UK going after Mike Jones? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UK going after Mike Jones?

SCfan804
07-01-2007, 08:55 AM
June 30, 2007
Kentucky Interested In Jones
By Phil Kornblut

According to a source familiar with the situation, former USC basketball signee 6-6 Mike Jones is now being recruited by Kentucky and was scheduled to be on the UK campus this weekend. Jones, the former prep All America from Lower Richland, signed last year with Syracuse but transferred to USC in December. His scholarship was not renewed by USC and he enrolled this summer at Indian Hills Junior College in Iowa

Wow... this guys is just all over the place. Maybe he'll decide to go to class at UK? We were really anticipating having him next season, but thank God Mike Holmes has actually qualified when nobody thought he would.

kentubbybasketball
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
IMO, Kentucky doesn't need him and shouldn't go after him. Things didn't work out for Jones at Syracuse or South Carolina. I'm not sure Gillispie (relatively early in his time here) should go after this guy, when we could attract similar (if not better) talent from the 2008 class.

SCfan804
07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
IMO, Kentucky doesn't need him and shouldn't go after him. Things didn't work out for Jones at Syracuse or South Carolina. I'm not sure Gillispie (relatively early in his time here) should go after this guy, when we could attract similar (if not better) talent from the 2008 class.

Yeah it didn't really make any sense to me. The guy was obviously very good in high school, went to 'Cuse and transferred out after seeing minimal playing time and claiming homesickness. No biggie. So he gets home, and reportedly didn't attend a single class while at USC last semester. At that point you know you've got character issues.

Why would UK even entertain him with an offer when 1) He couldn't crack the lineup at Syracuse in a year they weren't very good and 2) Doesn't do well in school?

kentubbybasketball
07-01-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't know why Gillispie would be interested. Plus, Kentucky is in desperate need of guys who can play right now. by SEC rules if you transfer within the conference, don't you have to sit out 2 years?

Jones was a top 50 player though and he was Mr. Basketball. But, still.

GatorTD8to10
07-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Who?!

XPS
07-01-2007, 02:23 PM
If Billy G feels like giving the young man a second chance and also feels like he could help UK's team, thats good enough for me...

kentubbybasketball
07-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Who?!

I was waiting for somebody to say "Who?" :cheers:

I've gotta give you rep on that one.

SCfan804
07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I think the student population at SC was more excited about his name than the talents he would have brought.
http://blogs.sohh.com/media_check/archives/Mike-Jones%5b1%5d.jpg

joehogjoe
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
moved to the recruiting board where it should have been in the first place.