Willie Warren cooling on UK? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Willie Warren cooling on UK?

GatorMan32
07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Found this surprising (by the way it was posted on another forum sans link so I don't have one to use either.

From the Louisville Courier-Journal:

By Jody Demling

Texas guard Warren cooling on Kentucky
Texas guard Willie Warren didn't say Kentucky was eliminated from his recruiting process, but the top-20 senior-to-be has lost some enthusiasm for the Wildcats.

The 6-4, 195-pound Warren shook his head when asked Sunday where Kentucky was on his list, noting "they have a lot of guards."

DeAndre Liggins (Class of 2008), G.J. Vilarino (2009) and K.C. Ross-Miller (2010) recently committed to UK.

"Not that I am worried about it because I think I can compete with anybody," Warren said, "but I am going to have to share minutes there. Coach (Billy) Gillispie is telling you one thing, and then they turn around and get another guard. I just don't know."

Warren had been rumored to be close to a commitment to UK in April. He committed to Baylor recently, only to take it back after a few hours.

He wants to narrow his list by the end of the summer, and one school that could be on it is Louisville. Warren spoke highly of the Cardinals' program and coach Rick Pitino, saying, "Louisville is higher than Kentucky right now."

"I mean, (the Cards) have guards, but the only guards they are recruiting are me and Tyreke (Evans)," he said. "I can live with that because we're both interchangeable. I can play the one sometimes and he can play the two, and then he can play the one and I can play the two. And with (U of L commitment) Samardo (Samuels) down there, that would be nice.

"I don't have to worry about Liggins coming in and subbing in for me at the one, and after one year G.J. subbing in, and if I stay three years then my (AAU) teammate now, K.C. Ross-Miller, coming in and playing some at the point."

Warren's list includes Baylor, Texas, Kansas, Cincinnati, Florida, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas, among others.

One interesting result if Warren goes to UofL might be them not having a spot for Sylven Landesberg and if UF takes a 5th player he is very much someone we'd want for that spot. Was worried Landesberg might follow Samuels.