This is One of the SEC's Biggest Up and Comers [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : This is One of the SEC's Biggest Up and Comers

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Jodie Meeks. He's really impressive. Read the article from the Atlanta paper.

This is a guy that was on 9 of the 12 SEC schools recruiting wishlist, so it's exciting to not have to play against him.

I just don't think he gets the kind of credit around the SEC as he really deserves.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2007/06/08/gwxmeeks0608.html

leland7
06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Meeks is good(talented). He really started to step up for Kentucky.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, our guard depth is crazy right now, with Porter, Meeks, Jasper, Legion, Crawford, and Bradley. IMO, Jodie Meeks is the one that stands out the most, even though Crawford will be the All-SEC player this year IMO.

leland7
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Jasper has lots of potential. His shot needs work,and shooting can be improved on with practice.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, before his shot gets work, he needs to find confidence in it. Rajon Rondo wasn't a shooter either, but he even had more confidence. At 6'5 he's a good passer and great defender. I see the Jason Kidd comparisons. I think he could have an NBA career, if for nothing else his size for the position.

leland7
06-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Jasper is very capable of being an outstanding point guard. Has lots of talent.

georgiaguy31015
06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this belongs in the UK forum?

batmanthelegend
06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Holy crap, Tub has a man crush on Meeks. How many times am I gonna read how underrated Meeks is and how he will dominate the NBA one day?

Meeks is really good but daaaaaaaaannnnnnnng, he's no Bev or M-WASH.

steelyvan
06-08-2007, 10:32 PM
does meeks defend well enough to be considered at the lofty level kentubby places him?

NCMISSSTFAN
06-09-2007, 05:14 AM
I really like this guy too, he scares me when we play UK though. He reminds me of a Ray Allen type of player.

While we are on it, other up and comers for next season will be Barry Stewart and Duke Crews. There's alot more but for some reason those two stand out to me.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
does meeks defend well enough to be considered at the lofty level kentubby places him?

Yes, he does. How many times did he gets steals off of anticipation in the passing lanes.

He had a 90% FT shooting percentage, which was best in the SEC.

He was a College Insider Freshmen All American, and unanimous All-SEC Freshmen.

The guy is really dominant, and yeah, I've got a man crush on him. No water off my back to admit that. He's a great player. Perhaps the best guards at Kentucky in the last ten and twelve years, which allows him to contend for the same honor within the whole SEC.

steelyvan
06-09-2007, 07:22 PM
kentubby, as you may know, sometimes kentucky fans have blinders on. meeks was just a freshman so i cut him some slack and look forward to seeing him develop. my take on his defensive ability was that he was the "beneficiary" of the other talented defenders on the floor for kentucky. their ability to apply pressure must have left meeks in the right place on occasion. i question his ability to do that at this point.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 03:22 PM
kentubby, as you may know, sometimes kentucky fans have blinders on. meeks was just a freshman so i cut him some slack and look forward to seeing him develop. my take on his defensive ability was that he was the "beneficiary" of the other talented defenders on the floor for kentucky. their ability to apply pressure must have left meeks in the right place on occasion. i question his ability to do that at this point.

Even if UK fans did have blinders on, I've proven thru my time here that I understand the game of basketball. I'm sure I saw Meeks more than you did, and Meeks' only problem on defense IMO (and according to Tubby) was that he anticipated a bit too much which got him out of position. No he didn't set a freshmen steals record like Rondo, but that shouldn't be the standard.

If he couldn't play defense, Tubby Smith, one of the most respected defensive coaches ever, wouldn't have played him.

Meeks will be one of the best players in SEC history (both sides of the ball). I don't see Meeks making that comment look stupid. With Morris he was our best player in February on.

steelyvan
06-10-2007, 07:52 PM
...and your team went 6-7 in that stretch. tubby needed his offense. he has a ways to go to prove his sec caliber. without question, he will be given that opportunity.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2007, 12:27 PM
He doesn't have a ways to go to prove his caliber. I think once a guy is unanimously voted to the All-SEC Freshmen team, he's clearly one of the SEC's best young players, which usually translates to being one of the leauge's best by his junior and senior seasons, if Meeks even makes it that far.

Sorry, Meeks isn't "Michael Jordan". We'll settle for "Reggie Miller".

XPS
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
he has a ways to go to prove his sec caliber

With all due respect, i believe Meeks has shown that he is Sec caliber...