African American Point of Views Surrounding Kentucky [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : African American Point of Views Surrounding Kentucky

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Race is still a big issue in Kentucky, even if some white people don't get it.

http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/91918.html

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
At least with Gillispie people won't be able to not like him because of his color. That's a fortunate thing for him.

REBEL5 AC
06-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Some white people?

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Currrent African-American basketball players on the university of kentucky basketball roster:

Jodie Meeks
Ramel Bradley
Joe Crawford
Alex Legion
Patrick Patterson
Perry Stevenson
Mike Williams
A.J. Stewart

Patrick Patterson is one of the most celebrated recruits in our history. I don't see people calling for him to be removed from the team because he's black.
Quite the opposite in fact. People are in love with the kid, along with fellow black recruit Alex Legion.

To suggest that race is the factor people wanted Tubby gone is because of race, is well, asinine. I would estimate that 99% of us who wanted Tubby out as head coach of the University of Kentucky is because of the simple fact that his job performance was substandard. Second round exits in three of four years. I know black people that wanted Tubby gone!! What, are they like, racist against their own race or something?

Go to the think tank, and look for a poll entitled "Who do you want to win the 2008 election?", or something along those lines. Go look and see who voted for Barack Obama.

"The nation looks at us," he said. "And I think, right now as a state, we have fulfilled the stereotype again."

I have not read a serious article by a nationally respected writer that has suggested that Kentucky fans ran tubby out of town just because he was black. The fact is that it doesn't matter to most of the uk fans.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Brummet, you're a 16 year old kid or however old you are, so you don't understand, there's a difference being just another player (like the ones you listed) and being the boss (like Tubby was).

Honestly, you raise a point I've thought of before. How can some people be so predjudice when it comes to the headman, yet support black players (maybe, because generally speaking black players are better).

And, Brummett, as for your estimate, in your right mind, is a person honestly gonna say they wanted Tubby out for his race, even if that is the reason... the world doesn't work that way.

I have talked to a person that said they hated that Tubby didn't recruit or start white players usually as a matter of fact. I'm glad Tubby and Gillispie see beyond color, as I try to do.

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Brummet, you're a 16 year old kid or however old you are, so you don't understand, there's a difference being just another player (like the ones you listed) and being the boss (like Tubby was).

I can't understand because I'm 16?
Fine, you can't truly understand this because you're black.

dawgstud
06-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Honestly, you raise a point I've thought of before. How can some people be so predjudice when it comes to the headman, yet support black players (maybe, because generally speaking black players are better).

Now that's an easy one. Racist whites don't mind the players being black as long as it's a white man telling them, "jump monkey jump." Once the massa is of color it doesn't make sense anymore so they villify him at every opportunity. See Tubby.

REBEL5 AC
06-08-2007, 03:15 PM

hmmm....

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Now that's an easy one. Racist whites don't mind the players being black as long as it's a white man telling them, "jump monkey jump." Once the massa is of color it doesn't make sense anymore so they villify him at every opportunity. See Tubby.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. There's a big difference when it's a black man telling them what to do. I don't expect Brummett (a 16 year old in Kentucky) to fully understand that, but the ratio of black head coaches, CEOs and any other high position job is pretty low.

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:16 PM
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. There's a big difference when it's a black man telling them what to do. I don't expect Brummett (a 16 year old in Kentucky) to fully understand that, but the ratio of black head coaches, CEOs and any other high position job is pretty low.

And the ratio of black people to white people is pretty low!

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:17 PM

It seems like you're a pretty sheltered person, if you want to argue that racism doesn't exist in Kentucky and even in the basketball program due to some ruthless fans. If you admit that, then, yeah, you don't understand.

And, you're right. I am black. And, I'm proud of that. But, you see the difference is I don't shun white people from liking me. I've got lots of white friends.

dawgstud
And the ratio of black people to white people is pretty low!

About 13% of the population. Do they fill 13% of all big roles in society?

REBEL5 AC
Let's make you happy. Give every job in college basketball to african-americans.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
About 13% of the population. Do they fill 13% of all big roles in society?

Exactly. Thanks, stubby.

GR8NESS
It seems like you're a pretty sheltered person, if you want to argue that racism doesn't exist in Kentucky and even in the basketball program due to some ruthless fans. If you admit that, then, yeah, you don't understand.

And, you're right. I am black. And, I'm proud of that. But, you see the difference is I don't shun white people from liking me. I've got lots of white friends.

Show me where I said that racism DOESN'T exist in Kentucky, or in the fans? I KNOW it exists, but your post implies that it's a huge decision for the men running the program, and the majority of fans, which is SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

kentubbybasketball
Let's make you happy. Give every job in college basketball to african-americans.

Actually, I'm quite happy with Billy Gillispie, and I'm not really a big proponent of affirmative action either.

dawgstud
06-08-2007, 03:20 PM

LOL......I've never heard that line from a black dude. Good to see it goes both ways. I can understand being proud of your ancestors, but not your color. It was just luck of the draw. It isn't an accomplishment. I could've just as easily been born Asian as I was European-American.

REBEL5 AC
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
What I am saying is that some (see, some) african-americans want to blame whites for everything, and don't tell me that isn't true. I know there's racism in alot of things, especially college football and basketball.

kentubbybasketball
Show me where I said that racism DOESN'T exist in Kentucky, or in the fans? I KNOW it exists, but your post implies that it's a huge decision for the men running the program, and the majority of fans, which is SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

I'm not sure where I said anything about a "majority." My first post uses the word "some," and I said nothing about UK's administration or whatever, I said, "racism exists in Kentucky and even in the basketball program due to some ruthless fans."

So show me where I said anything about the majority, and I'll better be able t o answer your question.

dawgstud
What I am saying is that some (see, some) african-americans want to blame whites for everything.

And vice versa...

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
LOL......I've never heard that line from a black dude. Good to see it goes both ways. I can understand being proud of your ancestors, but not your color. It was just luck of the draw. It isn't an accomplishment. I could've just as easily been born Asian as I was European-American.

Yeah, my college is about 5% black. I've got to have white friends, but even back in high school when it was closer to 50-50 I've always related with white people more (even though I'd only date a black woman, no offense).

REBEL5 AC
And vice versa...

I don't blame blacks for anything. I know that whites get breaks, and this is true, because of their skin color.

kentubbybasketball
What I am saying is that some (see, some) african-americans want to blame whites for everything, and don't tell me that isn't true. I know there's racism in alot of things, especially college football and basketball.

Has anybody really argued that isn't true?

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure where I said anything about a "majority." My first post uses the word "some," and I said nothing about UK's administration or whatever, I said, "racism exists in Kentucky and even in the basketball program due to some ruthless fans."

So show me where I said anything about the majority, and I'll better be able t o answer your question.

Show me where I said you said a majority.
Your post IMPLIES it with the TONE in which it is written, which is fairly easy to get a read on.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
You said, it implies "majority," show once again show me where I could have implied that if I said "some." That's the question, Brummett.

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
You said, it implies "majority," show once again show me where I could have implied that if I said "some." That's the question, Brummett.

The implication comes from the fact that you started the thread AFTER we've been debating racism in the other thread, and the fact that the article mentioned brings UP that fact.

REBEL5 AC
06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
LOL, this thread has gotten out of hand REAL quick.

deterp
OK, let's cool it down here people.

kentubbybasketball
Maybe you should stop reading stuff into people's comments and then there'd be no implications. Just take people's comments for what they are.

Brummett, I feel like I deserve a bit more respect than what you've shown me, because I might not be the smartest person in the world, but I know everybody is not a racist (or even the majority of the world isn't).

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
but I know everybody is a racist

That had BETTER be a typo.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:28 PM
It was a typo and I changed it, and if it wasn't there's really nothing you could do about it, because it's still a person's opinion, which people are entitled to.

GR8NESS
06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure not everyone is a racist. But this thread has run its' course for me.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Me too. All I wanted to do was link an article tied to UK.

Wronghorns
06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/medtech12190/jesse.jpg

Dunno...somehow seemed appropriate.

I do love some pie. Anyone want some pie? Pumpkin or pecan preferably.

REBEL5 AC
06-08-2007, 04:04 PM
:rotf:

XPS
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM

What a surprise seeing you here:blah:

XPS
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
At least with Gillispie people won't be able to not like him because of his color. That's a fortunate thing for him.

What in the hell does this have to with UK basketball?

XPS
06-08-2007, 04:49 PM

The same could be said that White coaches are better...

dawgstud
06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
What a surprise seeing you here:blah:

You disagree that is the case with RACIST WHITES? Obviously you don't fall into this category, XPS. You are a man of character and that is fairly obvious.

XPS
06-08-2007, 04:57 PM
You disagree that is the case with RACIST WHITES? Obviously you don't fall into this category, XPS. You are a man of character and that is fairly obvious.

Racist people make me sick. People are people and all are human beings, I'm a huge Ali fan and i have cried many times watching the treatment he received after winning the gold metal..

I support people and all kinds, i used to live right beside a young adopted chinese boy who had mental problems and that was 5 years ago and till this day i still go pick him up and take him fishing atleast once a week.

I just hope that ever color knows that not everyone is racist and everyone is loved by god...

dawgstud
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Racist people make me sick. People are people and all are human beings, I'm a huge Ali fan and i have cried many times watching the treatment he received after winning the gold metal..

I support people and all kinds, i used to live right beside a young adopted chinese boy who had mental problems and that was 5 years ago and till this day i still go pick him up and take him fishing atleast once a week.

I just hope that ever color knows that not everyone is racist and everyone is loved by god...

Well said.

georgiaguy31015
06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Sure Racism is still an issue at Kentucky just like it is everywhere else but only because people allow it to still be an issue.

KevinKat78
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm very sick of the issue. What has happened at Kentucky with Tubby had nothing to do with Race. Tubby had pressure on him because he was losing more games a year on average than any coach since 1930. I admit there are racist fans that didn't like Tubby but that's not what caused the pressure on him and his running off. There is Racism in all races, colors, and creeds. This does not mean that the majority of people are racist nor does it mean it's alright for any one to display their racism. I think the fact that some people believe this happened because of Race is a form of Racism in it's self.

XPS
06-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Sure Racism is still an issue at Kentucky just like it is everywhere else but only because people allow it to still be an issue.

Exactly..

Just Some Hog Dude
06-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, my college is about 5% black. I've got to have white friends, but even back in high school when it was closer to 50-50 I've always related with white people more (even though I'd only date a black woman, no offense).

What you got against white sisters?

dawgstud
06-08-2007, 10:34 PM
What you got against white sisters?

The same thing JHJ has against brunettes. They just aren't his type. Don't read too much into it.

Now if he gets on here and says that he believe interracial dating is a sin, then yeah I'll call him a hypocrite with you. :p

Storm
06-08-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't blame blacks for anything. I know that whites get breaks, and this is true, because of their skin color.

do you really think blacks don't get breaks because of their skin color? How many white people get turned down for a job these days because a company has to "diversify" and higher a less qualified minority?.....it happens everyday.

KevinKat78
06-09-2007, 11:55 AM
:rotf: I got turned down several times for jobs and was told it was just because they wanted to hire a woman. I mean really good jobs to.:rotf:

georgiaguy31015
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
do you really think blacks don't get breaks because of their skin color? How many white people get turned down for a job these days because a company has to "diversify" and higher a less qualified minority?.....it happens everyday.

Sure it happens everyday just like it happens between men and women it sucks and it ain't fair but then again life ain't fair.

Storm
06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
yeah, but who isn't it fair to? which would you want, knowing you got a job because you were the best candidate, or getting a job because you were the only black guy?......that's what has always bothered me about those situations. How can somebody walk away from that feeling good about being picked for a job they don't deserve.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
:rotf: I got turned down several times for jobs and was told it was just because they wanted to hire a woman. I mean really good jobs to.:rotf:

Then you should've sued them. That is illegal.

georgiaguy31015
06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah, but who isn't it fair to? which would you want, knowing you got a job because you were the best candidate, or getting a job because you were the only black guy?......that's what has always bothered me about those situations. How can somebody walk away from that feeling good about being picked for a job they don't deserve.

Good point and to be honest with you I'm not sure most in our society at this point care. I think all they care about is the end result and that means they got the job everything else they put out of their mind. That's just my opinion though.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM

That isn't how affirmative action is SUPPOSED to work. It is only to go into effect when you have 2 identical candidates. Not when one is inferior to the other.

georgiaguy31015
06-09-2007, 12:09 PM
That isn't how affirmative action is SUPPOSED to work. It is only to go into effect when you have 2 identical candidates. Not when one is inferior to the other.

True but I don't think he was talking about affirmative action. I think what he was saying was that some companies have quotas on black and white and men and women and they would hire someone less qualified because of their race or sex just to fill the quota.

Storm
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
"quotas" is the perfect word GG.........most companies are so scared of being sued for not having enought minorities on the payroll, lot's of more qualified people are left blowing in the wind.

georgiaguy31015
06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
"quotas" is the perfect word GG.........most companies are so scared of being sued for not having enought minorities on the payroll, lot's of more qualified people are left blowing in the wind.

Thanks, I strike oil mentally sometimes but they are few and far between lol.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 02:44 PM

The same could be said that White coaches are better...

XPS, wake up and smell the coffee... nobody has denied that.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I admit there are racist fans that didn't like Tubby.

Okay, so why are you arguing then. That was the point the guy in the article made.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 02:48 PM
The same thing JHJ has against brunettes. They just aren't his type. Don't read too much into it.

Now if he gets on here and says that he believe interracial dating is a sin, then yeah I'll call him a hypocrite with you. :p

And, I'd never say that. Of my mom's 8 siblings, 7 have biracial kids. I have nothing wrong with white people (sometimes I wonder if it's not the same the other way around).

The silver lining in all of this is that Tubby says he didn't think racism was too big an issue at Kentucky, which is what I've said all along, but it was still an issue. Then, people like gguy say things like racism is only an issue because make it out to be... duh! That's the issue we're facing now.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM

Exactly, and Storm, you're leaving out other things IMO too. Yeah, there is affirmative action, but it comes into play when the black person still has credentials... the black person still has to have a degree and be qualified. Don't sell blacks short on that.

Storm
06-09-2007, 03:03 PM
oh sure, they have to have the credentials to get in the door, i'm not saying its some crackhead applying for CEO or anything, but when it comes down to it, most companies will take a black guy with a 2.75 GPA over the white guy with a 3.75 GPA in order to "diversify" the company. and that's what i have a problem with.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Tit for tat IMO. White people have gotten ahead in the past too.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 03:44 PM
most companies will take a black guy with a 2.75 GPA over the white guy with a 3.75 GPA in order to "diversify" the company. and that's what i have a problem with.

I could not disagree more.

If you could let me choose my race and gender applying for a job in a company I would choose to be a white male. That's who I feel would have the best shot at getting the job. Guess I'm just nuts thinking like that.

Storm
06-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't know what to tell you, most will jump at the chance to hire a person with the best credentials, but most will also lower the standards in order to diversify the employees.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't know what to tell you, most will jump at the chance to hire a person with the best credentials, but most will also lower the standards in order to diversify the employees.

I agree some will, but no way do I believe MOST will. Just sayin'.

Storm
06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
alright, maybe MOST is over the top. but quite a few......

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
alright, maybe MOST is over the top. but quite a few......

Progress. It's what the Civil Rights movement is all about. ;)

Storm
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
only 100 more years to go.......LOL

XPS
06-09-2007, 04:18 PM
XPS, wake up and smell the coffee... nobody has denied that.

kentubby I'm a happy person, I don't wake up ever morning thinking do black or white people hate me or do white or black people get away with this or that, Life's to short to worry about this stuff..

You make it seem like Kentucky is the only state that has racist issues...

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 06:50 PM
XPS, I can only talk about this state, because this where I am.

deterp
06-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, I'm assuming the original point of this thread was the viewpoint of a Black person in regard to the UK basketball program and, it that's the whole point of the thread, then I suggest you folks get back to the subject matter at hand and leave the "everyday world" to another thread.

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Okay, so why are you arguing then. That was the point the guy in the article made.
Because just because their are racist out there doesn't mean that they caused the problem. The problem was caused by bad work. If Tubby worked hard, recruited good players rather than projects. If he won enough ball games and went to final 4s he wouldn't have had the pressure to leave UK. It had nothing to do with his color. Tubby being given the opportunity to coach at UK also had nothing to do with his color either. Race has only come up by people that loved Tubby more than they did UK basketball. Tubby should have worked harder to have a great team year in and year out to keep his job. He should have known that to do shotty work would do him in. He won his championship and lost interest in ever doing it again. Any man should know to be coach and to stay coach at UK he would have to maintane a very excelent team almost every year. A university like UK cannot be held back just because of a coaches color. Tubby had to go and he knew that. Tubby did the right thing payoff or not. Many people do feel that Tubby was paid off to leave. That means he made $5,000,000.00 Plus the amount of the payoff. I think Tubby did very well for himself and no one should feel he was mistreated. You can treat me very bad if you GIVE me this much money.:blah:

boxvic
06-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Everybody getting their panties all tied up in a wad. The truth is, you are all wrong and you all lose. That is just the way it is when you deal with an issue like race, because in modern America it shouldn't be an issue at all.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Everybody getting their panties all tied up in a wad. The truth is, you are all wrong and you all lose. That is just the way it is when you deal with an issue like race, because in modern America it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Exactly. It's a shame that it's still an issue. It's a shame that Tubby says he dealt with some of that crap early on in his career at Kentucky.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Exactly. It's a shame that it's still an issue. It's a shame that Tubby says he dealt with some of that crap early on in his career at Kentucky.

Tubby's not the only one that's had to ednure that and like I said it's crap but unfortunately some people won't let the issue go.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Tubby's not the only one that's had to ednure that and like I said it's crap but unfortunately some people won't let the issue go.

Not sure of the relevance of that point. yeah, other people deal with racism, but as deterp said, we're talking about Tubby's situation right now... not everybody else.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Not sure of the relevance of that point. yeah, other people deal with racism, but as deterp said, we're talking about Tubby's situation right now... not everybody else.

I had two points. My frist was that Tubby's not the only person to deal with that crap and my second was that one of the reasons he has had to deal with that crap is because people keep on and on bringing up about race. If people would shut up about it it would be a non issue.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:28 PM
People aren't gonna shut up, until the crap stops. It's quite simple.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
People aren't gonna shut up, until the crap stops. It's quite simple.

Well then this crap will go on until the end of time. Someone has to take some initiative but nobody wants to do that because race is a hot topic and gets you in the papers and gets you money and all of that publicity and some use it as an excuse.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
It's the price you pay for what you want. People wanted Tubby gone and they were ignorant, stupid, or both to think this wasn't gonna be one of the consequences. I can't wait till Tubby turns it up at Minnesota, and even then UK fans are really gonna get it for letting him go.

I'll sleep at night, knowing I wasn't prejudice.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2007, 03:33 PM
It's the price you pay for what you want. People wanted Tubby gone and they were ignorant, stupid, or both to think this wasn't gonna be one of the consequences. I can't wait till Tubby turns it up at Minnesota, and even then UK fans are really gonna get it for letting him go.

I don't think all of those that wanted him gone wanted it because he was black. Some I'm sure did because some people are stupid like that but I would be willing to bet my life that not all of them wanted him gone because of the color of his skin. As for Tubby and Kentucky, it all depends on what Billy G. does at Kentucky if he does a better job than Tubby then I'm almost sure that most of the UK fans won't worry about Tubby.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
gguy, you missed my points. Of course, everyone that wanted Tubby gone wasn't racist (XPS is a fine example). But, those people were stupid if they didn't think wanting him gone was going to bring up racial issues. Let's be realistic.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
gguy, you missed my points. Of course, everyone that wanted Tubby gone wasn't racist (XPS is a fine example). But, those people were stupid if they didn't think wanting him gone was going to bring up racial issues. Let's be realistic.

Only by the select few that brought up race. After Tubby left the first time I heard about the race card being brought up was on here and well by you to be honest.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:43 PM
gguy, you spend 29 hours a day on this board, and I'm the most vocal UK fan here. Add it up and of course you'd hear it from me first. The race issue was brought up by the media first.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2007, 03:48 PM
gguy, you spend 29 hours a day on this board, and I'm the most vocal UK fan here. Add it up and of course you'd hear it from me first. The race issue was brought up by the media first.

There are only 24 hours in a day and I'm not on here as much as you think but I never ever heard the media bring that up.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:53 PM
gguy, it was a joke. I went to say 29, because you're here all the time. I wonder if you even take bathroom breaks. LOL.

Anyway, go look at some archived articles and you'll see people were bringing the up the race issue before he decided to go the greener pastures of Minnesota.

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 04:44 PM

You are right that everyone should have known that race would be brought up. We all knew that. (True)

Tubby left on his on. He wasn't fired. Weather Tubby was bought out or not we will never know. He was paid $5,000,000.00 this year by UK while he looked for another job. He did lose 25 games in the past 2 years. He did finish with the worse class of basketball players (Srs.) to ever attend UK. Is it justice to blame Race on Tubby's problems at UK? (NO)

Is Tubby going to do well in Minnesota? (Probably not)

Did the UK fans or UK let Tubby go! (No he left on his on. He was looking for another job as early as Decenber 2006.)

Is it just for the Press or anyone to blame the fans for what happened with Tubby? (NO)

Really Tubby has done very well in all this. He has kept a job. He got to decide what he did. He got a boat load of money. Why do people feel he was mistreated? Tubby made out like a bandit here. It's again up to Tubby to work hard to do what he has to do to keep his job. This time if he works very hard he might look great winning games and winning the big ten or more. If Tubby decides again that his one championship is enough to live on Then he will have trouble again but not like at UK because he isn't at the king of basketball any longer.:clap:

XPS
06-10-2007, 06:26 PM
People wanted Tubby gone and they were ignorant, stupid

Call me all of the above then, because i did want Tubby gone because he was underachieving...

XPS
06-10-2007, 06:29 PM
consequences

Like what?

I can't wait till Tubby turns it up at Minnesota, and even then UK fans are really gonna get it for letting him go.

This will NEVER happen in my opinion, Tubby has never took over a program that is in such a bad shape as Minn is in and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is fired in 5 years...

GR8NESS
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I doubt he'll be fired, Minnesota hasn't been much in basketball in a long time.

XPS
06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I doubt he'll be fired, Minnesota hasn't been much in basketball in a long time.

You could be right. but for those people thinking he will have Minn winning the conference and have Minn a top 25 team is setting their self up for major disappointment...

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 07:08 PM
No Tubby will be a good person and keep the program clean and there will be no trouble. They wont win anything but no trouble either. Now if he can keep his assistants from doing anything silly might be another question since he's hired a bunch of clowns.:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:38 PM
People wanted Tubby gone and they were ignorant, stupid

Call me all of the above then...

I already did.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
consequences

Like what?

I can't wait till Tubby turns it up at Minnesota, and even then UK fans are really gonna get it for letting him go.

This will NEVER happen in my opinion, Tubby has never took over a program that is in such a bad shape as Minn is in and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is fired in 5 years...

That's funny. The first two jobs he ever took he replaced a coach that was fired. Get off your high horse, you're looking stupid with unsupported comments.

Wronghorns
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Yup. I have a feeling he'll be there for a while...long enough for their arena to be renamed Smith Fieldhouse.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Yup. I have a feeling he'll be there for a while...long enough for their arena to be renamed Smith Fieldhouse.

Minnesota's AD sold Tubby Smith on an idea similar to that, telling him at this stage of his career he needs to be appreciated. At Kentucky, Tubby found out (as Gillispie may soon enough) that people don't appreciate 20 win seasons and SEC championships with at least one NCAAT win.

Those have been things that Tubby has done even before he was at Kentucky, and Tubby will continue to do them after his initial year or two of rebuilding at Minnesota.

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
No Tubby will be a good person and keep the program clean and there will be no trouble. They wont win anything but no trouble either. Now if he can keep his assistants from doing anything silly might be another question since he's hired a bunch of clowns.:rotf:

LOL, he hired Saul...LOL...that may have been a large reason for his departure from UK...we have an anti-nepotism rule...

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Just as plenty of other coaches have their sons on their staffs. Pitino, Bobby Knight, Kelvin Sampson, Eddie Sutton and Keno Davis did. But, of course you know more than they do Brummett (remember you're only a message board "know it all." These are accomplished coaches).

Wronghorns
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Just as plenty of other coaches have their sons on their staffs. Pitino, Bobby Knight, Kelvin Sampson, Eddie Sutton and Keno Davis did. But, of course you know more than they do Brummett (remember you're only a message board "know it all." These are accomplished coaches).

Probably more of a trust issue with those coaches. They trust their own sons more than other fellow coaches that aren't relatives.

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
That's funny. The first two jobs he ever took he replaced a coach that was fired. Get off your high horse, you're looking stupid with unsupported comments.

Ga and Tulsa both were loaded with talent, Minn is NOT and please point out to me the last time Tubby took over a program that only won 9 games?

Your obsession with Tubby is making you look very stupid..

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Probably more of a trust issue with those coaches. They trust their own sons more than other fellow coaches that aren't relatives.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

Wronghorns
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
No doubt about it, Tubby will win in Minnesota. Maybe not right off the bat, but eventually. His name will draw recruits. Minnesota has no other large colleges. The only thing to see now is how well he can compete in an ultra tough conference. Will he be able to draw good enough players well enough and consistently to realistically compete for a Big 10 title?

Dunno.

One thing's for sure, though. Minnesota will have more than 9 wins perennially. Tubby's usually good for at least 15 automatically.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Ga and Tulsa both were loaded with talent, Minn is NOT and please point out to me the last time Tubby took over a program that only won 9 games?

Your obsession with Tubby is making you look very stupid..

I don't know how many games Tulsa and Georgia won the year before Tubby did. The point still remains JD Barnett and Hugh Durham were fired. I know that for a fact and that is what I have based my opinion on, just as Dan Monson was fired at Minnesota. I'm sorry if that's not good enough for you, but I'm not trying to formulate your opinion but my own and I'll use my own barometer to do such.

And, right now, I'm obsessed with Billy Gillispie, whom I've defended more than any of your other so called UK fans.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
No doubt about it, Tubby will win in Minnesota. Maybe not right off the bat, but eventually. His name will draw recruits. Minnesota has no other large colleges. The only thing to see now is how well he can compete in an ultra tough conference. Will he be able to draw good enough players well enough and consistently to realistically compete for a Big 10 title?

Dunno.

One thing's for sure, though. Minnesota will have more than 9 wins perennially. Tubby's usually good for at least 15 automatically.

Yeah, the worse Tubby has done was 15 in his second year at Tulsa (15-14). Right now the big thing for the U is that getting Tubby is a coup for name recognition and then he knows how to coach once his name gets the players. He'll do an excellent job at Minnesota, in what will be a rugged conference (it'll be the best confernece for basketball that Tubby has been in).

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
And, right now, I'm obsessed with Billy Gillispie, whom I've defended more than any of your other so called UK fans.

You call us "not UK fans".

That's just pathetic, and if that's what this thread is going to be reduced to with baiting such as that, then I'm locking it.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Lock if you have to Brummett. I'm entitled to my opinion and I'll continue to share. And, I said "so called UK fans." We all CALL ourselves UK fans.

And, it's equally pathetic to lock every thread when you're overwhelmed bc you can't debate with anything to prove a point.

Do what you want, you're the "policeman." And, now, if you don't lock this thread, I'll get back to discussing Tubby as I was doing with Wronghorns.

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Lock if you have to Brummett. I'm entitled to my opinion and I'll continue to share. And, I said "so called UK fans." We all CALL ourselves UK fans.

And, it's equally pathetic to lock every thread when you're overwhelmed bc you can't debate with anything to prove a point.

I'm not locking threads because I can't debate the points, I'm locking threads because every time I log on I have about 10 PMs from various people complaining about them because of baiting and whatever.

"So called UK fans"...you know exactly what you meant by that, and I do too. Don't try to hide it, we all know how you feel.

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
And, right now, I'm obsessed with Billy Gillispie, whom I've defended more than any of your other so called UK fans

That's a load of BS right there, have you noticed how many threads have been closed because of you? You are the#1 baiter on this UK forum kentubby, hijacking threads and everytime we have something positive to say about Billy G you come in with your BS and ruin the entire thread...

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
"So called UK fans"...you know exactly what you meant by that, and I do too. Don't try to hide it, we all know how you feel.

Alright, Einstein since you know what I meant, what's the deal. Why question what I meant, if you already know.

GR8NESS
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Obviously you guys can't follow the lead.
Thread locked.