4-guard lineup possible for Cats [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 4-guard lineup possible for Cats

XPS
06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
A version of the glass half empty-half full debate hovers over Kentucky basketball.

With Randolph Morris' early departure to the NBA, the Wildcats lost their only credible big man. So will UK be saddled with a telling flaw, the proverbial doughnut team (hole in the middle) in 2007-08? Or can UK go small, maximize its strengths on the perimeter and try to terrorize opponents with speed?

It seems new coach Billy Gillispie may opt for the latter.

One of those perimeter players, sophomore-to-be Jodie Meeks, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently that Gillispie has mentioned to the team the idea of a four-guard lineup.

"That would be nice if we did," Meeks said. "We could be sort of like the Golden State Warriors."

The perimeter-oriented Warriors captured the imagination of NBA fans and made a bit of league history in this year's playoffs. By beating top-seeded Dallas, Golden State became that rare No. 8 seed to win a first-round playoff series.

Kentucky has a perimeter corps stocked with veteran and/or talented players. The stockpile includes seniors Joe Crawford (the last McDonald's All-American left from the freshman class of 2005) and Ramel Bradley, plus sophomores Derrick Jasper, Michael Porter and Meeks. Then there's Parade All-America freshman Alex Legion.

There doesn't seem to be a proven point guard in the mix. Finding one seems paramount, not only because point guard Baron Davis made Golden State work. Kentucky tried all of last season to mask its lack of a point guard. Bradley and Jasper alternated at the position. Each struggled, Bradley with his decision-making, Jasper with his shooting.

Although Meeks became one of Kentucky's more reliable (and fearless) scorers last season, he's willing to shift to point guard.

"It's no problem," he said. "If the team needs me, I'll play it."

Meeks, who along with his teammates returned to the UK campus yesterday, played some point guard in leading Norcross High School to the Georgia Class AAAAA state championship as a senior. He averaged 4.2 assists along with 23.7 points and 6.0 rebounds as a senior.

"In high school, I'd switch over to point guard if we needed a big play or someone to set up the offense," Meeks said. "I'm pretty familiar with it."

Gillispie has not asked him to play point guard, Meeks said. But the UK player expects to put in time at the position during this off-season and upcoming pre-season.

Meeks said he hoped to improve his overall game going into next season.

As for how Gillispie wanted him to improve, Meeks said, "He just said he wants me to be more of a leader and work as hard as I can."

When asked about individual and team goals for 2007-08, Meeks noted the same one-for-all approach the Cats espoused going into last season.

"The more we win," he said, "the better everybody looks."

Meeks
http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/89729.html

GR8NESS
06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
SWEET! I've been saying 4 guards all along, looks like it might happen.

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Coach Cyprien said this is possible, but it seems like the staff is really high on Ramon Harris at the same time, and while he's not a big forward, he'd still give more size if he had to play the 4 in a smaller lineup.

In this day and age, I don't think you'll win a national championship playing four guards, so I'd suggest we develop some of these big guys. Maybe their not the best in the nation, but you can develop AJ Stewart, Perry Stevenson, and Jared Carter to where they can contribute this year, which brings me to another thing, if Gillispie feels he needs a fifth point guard, maybe that's a telling sign that he can't develop one of the four we already have, which would be shocking considering his track record with guards.

XPS
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
SWEET! I've been saying 4 guards all along, looks like it might happen.

That would defiantly be exciting to watch...

boxvic
06-06-2007, 01:08 PM
if Gillispie feels he needs a fifth point guard, maybe that's a telling sign that he can't develop one of the four we already have, which would be shocking considering his track record with guards.

That is the thing though, we don't really have a PG. We have guys who were labeled as PG's in high school, or where assumed to be PG's because of their size.

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2007, 02:33 PM
But, think about it, Acie Law isn't/wasn't really a point guard either was he. He was a scorer just as Bradley is a to a lesser degree.

Derrick Jasper clearly has potential to excel at the position; he's already a good decision maker and a good passer. There's no reason Gillispie can't do much better with him in three years than Tubby did. If he can't, is he really worth the $2.3 million. Let's not kid ourselves here.

boxvic
06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Man you just wont let it go will you?

georgiaguy31015
06-06-2007, 05:30 PM
That would defiantly be exciting to watch...

You got that right.