, Hugh Durham was pushed out the door before Tubby got to UGA... and Tubby had to replace 7 seniors for his second year, and was still ranked 17 in the country... the only coach in UGA history to win back to back twenty wins years. And, the only coach at Tulsa to have back to back Sweet 16s. And, I won't even tough Kentucky (where he won a championship) since that's a point of contention that we won't agree on. Tubby's Minnesota program was 9-22 last year, so three of his four jobs he took over when they were down, XPS. You can't deny what's fact, unless you have a hidden agenda...

We're not gonna get back to elite status missing 5 recruits in a 3 day period.... by your own SILLY admission, wasn't the problem with Tubby. Oh how forgetful you are... or maybe the word is "biased."

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I told ya GM lol.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Good post man and you make some very valid points in my opinion.

How do you agree with him agreeing with me, when yesterday you were debating me? Nonsense.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I told ya GM lol.

XPS just needs to admit that Gillispie has missed some recruits, just like he did when Tubby was here and we'll be cool. But, like you said, that ain't happnin'.

I just want to understand what the difference in his mind is between Brandon Wright not coming to UK and Tyler Zeller not coming to UK. Both were UK misses.

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:31 PM
How do you agree with him agreeing with me, when yesterday you were debating me? Nonsense.

Read the post again and show me where I agreed. I said it was a good post with some good points. That was all I said. Don't read something that ain't there.

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:32 PM
XPS just needs to admit that Gillispie has missed some recruits, just like he did when Tubby was here and we'll be cool. But, like you said, that ain't happnin'.

Why does he even have to do that? Why can't one of you be the big person in all of this crap and just let it die like it should? Why should he have to give in and you not? Sure Gillispie has missed some recruits, just like Tubby and Coach K. and Dean Smith and a whole host of other guys so what?

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh I love how people rely on the "you're misreading/misquoting what I said." You said he had valid points (his post was about how he agreed with me). Oddly enough they were not valid when you called yourself trying to debate me yesterday. I'm just trying to understand what makes the point valid now when they obviously were points of debate yesterday? Is it a difference in who said them? maniac saying it makes it valid and not me?

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Why does he even have to do that? Why can't one of you be the big person in all of this crap and just let it die like it should? Why should he have to give in and you not? Sure Gillispie has missed some recruits, just like Tubby and Coach K. and Dean Smith and a whole host of other guys so what?

He put me thru crap the last year or so of Tubby's tenure here due to failed recruiting. That's why. Now all of a sudden, it's great to lose recruits. That's a load of "crap" (your word).

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh I love how people rely on the "you're misreading/misquoting what I said." You said he had valid points (his post was about how he agreed with me). Oddly enough they were not valid when you called yourself trying to debate me yesterday. I'm just trying to understand what makes the point valid now when they obviously were points of debate yesterday? Is it a difference in who said them? maniac saying it makes it valid and not me?

I also love how people rely on the it's not valid when I make it crap as well. So apparently we both have something we like. He brought up some good points that I never thought of that I don't remember you bringing up yesterday and if you did then I apologize.

georgiaguy31015
08-05-2007, 02:35 PM
He put me thru crap the last year or so of Tubby's tenure here due to failed recruiting. That's why. Now all of a sudden, it's great to lose recruits. That's a load of "crap" (your word).

Like I said one of you have to be big enough or adult enough to move on but apparently that won't happen.

kentubbybasketball
08-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I'll be the bigger person. I'm just here on record saying Gillispie isn't 10 for 10 on recruits, just like Tubby wasn't.

Good luck to Coach Gillispie on actually getting on a players top 3 list for now on. The funny thing about it is I started this thread in a "joking" manner, even adding smilies and the word "joking" at the end of the post. It wasn't meant to be an indictment of Gillispie. I just like how the people who criticized me of defending Tubby's recruiting are using the same exact excuses for Gillispie now. It's ironic how things work out.

I'm done for good on this "crap."

Storm
08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
i think it's funny that after 5 pages of arguing it always ends with......"i was just joking anyway."......LOL. Maybe we should stop all these "joking" threads because they lead nowhere except to cause more animosity between the same fanbase. It's actually kind of embarrasing to watch people argue so much over the same team. It makes the rest of us UK fans look dumb because we are lumped in with the rest. So start thinking of how you represent your school before arguing with each other all the time. Think about all the time you guys wasted in this thread that could have been directed at MSU.........LOL

XPS
08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Now all of a sudden, it's great to lose recruits

Explain this or link a thread where people are ecstatic about losing recruits? Here's the difference, Tubby was in year 10 and he was having trouble landing the big fish, Billy G is in year one and i think he deserves the chance to see what he lands after one year at UK, I'm already excited about the recruits he has landed, so Billy G has done a better job so far then did Tubby did the last 2 years, why can't some see that Billy G hasn't been at UK long enough to judge him?

XPS
08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I'll be the bigger person

I had stopped at page 4, so don't give yourself to much credit...

XPS
08-06-2007, 11:05 AM
He put me thru crap the last year or so of Tubby's tenure here due to failed recruiting. That's why

Billy G's recruiting has been great, Tubby could do no wrong in your eyes and i love UK and hated to see the program slip and Tubby was the very reason the program slipped, will you admit that?

XPS
08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
but we all know that what tells the tale is winning

I agree 100% Billy G has a great opportunity and i for one can't not wait to see what he can do, he may be great and he may not be, i will give a few years before i judge him, like i did with Tubby...

georgiaguy31015
08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
i think it's funny that after 5 pages of arguing it always ends with......"i was just joking anyway."......LOL. Maybe we should stop all these "joking" threads because they lead nowhere except to cause more animosity between the same fanbase. It's actually kind of embarrasing to watch people argue so much over the same team. It makes the rest of us UK fans look dumb because we are lumped in with the rest. So start thinking of how you represent your school before arguing with each other all the time. Think about all the time you guys wasted in this thread that could have been directed at MSU.........LOL

Good post Storm and you are right unfortunatley no way it happens lol.