Trey Thompkins commits to GA... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Trey Thompkins commits to GA...

georgiaguy31015
05-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Fantastic news and thanks for the kind words guys.

kentubbybasketball
05-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I used to seeing him go by "Howard" instead of "Trey."

GDawg88
05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Awesome. Hopefully he'll stick.

Our frontcourt could be scary in a couple of years.

kentubbybasketball
05-27-2007, 02:52 PM
The biggest benefit of this is that UGA finally got a top tier interior guy from the state. For so long Tubby Smith and Paul Hewitt have done much better in Georgia than Felton. This serves as notice that places like Kentucky just can't come in and get a Jeff Sheppard, Kenny Walker, Gerald Fitch, Randolph Morris, or a Jodie Meeks without having to deal with UGA.

georgiaguy31015
05-27-2007, 02:54 PM
The biggest benefit of this is that UGA finally got a top tier interior guy from the state. For so long Tubby Smith and Paul Hewitt have done much better in Georgia than Felton. This serves as notice that places like Kentucky just can't come in and get a Jeff Sheppard, Kenny Walker, Gerald Fitch, Randolph Morris, or a Jodie Meeks without having to deal with UGA.

In his defense it's not all Felton's fault. It's hard to get top kids to come and play for you when you suck and I think considering the mess he's inherited Felton's done a great job.

GDawg88
05-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that's one of the big knocks on Felton. Although it may be a little unfair because let's face it, UGA has not been the best program in the world to recruit at lately. Hopefully with our program starting to get back on track Felton will get more players of this calibur.

kentubbybasketball
05-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, that's one of the big knocks on Felton. Although it may be a little unfair because let's face it, UGA has not been the best program in the world to recruit at lately. Hopefully with our program starting to get back on track Felton will get more players of this calibur.

Yeah, the only thing that saved Felton in this is that Thompkins is a home body (good job for Felton using his advantage), and there are enough guys like that each year from Atlanta, Macon, and Gwinnett County to field a quality team. UGA is gonna be fine recruiting.

Felton has recruited so many forwards though, and I feel as if guards have been neglected, even though there are two lesser known ones in your upcoming freshmen class.

GDawg88
05-27-2007, 03:05 PM
The more I read about Thompkins, the more ecstatic I am about this. This could be the breakthrough for Dennis Felton at Georgia. Mercer was a huge pickup, but Thompkins is by far the biggest splash Felton has made.

kentubbybasketball
05-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Mercer IMO was always rated a rung below Louis Williams, and when they both were supposed to come, Williams ended up in the NBA, so you really didn't get to enjoy Mercer. But, with Thompkins, he'll be going to UGA.

GatorMan32
05-27-2007, 03:37 PM
It'll be interesting to see what if any impact this can have on GA products like Tony Woods and Al-Farouq Aminu. Aminu is probably a GT lock and as of right now Woods is leaning to Florida. But Thompkins is a statement recruit for Felton.

georgiaguy31015
05-27-2007, 03:39 PM
It'll be interesting to see what if any impact this can have on GA products like Tony Woods and Al-Farouq Aminu. Aminu is probably a GT lock and as of right now Woods is leaning to Florida. But Thompkins is a statement recruit for Felton.

Good points and hopefully this will be the start of getting some big time players for Georgia. If this kid can come in and do great and Georgia can start winning I think the big name kids will start coming.

kentubbybasketball
05-27-2007, 03:40 PM
GD88, speaking of other GA players, doesn't Thompkins have a teammate that's a good player in his own right that is down to Auburn and UGA. It really can't hurt that Thompkins has verballed to UGA.