The Anything Tubby Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : The Anything Tubby Thread

GR8NESS
06-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Okay folks, this is where Tubby posts and discussions belong as they relate to Kentucky (Minnesota/Tubby posts go on the Non-SEC area). Seems that recently he's been injected into several other discussions relating not to him, so if threads about Gillispie or Patterson or whoever get jacked and become Tubby debates, we WILL hand out warnings and then infractions for them.

Thanks.

REBEL5 AC
06-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Woooo!!!!!!! Tubzzz!!!!!!!!!

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
It's quite simple to me that somebody is on a power trip. If I say something about this UK team having Tubby's influence on it, if people don't like it they don't have to respond. I wasn't even gonna make the thread about Tubby. But, people felt compelled to argue.

But, you're the police and I won't talk about Tubby again. I don't know about you Brummett, but my coach is Billy Gillispie and I'm quite happy about that. So, if you have to start a thread about Tubby, that's cool. I'm focusing on my guy, Billy Gillispie.

XPS
06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Okay folks, this is where Tubby posts and discussions belong as they relate to Kentucky (Minnesota/Tubby posts go on the Non-SEC area). Seems that recently he's been injected into several other discussions relating not to him, so if threads about Gillispie or Patterson or whoever get jacked and become Tubby debates, we WILL hand out warnings and then infractions for them.

Thanks.

Great idea:cheers:

deterp
06-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Kentubby, this is not a "power trip"! There are continually complaints about threads being hi-jacked and turned into UK/Tubby threads, to the point where we're losing posters in this forum.

Mr. Smith now is at Minnesota, and that's out of conference for the SEC so those threads belong in a different forum. A passing reference to Mr. Smith, his career, his "influence" on the current UK program is on thing. A continuation of Mr. Smith in a thread set up to discuss the SEC in general now is something else. Surely you can tell the difference.

The originating of an "All things Tubby" thread is in direct response to the members of this community and their feelings and is not dependent on one particular Mod. Keep that in mind, everyone.

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Mr. Smith now is at Minnesota, and that's out of conference for the SEC so those threads belong in a different forum. A passing reference to Mr. Smith, his career, his "influence" on the current UK program is on thing. A continuation of Mr. Smith in a thread set up to discuss the SEC in general now is something else. Surely you can tell the difference.

If that's what you think, what's the problem then. If you look back at the thread, I indeed made a passing reference to Tubby in the thread about Gillispie winning at title. I said I think he could next year, with players that were mainly recruited by Tubby. It's not my issue or problem IMO if other people feel compelled to argue that. They are the ones that turned into a Tubby thread, because all I did was make a passing reference of the coach.

Now as I said earlier, "my coach is Billy Gillispie and I'm quite happy about that. So, if you have to start a thread about Tubby, that's cool. I'm focusing on my guy, Billy Gillispie."

REBEL5 AC
06-06-2007, 03:20 PM
So, what does everythink Tubby will do at Minnesota? Hang around .500 all his time at Minnesota?

GDawg88
06-06-2007, 03:24 PM
So, what does everythink Tubby will do at Minnesota? Hang around .500 all his time at Minnesota?
I think he'll win a Big Ten title there at some point.

REBEL5 AC
06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe, but Minnesota is Minnesota.

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Exactly, Minnesota is Minnesota, just as Texas is Texas. Texas hired a less proven coach when they hired Rick Barnes and we see what he's been able to do. Minnesota has a better coach than Texas got way back when, so yeah, Tubby can and will win in Minnesota. Minnesota and other programs not having much tradition doesn't stop them from buidling tradition. THe people of Minnesota love the U.

Tubby's not a bad recruiter as the insiders say, perhaps his assistants just didn't get the job done, but Tubby has remedied that.

In the Big Ten, chief competitors will be Michigan State and Indiana, teams that Tubby is something like 10-6 against in his career. I think Coach Smith will be fine. Tubby is the third best coach in the nation in terms of consecutive 20 win seasons and NCAAT berths. It's not like this is a chopped liver coach they have. Tubby will rebuild that program, and they'll do well.

I'm happy for Tubby personally. He'll show once again that he can win whether he's at Kentucky or not IMO. He turned UGA around during his first season, and really set Tulsa in motion after JD Barnett was fired.

GDawg88
06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Tubby is the third best coach in the nation in terms of consecutive 20 win seasons and NCAAT berths. It's not like this is a chopped liver coach they have. Tubby will rebuild that program, and they'll do well.
Exactly. The bloom may be off the rose for Tubby a little bit with the way his career ended at Kentucky, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a mega-coup for a program like Minnesota to get a proven winner of the highest order. He'll make them relevant, in the Big Ten and nationally.

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Exactly. Minnesota basically hired what could easily be considered the best or second most accomplished coach (to Tom Izzo) in the Big Ten.

I mean, yeah, Tubby's perception now is that he can't coach, but any coach would take at least 22 wins a year over the last ten years like Tubby had with a national title.

Tubby was the first coach to take Tulsa to back to back Sweet 16s, and the only coach to this day to have back to back twenty wins at UGA. Don't forget this: Tubby hasn't forgotten how to coach.

Tubby will be one of the only coaches to take four schools to the Sweet 16 when he does it for Minnesota within the next 4 or 5 years. Minnesota got a steal, because as their AD Joel Maturi says people were telling him, Minnesota has no business getting a Tubby Smith.

And, Tubby's not a stupid person. He went to Minnesota because he thinks he can win there. A determined Tubby Smith is not something you want to mess with (the SEC should know that since he's fifth all time in SEC wins).

Wronghorns
06-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Thad Matta.:cheers:

georgiaguy31015
06-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks.

Thanks man and good idea.

georgiaguy31015
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Kentubby, this is not a "power trip"! There are continually complaints about threads being hi-jacked and turned into UK/Tubby threads, to the point where we're losing posters in this forum.

The originating of an "All things Tubby" thread is in direct response to the members of this community and their feelings and is not dependent on one particular Mod. Keep that in mind, everyone.

Good post as usual.

georgiaguy31015
06-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I think he'll win a Big Ten title there at some point.

I agree with that. I'm not sure how much better he will do than this but I do believe he will win a Big ten title at some point and time before he leaves.

KevinKat78
06-06-2007, 08:07 PM
:rotf: This is great that you started this thread but I still can't say how I feel without getting into trouble. Great recruiter!:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Well anyway, I'm to the point where I'm tired of the mention of Tubby in too positive terms and not being able to give my negitive returns. To me it would be better that Tubby just not be mentioned in any way. Saying things like CBC better not loose 10 games. That's talking about Tubby. Who else looses 10 games or more on a consistent basis. If you compare that to UK history any year a team looses more than 5 games it's a bad year. If you don't believe me go look at all the records.:nono:

deterp
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Texas hired a less proven coach when they hired Rick Barnes

I beg your pardon!! :eek: Barnes had a proven track record before he went to Texas and Texas was positively thrilled to get the man and his background. Try reading "Hornfans" sometime.

In the Big Ten, chief competitors will be Michigan State and Indiana,

There again, I think you're not considering some major competition for the Gophers. Wisconsin has been doing quite well the last several years....really tough for the rest of the conference. Iowa, Illinois and particularly The Ohio State University have been leading lights in the Big 10 in the last five years.
The only "sure thing" Tubby has to look foreward to is Northwestern and maybe Penn State. Everyone else can and will give him a run for him money. Izzo is one dang good coach, but even Izzo admits that this conference can be a killer and a major ego deflator.

OffThePorch
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Exodus 20
4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

KevinKat78
06-06-2007, 08:13 PM
:rotf: How come this thread shows up on the big board and no longer shows up in the real basketball board anymore?:rotf:

I see now. It got sticky. I wasn't looking for it up there.:rotf:

WVUfaninKY3
06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Tubby got many recruits simply because he was at KENTUCKY..."All I tell the recruits is that by going to Kentucky they have an opportunity to get a great education and to play for the Greatest Program in the history in College Basketball". What is he going to tell the recruits at Minnesota? They have a chance to get a great education and the opportunity to do a ton of Ice fishing?

Tubby will struggle to win 20 games at Minnesota for the length of his tenure there

GDawg88
06-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I beg your pardon!! :eek: Barnes had a proven track record before he went to Texas and Texas was positively thrilled to get the man and his background. Try reading "Hornfans" sometime.

You're right, Barnes did some good things at Clemson and was a hot commodity when Texas got him, but he wasn't (and still isn't) nearly as accomplished as Tubby Smith.

georgiaguy31015
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
You're right, Barnes did some good things at Clemson and was a hot commodity when Texas got him, but he wasn't (and still isn't) nearly as accomplished as Tubby Smith.

I would have to agree with you there.

kentubbybasketball
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree with that. I'm not sure how much better he will do than this but I do believe he will win a Big ten title at some point and time before he leaves.

What do you mean, you're not sure much than he can do than a Big Ten title. If you can win the Big Ten, usually you can win the national championship or contend for the final fours.

Look at their final four teams of late.
1997: Minnesota
1999: Michigan State and Ohio State
2000: Michigan State (champs) and Wisconsin
2001: Michigan State
2002: Indiana and current IU coach had Oklahoma here
2005: Michigan State
2007: Ohio State

Other than 2006, where each team was out by the second round, if you can contend for the Big Ten title you can do much more than they as well.

kentubbybasketball
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM

There again, I think you're not considering some major competition for the Gophers. Wisconsin has been doing quite well the last several years....really tough for the rest of the conference. Iowa, Illinois and particularly The Ohio State University have been leading lights in the Big 10 in the last five years.
The only "sure thing" Tubby has to look foreward to is Northwestern and maybe Penn State. Everyone else can and will give him a run for him money. Izzo is one dang good coach, but even Izzo admits that this conference can be a killer and a major ego deflator.

deterp, with all due respect, you don't have to tell me anything about the Big Ten. I (yeah me) am the one that said the Big Ten has the best coaches in the nation. So, I know how tough that league is, and it's that much tougher because Tubby is there.

I'm not sure what your point is, because really you make points that I already believe in.

And, Rick Barnes didn't have the resume when he was hired, that Tubby has when he was hired (at Minnesota). Not sure how that can be argued since one has a gold medal, national title, sweep of NCOY awards, etc. That's miffing to me.

kentubbybasketball
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I agree. Barnes is quite known as a guy that doesn't advance as far as he should with the talent he has at his disposal. You have perhaps college ball's best player in the last 10 years and you go to the Sweet 16... Todd Lickliter did that at Butler (and he's in the Big Ten now at Iowa). You see, deterp, I do know a thing or two about the Big Ten.

georgiaguy31015
06-07-2007, 10:32 PM
What do you mean, you're not sure much than he can do than a Big Ten title. If you can win the Big Ten, usually you can win the national championship or contend for the final fours.

Look at their final four teams of late.
1997: Minnesota
1999: Michigan State and Ohio State
2000: Michigan State (champs) and Wisconsin
2001: Michigan State
2002: Indiana and current IU coach had Oklahoma here
2005: Michigan State
2007: Ohio State

Other than 2006, where each team was out by the second round, if you can contend for the Big Ten title you can do much more than they as well.

I mean that in my mind I'm ready to say with confidence that he will win a big ten title but I'm not ready to say with confidence that he will win a national title. A Final Four could be possible but at this point I'm just not sure.

KevinKat78
06-08-2007, 07:17 AM
:rotf: He can't recruit so he can't do much with projects like he got while at UK and he doesn't have the UK name to help him either. His choices for Assistent coaches is very laughable.:rotf:

Storm
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
don't forget about stiffer competition from Michigan as well, now that Beilein is there.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2007, 03:08 PM
don't forget about stiffer competition from Michigan as well, now that Beilein is there.

Yeah, John Beilen is gonna be hard to prepare for. He's got a system that is just hard to prepare for when you only have 3 days between games. All those back cuts and such, but Tubby had beaten West Virigina when Beilen had Gansey/Pittsnoggle. Then, the next game, you may have Bo Ryan with that flex offense.

It's gonna be a tough leauge, but a league that's more on par in terms of coaching with Tubby's abilities and style. IMO.

I can't wait till we win a Big Ten title at Minnesota and do much more than just that.

Wronghorns
06-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah, John Beilen is gonna be hard to prepare for. He's got a system that is just hard to prepare for when you only have 3 days between games. All those back cuts and such, but Tubby had beaten West Virigina when Beilen had Gansey/Pittsnoggle. Then, the next game, you may have Bo Ryan with that flex offense.

It's gonna be a tough leauge, but a league that's more on par in terms of coaching with Tubby's abilities and style. IMO.

I can't wait till we win a Big Ten title at Minnesota and do much more than just that.

I didn't know you were on Rub-a-tub-tub's coaching staff...

REBEL5 AC
06-08-2007, 05:05 PM
:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I didn't know you were on Rub-a-tub-tub's coaching staff...

And, you also don't know that my mom went to Minnesota and that I was born and lived there. If you're ignorant on something (which is usually the case) don't speak up. Please. It'll save you the embarrassment.

Storm
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
does that mean you are on the staff?

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Lol....

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:01 PM
If you say so, Storm.

Storm
06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
lol.........;)

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Storm, it's really no different from you being up John Beilen's butt. The only difference is supporting Tubby looks better considering he's actually won a national title... well, if you count NITs, you would like John Beilen... nevermind.

Storm
06-09-2007, 04:08 PM
i'm not on you for supporting tubby, i think its great, i just thought it was funny that you didn't deny being on his coaching staff......LOL,

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Storm, why would I deny. Everybody calls me Saul Smith.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Brummett made it quite clear this thread was to be about Tubby AS IT PERTAINS TO KENTUCKY. He even said that Minnesota/Tubby threads belong in the non-SEC forum. If he is a man of his word (and we all know he is), there will be a lot of you getting infractions on this thread for deliberately ignoring his warning. I don't want to hear any complaining about not being warned. Especially from you, Gdawg!

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Brummett made it quite clear this thread was to be about Tubby AS IT PERTAINS TO KENTUCKY. He even said that Minnesota/Tubby threads belong in the non-SEC forum. If he is a man of his word (and we all know he is), there will be a lot of you getting infractions on this thread for deliberately ignoring his warning. I don't want to hear any complaining about not being warned. Especially from you, Gdawg!

Nevermind.

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
YOu've got a high opinion of Brummett... is that completely warranted? LOL His boyfriend TF thinks so probably.:rotf:
You piece of http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gif.. Yeah, give me a mother****** infraction.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
YOu've got a high opinion of Brummett... is that completely warranted? LOL His boyfriend TF thinks so probably.:rotf:

You're playing with fire, Kentubby. I have a lot of respect for Brummett. Even if I feel unfairly targeted at times he has always made an attempt to follow through on his promises.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:14 PM
You piece of http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gif.. Yeah, give me a mother****** infraction.

I guess you missed the smiley there, huh?

It's funny, because you raz me all the time. I say one thing and you get angry.

Oh well. stubby, I've been informed by a high standing member here that this thread was created to be thrown in my face, so this thread and anything that's been done is it is about class.

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2007, 04:15 PM
No I didn't miss it http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gif.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Okay, I get the impression that you're mad by all those smilies. All I can say is "I apologize." It was meant as a joke. People talk about me all the time.

And, people know the Tubby issue is a polarizing issue, yet this thread gets made to embarrass me. So, I don't think I'm the only person at fault here.

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
No, I want an infraction.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Fine by me, but why does the comment sting, if you know it was meant as a joke?

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
LOL....It was a joke my Texas a$$.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the rep earlier stubby. I'll send you some. I get exactly what you're saying.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:31 PM

TF, when I'm joking about something I use smileys, and I rarely ever use smilies, so this was a rare occurrence.

Simply put, the apology is there. I've done my part, I retracted (edited out) the comment. I've done my part.

It's all in the mod's hands. All, I'll say (before I leave this issue behind and) is that you've got to develop tougher skin. As you see it's much harder to take criticism than it is to dole it out. I'd appreciate it if that was thought about next time before I'm insulted (as you do to me often).

Anyway, as I said, I'm sorry your feelings are hurt a meaningless comment. I'll catch you around.

dawgstud
06-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Everything is bigger in Texas.

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Tubby Smith.

KevinKat78
06-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Tubby Smith.

SUCKS!:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah it sucks to have a gold medal, national title, and millions of dollars in the bank. That life really sucks. I assume yours is better Kevin... no wait, that's why he's got all that and you're just on a message board.... talking about him.

dawgstud
06-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah it sucks to have a gold medal, national title, and millions of dollars in the bank. That life really sucks. I assume yours is better Kevin... no wait, that's why he's got all that and you're just on a message board.... talking about him.

The truth doesn't always go down like a spoonful of sugar. Well said, KT.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2007, 05:21 PM
stubby, I do what I can do. Kevin, knows I respect him, but he just needs to be educated a bit on some of this stuff. LOL

XPS
06-13-2007, 08:28 PM

Tubby has accomplished more at this point. But who would you rather have at this point of their careers? I would take Barnes, he doesn't seem like he's lost his touch and he is by far the better recruiter...

dawgstud
06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Tubby has accomplished more at this point. But who would you rather have at this point of their careers? I would take Barnes, he doesn't seem like he's lost his touch and he is by far the better recruiter...

Wouldn't even be close. I gotta take the Tubster.

GDawg88
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't even be close. I gotta take the Tubster.
I agree. Barnes has had two of the best college players in recent history in T.J. Ford and Kevin Durant and hasn't even been able to get to a national championship game. I've gotta go with Tubby.

dawgstud
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree. Barnes has had two of the best college players in recent history in T.J. Ford and Kevin Durant and hasn't even been able to get to a national championship game. I've gotta go with Tubby.

Tubby was winning 25+ games with "subpar" recruiting classes in the always tough SEC. Think about that.

XPS
06-14-2007, 12:27 AM

The samething could be said about Prince. Barnes has assembled his own final 4 team...

dawgstud
06-14-2007, 12:29 AM
The samething could be said about Prince. Barnes has assembled his own final 4 team...

Barnes has 0 titles with his or anyone else's players.

XPS
06-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Tubby was winning 25+ games with "subpar" recruiting classes in the always tough SEC. Think about that.

In 10 years, Tubby has had 4, 25+ win seasons at UK and remember Tubby landed more McDonald's all-Americans than Pitino did...

In 8 years including probation, Rick Pitino had 6, 25+ win seasons and lost ONE time in the Sec tourney...

XPS
06-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Barnes has 0 titles with his or anyone else's players.

That's true, Barnes like many don't have the opportunity to take over a dynasty program who had been to back to back title games...

Storm
06-14-2007, 08:09 AM
don't use the word "dynasty" so loosely.........

georgiaguy31015
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM

I see Barnes as a guy who can't win a national title. I think he could get you close but he couldn't get you over that hump in my opinion.

GoBigO
06-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Tubby is the head coach at Minnesota.

That is all. :p

GR8NESS
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah, because three straight national title games, and four final fours in seven years is absolutley normal.

REBEL5 AC
06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, Rick had to build us from the ground up, and I am happy where we are.

XPS
06-14-2007, 02:15 PM

3 straight title games and with UK's tradition, you don't call that a dynasty?

XPS
06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I see Barnes as a guy who can't win a national title. I think he could get you close but he couldn't get you over that hump in my opinion.

It wouldn't suprise me in the least to see Barnes win a Title before his time is up....

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I'd take Tubby 8 days out of a 7 day week. Rick Barnes needs to do more before he's being compared to an Olympic Gold Medalist that wins NCOY every two years on average over the past 6 seasons.

XPS
06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Olympic Gold Medalist

Kentubby me or you could have been on that bench and won the Olympic Gold.

REBEL5 AC
06-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Olympic Gold Medalist

LOL...

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Olympic Gold Medalist

Oh, XPS is mad now.

Exactly... but me and/or you weren't on the bench. Tubby was, and each coach is picked for his expertise in an area. The defense on that team was good thanks to Tubby. Winning gold medals haven't been so easy of late... well unless you're Argentina.

But, I'm not gonna debate the merits of whether Tubby was or wasn't on the bench. He was and that's that.

Find a new argument. Get your self out of that wad.

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm sitting back just waiting to see XPS's response. I've gotten down to one of 4 different things he'll say. I'll just wait out and see what (or if he'll say anything).

Storm
06-14-2007, 04:25 PM
3 straight title games and with UK's tradition, you don't call that a dynasty?

no, had they won all three, then you are "entering" the realm. but since they were not back to back, I don't consider it a dynasty

XPS
06-14-2007, 04:46 PM
The defense on that team was good thanks to Tubby

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t70/xps1973/lmaocry12.gif

Please provide the link?

XPS
06-14-2007, 04:47 PM
no, had they won all three, then you are "entering" the realm. but since they were not back to back, I don't consider it a dynasty

We will agree to disagree...

REBEL5 AC
06-14-2007, 04:47 PM
I guess Tubby parted the Red Sea too, K-Tub.

Storm
06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
We will agree to disagree...

fair enough. but I guess i'm a bit hypocritical, because the Spurs did not win any back to back, but i consider them a dynasty, but they won more than 2. so I guess it could go either way. I can see your logic.

XPS
06-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I guess Tubby parted the Red Sea too, K-Tub.

Oh yeah...:rotf:

XPS
06-14-2007, 04:57 PM
fair enough. but I guess i'm a bit hypocritical, because the Spurs did not win any back to back, but i consider them a dynasty, but they won more than 2. so I guess it could go either way. I can see your logic.

The spurs without a doubt is a dynasty with the best power forward to ever play the game Tim Duncan.

REBEL5 AC
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree. I have said imo Tim Duncan is the best forward to ever play the game.

GR8NESS
06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
The defense on that team was good thanks to Tubby.

You don't need much defense when you score 48888 points onThe Republic of the Democratic Communist Socialst States Formerly of the Soviet Union Via Kazhakstan Via Yugoslovia Across Iraq Freed by the United States and Attacked by Iran and Subsequently Freed by the United States after France Surrendered Again.

XPS
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
The defense on that team was good thanks to Tubby.

You don't need much defense when you score 48888 points onThe Republic of the Democratic Communist Socialst States Formerly of the Soviet Union Via Kazhakstan Via Yugoslovia Across Iraq Freed by the United States and Attacked by Iran and Subsequently Freed by the United States after France Surrendered Again.

Exactly

deterp
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree. I have said imo Tim Duncan is the best forward to ever play the game.

ACC, bay-beee! :rotf:

GR8NESS
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
^Kentucky shut his arse down in the tourney in Charlotte in...was it '94? I was there, of course I can't remember that too well...

KevinKat78
06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
:rotf: I thought this thread was about Tubby!

XPS
06-14-2007, 10:52 PM
^Kentucky shut his arse down in the tourney in Charlotte in...was it '94? I was there, of course I can't remember that too well...

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/19960323WakeForest.html

XPS
06-14-2007, 10:53 PM
:rotf: I thought this thread was about Tubby!

Who's that? :rotf:

GR8NESS
06-14-2007, 10:55 PM
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/19960323WakeForest.html

It was in '96?! And not in Charlotte?!
Damn...........:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

XPS
06-14-2007, 11:06 PM
You can listen to Mr Tubby right here.

http://www.790thezone.com/multimedia/instant_replay.aspx

Tubby said UK made the sweet 16 the last couple of years, I almost feel sorry for the man as its obvious that he has lost his mind...

KevinKat78
06-14-2007, 11:27 PM
You can listen to Mr Tubby right here.

http://www.790thezone.com/multimedia/instant_replay.aspx

Tubby said UK made the sweet 16 the last couple of years, I almost feel sorry for the man as its obvious that he has lost his mind...

Years A go!:raz:

XPS
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Also said he turned down 6 NBA teams and took 2 NBA jobs before backing out of course. Said he was going to turn down the UK job before Rick Pitino called and convinced him to take the job...

KevinKat78
06-15-2007, 01:26 PM
:cry: Now we all got more reasons to hate Rick! I thought we had enough.

kentubbybasketball
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Fair point. But, in college basketball it's rare that anybody goes to three straight title games, so a dynasty can't be considered the same thing in every sport.

I'm not sure a three year period is enough to claim a dynasty though. What Duke had from 1986 till the present with 10 final fours is more of a dynasty within the last two decades IMO.

kentubbybasketball
06-15-2007, 02:06 PM
And, it's cool to see that NBA teams wanted (and thought they had Tubby). It says a lot about your worth in your chosen profession.

XPS
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
It says a lot about your worth in your chosen profession.

At one time, i would say the want is gone now...

kentubbybasketball
06-15-2007, 02:32 PM
??? I'm not an NBA GM. I don't know. If they go after Lon Kruger and Tim Floyd (from Illinois and Iowa State), who knows what NBA teams will do. That's neither here nor there though.

dawgstud
06-15-2007, 03:08 PM
That's neither here nor there though.

Exactly right.

KevinKat78
06-15-2007, 04:03 PM
:rotf: Well here is the #10 ranking in recruiting in the big ten for Tubby the big NBA coach.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=ApIwCBvNMgw113Y3Gf.ls3zevbYF?slug=rivals-132526&prov=rivals&type=lgns
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

XPS
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
:rotf: Well here is the #10 ranking in recruiting in the big ten for Tubby the big NBA coach.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=ApIwCBvNMgw113Y3Gf.ls3zevbYF?slug=rivals-132526&prov=rivals&type=lgns
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm sure it was to late for Tubby to land any bigtime talent, so look for a top 10 class in 08...;):sarcasm:

Storm
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
same with Beilein......i hope.

XPS
06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
same with Beilein......i hope.

Look for a bunch of great shooters at Michigan in a couple of years...

GR8NESS
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm sure it was to late for Tubby to land any bigtime talent, so look for a top 10 class in 08...;):sarcasm:

:rotf: :rotf:

Storm
06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Look for a bunch of great shooters at Michigan in a couple of years...

that's what i'm thinking. but i almost had a heart attack when i clicked the link and saw "smartest player" and "michigan" in the same sentence. It's been a long time since that was in there. Probably the Glenn Rice days.....LOL

dawgstud
06-15-2007, 06:57 PM
It isn't enough to have gotten rid of Tubby. Now you have to kick him around while he's at Minnesota? Kentucky fans showing their true COLOR.

GDawg88
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
It isn't enough to have gotten rid of Tubby. Now you have to kick him around while he's at Minnesota? Kentucky fans showing their true COLOR.
I find your use of the world "color" very apropos.

XPS
06-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Leave it to Mr Stud himself to bring race into the discussion, who would have ever thunk it?

Storm
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
let's keep it under control now. Let cooler heads prevail please.

dawgstud
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Leave it to Mr Stud himself to bring race into the discussion, who would have ever thunk it?

Truth doesn't always go down like a spoonful of sugar, XPS. Chinese friend or not, this has a lot to do with the man's race.

XPS
06-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Truth doesn't always go down like a spoonful of sugar, XPS. Chinese friend or not, this has a lot to do with the man's race.

Of course in your opinion. these are the main reasons people had a problem with Tubby Stud, this is the anything Tubby thread and you knew it wasn't going to be all love and kisses for Tubby..

Only UK Coach to lose 10 or more games 3 times in a row

Only coach to lose to Ole Miss at Rupp

Only coach to lose to Vandy twice at Rupp

Longest Drought in UK history from a Final Four of any UK coach

Only coach to lose 4 home games to SEC Opponents in one year

More Home losses than any previous UK coach

Most Double Digit loss seasons of any UK coach

1st UK coach to not finish at least 2nd since the SEC expansion

Never recruited a player to play in a final four in 16 years as a head
coach

Fewest NBA draft picks of any coach with at least 5 years (only 2 1st rounders in 10 years)

47% of his recruits don't make their senior year

Current 5 game losing streak to florida could soon be a new record

Only coach with the overall #1 seed in the NCAA to lose in the 2nd round

Lowest Average Points Scored Per Game since the 3 point shot was introduced

Only UK Coach to lose a Preseason Exhibition game

Worst loss to Indiana ever (26 points)

Worst Loss on Senior Day since 1919

dawgstud
06-15-2007, 07:34 PM
He's gone. Name the reasons people continute to kick him...

REBEL5 AC
06-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Cause he failed to win a NC with his own players at KENTUCKY.

XPS
06-15-2007, 07:42 PM

For me Stud. The we have been to the sweet 16 the last 2 years BS and not admitting that UK was in fact on the way DOWN, he acts like UK was in the same shape it was when he took over...

dawgstud
06-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Fair enough.

KevinKat78
06-15-2007, 11:31 PM
For me there are several reasons:
I'm still not over the bad years at UK that should have never happened.
I get very upset seeing people still defending him like he was good when he wasn't.
During the last 5 years when I wanted to discuss the truth about him on most forums I was, edited, deleted or banned.
I want the truth told and to be known so people will stop defending him.
Ten loss Tubby doesn't deserve defending. He was lazy, selfish, and greedy. He did little to have the best team he could year in and year out at UK. He should have been run out much faster. Those of us that love UK don't want anything like this to ever happen at our UK ever again to our basketball program.

Storm
06-15-2007, 11:37 PM
better to celebrate a new than to piss on the past......that's what I say. Everybody wins with the situation that happened. He's in the Big 10 now, I can personally guarantee that he won't be heard from around the SEC now. I know, when I was living in SEC country, I couldn't find a paper talking about the Big 10 anywhere......he's gone, i've never seen so many people so adament about keeping somebodys spirit alive just so they can spit on it. Move on already......it's old.

KevinKat78
06-15-2007, 11:58 PM
better to celebrate a new than to piss on the past......that's what I say. Everybody wins with the situation that happened. He's in the Big 10 now, I can personally guarantee that he won't be heard from around the SEC now. I know, when I was living in SEC country, I couldn't find a paper talking about the Big 10 anywhere......he's gone, i've never seen so many people so adament about keeping somebodys spirit alive just so they can spit on it. Move on already......it's old.
You know that would be fine if you could get people to stop bragging on TLT like he was good. If you could get people to stop wishing doom on UK cause he's gone and to stop bringing up reasons Tubby suffered at UK while he cashed his million dollar checks in at the bank, While neglecting his job at UK. Hobbs couldn't do it all for him.

Storm
06-16-2007, 12:16 AM
the first step is not having threads like this that are 13 pages long. what has anybody gotten from any of this is the question.

KevinKat78
06-16-2007, 12:33 AM
This is good Therapy for those of us that suffered through Tubby being the coach at UK way too long. It also helps the Tubby lovers to see the truth so they can get over him leaving UK and them not being able to go to Minnesota with him. So it could be Therapy for them to.

dawgstud
06-16-2007, 12:47 AM
This is good Therapy for those of us that suffered through Tubby being the coach at UK way too long. It also helps the Tubby lovers to see the truth so they can get over him leaving UK and them not being able to go to Minnesota with him. So it could be Therapy for them to.

Go polish that ring he essentially single-handedly won for you.

REBEL5 AC
06-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Go polish that ring he essentially single-handedly won for you.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

#1GamecockFan
06-16-2007, 01:03 AM
This is good Therapy for those of us that suffered through Tubby being the coach at UK way too long.

What about us Gamecock fans? We need therapy for just about every sport. Even when we are good, we can't seem to get over the hump. We don't have 13+ page threads to dwell on why we have sucked in the past or why a particular coach is so terrible. This thread is not serving any purpose other than to bash Tubby and to rile people up. Whether that was the intention or not, that's what it does.

dawgstud
06-16-2007, 01:11 AM
What about us Gamecock fans? We need therapy for just about every sport. Even when we are good, we can't seem to get over the hump. We don't have 13+ page threads to dwell on why we have sucked in the past or why a particular coach is so terrible. This thread is not serving any purpose other than to bash Tubby and to rile people up. Whether that was the intention or not, that's what it does.

Well said, red leaf.

XPS
06-16-2007, 02:37 AM

I agree with you Storm.. Everytime i tell myself I'm going to leave Tubby out of the topic, here comes kentubby talking about Tubby. Why do you think this thread was started for? So we would hope the Tubby threads and hijacking decent threads with discussion of Tubby would stop on the UK board..

dawgstud
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree with you Storm.. Everytime i tell myself I'm going to leave Tubby out of the topic, here comes kentubby talking about Tubby. Why do you think this thread was started for? So we would hope the Tubby threads and hijacking decent threads with discussion of Tubby would stop on the UK board..

This thread is anything Tubby. Those who truly wanted to let the man go and heal from the racial bigotry he faced would not post on this thread.

To respond to this post would be a slap in the face to Tubby and everything he has done to make the University of Kentucky what it is today. There's a special place in heaven for a man like Tubby.

MissKitty
06-16-2007, 12:35 PM
This thread is anything Tubby. Those who truly wanted to let the man go and heal from the racial bigotry he faced would not post on this thread.

I've been sitting here debating on whether to reply to this moronic statement. Dawg, are you at your old games of starting crap, or are you stupid enough to believe the statement above?

Tubby Smith was a LAZY Dog who got complacent after he won his NC. The way Tubby was treated had absolutely NOTHING to do with the color of his skin.

I'm rather offended that you continue to make these type statements about Kentucky fans, when it's obvious to anyone who has eyes that Tubby didn't do his damn job.

XPS
06-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I've been sitting here debating on whether to reply to this moronic statement. Dawg, are you at your old games of starting crap, or are you stupid enough to believe the statement above?

Tubby Smith was a LAZY Dog who got complacent after he won his NC. The way Tubby was treated had absolutely NOTHING to do with the color of his skin.

I'm rather offended that you continue to make these type statements about Kentucky fans, when it's obvious to anyone who has eyes that Tubby didn't do his damn job.
'
Good post MissKitty..

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Yeah, it's quite embarrassed to be tied with some people, since we're both UK fans.

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 12:57 PM
better to celebrate a new than to piss on the past......that's what I say... Move on already......it's old.

Exactly. Storm, keepin' it simple like usual.

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 12:58 PM
This thread is not serving any purpose other than to bash Tubby and to rile people up. Whether that was the intention or not, that's what it does.

That was the exact intention. I've had some staff members here even apologize to me for Brummett starting this thread (as a way to shove it in my face).

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 12:59 PM

It's quite simple. You're in charge of your own decisions. If you don't want to talk about Tubby... don't talk about him. If I choose to talk about Tubby, I'll do it.

You sound like the little boy that shot somebody and blamed it on everyone else but himself.

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:01 PM

To respond to this post would be a slap in the face to Tubby and everything he has done to make the University of Kentucky what it is today. There's a special place in heaven for a man like Tubby.

And, stubby, you bring up an interesting point. Tubby said the other day he hasn't been received better anywhere than he has at Minnesota (and doubt that's coachspeak... somebody at his level doesn't have to resort to coachspeak). But, it's interesting to think about... what if Tubby won a national title every year... I wonder if some people would still not like him.

I mean, we see how people treat Pitino rudely now... and he's Italian. But, he's not treated nearly as bad as Tubby, and Pitino has made some stinging comments about UK fans, something Tubby is way above.

Neither of them are white. LOL

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:08 PM
what if Tubby won a national title every year... I wonder if some people would still not like him.

We wouldn't care kentubby, we just wanted Tubby gone:blah:

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:09 PM
If I choose to talk about Tubby, I'll do it.

We know kentubby:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:10 PM
what if Tubby won a national title every year... I wonder if some people would still not like him.

We wouldn't care kentubby, we just wanted Tubby gone:blah:

Well he's gone, so stop complaining. You got what you wanted. That was too easy.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Well he's gone, so stop complaining. You got what you wanted. That was too easy.

kentubby an honest question for you? Why would Tubby say that UK made the sweet 16 the last 2 years?

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Why should I have to answer that question? First off, I don't remember him saying that, and further, I'm not Tubby. If I knew what other people were thinking, I could make sense out of what your 2478 posts have been saying over the last few months you've been here.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't remember him saying that

He said it on the radio link that i provided kentubby...

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:20 PM
As I said earlier, I've not heard the comment and I don't wish to waste my time listening to it, just to answer your question (which is never sufficient for you anyway). Go to the source and ask Tubby if you want the answer.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:26 PM
As I said earlier, I've not heard the comment and I don't wish to waste my time listening to it, just to answer your question (which is never sufficient for you anyway). Go to the source and ask Tubby if you want the answer.

That's the response i thought i would get. You act like your a peace maker on the Tubby discussion, but what about your Tubby threads on the UK board?

We can agree right now kentubby. No more Tubby talk and I'm in...

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm not quite sure what mean about the "peace maker" thing, but as I said earlier you said you never want to talk about Tubby, yet you're always roped in by me. I shouldn't have that much control over your emotions, actions, or whatever.

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad you're thru talking.

I'll just end off by saying: Tubby Smith is a great coach. He did a great job at Kentucky, and he'll do a great job at Minnesota. Hard work and integrity breed success... so Tubby get ready for more success.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Whatever the case may be, I'm glad you're thru talking.

I see you will not agree to put this Tubby stuff to bed, i guess you enjoy talking about Tubby more than i thought...

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Tubby Smith is a great coach. He did a great job at Kentucky, and he'll do a great job at Minnesota. Hard work and integrity breed success... so Tubby get ready for more success.

In your opinion and thats your right...

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:37 PM
If you want to put it to bed, you don't have to talk about it. I shouldn't have to hold your hand for you stop talking about Tubby since that's what you've admitted you wanted to do.

Now, leave me alone on the matter. It's pointless to keep going around and around. If you want to stop talking about Tubby, stop talking. I'll handle myself, you handle yourself.

And, I know my opinion is my right. That's why it's MY opinion.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:41 PM
If you want to put it to bed, you don't have to talk about it. I shouldn't have to hold your hand for you stop talking about Tubby since that's what you've admitted you wanted to do.

Your right Tubby, just do us all a favor and stop with the race BS threads on the UK board, surely you can do that...

KevinKat78
06-16-2007, 01:43 PM

This is so horrible. Poor Tubby being allowed to stay at UK when he should have been fired 5 years ago. Racial my butt.:blah:

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:44 PM
When have I posted a race thread over at the UK board that didn't have a link to an article I had read? I'm only reporting the news of the day. If the news implies UK fans are racist... it's the news media, not me. I'm just linking what I want to link, just as everybody else does.

XPS, I've told you several times I don't think you're a racist. Yet, it never ceases to amaze me that you get offended when the conversation comes up that a segment of the fans may be racist.

KevinKat78
06-16-2007, 01:45 PM

Miss Kitty! It's so good to see you here. You are saying what I've been saying 4ever about Tubby. Thank you dear.:raz:

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Kevin, what a load of crap and you know it. I remember back in the day when you were as strong a Tubby supporter as anybody. Now you come here with that crap that you've always held this opinion... Please! Save the comedy for somewhere else.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:50 PM
When have I posted a race thread over at the UK board that didn't have a link to an article I had read? I'm only reporting the news of the day. If the news implies UK fans are racist... it's the news media, not me. I'm just linking what I want to link, just as everybody else does.

XPS, I've told you several times I don't think you're a racist. Yet, it never ceases to amaze me that you get offended when the conversation comes up that a segment of the fans may be racist.

kentubby we can do without the race crap, it makes me feel bad and ever other UK fan on the board...

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:53 PM
IMO, you and "every other UK fan on the board" (as you put it), knew part of the consequences of wanting Tubby gone was gonna be widespread talk about racist fans, whether it was true. You knew this was gonna happen over the 7 months of the offseason.

XPS
06-16-2007, 01:54 PM
IMO, you and "every other UK fan on the board" (as you put it), knew part of the consequences of wanting Tubby gone was gonna be widespread talk about racist fans, whether it was true. You knew this was gonna happen over the 7 months of the offseason.

Nobody is making you search for a racist article and post it kentubby...

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2007, 01:59 PM
XPS, it's not like I'm like, "I need to spend 15 hours searching for an article." They are easy to find. It's big news.

#1GamecockFan
06-16-2007, 02:28 PM
This thread has outlived itself.
Closed.