Butch now can be fired for cause with no buyout? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Butch now can be fired for cause with no buyout?

dnmuga93
11-01-2017, 11:45 AM
It has been alleged that UT played a player exhibiting concussion-like symptoms for 2 quarters Saturday against Kentucky.

Not in the article, but I read elsewhere that Kendrick was clearly wobbly on the field and appeared not to realize the ball had been snapped on more than one occasion. I watched only the tail end of the game, so I can't comment. Anybody who watched most of the game care to shed more light on this?

This is not a good look.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/brett-kendrick-concussion-tennessee-john-currie-butch-jones

Herchel
11-01-2017, 11:57 AM
https://thereadoptional.com/source-butch-jones-tennessee-played-player-with-concussion-in-loss-to-kentucky-1497e5b70938

BearBryant
11-01-2017, 01:36 PM
I am by no means an athletic director, but I have been around this conference long enough to see what is going on at Tennessee.

John Currie is clearly doing everything in his power to make sure Butch Jones is the head coach in 2018. Every other SEC program would have fired Butch after the South Carolina loss.

The Kendrick "concussion" report will not harm Jones. If it does come out to be true, then the blame will be put on the SEC medical assistant on the sideline, not Butch.

Jimmy Sexton is a great guy, I have met him, this does not seem like a Sexton exit plan. Jimmy would not make a deal with an Athletic Department, if they were going to allow the client to stay.

I have seen the reports stating that Sexton has been working on a buyout for Jones for 4 weeks. I don't believe that for one second.

rstew3
11-01-2017, 09:18 PM
As much as some may want this to be put on Butch to get him fired, it’s just not going to happen. During a game, unless the player exhibits medical issues right in front of the Head Coach, so obvious there is no way the HC could not be aware, there is no way the HC can be blamed. The medical staff has final authority on whether a player plays. The position coaches are actively watching the players in game, and communicating on the sideline. The head coach is supposed to be calling the game, not the players.

Unless it comes out that coaches knew, made Butch aware, and then Butch somehow over road the call from medical staff, there’s nothing here to pin on jones. That’s a very unlikely scenario.

Now back to that in game coaching..... there’s enough reason to release jones right there. And further, his strategy in games is causing heart conditions across the state. He’s putting fans lives in jeopardy via high blood pressure and alcohol poisoning.

rstew3
11-01-2017, 09:19 PM
As much as some may want this to be put on Butch to get him fired, itís just not going to happen. During a game, unless the player exhibits medical issues right in front of the Head Coach, so obvious there is no way the HC could not be aware, there is no way the HC can be blamed. The medical staff has final authority on whether a player plays. The position coaches are actively watching the players in game, and communicating on the sideline. The head coach is supposed to be calling the game, not the players.

Unless it comes out that coaches knew, made Butch aware, and then Butch somehow over road the call from medical staff, thereís nothing here to pin on jones. Thatís a very unlikely scenario.

Now back to that in game coaching..... thereís enough reason to release jones right there. And further, his strategy in games is causing heart conditions across the state. Heís putting fans lives in jeopardy via high blood pressure and alcohol poisoning.

ugabrad
11-01-2017, 11:14 PM
There is one way that such an instance could be placed on the head coach even if he was unaware of that player's injury during the game. That would be if the HC had created an atmosphere within the program that encouraged the medical staff to ignore possible injuries in the desire to keep bodies on the playing field. I realize that is more of an old school philosophy, but - not saying that it is the case here at all - it is conceivable in big time college football.

dnmuga93
11-02-2017, 08:50 AM
As much as some may want this to be put on Butch to get him fired, it’s just not going to happen. During a game, unless the player exhibits medical issues right in front of the Head Coach, so obvious there is no way the HC could not be aware, there is no way the HC can be blamed. The medical staff has final authority on whether a player plays. The position coaches are actively watching the players in game, and communicating on the sideline. The head coach is supposed to be calling the game, not the players.

Unless it comes out that coaches knew, made Butch aware, and then Butch somehow over road the call from medical staff, there’s nothing here to pin on jones. That’s a very unlikely scenario.

Now back to that in game coaching..... there’s enough reason to release jones right there. And further, his strategy in games is causing heart conditions across the state. He’s putting fans lives in jeopardy via high blood pressure and alcohol poisoning.

I agree completely. No way Butch could or should know about it. It's definitely more on the medical staff at this point.

I will say it has also been alleged that the OL coach was telling Kendrick that they "needed him" to play since his backup did not make the travel roster. Also not a good look if true.

zud the hut
11-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm just wondering if Butch will be the head coach when LSU comes to Knoxville?

BearBryant
11-02-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm just wondering if Butch will be the head coach when LSU comes to Knoxville?

If they lose to Southern Miss, then no. But if they beat Southern Miss, then he will be there until the end of the season.