July 21st: Chelsea vs LA Galaxy, Beckham to play! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : July 21st: Chelsea vs LA Galaxy, Beckham to play!

SECgamecock453
07-15-2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.wldcup.com/pictures/wld2006/0606/pic42.jpg

Everyone get excited like a Japanese school girl! LOL. That pic just made me laugh, I had to make a thread with it.

GR8NESS
07-15-2007, 12:18 AM
go galaxy baby!

how awesome would it be if they could upset them? even though they won't

EllisHugh02
07-15-2007, 12:47 AM
GEAUX GALAXY! Hopefully they can pull it off and get on a roll to try and get back in contention once MLS play starts back up..

Storm
07-15-2007, 06:51 AM
anyone hear Pele's comments on the whole Beckham thing?........basically said if Beckham doesn't win, it'll be all for not.

SCfan804
07-15-2007, 07:58 AM
They needed him last week when they lost to the Richmond Kickers :rotf:

Seriously though, I'm gonna be rooting for him. What sucks for him is that in this country, if he scores in his first game everyone is gonna expect him to do it in every game and will ridicule him if he doesn't. If he doesn't score in his first couple games, the "bust" talk will be flowing freely from all the soccer haters mouths.

He apologized the other day for calling the sport "football" instead of soccer, since he was in the US. I wish he hadn't, just to pi$$ people off haha

GR8NESS
07-15-2007, 10:53 AM
He apologized the other day for calling the sport "football" instead of soccer, since he was in the US. I wish he hadn't, just to pi$$ people off haha

I know. If it were me, I'd keep calling it football.

2008 National Champions
07-18-2007, 06:02 AM
They are going to get stomped, but it's only a friendly and Pele needs to get back on the Alzheimer's medication if he thinks this is going to make or break the Beckham deal.

Who's expected to play for Chelsea?

GR8NESS
07-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Who's expected to play for Chelsea?

I think it's pretty much their B squad

2008 National Champions
07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I think it's pretty much their B squad

They'll only win by two or three goals then.

EllisHugh02
07-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Hopefully LA can keep it tight. I'll be interested to see Donavon and Beckham play together for the first time..

Storm
07-19-2007, 07:07 AM
any more news on if he's actually going to play? I hear he's got a bum ankle and his fitness level isn't where they want it.

SCfan804
07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
any more news on if he's actually going to play? I hear he's got a bum ankle and his fitness level isn't where they want it.

It sounds like he isn't ready. BUT... with the way the media is blowing this thing up, I'd be shocked if he didn't take the field at some point (especially since they're doing a whole hour long pregame thing about him). I could see him maybe coming in for the first time at the beginning of the 2nd half.

SCfan804
07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
They just said on the All Star telecast that Becks won't start and will come off the bench, just fyi

SCfan804
07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Goaaaaaaaal MLS... nice feed from De Rosario

Geaux 58 03 07
07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
He just got in the game down 1-0 in the 78th minute......If he wants to wear #23 then he has 12 minutes to tie this game, injured or not.

Geaux 58 03 07
07-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Galaxy lose 1-0...bit of a disappointment for him not to have more of an impact even in an abbreviated appearance.

2008 National Champions
07-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Galaxy lose 1-0...bit of a disappointment for him not to have more of an impact even in an abbreviated appearance.

He's got a tweaked ankle and it was only a friendly.

SECgamecock453
07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
How sweet would it have been if that Beckham corner found a head then into the net. Oh well. Everyone expected him to score no matter how long he was on the field, its unrealistic expectations. To me, the whole thing was sort of cheesy. I like Beckham being here but the crowd was louder when he barely touched the ball then the whole game. They like Beckham, not anyone else or the sport for that matter. Only time will tell who the true fans are.

SCfan804
07-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah there's no way you can possibly judge the guy based on a few minutes that he forced himself into. The cross he sent on one of his first touches was pretty nice though. Chelsea brought their A squad... LA was lucky to keep it as close as they did

SECgamecock453
07-21-2007, 10:32 PM
What were the shots, like 20 - 5 in favor of Chelsea?

SCfan804
07-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah.... and LOL at Landon Donovan sprinting to take that corner before Becks could get over there. The guy hadn't hit a decent free kick all night and is arguing with the best spot kicker in the world.

SCfan804
07-21-2007, 10:34 PM
What were the shots, like 20 - 5 in favor of Chelsea?

At least... Chelsea spent the entire game in LA's box but just couldnt ever finish. Xavi or whatever that Portugese defenders name is really played a helluva game for LA.

SECgamecock453
07-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Abel Xavier, the guy with the crazy hair.

http://static.blogo.it/calcioblog/abel_xavier.jpg

Lol.

Geaux 58 03 07
07-21-2007, 11:33 PM
He didn't have to score but my god when you come in with the hype that this man has you need to produce and produce quickly. Especially when you decide you're going to wear #23. If he had come in and helped tie the game then BOOM, everyone is coming back for more the next time this guy plays. I know I would....now I will probably keep tabs on him but it's not a must see like it would have been if he had been able to do a little more.

SECgamecock453
07-22-2007, 12:08 AM
He didn't have to score but my god when you come in with the hype that this man has you need to produce and produce quickly. Especially when you decide you're going to wear #23. If he had come in and helped tie the game then BOOM, everyone is coming back for more the next time this guy plays. I know I would....now I will probably keep tabs on him but it's not a must see like it would have been if he had been able to do a little more.

Thanks for summing up the typical American soccer "fan" for me. Oh yeah, and Beckham was definitely right about America being a new challenge. I dont think he can win this one though.

Geaux 58 03 07
07-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks for summing up the typical American soccer "fan" for me. Oh yeah, and Beckham was definitely right about America being a new challenge. I dont think he can win this one though.

I know he was hurt and all....and I know soccer is a different kind of game.....I'm not writing the whole thing off, but the excitement level isn't where it could have been after game 1, that's all.

SECgamecock453
07-22-2007, 12:21 AM
First off, I don't expect everyone to like soccer as much as I do. That's a given. But for a guy to come on for 11 minutes and then for you to say a comment like that is ridiculous. He shouldn't have even played, he did it to please the crowd and he still had that very bad tackle and he's lucky to not be too hurt from that. Second, they were playing Chelsea's best players, all on their A Squad (aside from the couple subs they brought in later on). Third, LA have a ton of new players that are still figuring out how to play together. For them to lose 1-0 to Chelsea the way they poured it on is not bad. Beckham will be more exciting when he's not injured and playing vs other MLS teams. But it was nice to see him get that support, no matter how serious the fans really are at ever following any other soccer news.

Geaux 58 03 07
07-22-2007, 12:31 AM
First off, I don't expect everyone to like soccer as much as I do. That's a given. But for a guy to come on for 11 minutes and then for you to say a comment like that is ridiculous. He shouldn't have even played, he did it to please the crowd and he still had that very bad tackle and he's lucky to not be too hurt from that. Second, they were playing Chelsea's best players, all on their A Squad (aside from the couple subs they brought in later on). Third, LA have a ton of new players that are still figuring out how to play together. For them to lose 1-0 to Chelsea the way they poured it on is not bad. Beckham will be more exciting when he's not injured and playing vs other MLS teams. But it was nice to see him get that support, no matter how serious the fans really are at ever following any other soccer news.

I'm just saying that for the thing to basically take over ESPN for the night, I was hoping for a little more....I know the guy is hurt and all, but if he had been able to tie the game i think it would have really given this whole thing a huge jump start that i was hoping to see. I want soccer to take that next step in America and tonight could have been an amazing moment if he had been able to help tie that game, that's all.

Storm
07-22-2007, 06:34 AM
some games go into Extra time and can go over 100 minutes without a goal, if you think one guy can come in and get a goal against one of the top club teams in Europe, in under 11 minutes, than this may not be the sport for you.

I'm sorry I missed the game, I was on the road.

Storm
07-22-2007, 06:34 AM
the fact the game took over ESPN for the night is a step in the right direction.

SCfan804
07-22-2007, 07:59 AM

Lol... yeah, but when your subs are Andriy Shevchenko and Joe Cole, well... are they really subs? D@mn Yankees of soccer haha

GR8NESS
07-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Pretty impressed with LA's performance last night.

SECgamecock453
07-22-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bTsClFABE

Good highlights video from the game.