Is Long on ice as thin as Bielema? He likely could be [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Is Long on ice as thin as Bielema? He likely could be

ECDawg78
11-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Is Long on ice as thin as Bielema? He likely could be

By Andy Hodges
November 5, 2017

https://i0.wp.com/hitthatline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/crowd-1-featured.jpg?resize=696%2C392
This is the crowd on the East side of Razorback Stadium midway through the first quarter of Saturday's game against Coastal Carolina. Official attendance numbers peg the crowd at over 61,000.

Arkansas football fans made their voices heard Saturday.

The absence of live, breathing people at the game and tailgating outside was startling. That’s how the fans make their opinion known … they simply don’t show up.

And the two guys responsible, Jeff Long and Bret Bielema, appear oblivious to what would be a hilarious run to the gallows for both at just about every other school in the SEC.

Shoot, there are some schools where a board meeting likely would have been held in one of the luxury boxes after the 39-38 debacle Saturday night. The fact that the Razorbacks won the game and we’re still calling it a debacle should be telling by itself.

The pressure has been mounting around both since the September Swoon when the Hogs were “close” against TCU and Texas A&M in losses that realistically should not have happened.

It didn’t help that neither Long or Bielema have enough respect for Arkansas fans to just step up and tell the truth. Apparently, they think Razorback fans are dumb enough to believe anything they say.

Long, who talked in Little Rock about Bielema needing to win just a few more games to be a great coach and how Arkansas is “not a win at all cost program,” let the perception hang out there that the buyout was over $15 million.

When that didn’t work, all of a sudden lawyers start pointing out that, well, by golly, maybe that buyout was more in the order of something like just north of $5 million. While that sounds like a fortune to the common Razorback fan, in the world of college athletics that’s not a big deal.

Then the powers that be allowed attendance at home games against New Mexico State and Coastal Carolina to be announced at hilariously inflated numbers.

All of it may add up to a problem for Long, who is wrapping up his 10th season in charge of Razorback football. It’s been a 10-year run of being #uncommon for a program where common was seven or eight wins a year with a nine or even 10-win season thrown in every four years or so.

It’s been now six years since that 11-2 run that finished No. 5 in the country. Long steered the program towards the ditch by making a hire with little research, ignored the warning signs a couple of years ago and now is watching it wobble towards a cliff.

Bielema isn’t to blame for taking the job. Just the financial aspect of it alone made him want it, plus the chance to see if he could duplicate in the SEC what his mentor, Barry Alvarez, did at Wisconsin.

You suspected the first year he wouldn’t. By the midway point of his third season you knew he couldn’t. As the end of his fifth season approaches, everyone is wondering who’s next.

While some saw progress in that little run in 2015, they were overlooking it was a run to mediocrity. Losing home games to Toledo and Texas Tech were proof positive of that. The finish simply delayed what was becoming the obvious inevitable.

Losing the best playmakers to the NFL at the end of the 2015 season, combined with some lackluster recruiting, made the future look grim to those paying attention. When the rest of the playmakers were gone after the 2016 season, which collapsed at the end, pointed up every single problem the Bielema Era has.

Average coaching of average players yields average results until everyone gets tired of it. Then you have, well, a season where you’re trying to convince what’s left of your fan base that beating very bad teams by a single point with fourth-quarter comebacks is a positive sign.

Nobody believes it.

Particularly the fan base, who left the Auburn game in droves in the third quarter, then didn’t bother to even show up for a game against Coastal Carolina a week after another miracle win at Ole Miss.

There is zero confidence in the direction of Razorback football.

And it goes above Bielema’s head. Let’s face it, even if the Hogs manage to pull out a couple of wins here at the end nobody has any hope it will be better down the road.

Being 29-31 overall in your fifth year and 11-26 in the SEC makes it difficult for even the most hardcore fan. Having a constant dazed and confused look on the sideline followed by rambling, incoherent statements after the game just completes the circle.

Of course, Long, who has made statements that he doesn’t like making changes during a season, preferring to wait and let things play out, simply isn’t saying anything.

By doing that now — to some — it is showing he has less of a clue than his football coach apparently has.

Long has said the football program is more than wins and losses. Some say the athletic director’s job is more than the football program.

Both are wrong.

Football is the biggest marketing platform the entire university has.

And wins and losses, ultimately, are all that matter there.

In the SEC there are no participation trophies.

Which is why Long may be more worried about saving his own backside than what to do with Bielema.

http://hitthatline.com/is-long-on-ice-as-thin-as-bielema-he-likely-could-be/

Just Some Hog Dude
11-05-2017, 07:53 PM
I think our basketball and football programs have been ranked for like four weeks or so under his tenure. That is way below average for us. Firing Petrino and hiring Bielema shows he doesn't even have basic common sense.

No other program in the SEC would have done that. Nick Saban could get caught red handed murdering children and not get fired at Alabama.

The Zou
11-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Charles Barkley was successful, but was also clear: He wasn't your kids's role model. All this over a simple motorcycle accident...

Cuz
11-06-2017, 03:23 AM
I truly believe Arkansas deserves better. Time for the pitchforks and burning torches. WPS.

ECDawg78
11-06-2017, 07:51 AM
I think our basketball and football programs have been ranked for like four weeks or so under his tenure. That is way below average for us. Firing Petrino and hiring Bielema shows he doesn't even have basic common sense.

No other program in the SEC would have done that. Nick Saban could get caught red handed murdering children and not get fired at Alabama.

Charles Barkley was successful, but was also clear: He wasn't your kids's role model. All this over a simple motorcycle accident...

Saban has a higher moral character and would never have been stupid enough to pull the stunt that Petrino did. Petrino has always been a shady character and likely always will be....and at some point will likely implode at Louisville.

From what I remember, the university had no choice in the Petrino matter.

His firing is not the problem that Arkansas faces today.

Long's hiring of Bielema was a huge risk that has clearly not paid off, and it's not clear whether Long is capable of making a competent hire to get Arkansas back on proper footing.

Dawg in Dallas
11-06-2017, 09:00 AM
That article is brutal...

How many job openings will there be at years end?

ECDawg78
11-06-2017, 10:10 AM
That article is brutal...

How many job openings will there be at years end?

More than there's been in a long time.......

ugabrad
11-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Certainly more than there are elite coaches to fill them.

Herchel
11-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Petrino wasn't fired for playing hide the salami with a volleyball player. He was fired for using his influence to get her a job in the athletic department.

zud the hut
11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Petrino wasn't fired for playing hide the salami with a volleyball player. He was fired for using his influence to get her a job in the athletic department.
And the subsequent cover up and being an outright liar! Who wants to do business with a liar?

Just Some Hog Dude
11-07-2017, 03:36 AM
And the subsequent cover up and being an outright liar! Who wants to do business with a liar?

I suspect Petrino was fired because enough big boosters told Long to do that.

It was a stupid decision whoever made it. Hiring a replacement who was clearly not ready just made it all the worse.

Long didn't have the football background to figure out that Bielema was the apprentice of Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin and not ready for a job like ours. His performance in year five suggests he will never be ready.

We can get somebody better. CBB has performed well below our standards.

ECDawg78
11-08-2017, 10:03 AM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23231641_10160046013840355_7015664959954935485_n.j pg?oh=fcd9f57013e17ea89096f71ea66c9fac&oe=5A69D8A7

Bubba
11-08-2017, 08:50 PM
no good coach is gonna come to Arkansas.

We don’t have anything to offer that anyone else can’t match or won’t match. Arkansas is a big pay day into early retirement. Or career suicide. Coaching careers die at Arkansas.

We are not a football school. We re trying to get back to being a basketball school. Football just needs 8-9 wins a year to be a success. And I’m good with that. I have seen the light.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-08-2017, 10:21 PM

We don’t have anything to offer that anyone else can’t match or won’t match. Arkansas is a big pay day into early retirement. Or career suicide. Coaching careers die at Arkansas.

We are not a football school. We re trying to get back to being a basketball school. Football just needs 8-9 wins a year to be a success. And I’m good with that. I have seen the light.

Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino all had a lot of success at Arkansas.

zud the hut
11-09-2017, 08:15 AM

The light that you see is not something that I see. In recent times, Petrino, while his ethics are questionable. lead you to the Sugar Bowl and national prominence. So, it can be done.

I think the real question is, can Arkansas administration find the coach that fits Arkansas. Can they recruit a coach that will take them higher. I don't buy the baloney that says it can't happen at Arkansas. The administration has to be capable enough to find him.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-09-2017, 08:24 AM
The light that you see is not something that I see. In recent times, Petrino, while his ethics are questionable. lead you to the Sugar Bowl and national prominence. So, it can be done.

I think the real question is, can Arkansas administration find the coach that fits Arkansas. Can they recruit a coach that will take them higher. I don't buy the baloney that says it can't happen at Arkansas. The administration has to be capable enough to find him.

Houston Nutt was hired by a committee of ex-players, administrators, boosters etc. Maybe they will do it like that. Nutt won the SECW two times so a little more democracy didn't go too badly.

I think Long is more of a businessman/fundraiser than a football guy. He couldn't tell Bielema was the apprentice of Alvarez and not ready for this.

ECDawg78
11-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Long has Arkansas last in SEC in graduation rates, too

By Andy Hodges - November 8, 2017

At a time when the football program is in crisis, Jeff Long’s supporters have talked about how he was brought in to improve academics.

While the university put out a press release Wednesday touting the school record graduation rate, that’s only a small amount of the actual truth.

It’s dead last in the SEC.

Which means Long’s touting academics as a priority over wins and losses in football sounded like a reasonable argument, the fact is Arkansas is doing about as well in that as in football wins and losses.

Here are the latest numbers, released by the NCAA on Wednesday:

• Vanderbilt 96%
• South Carolina 93%
• Missouri 91%
• LSU, Mississippi State, Alabama 90%
• Kentucky, Tennessee 85%
• Ole Miss 84%
• Florida, Georgia 83%
• Auburn 82%
• Texas A&M 81%
• Arkansas 80%

The fact of the matter that was pointed out to me by someone recently was every school in the NCAA has seen an increase in graduation rates because, well, the NCAA has mandated it.

Arkansas just hasn’t improved as much as everyone else.

There have been a growing number of disgruntled boosters, ex-athletes and others that have said for years that many claims and statements from Long and his minions are half-truths, misleading and only giving part of the information.

It makes you wonder if the UA Board of Trustees should have listened to former Sen. David Pryor a couple of years ago when he publicly questioned Long’s claim of a need for new luxury suites in the north end zone in Fayetteville.

You know, the one that has the stadium under construction at a cost over $160 million (that has had some questioning how it was handled from a fiscal standpoint) while adding about 3,500 seats for folks willing to spend a lot of money.

The questions for Long continue.

And more evidence for the growing number of people that want a change not only in the guy at the top of the football program, but the athletic department as a whole.

Which makes the next month or so even more interesting.

http://hitthatline.com/long-has-arkansas-last-in-sec-in-graduation-rates-too/

Just Some Hog Dude
11-09-2017, 11:28 AM
I will believe Long is in trouble when the Arkansas media starts writing stuff like that. This blog stuff doesn't mean much.

ECDawg78
11-09-2017, 11:31 AM
I will believe Long is in trouble when the Arkansas media starts writing stuff like that. This blog stuff doesn't mean much.

I hear that the BOT's meeting that wraps up today could tell the tale on Long and Curly.........

Bubba
11-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino all had a lot of success at Arkansas.

Everyone of them except Frank was FIRED. So now my point has been emphasized. We fire our most successful coaches.

ECDawg78
11-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Everyone of them except Frank was FIRED. So now my point has been emphasized. We fire our most successful coaches.

There's another Frank Broyles type coach out there to be found.........Arkansas has to put the team together to go out and find him.

Herchel
11-10-2017, 09:03 AM
I met Hatfield when he was recruiting my son at Clemson. He's a great guy.

Dr.SwineSmeller
11-10-2017, 09:50 AM
I met Hatfield when he was recruiting my son at Clemson. He's a great guy.

My dad was a big Hatfield fan, and he never like Broyles for a single day after he fired Kenny. Dad co-owned a food brokerage in Little Rock that called on Affiliated Foods warehouse back then, and Affiliated was a big sponsor of Kenny. Mom and dad went on an Affiliated paid trip to Alaska with Kenny and about 30 other folks tied to Affiliated when Kenny was coach. Dad said Kenny was genuine good people.

Dr.SwineSmeller
11-10-2017, 09:51 AM
As for Long and Beilema, Yankees go home!

Go over to Hogville.net and you can get the scoop on what the fans think of Long. If they could fire only Long or Beilema one, Long would be the goner.

This poll won out with FIRE BOTH>

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=646112.0;viewresults

Dr.SwineSmeller
11-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Bubba, you hit the nail on the head with two simple words in a post I remember well back on the very moment it was announced that Jeff Long fired Bobby Petrino...

You simply stated, "It's over".

The we didn't hear from you for about a solid year.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-10-2017, 10:32 AM

I don't think Ken Hatfield was fired. I think he quit because he could not get along with Broyles.

Nutt was fired but he was replaced by Petrino so it was an upgrade.

Bielema doesn't deserve to be the head coach here. He got five years and he failed to meet the performance standard.

It would be silly to keep a coach like him when there are better coaches out there who want the job.

Dawg in Dallas
11-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Long has been fired according to multiple reports...

Really Big Bama Fan
11-15-2017, 11:02 AM
I don't think Ken Hatfield was fired. I think he quit because he could not get along with Broyles.

Nutt was fired but he was replaced by Petrino so it was an upgrade.

Bielema doesn't deserve to be the head coach here. He got five years and he failed to meet the performance standard.

It would be silly to keep a coach like him when there are better coaches out there who want the job.
I think y'all should give Coach Bielema more time to recruit players that fit his system; at least three more seasons...

Just Some Hog Dude
11-15-2017, 11:21 AM
I think y'all should give Coach Bielema more time to recruit players that fit his system; at least three more seasons...

e-chuckle

Just Some Hog Dude
11-15-2017, 11:31 AM
My dad was a big Hatfield fan, and he never like Broyles for a single day after he fired Kenny. Dad co-owned a food brokerage in Little Rock that called on Affiliated Foods warehouse back then, and Affiliated was a big sponsor of Kenny. Mom and dad went on an Affiliated paid trip to Alaska with Kenny and about 30 other folks tied to Affiliated when Kenny was coach. Dad said Kenny was genuine good people.

Again, I am pretty sure he quit.

Hatfield had a somewhat frosty relationship with longtime Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles, even though Broyles had been his coach during his playing days. Broyles had a reputation for being very hands-on with the football program he had built into a national power as head coach from 1958 to 1976. As good as Hatfield's last two Razorback teams had been, he lost several recruits after 1987 when rival coaches claimed he was in Broyles' doghouse. When Broyles signed a new five-year contract in early 1990, Hatfield left for Clemson University without even visiting the campus. Later, when Hatfield was asked if Broyles had been a factor in his abrupt departure from Fayetteville, he replied, "His name is on the (athletics) building down there. Let that be my answer."[1] Ironically, the coach Hatfield succeeded at Clemson, Danny Ford, would eventually become the Razorbacks' coach in 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Hatfield

ECDawg78
11-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Arkansas releases official statement on the parting of ways with AD Jeff Long

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-releases-official-statement-parting-ways-ad-jeff-long

Dawgilicious
11-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Seriously,

What are Arkansas' expectations for Football? I get they are upset with the season this year and maybe there are other things going around in the program that we are all unaware of, but we see it all the time, firing coaches so quickly. Are they expecting to compete on the level of Alabama every year? Seems strange to just tear everything up now. Maybe someone with more ties to Arkansas can elaborate more on this

Just Some Hog Dude
11-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Seriously,

What are Arkansas' expectations for Football? I get they are upset with the season this year and maybe there are other things going around in the program that we are all unaware of, but we see it all the time, firing coaches so quickly. Are they expecting to compete on the level of Alabama every year? Seems strange to just tear everything up now. Maybe someone with more ties to Arkansas can elaborate more on this

Bielema has been a historically bad coach at Arkansas. He has had us ranked for like four weeks of his five year tenure here. No we are not Alabama and UGA is not either but we are a lot better than this crap.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/rankings/all_time_team_rankings.php

joehogjoe
11-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Seriously,

My expectation is never to win a national title that requires a lot of luck. Its to win 9 to 10 games a season and twice a decade to be in contention for a shot at the title. But realistically at this point I expect another two to three year rebuild.

We have a lot of solid pieces but we have a bad offensive line coach. Wont miss his fat as$ after next week.

Realistic expectations. Win almost all home games. Beat Bama every 3rd or 4th year. Split with aubbie
We should almost always beat the F-aggies, Beat Om 7 out of 10 years, same with MSU. Never lose to Vandy-and UK. Beat Sc most years.
Not everything in CBB tenure was bad. We broke the Florida curse with a can of as$whoop, beat tn at knox. Beating Texas is-always good even if they-suck and we're mediocre.

ECDawg78
11-16-2017, 09:02 AM
My expectation is never to win a national title that requires a lot of lunch. Its to win 9 to 10 games a season and twice a decade to be in contention for a shot at the title. But realistically at this point I expect another two to three year rebuild.

We have a lot of solid pieces but we have a bad offensive line coach. Wont miss his fat as$ after next week.

Realistic expectations. Win almost all home games. Beat Bama every 3rd or 4th year. Split with aubbie
We should almost always beat the F-aggies, Beat Om 7 out of 10 years, same with MSU. Never lose to Vandy-and UK. Beat Sc most years.
Not everything in CBB tenure was bad. We broke the Florida curse with a can of as$whoop, beat tn at knox. Beating Texas is-always good even if they-suck and we're mediocre.

Joe, you've got to have a much more committed administration, the right AD, and in addition and most importantly the right guy in place to build and run the program long term....if you expect any of your above stated expectations to be realized.

You all need another Broyles.....and I don't know if there's another one out there willing to come to Arkansas at present.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Joe, you've got to have a much more committed administration, the right AD, and in addition and most importantly the right guy in place to build and run the program long term....if you expect any of your above stated expectations to be realized.

You all need another Broyles.....and I don't know if there's another one out there willing to come to Arkansas at present.

We had a Hall of Fame coach in Petrino and dumb dumb Long fired him and hired the guy with a below .500 record that we have now. That is why Long got fired. Hopefully we can get lucky again. We have had several good coaches so maybe we will.

joehogjoe
11-16-2017, 01:59 PM
We had a Hall of Fame coach in Petrino and dumb dumb Long fired him and hired the guy with a below .500 record that we have now. That is why Long got fired. Hopefully we can get lucky again. We have had several good coaches so maybe we will.

Petrino is not hall of fame. Hall of shame yes.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-16-2017, 02:17 PM

He is headed that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Petrino#Head_coaching_record

I am not trying to claim he is also America's Sweetheart or something. The guy can coach football though.

joehogjoe
11-16-2017, 06:01 PM
No evidence of it this year.

Dawgilicious
11-16-2017, 06:33 PM
I think Petrino got himself fired, not much Long could do about that. He really had no choice but to fire him.

Bubba
11-17-2017, 01:51 PM
This times infinity.

zud the hut
11-17-2017, 02:23 PM
I can't say that Bielema is a bad coach. Didn't he go to the Rose Bowl 3 straight times?

Either his style of football doesn't fit the SEC or he did a poor job of implementing it. And Arkansas was not the place for him to do it. The truth is that if he signed the 4* and 5* prospects to get the big uglies and skill players that he needed Arkansas is not the state to do that in. Playing Alabama and saying "Stop me, here we come" just doesn't work for anyone!

Dawg in Dallas
11-17-2017, 02:55 PM
I can't say that Bielema is a bad coach. Didn't he go to the Rose Bowl 3 straight times?

Yes. JSHD used to tell us that on a daily basis.

joehogjoe
11-17-2017, 05:01 PM
He was a good coach in the Big 10 plus 2, but in the SEC not so much, except for OM,

Just Some Hog Dude
11-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Barry Alvarez was the real coach at Wisconsin back then. Bielema was merely his apprentice. He was a good coach with Alvarez right there to give him advice everyday. He is not so hot without that. That is what we have learned.

One reason Jeff Long got fired is because he was not savvy enough to realize that truth when he hired him.