Even more on Hopson... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Even more on Hopson...

Dawg
07-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I apologize for yet another thread with a similar subject, but the press on this young man is overwhleming. Here is yet another note on Hopson, calling him "one of the best players at the festival".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/07/12/hoop.thoughts/1.html

Two guys I had seen before who made good impressions: Demarcus Cousins, a 6-9 forward from Birmingham, and Scotty Hopson, a 6-5 wing from Hopkinsville, Ky., who has committed to Mississippi State. Cousins is really big, but he looked in much better control of his body than when I saw him two weeks ago at USA Basketball's Youth Development Festival. Hopson was one of the best players at the festival, and he again looked terrific in Akron. Besides being a great leaper with a nice shooting touch, Hopson really appears to enjoy playing defense, and I swear I have never seen him play a bad game.

leland7
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Reportedly, Scotty Hopson speaks very highly of Mississippi State's recruiting class(Guys like himself, Osby, and Bost). Appears to be very impressed with his fellow Mississippi State recruits, and the potential of the class. Hopson indicates that he thinks that they all have 5 star potential, and talks on winning championships with these guys, and also going to the Final Four, Ect. Recruits in Mississippi State's class of 2007, and the class of 2008 are talking about winning championships. These kids are starting to become aware of and even know each other. They appear confident in themselves as well as the the other guys. Ravern Johnson, Kodi Augustus, Elgin Bailey, Riley Benock (2007), and Scotty Hopson, Romero Osby, Dee Bost(2008). Other players are still being looked at.

MSU159
07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
There has been what would best be called a media frenzy among Kentucky media members about the extremely talented Scotty Hopson's commitment to Mississippi State, a commitment that he gave almost nine months ago.

"Nothing has really changed about my commitment," said the soft-spoken youngster. "I'm just looking forward to playing for Mississippi State. Nothing has changed."

And, to be perfectly honest, recruiting seems to be the farthest thing from his mind, despite the constant media barrage.

"I'm looking forward to my next high school season right now, then college," said Scott. "I'm taking it one step at a time."

No recruiting thoughts or McDonald's All-American thoughts or even NBA thoughts, just high school then college.

Scotty explained how he keeps such a level head.

"A lot of people ask me that," said Scotty, with a slight laugh. "I stay humble and stay hungry every day. As long as you do those two things, I think you will be successful."

And based on the accolades he's receiving from sites such as Scout.com that formula for success is coming through in a big way.

According to Scout.com National Recruiting Director Dave Telep, after watching Scotty at the LeBron James Academy tournament, "We submit he was the most impressive performer in the wing skill drills. He had a great approach toward the instructions and his execution was strong. That ease that we love about his game was evident. All the accolades and honors seniors are in line for are his for the taking if he can replicate that effort."

And Scotty has taken those words to heart.

"I think I'm just playing harder overall, just trying to go out and compete every possession, every play on the court," said the 6-6, 180-pounder.

And Telep sees Scotty moving up the rankings from his current four-star and 28th best player in the nation ranking. "I am positive Scotty will be a five-star given his effort at Nike," said Telep.

And very likely a McDonald's All-American selection is in his future thanks to that effort. If he is selected to that game, he'll join other Mississippi State signees that have made it including a former Gatorade National Player of the Year and current NBA star Monta Ellis, former NBA player Jonathan Bender, current NBA player Travis Outlaw and Mario Austin.

But Scotty won't be a stranger to an all-star type event. He's already played in a couple of high profile ones recently, including the above mentioned LeBron Academy and also the invitation-only USA Basketball Men's Youth Development Festival.

"Man, that was a great feeling, knowing that you were chosen from players throughout the nation," said Scotty, of his selection to play in the festival. "It was nice playing out there, playing against some of the other great players in the nation. There was top talent from all over the nation."

But the talent level at the festival couldn't compare to what he experienced at the LeBron Academy.

"It had the same atmosphere, but there were more players and more talent," said Scotty. "You had to compete every time you got on the floor, even in drills. And the harder you work, the better you will get."

He's also used tips that he's received from another Mississippi State commitment, Romero Osby, also a four-star prospect who is ranked the 42nd best player in the nation by Scout.com.

"I met (Romero) a year or two ago at a Mississippi State camp," said Scotty. "Since then, I've seen him at a couple of AAU camps and we started talking then. We talk almost every day. We talk about right now and about our future. I give him tips sometimes and he gives me tips sometimes."

But trading tips aren't the only thing they discuss.

"We also talk about in the future when we get down to Mississippi State and end up winning championships and going to the Final Four, at the least," said Scotty.

And with the addition of four-star point guard Dee Bost to the twosome of himself and Osby, Scotty likes what he sees in the future of Mississippi State basketball.

"I see success for our class. We have a class that has (the potential to have) three five-stars on it," noted Scotty. "That tells you how great we can be. We just have to come in and work hard and, hopefully, make a name for ourself at Mississippi State."

Add those three names to the players MSU will have coming back from this coming season and the Rick Stansbury-led Mississippi State basketball program, a program that's he's built into one of the three most successful in the SEC, will only build on the success that it's had with him during his nine years as the MSU head coach.

A success that includes six 20+ wins seasons, 1 SEC overall championship, 1 SEC Tournament championship, 3 SEC Western Division championships and 7 post-season tournament appearances.

And think what he and his staff can do now that players such as Hopson, Osby and Bost, players that very well would have gone to the NBA straight out of high school in the past, attend college first. The possibilities are almost mind-boggling.

http://mississippistate.scout.com/a.z?s=136&p=2&c=658451

I seriously doubt his recruiting will open back up.

XPS
07-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Guys he is the real deal and highly likely a Mcdonald's all American...

OffThePorch
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Guys he is the real deal and highly likely a Mcdonald's all American...

Now we get Monroe. jk i think. :)
UK will always get its share & more, esp with BG.

XPS
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Now we get Monroe. jk i think. :)
UK will always get its share & more, esp with BG.

The stronger the SEC, the better...:cheers:

NCMISSSTFAN
07-13-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm starting to get alot more excited about next year's class. I don't know Hopson's exact plans but he sounds to me like he's committed to MSU. He and Osby have turned into very good friends and he likes what he knows about Dee Bost. This may wind up being the best class Stansbury has brought in, and he's brought in some pretty good ones.

Dawg
07-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Stansbury's problem has always been the high-school-to-NBA kids. Now that the problem has been taken care for him, I would expect this type of class more often than not.

XPS
07-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Stansbury's problem has always been the high-school-to-NBA kids. Now that the problem has been taken care for him, I would expect this type of class more often than not.

Good point...

OffThePorch
07-14-2007, 08:59 AM
All 3 boys sound like they're committed to MSU & committed to getting better as players. They better commit to the classroom or its all for nothing. Stansbury will let talent go if its not doing it in the classroom.

Im excited about this seasons team. Rhodes and Gordon both want to
get drafted which means both better step it up. Rhodes needs a monster season or he's not going high. Gordon is just a junior so he has options. Brian Johnson is a wild card in the mix as a junior. Varnado will be much improved from a good freshmen season in the middle. I know Hansbrough & Stewart will get better with more time. Turner will spot for them. A couple of the freshmen will get some time too. We should be near the top of the West. I think most MSU fans would agree with me that we'd take a 2nd in the West to make a long run in the dance. Seems like its been forever since we even made sweet 16. GO MSU!

msudawg4life
07-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Brian Johnson will be a Junior, but he's only used up 1 year of his eligibility I believe...like Powers he can go on to be a 5th year senior and still play I believe.

jt4lsu
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
I work at a high school in memphis where a lot of the AAU tournaments are held. I saw this kid play and he is good as advertised. BUT, he did seem to have a little bit of an attitude problem the games I saw him play.

Dawg
07-18-2007, 05:36 PM
I hope for our conference that he brings none of it to campus. The SEC needs more athletes ready to do what it takes to win and become a better student-athlete.