Post from a KU fan on a UK board... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Post from a KU fan on a UK board...

GR8NESS
06-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Gillespie's recent success is just catching some people off guard considering he was never known as a very good recruiter. Most of his teams were just 2-3 star players with a 4 every once in a while.

Either his enthusiasm at being in his dream job or being the topic of lots of national discussion seems to have given him a boost in an area I always kind of considered him lacking in. Conviencing quality players to give him a shot and not just projects.

I think a lot of his success is in getting kids to really visit early and selling the facilities and an impressive empty arena to kids with promises of immediate playing time on a depleted roster. Normally Bill doesn't have any major recruiting scores until Late Night when we bring in 10-15 kids and basically have our fill. Gillespie is definately going right at Self recruiting every prospect before we can even get them on campus.

Seems to be working, though our real need is in the post with this class, I and many others are interested to see how Bill responds.

Can you imagine how great of an X's and O's coach he his?:bow: :bow: :bow: to BCG.

GR8NESS
06-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Keep in mind that I don't use the term weakness lightly. I consider him a top 5 in game coach, in the top 5 in how he prepares his team for an opponent, and a top 5 coach in overall development of players. But being only top 25ish in recruiting, which is basically average since if you're out of the top 25 you're irrelevant.

He was normally good for one 5 star like Jordan or a highly rated 4 star in a class, but those weren't the players that got him to where he is today.

XPS
06-30-2007, 11:56 PM
He has had 4 straight top 25 classes, Billy G can evaluate talent...

GR8NESS
07-01-2007, 12:42 PM
He has had 4 straight top 25 classes, Billy G can evaluate talent...

At freaking UTEP for one of them!!!:cheers: