Cats, Cards to play basketball on Jan. 5 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Cats, Cards to play basketball on Jan. 5

XPS
06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- For just the third time in 25 meetings, the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville will play their annual basketball game in January.

The next renewal will be on Saturday, Jan. 5 in Rupp Arena, the latest-ever regular-season meeting between the Wildcats and Cardinals.

The move is being made at U of L's request, UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart said.

The Cards scheduled another game for Dec. 15, when UK had hoped to play U of L.

"They scheduled (a game) and told us they couldn't play (Dec. 15), and that's fine," Barnhart said. "If it's in January, it doesn't really matter to us."

U of L approached UK and CBS about moving the game, U of L spokesman Kenny Klein said.

"We wanted it in January, and I think CBS wanted it in January," Klein said. "I think (UK) originally wanted that other date, but they were fine about moving it. I don't recall there being any major issues with it."

The move will mark the third time since the series was revived in 1983 that the Cats and Cards have played in January, the first since the 2000-01 season.

It also will be the first time since 2000-01 -- and the seventh time overall -- that the Cards will be UK's final game before the start of Southeastern Conference play.

"I think you would probably rather play it at a different time than right before conference," first-year UK coach Billy Gillispie said. "We'll see how it goes. It'll be different, but I won't notice any difference."

Gillispie said the move was in motion by the time he was hired but that he didn't have an issue with the later game.

The past three seasons the UK-U of L game has been played on the third Saturday in December, and though UK preferred to keep it there, Barnhart said the shift wasn't a problem.

"I think our fans, TV and everyone had gotten used to it being around that time, and I think we like it there," Barnhart said. "But if (U of L) can't play on that day, then certainly we want to be accommodating."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070609/SPORTS02/706090546

I like this...

GR8NESS
06-09-2007, 05:00 PM
With our team being young, I like it too.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Billy Gillispie starts out with a loss to Louisville in his first season just as Tubby and Pitino did IMO. Louisville can win a national title next year IMO.

XPS
06-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Barring any injuries UL will be tough next year...

GR8NESS
06-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Injuries have been a huge problem for them ever since Pitino got there- I don't really know why either. Sometimes it just happens like that, but it makes you wonder if maybe he's working them too hard or whatever.

XPS
06-09-2007, 09:14 PM
but it makes you wonder if maybe he's working them too hard or whatever

Good point...

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Barring any injuries UL will be tough next year...

Yeah, they have a great player starting at each position. It's a model of how to build a team... it really is.

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 07:11 PM
With our team being young, I like it too.
Yeah this might help UK to be ready for the game. Is it in Louisville or Rupp this year?:cheers:

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 07:12 PM
It's at Rupp...

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 07:21 PM
:cheers: This is going to be a hard game for the CARDS anyway. UK could pull this one out. The cards will have a good team but CBC will have the players ready for UK to play hard. :clap:

XPS
06-10-2007, 08:00 PM
:cheers: This is going to be a hard game for the CARDS anyway. UK could pull this one out. The cards will have a good team but CBC will have the players ready for UK to play hard. :clap:

:cheers:

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Don't underestimate the Rupp factor.

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Don't underestimate the Rupp factor.
Do you mean that you don't understand why playing in Rupp gives UK more of an advantage against UofL?
If so, 24,000 UK fans against a Rival like UofL causes some different pressure on a visiting team. It does help a lot.

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm saying it'll help..you didn't really mention it in your post.

XPS
06-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm saying it'll help..you didn't really mention it in your post.

It will help and i haven't felt like UK has had that home court advantage like they used to, but i expect that to change with Billy G at the helm...

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 10:44 PM
:cheers: He has already won his last 2 games at rupp before he lost his next one somewhere else. I hope he really loves winning at home enough to fight for it. :rotf: I would love to see another 122 game home winning streak at UK.:rotf: CBC could do that before he retires at UK.:clap:

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=KevinKat78;438722]:cheers: He has already won his last 2 games at rupp before he lost his next one somewhere else.QUOTE]

He didn't even have the home-crowd advantage either..LOL..he did have on a blue tie! :parrot: (I've just always wanted to use that)

KevinKat78
06-11-2007, 11:26 AM
:rotf: It's funny! I watched those games because he was already listed as a strong candidate to replace Tubby. I still wasn't sure Tubby was going to leave and that I wanted CBC at UK. It was funny how well things worked out.:clap:

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
What if the other team is ready to play hard (which they will be)?

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
:rotf: It's funny! I watched those games because he was already listed as a strong candidate to replace Tubby. I still wasn't sure Tubby was going to leave and that I wanted CBC at UK. It was funny how well things worked out.:clap:

Was Tubby already out at that time? I don't think he was, I think that you mean the Sweet 16 game...but I can remember watching an aTm game sometime in February and thinking "man, this Gillespie (how I thought it was spelled at the time) can coach....I'd like him as our next coach"

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
That'll soon change when he doesn't live up to your standards, because nobody ever will again. As Pitino would say, "Adolph Rupp ain't walking thru that door."

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Guys its nice to have a new energetic coach like Billy G and we have this great board to come to and talk about it, of course be very weary of the fake UK fan that comes here and try to spoil are happiness over Billy G, a little hint is right in front for everyone to see, just look at the closed threads and you will find the imposter thats posing to be a UK fan...

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
That's quite interesting. Now you see how I felt when I tried to enjoy UK basketball while Tubby was here and everybody was always raining on my parade. Consider yourself educated on how that feels.

And, if you want to question my support of UK go right ahead. I'm not gonna get my feelings hurt by that like other people do. I know what team(s) I support.

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Once again folks, I don't want to have to lock MORE threads because they disinigrate into pissing matches about that other coach who used to be at Kentucky and because we're accusing each other of not being UK fans.

DO NOT reply to this post questioning why I would lock it, or I'll drill you with an infraction. Talk about UK/UL this year or just leave this thread.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
So, Kentucky plays Louisville on January 5. Big news story there.

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Considering UK and UL played in december the last three years, yes it is...

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Whatever you say XPS. I could careless when we play them, as long as we play.

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 01:36 PM
we've won every way possible vs. UL the past couple of years....blowout, low scoring, high scoring, close games...Sparks..Meeks....Crawford's posterization of Padgett..

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Whatever you say XPS. I could careless when we play them, as long as we play.

Then why post in this thread?

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:41 PM
we've won every way possible vs. UL the past couple of years....blowout, low scoring, high scoring, close games...Sparks..Meeks....Crawford's posterization of Padgett..

Very surprised Pitino hasn't took UL to that level that i expected...

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Very surprised Pitino hasn't took UL to that level that i expected...

I am too, but on the other hand I can see why he hasn't. IMO, he just doesn't look to have the same drive at UL that he does at UK, although they do look to be tough this year.

Their schedule is a lot tougher next year than the cupcake schedule they've had the past several years.

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Their schedule is a lot tougher next year than the cupcake schedule they've had the past several years.

About time. Pitino is known for the cupcake games...

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
he just doesn't look to have the same drive at UL that he does

I really believe that Pitino is only half the coach he once was...

Storm
06-11-2007, 02:34 PM

I'm curious, why you post like 4 or 5 times before bringing this up. The thread was moving along smoothly until this post. So let's keep the subliminal insults to zero.

KevinKat78
06-11-2007, 04:58 PM
he just doesn't look to have the same drive at UL that he does

I really believe that Pitino is only half the coach he once was...

He's got that disorder that most of the coaches have. He already has a championship ring on his finger. Now he can lay back and ride it into retirement. That's what happens to coaches after they win one or 2 Championships. I think all the universties would be better to fire their coaches after they win it all. That way the new coach will try to win it ALL instead of laying on his ass from now on.:nono:

kentubbybasketball
06-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm curious, why you post like 4 or 5 times before bringing this up. The thread was moving along smoothly until this post. So let's keep the subliminal insults to zero.

My post is about the game on January 5, which is what Brummett wanted the posts to be about. So, if there's an issue take it up with him. Interesting people are talking about Pitino's lack of fire in a thread that's about the game, not his fire. I assume you reprimanded them too.

Anyway, this is always a good test for our team, and it'll be no different on January 5. Pushing the game back helps Gillispie some, but you hate to take a bad loss here, because it's teh game before the SEC starts and you hate to go in demoralized.