Aaron Ellis denied admission to South Carolina [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Ellis denied admission to South Carolina

Dawg
07-19-2007, 10:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/07/19/gamecocks.ellis.ap/index.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Recruit Aaron Ellis will not be admitted to South Carolina, head coach Dave Odom said Thursday.

Ellis, a 6-foot-8 forward from Myrtle Beach, attended Bridgton Academy in Maine last year, the school said.

Ellis was a 3-star small-forward. Good luck to the Gamecocks next season.

KevinKat78
07-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Did he not quilify?

Dawg
07-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Apparently not, he did not meet the university's elligibility requirements.

kentubbybasketball
07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
He did qualify I believe by NCAA standards, but USC's standards are higher. USC has higher standards than most I think. Chad Gray, Aaron Ellis, Mike Holmes, and Mike Jones have all had problems within the last 12 months with those standards. Kudos to USC for such high standards, but they might be handicapping Odom a bit.

GAMECOCKBOY
07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
He did qualify I believe by NCAA standards, but USC's standards are higher. USC has higher standards than most I think. Chad Gray, Aaron Ellis, Mike Holmes, and Mike Jones have all had problems within the last 12 months with those standards. Kudos to USC for such high standards, but they might be handicapping Odom a bit.

its time for odom to start winning or he has to go...this years class is the best class he has ever had here and its all or nothing...the player we needed the most got in and his name is michael holmes... so its time to do something...

kentubbybasketball
07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, the class is rated #16... but remember the class that brought in Kelley, Wallace, and Balkman was #16 as well if I remember by scout.

And, I believe this settles the scholarship situation, right. Now DeLoach doesn't have to redshirt.

I like the addition of Sam Muldrow, he's the center of the future for USC whether Odom is the coach or not.

GAMECOCKBOY
07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah, the class is rated #16... but remember the class that brought in Kelley, Wallace, and Balkman was #16 as well if I remember by scout.

And, I believe this settles the scholarship situation, right. Now DeLoach doesn't have to redshirt.

I like the addition of Sam Muldrow, he's the center of the future for USC whether Odom is the coach or not.
if mike jones was here then deloach would be in prep school...time will only tell if deloach will be redshirted or not...muldrows cousin is former gamecock carlos powell...deloach and muldrow have been in summer school at usc for 3 weeks or more...

msudawg4life
07-21-2007, 02:06 AM
ouch...tough break....

kentubbybasketball
07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
No offense, but does USC think they are Harvard? I mean, really. I know the most important thing here is academics, but let's get real. How high do the standards have to be to get in?

Odom was deadpanned for not recruiting the instate players, now in the last two years Gray, Holmes, Jones, and now Ellis (all instate players Odom has signed since the criticism) have had academic issues.

GAMECOCKBOY
07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
No offense, but does USC think they are Harvard? I mean, really. I know the most important thing here is academics, but let's get real. How high do the standards have to be to get in?

Odom was deadpanned for not recruiting the instate players, now in the last two years Gray, Holmes, Jones, and now Ellis (all instate players Odom has signed since the criticism) have had academic issues.

we don't think we r harvard,but when u have the worst gpa of all the sports.its pathetic and shouldn't be put up with....the mens basketball team gpa has been bad with 2. something for some time and its time for that to change...

kentubbybasketball
07-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree, but a couple of players with a really stinky GPA can hurt when you only have 13 or so players on your roster. Part of recruiting is helping academic casualities get degrees (with the help of a basketball scholarship). Maybe they should tweak it a bit and have tighter rules once the players are there, but it's hard to tell a coach to increase his talent and then once he's done that tell the players they aren't admitted.

Further, it's July 21... doesn't leave Ellis much time for a fallback D-I option you would think. School starts in less than a month.

GAMECOCKBOY
07-21-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree, but a couple of players with a really stinky GPA can hurt when you only have 13 or so players on your roster. Part of recruiting is helping academic casualities get degrees (with the help of a basketball scholarship). Maybe they should tweak it a bit and have tighter rules once the players are there, but it's hard to tell a coach to increase his talent and then once he's done that tell the players they aren't admitted.

Further, it's July 21... doesn't leave Ellis much time for a fallback D-I option you would think. School starts in less than a month.well considering mike jones didn't live up to his part of the agreement...that might have hurt else and might hurt others in the future...well if the players don't have what it takes to get in then they shouldn't ....i don't care how talented u are...u need to do well in the classroom before u can play on the court and that is how it should be..the basketball players grades need to get better...

kentubbybasketball
07-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Fair enough.