Gillispie considers fall trip for Cats [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Gillispie considers fall trip for Cats

XPS
06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Billy Gillispie's time with his new team is limited in the offseason. So the first-year UK coach is considering making up for lost time in the fall. Gillispie hasn't made up his mind, but he has considered taking his team on a trip in the fall, similar to the three-game tour of Canada U of L's squad took last fall.

"We're thinking about it, but I'm not sure if we got to the point where we thought it was necessary or if we'd even have time to do all the arrangements," Gillispie said. "We're looking over our academic calendar. I don't know if we'll do that this year, but I'm not saying we won't."

Gillispie never has taken a team on a preseason tour, but he said he's never been at a school that was eligible for such a trip when he was there. The NCAA allows one such trip every four years.

"Some people have differing philosophies on that," Gillispie said. "Some people think the season's too long already. I don't know if anyone's ever done any studies, but it does seem like in some situations those teams (that take fall trips) wear down. On the other hand, when you're (a coach) in a new situation, you get a great opportunity to get to know your players and let the players know your coaching style

UK in no rush to round out staff

It's been two months since Gillispie took over at UK, and vacancies remain on his first staff.

But Gillispie said even with a busy recruiting month on the horizon -- coaches do the bulk of their summer off-campus recruiting in July -- he won't rush into filling out his staff.

UK needs an assistant coach, plus a strength and conditioning coach to replace Scott Holsopple, who left to work with the Florida football program. For now, the football strength and conditioning staff is working with the men's basketball team.

Gillispie said he's talked with a number of coaches about his vacant assistant spot but that he's taking a careful approach to finding the right candidate.

Last week the Arizona Daily Star reported that Arizona assistant coach Josh Pastner had turned down an offer from Gillispie.

"I don't think (assistant hires) are ever so pressing that you should rush into them," he said. "It's a really, really, really, really critical hire. I think in this situation it's been important for me to be able to observe and listen and learn."

Gillispie said he's looking not only for a coach with a range of skills, but one who fits with the staff he's assembled.

"You may have an unbelievable assistant coach, but it may be like putting a square peg in a round hole, or whatever that saying is," he said. "They may be perfect somewhere else, but they may not be perfect here.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/SPORTS/706100631/1002/SPORTS

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 11:52 AM
UK needs an assistant coach, plus a strength and conditioning coach to replace Scott Holsopple, who left to work with the Florida football program.

Man, I'm glad the football S/C team is working with the basketball team...otherwise they'd probably be confusedly dry-humping excercise machines and falling off treadmills. :sarcasm:

XPS
06-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Man, I'm glad the football S/C team is working with the basketball team...otherwise they'd probably be confusedly dry-humping excercise machines and falling off treadmills. :sarcasm:

:rotf:

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 07:24 PM
:rotf: They might be doing a lot of that if they don't hire a good guy to train them all what to do in the weight room.:rotf:

deterp
06-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Maybe Billy should just take the kids camping for a "fall bonding experience". ;)

XPS
06-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Maybe Billy should just take the kids camping for a "fall bonding experience". ;)

Now theirs an idea..

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah! If they can't win games they will still LOVE each other!:rotf:

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 10:31 PM
"Maybe they should just have a good cry together and watch Brokeback Mountain"...thanks Jay Bilas..LOL

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Let's hope this helps them to jump higher and stroke the ball better as well as passing and rebounding.:cheers: