"But right now, I'm committed to Mississippi State." [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : "But right now, I'm committed to Mississippi State."

XPS
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
It seemed Kentucky had gotten Hopson's attention. His face brightened when asked about UK's commitment from DeAndre Liggins, another wing-sized player in the Class of 2008. "Pretty nice player," Hopson said. "I like his game. He plays some point guard. I play (shooting guard). Maybe we could be a one-two combo.

"But right now, I'm committed to Mississippi State."

Perhaps the "right now" portion of the comment bears watching.
http://kentucky.com/232/story/118716.html

This thing may not be over, I have heard rumors lately, but wanted to hear from the horses mouth first...

msudawgs1964
07-08-2007, 11:25 PM
don't know but then again I don't care really but let me explain my reasoning..

Here is my view on recruits and their commitments..they don't mean jack squat and I don't get overly excited until they actually sign the BINDING letter of intent.

I have seen too many recruits back out and go elsewhere and on the flip side of that I have seen recruits committed to another school back out of that commitment and come to State. Problem is a man and his word ain't good enough anymore so until he signs the letter, as far as I am concerned he is still open game to anyone.

GatorMan32
07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm telling him you called him a horse ;)

64, basketball is different actually. Almost every commit honors their commitment in basketball barring coaching change. Football is where kids switch commitments like they change boxers or whatever.

msudawgs1964
07-08-2007, 11:28 PM
ha, well coming from the horses mouth is much better than coming from the south end.

XPS
07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Here is my view on recruits and their commitments..they don't mean jack squat and I don't get overly excited until they actually sign the BINDING letter of intent.

True

msudawgs1964
07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm telling him you called him a horse ;)

64, basketball is different actually. Almost every commit honors their commitment in basketball barring coaching change. Football is where kids switch commitments like they change boxers or whatever.

well I guess that is true but until we actually sign him and force him to honor his letter then I am cautiously optimistic.

MSU159
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
By Steve Robertson
Scout.com
Posted Jul 6, 2007

Scotty Hopson made his commitment to Mississippi State several months ago. Throughout the process Hopson claims has never waivered. He said he did not think he could be more solid in his commitment and then Romero Osby joined the Bulldog party.

Scotty Hopson Profile
Scotty and Romero are both veterans of the summer AAU circuit and camp tour, so they have had the chance to get to know each other.

"I met him last year at a camp we went to and we just hit it off there," said Scotty. "We have been friends ever since then."

Scotty considers himself one of Romero's biggest supporters.

"He is real athletic," said Hopson. "He has some quickness to him. He can jump and shoot. He can do whatever he needs to do on the floor."

The talented tandem has had the chance to square off against each other several times. Despite only getting to team up in some pick-up games the two have worked to make each other better.

"We have played against each other some." said Hopson. "I haven't played with him in a while. I pick up on some stuff from him when I see him play and he picks up on some stuff from me when I play."

The talented Hopson has been very vocal about his loyalty to his commitment to Mississippi State. Now that Romero has joined Scotty on the Bulldogs' commitment list things look to be even more concrete.

"It makes me even more solid," said Scotty. "It makes me want to go there even more knowing we have even more talent coming in. We are going be even better."

Unfortunately for Scotty, he has been dogged by questions about his recruitment at every turn since the University of Kentucky made a coaching change. The youngster reports that the comments have caused him some frustration.

"I don't understand why people want to spread rumors if they don't know the exact truth," said Hopson. "I was just having to deal with some of that. This guy said he heard that I had reopened my recruitment and that I was going to Kentucky. I told him once again that I hadn't. I get tired of it."

MSU159
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't know. Two different reports and two different answer.

XPS
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Jeannette Hopson noted the number of in-state players Kentucky passed on when Tubby Smith was coach. "If Tubby recruited Scotty, even during the last period, Scotty probably would have gone to Kentucky," she said.

At least we won't have to put up with this BS anymore:zipit:

XPS
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
By Steve Robertson
Scout.com
Posted Jul 6, 2007

Scotty Hopson made his commitment to Mississippi State several months ago. Throughout the process Hopson claims has never waivered. He said he did not think he could be more solid in his commitment and then Romero Osby joined the Bulldog party.

Scotty Hopson Profile
Scotty and Romero are both veterans of the summer AAU circuit and camp tour, so they have had the chance to get to know each other.

"I met him last year at a camp we went to and we just hit it off there," said Scotty. "We have been friends ever since then."

Scotty considers himself one of Romero's biggest supporters.

"He is real athletic," said Hopson. "He has some quickness to him. He can jump and shoot. He can do whatever he needs to do on the floor."

The talented tandem has had the chance to square off against each other several times. Despite only getting to team up in some pick-up games the two have worked to make each other better.

"We have played against each other some." said Hopson. "I haven't played with him in a while. I pick up on some stuff from him when I see him play and he picks up on some stuff from me when I play."

The talented Hopson has been very vocal about his loyalty to his commitment to Mississippi State. Now that Romero has joined Scotty on the Bulldogs' commitment list things look to be even more concrete.

"It makes me even more solid," said Scotty. "It makes me want to go there even more knowing we have even more talent coming in. We are going be even better."

Unfortunately for Scotty, he has been dogged by questions about his recruitment at every turn since the University of Kentucky made a coaching change. The youngster reports that the comments have caused him some frustration.

"I don't understand why people want to spread rumors if they don't know the exact truth," said Hopson. "I was just having to deal with some of that. This guy said he heard that I had reopened my recruitment and that I was going to Kentucky. I told him once again that I hadn't. I get tired of it."

What a difference 2 days make huh?

MSU159
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Or what a difference a check make$? only playing =)

XPS
07-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Or what a difference a check make$? only playing =)

:rotf: UK is also recruiting Darius Miller as well out of KY, I hope he stays with Miss St, Miss St has been loyal to him from the start and he should do the same..

msudawgs1964
07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
:rotf: UK is also recruiting Darius Miller as well out of KY, I hope he stays with Miss St, Miss St has been loyal to him from the start and he should do the same..

very nice point....

Dawg
07-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Seems as if the kid is a bit star-struck and will say what it takes to flatter the interviewer. Noone will know much until he signs.

XPS
07-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Noone will know much until he signs.

I agree with that...

MSUado
07-09-2007, 07:07 AM
I think it bodes well for us that Osby has also made a verbal commitment. Hopson seemed excited to have another good recruit coming in to play with him. I would be afraid though that if we lose one we lose them both.

statesboroblues
07-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I think it bodes well for us that Osby has also made a verbal commitment. Hopson seemed excited to have another good recruit coming in to play with him. I would be afraid though that if we lose one we lose them both.

Stans does not have a history of losing players...Of course keeping a top 25 player from the state of Kentucky with UK putting pressure on him would be tough, considering if UK is actively recruiting him. Having said that we will not lose Osby no matter what Hopson decides.

"Eat a Peach"

MSUado
07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't understand why Tubby wouldn't recruit the guy in the first place.

kentubbybasketball
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Personally, I don't want Hopson here. I think we're quite fine at the guard positions now and for the future. He's a good pickup for MSU... we need guys who will play consistently all the time... with an insatiable fire.

statesboroblues
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Personally, I don't want Hopson here. I think we're quite fine at the guard positions now and for the future. He's a good pickup for MSU... we need guys who will play consistently all the time... with an insatiable fire.

We shall see...will we not? I think Stans can get him to play consistently...Not to mention he has a year to prove his critics wrong.

"Eat a Peach"

kentubbybasketball
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
There's no way for him to prove critics wrong. The critics have voiced their displeasure with his "off-on switch" style of play, because Hopson has chosed to play that way. If he plays with a consummate effort each and every game, maybe he will be the biggest addition to the whole conference in 2008. But, in the state of Kentucky alone, he went from the #1 player in the class to the #3 player (behind Miller and Mackey). Hopson plays in the Second Region of Kentucky, which isn't that tough, considering his talents. I don't know he didn't have a good high school season. In AAU ball though, he's right there with Tyreke Evans in this class.

Dawg
07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Many players go through a period of lesser play. With things such as prom, graduation (of seniors), dating, finals, and otherwise, it's understandable that kids aren't going to be completely reliable all the time.

Fact is, Hopson is an extremely talented player who will be a major pickup for whatever team he ends up on.

kentubbybasketball
07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Fact is, Hopson is an extremely talented player who will be a major pickup for whatever team he ends up on.

Have I really said otherwise? I believe in a nutshell that was my point.

statesboroblues
07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
There's no way for him to prove critics wrong. The critics have voiced their displeasure with his "off-on switch" style of play, because Hopson has chosed to play that way. If he plays with a consummate effort each and every game, maybe he will be the biggest addition to the whole conference in 2008. But, in the state of Kentucky alone, he went from the #1 player in the class to the #3 player (behind Miller and Mackey). Hopson plays in the Second Region of Kentucky, which isn't that tough, considering his talents. I don't know he didn't have a good high school season. In AAU ball though, he's right there with Tyreke Evans in this class.

Correct Ktubby, I should not have said...prove his critics wrong. What I meant was, He has a whole year to make his critics change their minds. And considering how he is playing as of now...he is well on his way. Now the only question will be if he keeps it up.

"Eat a Peach"

OffThePorch
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Scotty's going to be a good one imo no matter where he goes. I believe we end up with him but who knows. Him & Romero coming in right after Kodi Augustus & Ravern Johnson are a lot of depth at basicly the same positions.

kentubbybasketball
07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Correct Ktubby, I should not have said...prove his critics wrong. What I meant was, He has a whole year to make his critics change their minds. And considering how he is playing as of now...he is well on his way. Now the only question will be if he keeps it up.

"Eat a Peach"

Yeah, Scotty controls what happens with his season, Lordwilling he lives next year. He's too good to have his team lose in the first round of district competition.

leland7
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Hopson appears to be a very good pick up for Mississippi State. Guys like he and Osby really help add talent to a team. Kentucky and other SEC schools have very good recruits set to come in also. Lots of talented players coming into the SEC as well as nationally. These kids can really play, still life is more than just basketball. Even in the midst of this basketball forum, God Is(God is everything). Love.

kentubbybasketball
07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
I know it sounds like I'm trying to pile it on, but I've also heard that Osby is the same way... turns it off and on when he wants too.

statesboroblues
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I know it sounds like I'm trying to pile it on, but I've also heard that Osby is the same way... turns it off and on when he wants too.

What you "heard" is incorrect...very high motor. He went through a few injuries this summer that slowed him down.

"Eat a Peach"

kentubbybasketball
07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm just going by what Matt Jones said, and Matt's proven in the past that he's pretty fair in his evaluations. He said he was happy that Kentucky cooled off on Osby.

Dawg
07-10-2007, 12:57 PM
As is Mississippi State, apparently, because Stansbury and crew seem elated to have signed both Hopson and Osby. Both should bring an instant impact on a collegiate team.

kentubbybasketball
07-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Why would they not be "elated." You don't offer to a player that you dont' want.

MSUado
07-10-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm just going by what Matt Jones said, and Matt's proven in the past that he's pretty fair in his evaluations. He said he was happy that Kentucky cooled off on Osby.

If Osby had committed to UK (or Hopson for that matter) you would be on here saying how he's going to be the best player in the SEC. According to Rivals Memphis, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Florida, UCONN, Alabama, UCLA, Texas, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, and UNC were all on this guys list so obviously there are some very good things about him. Why can't you just be happy that we got him instead of making up negative stuff about him.

kentubbybasketball
07-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I could careless who MSU recruits, honestly. The fact of the matter is the thread is about MSU recruits, so all I'm telling you is what I've heard and I even told you who I heard it from. I heard Tyler Zeller had his way with Osby.

And, sure all those teams are on his list... nobody ever said he wasn't talented, but he is inconsistent.

And, as far as "If Osby committed to Kentucky..." we're going after other players, and I'll be happy to give my opinions of whomever they are.

OffThePorch
07-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Glad we got them. GO MSU!

statesboroblues
07-11-2007, 08:56 AM

I don't know who this Matt Jones is but he couldn't be more wrong on the subject. I have seen the boy play up to 30 or so times...very high motor. It is actually funny, because that is the opposite of Osby...total opposite. Now if Matt Jones saw him play this summer...he may have not played so great. He was injured for the most part and had to leave 2 camps. And as far as UK cooling off on him...It would not have mattered on way or the otherHe was headed to State, Kansas(his dad really liked Kansas), or Louisville...Kansas was to far(very family oriented) and he got back from his Louisville visit it was no doubt where he was going. He did it a little quicker than expected, though.

"Eat a Peach"

kentubbybasketball
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't know where Osby was headed, because I haven't talked to him (I assume you have), but I'm glad that Kentucky is pursuing better-regarded players.

statesboroblues
07-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know where Osby was headed, because I haven't talked to him (I assume you have), but I'm glad that Kentucky is pursuing better-regarded players.

:blah:
And lets all hope they are as "Meek" as Jodie Meeks...

http://www.jodiemeeks.net

"Eat a Peach"

OffThePorch
07-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Same old BS.

XPS
07-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Osby

MSU got a very talented player, one that UK and UL and a host of others wanted...