The 2017 Coaching Carousel [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : The 2017 Coaching Carousel

BearBryant
10-26-2017, 01:42 PM
The hot seats are boiling. It has been a long time since we have seen this level of coaching controversy; especially in the SEC. We are in for one interesting post-season.
I'm going to share a quick opinion piece on who I think ends up where, and also which coaches survive the heat. What do you all think?

New Coach
Tennessee - Jeff Brohm
Arkansas - Gus Malzahn
Nebraska - Scott Frost
UCLA - Chip Kelly
Kansas - Brent Venables
Ole Miss - Les Miles
Auburn - Greg Schiano
Oregon State - Mike Bobo

Survives the Heat
Barry Odom (Missouri)
Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)
Jim McElwain (Florida)
Coach O (LSU)
Mark Stoops (Kentucky)
Jim Harbaugh (Michigan)
Todd Graham (Arizona State)

GatorMan32
10-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Mac is gone.

GatorMan32
10-26-2017, 04:49 PM
BTW Coach O is off the hot seat after UF and AU.

Herchel
10-26-2017, 04:52 PM
What I don't want to see is Bobo to UT.

SavageOrangeJug
10-26-2017, 05:43 PM
That makes about 100,000 of us.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-27-2017, 01:27 AM
The Auburn hire looks kind of weird. Why him?

SavageOrangeJug
10-27-2017, 10:23 AM
New Coach
Tennessee - Jeff Brohm

You could be right, but let's hope not.

BearBryant
10-27-2017, 10:34 AM
The Auburn hire looks kind of weird. Why him?

He seems like a popular choice for many job openings, but he just doesn't fit the system. Auburn reminds me a lot of Ohio State. Schiano has been a defensive genius everywhere he has went. If you want to win the West, then you have to have a 5* defense. He also coaches strictly 4-3 base, which Auburn players are very familiar with. He did great things at Rutgers (11-2, 9-4, multiple Bowl appearances) and he has southern football coaching experience at Miami. He has history of coaching a mediocre college team, and the big boys in the NFL. It just makes sense to me to make him a head coach again. The SEC may not be the right place for him, but Auburn just seems to fit his defensive state of mind.

Herchel
10-27-2017, 11:03 AM
I think Mullen is the most overrated coach in the SEC. MSU will always be happy with 8-4, and he ain't leaving.

ECDawg78
10-27-2017, 11:22 AM

I think it would be a mistake for Bobo to take that job. It maybe the toughest place to succeed in the East, because he will be lucky to get a 3-4 year window.

ECDawg78
10-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Brent Venables is not going to throw his career away at Kansas......and Greg Schiano's inability to recruit in the South as needed makes his next step as going to Auburn unlikely at best.

Dawg in Dallas
10-27-2017, 12:31 PM
I think it would be a mistake for Bobo to take that job. It maybe the toughest place to succeed in the East, because he will be lucky to get a 3-4 year window.

Me to.

AS an SMU fn, I am glad to see Chad Morris isn't on the list of coaches to fill spots - though perhaps if Coach Bro gets canned, he could end up at Texas Tech.

SavageOrangeJug
10-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Me to.

AS an SMU fn, I am glad to see Chad Morris isn't on the list of coaches to fill spots - though perhaps if Coach Bro gets canned, he could end up at Texas Tech.

I do not know why y'all think UT would even want Bobo?

The only way Bobo winds up at UT is if the first 6 or 7 guys offered say no.

He inherited a 10 win team and went 7-6 back to back.

BearBryant
10-27-2017, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I agree with Jug. Bobo has a great team, don't get me wrong, but I am just not sure if anyone should go after him just yet. I think Bobo needs another year at CO State. His record is too iffy for big schools.

He is a great offensive coordinator. So, let's say he does get a 2nd level job (Oregon State), if that doesn't work within the his first few years, then he may go back to Georgia as a OC.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-27-2017, 04:38 PM
He seems like a popular choice for many job openings, but he just doesn't fit the system. Auburn reminds me a lot of Ohio State. Schiano has been a defensive genius everywhere he has went. If you want to win the West, then you have to have a 5* defense. He also coaches strictly 4-3 base, which Auburn players are very familiar with. He did great things at Rutgers (11-2, 9-4, multiple Bowl appearances) and he has southern football coaching experience at Miami. He has history of coaching a mediocre college team, and the big boys in the NFL. It just makes sense to me to make him a head coach again. The SEC may not be the right place for him, but Auburn just seems to fit his defensive state of mind.

You have really put some thought into this.

Dawg in Dallas
10-27-2017, 05:33 PM

I don't know if he is ready either, but that 2014 team that won 10 games had Bama transfer Dee Hart at running back - rushed for over 1200 yards, and Senior Garret Grayson at QB who is the schools all time leader in total yards, holding 13 school records. He was also drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL draft.

So the team that Bobo inherited was not a exactly a 10 win team - they lost two very significant pieces on offense.

But if I were Bobo, I would stay put and try to prove himself. Colorado state is an ideal place to hone your skills.

ECDawg78
10-27-2017, 08:16 PM

I don't think UT would want Bobo either.......but Dooley ended up at UT post Kiffin after at least 3 or 4 turned the job down.

Bobo took over a depleted squad at CSU......a lot of starters went out the door when Mac left for UF.