Wild about Billy [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Wild about Billy

KevinKat78
06-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Billy Gillispie hasn't won a game as Kentucky's basketball coach, but it didn't stop fans from giving him three standing ovations Monday night at the Newport Syndicate.

Gillispie broke through a paper sign and bounded on stage after being announced as the guest speaker at the 13th annual Meijer/Kicks for Kids Celebrity Golf Classic pairings party.

Founded by former Bengal Doug Pelfrey in 1995, Kicks for Kids provides area at-risk children with opportunities to pursue their dreams. The golf event is the biggest fund raiser for the charity, which has directed more than $1.35 million into youth enrichment.
Gillispie planned on having a question-and-answer session but ran out of time because of an impromptu bidding war.

He was troubled there weren't any Kentucky items in the event's silent auction, and offered up four single-game tickets from his own season tickets. At the end of the auction, he gave up eight total tickets to two different families who paid a combined $16,000.

But before he left for Lexington, he gave basketball fans a taste of what they wanted to hear.

"We've been going like crazy from day one. We're going to go like crazy until the end," Gillispie said. "And hopefully in the middle, we're going to cut some nets down."
Look guys, Billy is really a nice guy. Billy is really good in the community.:raz:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/SPT0104/706260374/1062/SPT

GR8NESS
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
gotta love this "media tour" Mitch, BCG, and Brooks are going on..I think they do it every summer, but still..LOL

kentubbybasketball
06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
This is typical excitement about a new coach. What's the news here? We're all excited about Gillispie being here (some of us more than others).

GR8NESS
06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
This is typical excitement about a new coach. What's the news here? We're all excited about Gillispie being here (some of us more than others).

The news is that he's going on a tour.
Really, it's quite simple- if you don't like it, don't post about it.

kentubbybasketball
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Brummett, why don't you stop jumping to conclusions before you boss me around. I didn't say I didn't like it. That's why I commented.

GR8NESS
06-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Brummett, why don't you stop jumping to conclusions before you boss me around. I didn't say I didn't like it. That's why I commented.

Why don't you stop baiting with such comments as "some of us more than others"?

GR8NESS
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
here's what someone AT the event had to say as a summary...

I went to the Kicks for Kids charity dinner tonight where Billy Gillispie was the keynote speaker. It was quite an honor to hear him speak in person. Basically, this is an event ran by former UK and Bengal kicker Doug Pelfrey and features a celebrity golf event - mostly Cincinnati-local celebs. Others there included Anthony Munoz, Jared Lorenzen, Art Still, and a bunch of other former NFL and UK players.

I don't really know where to start - I actually was part of a group that saw him speak four times. The first was a 1-on-1 interview with Tara Pachmayer (sp), a local sportscaster. It's an interview that'll be broadcast this weekend. It included your basic talking points (nothing special). Then, he went to a press conference with a bunch of local sportscasters. Again, it was a lot of general questions. There was one question specifically about playing in Cincinnati and if he was going to continue that tradition. Coach didn't know that UK played up here each season and said he doesn't have total control of the schedule. He said his goal is to create a schedule that makes the team ready for March. I took that to mean he doesn't want the toughest schedule in the nation each year.

Next, they asked specifically about playing UC or Xavier. He said he'd gladly play them if they came to Rupp. He then spoke about how he was close friends with Mick Cronin.

Next, they ushered him off to a meet and greet with about 15 fans. He spoke for 5-10 minutes (basic stuff) and then took Q&A. Someone asked a non-basketball related question. He said he hasn't bought a house yet and would live at the Campbell House full time if he didn't have to entertain. He said he loves it there and they've been great to him. He also mentioned he's only eaten at 4 restaurants in all of Lexington and hasn't decided where he's going to live. He said he really takes his time with those decisions and honestly doesn't even care about that stuff. He's pretty focused on basketball.

He mentioned the Jared Carter redshirt situation that was in the paper, the fact that he hasn't signed a contract (lawyers still finalizing details). He took a question from a guy who said it was disappointing that the two biggest needs on the team were injured (meaning Bradley and Jasper). Coach challenged him on that asking what he meant by the two biggest needs. The person asking the question clarified that those two really needed to improve. Coach's response was that everyone needed to improve. He spoke for a few minutes about their injuries and said he expects them both back next season.

He then spoke about the basketball camps going on and how he's not done with recruiting and said he would be adding 0-2 more players for this upcoming season. He also expected to finalize the staff within two weeks and expects to have the best staff in the country. He said he really wanted to be patient in hiring the staff.

kentubbybasketball
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Why don't you stop baiting with such comments as "some of us more than others"?

That's not baiting people. That's making an comment about the excitement level for and of Gillispie. The article is titled "Wild About Billy." Now, I'm thru discussing that, Brummett. So, do what you gotta do.

As I said, I'm excited about Gillispie being here. I like all of our coaches and am more lenient than anyone else. It's great to have a coach with visible excitement.