New Rivals 150 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : New Rivals 150

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 12:24 PM
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617

Guys that stuck out of interest to SEC teams (if your program has other guys of interest, please feel free to note them and I will edit this):

5 stars
1- Greg Monroe
13- Willie Warren
14- Tyler Zeller
15- Kenny Kadji (UF commit)
16- Elliot Williams
18- Tony Woods
19- Deandre Liggins (UK commit)
20- Scotty Hopson (MSU commit)
21- Jamychal Green
22- Angel Garcia
23- Eloy Vargas
24- Howard Thompkins (UGA commit)
4 stars
29- Terrelle Pryor
30- Darius Miller
43- Tony Mitchell (Bama commit)
45- Sylven Landesberg
47- Xavier Gibson
50- Romero Osby (MSU commit)
55- Chris Singleton
63- Philip Jurick (UT commit0
67- Malcom White (OM commit)
76- Steve Tchiengang
78- Dequan Jones
79- Scott Suggs
3 stars
123- Ray Shipman (UF commit)
128- Erving Walker (UF commit)
131- Terrance Joyner (Ark commit)
140- James Tyler (LSU commit)

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Could be a lot of impressive talent coming into the SEC next year, especially potentially with a good number of 5 stars added to the ones already locked in.

One thing I don't get is their distaste for Shipman. Reading their 'experts' take on him its like they don't care what he improves they are going to rank him lower. That is by far the lowest I've seen him. I get it with Walker cause he is 5'7 and people want to doubt his height. That is understandable. Shipman, I don't get.

MSU159
07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Romero Osby is committed to Miss ST

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Crap. I knew that and thought I noted it. Fixed now.

msudawg4life
07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
I like your sig GM...that's one kid i'll be rooting for....he's the type of hero kids should be looking up to. Rep when I can.

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I agree. This young man is a true hero. So are all of the men and women that serve this country.

kentubbybasketball
07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
LSU could do something for itself if they are able to land Greg Monroe.

GM32, no mention of Tyler Zeller, who UT and UK are both after.

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Added. Like I said, hard to keep track of who everyone is after and some guys like Zeller I left off by accident cause I did know about.

Think about this, as many as 8 or so 5 stars could be headed to the SEC next year. Monroe has everyone after him so no idea what he is truly thinking. But if you look at Warren could be at UK or maybe his Mom will say no to college ball LOL Zeller could be at UK or UT and UK should have Liggins help there. Williams has UT on his short list and I'd rather see him in the SEC than at Duke. Woods is probably going to WF but then again things switch back and forth with him between Florida and WF. Garcia is more open to Florida than his coach seems to want out there. Green is looking hard at Bama, right? Many feel Vargas is a guy Florida can have from in the state if UF turns the heat up for him but right now he does like Pitt. UK, UT and UF can all add up to as many as 2 more 5 stars. Bama could add another. Maybe Monroe stays home. You could see 8 or 9 5 stars signing with SEC schools. That'd be a major statement.

XPS
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
You could see 8 or 9 5 stars signing with SEC schools. That'd be a major statement.
:cheers:

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Hell could you imagine the East if UF, UT and UK all signed at least 2 5 stars and 1 or 2 as many as 3???? Holy cow. Throw those guys onto 3 already talented rosters and its just sick.

Dawg
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Sure seems to me as though MSU is the only school aggresively recruiting in the West. With their resources Arkansas and Alabama both have the ability to bring in more talent than they have, and probably will given the time (this is awfully early in the process). Ole Miss and Georgia should be proud to sign such highly sought-after recruits after a history of struggling to compete, and using their forward momentum (both schools have plenty of it) to help in their recruiting efforts.

I'm also surprised Florida settled on two guys rated lower than 100th. Either Donovan knows something the rest of us do not, or he has other plans.

I look forward to years of competitive SEC recruiting/basketball!

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Shipman is Top 100 other places. But regardless of internet rankings, I trust Donovan's knowledge of the raw talent he is looking for. A kid like Shipman needs some coaching on jump shots and stuff, but he knows the staff can fix that. You either have the natural talent or you don't. Other things can be coached. Also he wants 3 to 4 year guys, not guys looking for a quick jump. That will still happen some, but he'd rather have a talented guy for 3 or 4 years than a talented and ready guy for 1.

Walker is a guy I've seen 'experts' say would be Top 10 to 15 if he were 6' or taller. Well if he is anything like Porter from Oregon, I can live with that.

kentubbybasketball
07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Sure seems to me as though MSU is the only school aggresively recruiting in the West. With their resources Arkansas and Alabama both have the ability to bring in more talent than they have, and probably will given the time (this is awfully early in the process). Ole Miss and Georgia should be proud to sign such highly sought-after recruits after a history of struggling to compete, and using their forward momentum (both schools have plenty of it) to help in their recruiting efforts.

I'm also surprised Florida settled on two guys rated lower than 100th. Either Donovan knows something the rest of us do not, or he has other plans.

I look forward to years of competitive SEC recruiting/basketball!

Pelphrey is new on the job. It's hard to come in and outrecruit somebody like Mark Gottfried who is pretty established, as in he's entering his 10th season at Bama. Pel did get the guy prepping at Genesis One, Terrance Henry, and Bama just got a commitment from the Mitchell guy who was ranked 67.

What have you been hearing about Scotty Hopson BTW. Is he a solid verbal?

kentubbybasketball
07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Shipman is Top 100 other places. But regardless of internet rankings, I trust Donovan's knowledge of the raw talent he is looking for. A kid like Shipman needs some coaching on jump shots and stuff, but he knows the staff can fix that. You either have the natural talent or you don't. Other things can be coached. Also he wants 3 to 4 year guys, not guys looking for a quick jump. That will still happen some, but he'd rather have a talented guy for 3 or 4 years than a talented and ready guy for 1.

Walker is a guy I've seen 'experts' say would be Top 10 to 15 if he were 6' or taller. Well if he is anything like Porter from Oregon, I can live with that.

Exactly. Nothing makes me angrier about recruiting than people speculating and passing judgement on a coach for signing a player that isn't top 100. I'm sure everybody would have loved Taureen Green on their team the last 3 years... and he was 105 I believe.

About Erving Walker. Billy's got two pint-sized PGs in two straight classes. That's interesting, because it seems like people are trending toward trying to get big point guards or getting versatile wing players that can play the lead position.

msudawgs1964
07-03-2007, 07:40 PM
What have you been hearing about Scotty Hopson BTW. Is he a solid verbal?

it shows him as a solid verbal on Rivals.com, but hey take that for what it's worth.

kentubbybasketball
07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
People (mainly some UK fans) are always speculating about him, and I was just wondering if that's what they're talking about down in Starkville too.

OffThePorch
07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
He's solid. Worry about UK.

Mississippi State 2008 Basketball Commitments (2)
*****Scotty Hopson SF 6-5 185 6.0 Hopkinsville, KY
****Romero Osby PF 6-8 230 5.9 Meridian, MS

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Billy wants a certain kind of guard to do certain kinds of things. He has never been afraid to go undersized at the guard. Dupay was really short. Green is only 5'11, Hodge is between 5'10 and 5'11, Hump was short for a 2 between 6'1 and 6'2. The reason he likes Walker is because he can stretch the defense way out with his ability to launch from all kinds of distances ala Porter or Hump. He can also create for others and he is a tough little kid from NY who has played at Ruckers and everywhere else in NY as the little guy people thought they could take advantage of. He continues to hold his own. People will obviously shoot over him, but he will cause issues when other guards try to put the ball on the floor so its a trade off defensively.

Shipman is a guy who has had the knock of not being a great shooter but he has fixed his mechanics this spring and early summer and has found the 3 point range. Add that to his slashing and the other ways he scores and you have a dangerous player. But the Rivals guys have basically said their minds are made up about him and it won't matter what he does in improving his game... that is the major problem with these so called talent evaluators for internet sites. Coaches can't afford to be so stubborn.

As far as the undersize PG's go. Don't forget that Shipman and Calathes can play the point when we want to go bigger. Just using guys on campus or committed, by 08 a big line up could be Calathes (6'6), Allen (about the same in height), Parsons (expected to stop growing at 6'11), Kadji (6'10 and still growing) and Speights (6'10).

kentubbybasketball
07-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Shipman might be key in helping get Boynton for 2009 IMO... aren't that both from Popano Beach (my sister used to live there, that's how I know about it). And, they go to the same school.

GatorMan32
07-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Shipman and Speights were key with Kadji. He is from overseas and is apparently a pretty quiet kid so what few friends he has made he is excited to stay close to. Shipman and Boynton don't go to the same school but I do think they know each other. Right now I'd be shocked if Boynton is anything but a Gator.

georgiaguy31015
07-04-2007, 12:03 AM
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617

Guys that stuck out of interest to SEC teams (if your program has other guys of interest, please feel free to note them and I will edit this):

5 stars
1- Greg Monroe
13- Willie Warren
14- Tyler Zeller
15- Kenny Kadji (UF commit)
16- Elliot Williams
18- Tony Woods
19- Deandre Liggins (UK commit)
20- Scotty Hopson (MSU commit)
21- Jamychal Green
22- Angel Garcia
23- Eloy Vargas
24- Howard Thompkins (UGA commit)
4 stars
29- Terrelle Pryor
30- Darius Miller
43- Tony Mitchell (Bama commit)
45- Sylven Landesberg
47- Xavier Gibson
50- Romero Osby (MSU commit)
55- Chris Singleton
63- Philip Jurick (UT commit0
67- Malcom White (OM commit)
76- Steve Tchiengang
78- Dequan Jones
79- Scott Suggs
3 stars
123- Ray Shipman (UF commit)
128- Erving Walker (UF commit)
131- Terrance Joyner (Ark commit)
140- James Tyler (LSU commit)

Thanks for the info man.

Dawg
07-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Kentubby, I haven't any speculation whatsoever in my circles, but I can't promise that he isn't faltering. I see no reason to believe he is, but lots can happen outside of the public eye.

I completely agree with you about talent, Gator. I meant no disrespect whatsoever, I suppose I just expect a two-time national champion to be signing #1-10. I fully realize that isn't possible or smart, for that matter. I would totally trust Billy's ability to judge raw talent as well...he certainly has the resume' to back it up.

XPS
07-04-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm also surprised Florida settled on two guys rated lower than 100th

Sometimes, thats the best ones..

GatorMan32
07-04-2007, 02:11 AM
I understand Dawg. I didn't take it in any bad way. Just giving some takes in response. We could still end up with 2 more 5 stars but Billy just the same would like to avoid anyone who is even considering one and done. And with Shipman, Billy knew all the guys he could potentially land and chose Shipman over them. Plus he is 65 on Scout so in factoring internet rankings it is all in who you ask.

OffThePorch
07-04-2007, 07:24 PM
i really like our two commits, hopefully we pick up a good pg to add to the mix, or Monroe.

OffThePorch
07-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I haven't any speculation whatsoever in my circles, but I can't promise that he isn't faltering. I see no reason to believe he is, but lots can happen outside of the public eye.

While Scotty is looking to blend with teammates new and old this summer, he is also looking ahead to his time in Starkville, Mississippi as a member of the Mississippi State Bulldogs.
"Whenever we have time to chat we always do," said Hopson of his relationship with the Bulldog staff. "Things are going just fine with Mississippi State. I am still solid in my commitment. Things have calmed down a good bit for me lately."
A pair of former Mid-State Ballerz, Reginald and Richard Delk, elected to leave the MSU program in the past few weeks. Scotty reports that the Delks' departure has had little to no effect on his feelings about joining the Bulldog basketball program.
"They have to focus on their situation," said Scotty. "I am focused on my situation and it hasn't changed. They have to do what they feel is best for them and I have to do what is best for me."

leland7
07-04-2007, 10:17 PM
i really like our two commits, hopefully we pick up a good pg to add to the mix, or Monroe. Mississippi State appears to be looking at several point guards( Guys like Dee Bost, Andre Corneilous, Frank Sullivan, Ect.). Also, Mississippi State is listed as one of Greg Monroe's schools of interest. Note....Latavious Williams from Starkville HS is very good(This kid can play).

BigBamaFan
07-05-2007, 01:08 AM
you forgot A.Steele at #46
I think Bama lands A.Steele and J.Green I think that's all the room we have this year.X.Gibson is another guy that Bama has a very good shot at.

statesboroblues
07-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Mississippi State appears to be looking at several point guards( Guys like Dee Bost, Andre Corneilous, Frank Sullivan, Ect.). Also, Mississippi State is listed as one of Greg Monroe's schools of interest. Note....Latavious Williams from Starkville HS is very good(This kid can play).

We are listed on Monroe's list but we are not actively recruiting him. Latavious Williams has had attitude problems and grades are a major concern...but he can play, like you said. Rumors keep flying that Dee Bost may be able to make it in this year... But I think he signs in the 08 class. He has said he would like the year at Prep school no matter what. Look for Stans to take his one scholarship hit(APR reasons) this year. Bailey looking to be a long shot even with his improved ACT score...still possible though.

"Eat a Peach"

Dawg
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I completely understand, Gator. One and done can hurt a program. And you're exactly right about opinions....who's to say any one person is right.

On Rivals, MSU is no longer listed on Greg Monroe's schools of interest - I certainly think that would be a huge longshot. I've heard the same about Bailey - it's looking like he won't qualify until January.

MSU159
07-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Well we need a PG bad so i hope we get one soon

Dawg
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Hansbrough will do well once he is given the opportunity, but MSU most definately needs someone to be a backup.

statesboroblues
07-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Well we need a PG bad so i hope we get one soon

True, true...really, it is just a matter of time. Especially since we have 2 of our 3 or 4 Scholarships already taken. With Stans being able to concentrate on a particular position...I think we will be OK at the PG position.

"Eat a Peach"