Okm Gators...let's say Mac is fired [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Okm Gators...let's say Mac is fired

SavageOrangeJug
10-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Who do you go after?

Herchel
10-24-2017, 05:02 PM
I should interject that Vinnie was bragging about Mac winning the East in his first two years. We should get Vinnie's take.

GatorMan32
10-24-2017, 05:14 PM
I mean he's a mediocre coach and won the East. That's no bueno for you all lol

I have a good idea of whose on the short list do I need to abstain.

ECDawg78
10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
I should interject that Vinnie was bragging about Mac winning the East in his first two years. We should get Vinnie's take.

Jimmy Hoffa has been visible more lately than Vinnie.......

SavageOrangeJug
10-24-2017, 06:22 PM

Butch? Bert? The Old Ball Sack? Charlie Strong?

zud the hut
10-24-2017, 06:24 PM

Spill the beans!

Just Some Hog Dude
10-24-2017, 06:34 PM
The Gators are targeting Chip Kelly.

SavageOrangeJug
10-24-2017, 06:38 PM
The Gators are targeting Chip Kelly.
I hope they get him instead of Tennessee.

He left Oregon on probation, a loss of scholarships, and an 18 month show cause on his head. Plus, he will bolt for the first NFL paycheck he is offered.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-24-2017, 07:07 PM
I hope they get him instead of Tennessee.

He left Oregon on probation, a loss of scholarships, and an 18 month show cause on his head. Plus, he will bolt for the first NFL paycheck he is offered.

He has probably soured on the NFL and Florida is one of the easiest places to recruit to so that pain in the butt aspect of the job isn't as nearly bad as most places. That is probably what he didn't like about college ball.

Seems like he would be a good fit down there. I am not surprised his name is being mentioned for the job. They want offense bad and that is his specialty.

GatorMan32
10-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Butch? Bert? The Old Ball Sack? Charlie Strong?im not even sure who Bert is. what am I missing there?

GatorMan32
10-24-2017, 08:03 PM
The Gators are targeting Chip Kelly.I've heard his name mentioned, though with mixed feedback. He's, I am pretty sure, on the list. I am sure Strong is, too. There are a couple of guys most would not guess. One I am really hoping for.

SavageOrangeJug
10-24-2017, 08:13 PM
im not even sure who Bert is. what am I missing there?
Jen's Burt.

SavageOrangeJug
10-24-2017, 08:14 PM
I've heard his name mentioned, though with mixed feedback. He's, I am pretty sure, on the list. I am sure Strong is, too. There are a couple of guys most would not guess. One I am really hoping for.
Stoops isn't coming.

Bama_Man
10-24-2017, 08:33 PM
I think Stoops is more likely for the UF job as opposed to the potential UT job bc of the history he has there, but not sure Stoops will ever come back.
Not really sold on Strong either, he was a disaster at Texas.

Dr.SwineSmeller
10-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Jen's Burt.

We will pay them to take Burt Beilema.

GatorMan32
10-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Stoops isn't coming.yeah he wasn't it.

Btw apparently Mac will try to backtrack tomorrow and say there were no death threats. He's twisting in the wind.

rstew3
10-24-2017, 09:46 PM
I could see UF bringing back Strong, or making a strong push for Mullen. I’d take either of those over Butch at this point.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kiffin land the UF or UT job.

rstew3
10-24-2017, 09:47 PM
I could see UF bringing back Strong, or making a strong push for Mullen. Iíd take either of those over Butch at this point.

I wouldnít be shocked to see Kiffin land the UF or UT job.

IllinoisDawg63
10-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Scott Frost currently at UCF...one possibility...though he likely may be going to his Alma mater Nebraska.

GR8NESS
10-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Stoops isn't coming.

They can have him. I’ll take my chances with Neal Brown.

Really Big Bama Fan
10-25-2017, 12:30 AM

Art Briles?

GatorMan32
10-25-2017, 06:29 AM
They can have him. Iíll take my chances with Neal Brown.He meant Bob.

RBBF, Briles isn't a name I've heard. I would highly doubt it.

Dawg in Dallas
10-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Jimmy Hoffa has been visible more lately than Vinnie.......

He spends more time on twitter, and has a historical picture Instagram account that has quite a few followers.

SavageOrangeJug
10-25-2017, 08:01 AM
They can have him. Iíll take my chances with Neal Brown.
Big brother Bob.

SavageOrangeJug
10-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Spill it, GM.

Who do you think is UF's top target and who else is on the short list?

Dawg in Dallas
10-25-2017, 08:18 AM
Would they consider going out on a limb and taking someone without a long pedigree? Maybe Jeff Brohm? I doubt it and he would probably be better at Kentucky, but I think that guy might be worth a look.

Herchel
10-25-2017, 08:57 AM
I hear UT and UF are fighting over Brady Hoke.

SavageOrangeJug
10-25-2017, 09:10 AM
I hear UT and UF are fighting over Brady Hoke.
You might want to cultivate some new sources.

GatorMan32
10-25-2017, 10:32 AM
What SOJ said. Given the guy I think is number 1 is at a significant job, though not top tier level, I can't really post about it. I'm sure Chip is on there. Heard CS might not be but not sure I buy that. Frost has been mentioned. My fear with him is more on the job training at a major D1 level.

ugabrad
10-25-2017, 11:14 AM
He spends more time on twitter, and has a historical picture Instagram account that has quite a few followers.

He also runs an historical picture account on Facebook.

But it is Georgia-Florida week and he is usually here to abuse us Dawg fans at this time of the year - so I can only expect that he is lying low due to the differences in the team's seasons. However, if the Gators pull off the upset you can expect he will be here quickly to rub it in... that's our Vinny.

GatorMan32
10-25-2017, 12:25 PM
He dug his hole deeper. Mac is a moron.

BearBryant
10-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Dan Mullen?

Herchel
10-25-2017, 02:31 PM
From 247

Going to share this despite the fact I don't usually engage in this kind of "source said" stuff. Sharing because I love my university that has given me multiple degrees, a platform as a writer and a lawyer and because I don't want to see her embarrassed.

Unfortunately, that's where we are at and after today's teleconference, it's almost at John L. Smith levels. It started with the "I'm going to burst into tears" interviews against UT and UK and has spiraled sideways from there.

So here goes.

That the QB club is pissed goes without saying.

The rest of this is almost certainly less well-known.

Spent the weekend with and then went to dinner with my sister, her father-in-law, my brother-in-law and my wife while "death threats" story brewed Monday night. I won't use the name b/c even with VIPs the usernames encourage anonymity, but I'll say this- sister's father-in-law has name on athletic things. That should be enough for you to get how serious this is.

These observations came from his mouth, not my eyes.

1. Almost to a woman and man, the high-level boosters- Bull Gators, Varsity Club,06' Club basketball people- they adore and love Karen McElwain. That said, very few enjoy Jim, even if he goes out of his way to do things like wait by planes to thank them for coming and things like that at road games;

2. McElwain does not admit to feeling underappreciated by the administration, but does feel he's been unappreciated and undervalued by the UAA and Stricklin in particular, who has been around his office less and less this month. A specific example given was Mac feels he deserves credit for dragging Foley and the administration forward on facilities. Mac also believes genuinely facilities are why his first two recruiting classes weren't up to standard. He points to 18 and 19 as evidence;

3. McElwain is annoyed with the media, save one or two journalists he trusts, and thinks they have never liked him. My sister's father in-law indicated he thinks this is paranoia- says Urban- who he is close to still-used to get into it with reporters but at least he answered everybody's questions. Apparently these high-level boosters think he should be more transparent with everyone;

4. Muschamp had a great second year as well and then fell off, and as such, Scott Stricklin isn't as worried about Kirby Smart right now. But he does sense that this is a year where Florida MUST beat FSU. Verbatim quote from Stricklin to this booster was lose FSU and "all bets absolutely off";

5. Two big Bull Gators with names on buildings blame Mac for Cally- argue that if he had dismissed Cally after the weed thing the suspensions don't happen. Suggested Smith never gets everyone on board w/o Cally- most high-level boosters get what the suspensions have done to the football team- uses punt coverage as example of how playing down 18 scholarships crushes you- says it lost A & M game for sure;

6. After a couple glasses of wine, He says it's "huge" that Mike White's brother is the AD at UCF- says that's "not lost on us" and they are "well-aware" of Scott Frost, but also says many are high on three other coaches. Claims Stricklin was advised by Foley to keep a list and has done it and he knows the following four names are on it: Mullen, Frost, Dino Babers and Norvell. Says Campbell from Iowa State would be but Stricklin hates the buyout.

7.Was told that if and when Mac is fired that unless a veteran coach (Mullen only, maybe) is hired, Stricklin would ask new coach to retain Shannon as Associate Head Coach, even if he isn't DC. Randy Shannon likes Gainesville and President Fuchs loves Shannon because he graduates kids and is an excellent ambassador;

8. Was told buyout is a pain in the ass but you find the money if you need the money and there's other arguments for leverage;

9. Don't need to win this weekend but staying competitive would stall things;

10. If he gets to 3-5 it could happen before FSU but that is highly unlikely barring proof the death threat things is nonsense.

GR8NESS
10-25-2017, 02:34 PM
He meant Bob.

RBBF, Briles isn't a name I've heard. I would highly doubt it.
Sigh... I guess I should’ve used an emoji. :)

SavageOrangeJug
10-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Sigh... I guess I should’ve used an emoji. :)
:doh:

Hey...GM and I are getting older. Our reflexes are slowing down.

GatorMan32
10-25-2017, 04:20 PM
:doh:

Hey...GM and I are getting older. Our reflexes are slowing down.aint that the truth lol

GatorMan32
10-25-2017, 04:21 PM
From 247Theres a good amount of accuracy in there but I know people in that group, too. Norvell is not on the list. There are a couple not mentioned that are. Including my personal favorite.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Norvell is from Arkansas. I wonder if our boosters are looking at him. Word is Malzahn could dump Auburn for Arkansas as well.

GR8NESS
10-26-2017, 12:57 AM
What SOJ said. Given the guy I think is number 1 is at a significant job, though not top tier level, I can't really post about it. I'm sure Chip is on there. Heard CS might not be but not sure I buy that. Frost has been mentioned. My fear with him is more on the job training at a major D1 level.

Mike Gundy

SavageOrangeJug
10-26-2017, 08:31 AM
I predict the Gators will miss Jeremy Foley after this next hire.

GatorMan32
10-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Foley was great at hiring. He was hit and miss in football though. He went 2-for-5. He was the driving force behind Spurrier and hired Meyer. He also hired Zook, Chump and Mac.

GatorMan32
10-26-2017, 04:48 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/gainesville-columnist-gives-odds-jim-mcelwains-return-18/

2008 National Champions
10-29-2017, 10:53 PM

Currently sitting at 99,200! 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 National Champions
10-29-2017, 11:29 PM

Winning the East with that offense was quite the achievement. The problem is the offense is just getting worse. Itís good heís gone now. But Iím still happy he won the east a couple times. That was fun.

lz2112
10-30-2017, 12:10 AM
Winning the East with that offense was quite the achievement. The problem is the offense is just getting worse. It’s good he’s gone now. But I’m still happy he won the east a couple times. That was fun.

He will do well elsewhere, and I hope he does. This wasn't about wins or even death threats. He and the big money boosters and admin didn't get along.

I'm not happy about how this transpired, but hopefully it will be good for the program long term.

Naval Aviator
10-30-2017, 12:41 AM
I hera Dn Mullen is at the top of Florida's list. Makes sense. he does more with less than anyone else in the SEC.

Wish the Aggies could land him.

lz2112
10-30-2017, 01:01 AM
I hera Dn Mullen is at the top of Florida's list. Makes sense. he does more with less than anyone else in the SEC.

Wish the Aggies could land him.

That's my guess, Strickland loves him. Gator fans are rather cool about him though.

2008 National Champions
10-30-2017, 03:02 AM
Iím not super excited at the prospect. But if he can put up some damn points then Iím all for it.

Herchel
10-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Vinny:
Your sig is so last week.

GatorMan32
10-30-2017, 07:34 PM
It won't be Mullen. I'm fairly positive in that.

GR8NESS
10-31-2017, 12:08 AM
No comment on Mike Gundy? :P

2008 National Champions
10-31-2017, 01:25 AM
Vinny:
Your sig is so last week.

I use tapatalk on my phone I have no idea what my sig is. Assuming it has something to do with UGA. 😩

Dawg in Dallas
10-31-2017, 07:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/cbicLrZ.jpg?

That is your sig.

Herchel
10-31-2017, 08:42 AM
It won't be Mullen. I'm fairly positive in that.

Norvell?

GatorMan32
10-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Maybe but probably not the guy either. He's certainly on the short list. He received a huge endorsement from what I've heard. I think it comes down to 3-4 guys and he's one. Don't think Mullen is.

2008 National Champions
10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cbicLrZ.jpg?

That is your sig.

Beautiful photo tbh. 😊

Why did they stop doing the Blue - Red jerseys? I was liking that.

Also, was Georgia wearing all white? The pants didnt seem silver.

Iíve always been a big fan of Georgiaís white on silver look, but all white was pretty nice as well.

Herchel
10-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Beautiful photo tbh. ��

Why did they stop doing the Blue - Red jerseys? I was liking that.

Also, was Georgia wearing all white? The pants didnt seem silver.

I’ve always been a big fan of Georgia’s white on silver look, but all white was pretty nice as well.

UGA could have worn the red, but the seniors said they didn't deserve to until they beat UF. The pants are silver.

Bama_Man
10-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Maybe but probably not the guy either. He's certainly on the short list. He received a huge endorsement from what I've heard. I think it comes down to 3-4 guys and he's one. Don't think Mullen is.

Can you give us the most likely candidates?

2008 National Champions
10-31-2017, 07:48 PM
UGA could have worn the red, but the seniors said they didn't deserve to until they beat UF. The pants are silver.

Damn I could have sworn they were white. Maybe it was the tv i was watching it on or all the booze i was downing.

GR8NESS
10-31-2017, 08:49 PM
The silence on Gundy is deafening....

GatorMan32
11-01-2017, 07:02 AM
I would love Mike Gundy to be a real option but T Boone can match any dollar amount. Unless he wants out it's hard to believe it happens. I would be completely on board with this. What he could do with FL talent... it'd be fun. Especially with Matt Corral. He's not the guy I meant at a significant job but I believe he's someone who if interested would be interviewed. Stricklin has kept his circle extremely small on purpose to avoid major leaks. He's a very impressive guy. I am glad he's our AD.

GR8NESS
11-01-2017, 09:51 AM
I would love Mike Gundy to be a real option but T Boone can match any dollar amount. Unless he wants out it's hard to believe it happens. I would be completely on board with this. What he could do with FL talent... it'd be fun. Especially with Matt Corral. He's not the guy I meant at a significant job but I believe he's someone who if interested would be interviewed. Stricklin has kept his circle extremely small on purpose to avoid major leaks. He's a very impressive guy. I am glad he's our AD.

Damn. I was hoping your silence meant I was right. :P

Yeah, Stricklin is pretty good. I remember when he was our associate AD I wanted Mitch fired and him hired. :)

GR8NESS
11-01-2017, 09:51 AM
So Iíll keep the guessing going, with that said.

Willie Taggart?

zud the hut
11-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Stricklin appears to be intelligent and professional.

boxvic
11-01-2017, 10:37 AM
So I’ll keep the guessing going, with that said.

Willie Taggart?

Taggart has a helluva record of turning non-P5 programs around and in short order... but I think he needs another year or two at Oregon to really know if he can work the same magic at the P5 level.

Herchel
11-01-2017, 11:55 AM
How many successful P5 coaches would want the job? Gundy is an OK State alum. Christ is an alum. Shaw is an alum. I think it will be a successful mid major like Norvell. But UT may get him.

dnmuga93
11-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Vinny, I've read in multiple places that Mrs. Mullen ain't so keen on returning to Gainesvegas. Any truth to it from your sources?

I really don't know where UF turns. Frost is headed home to Nebraska, Strong doesn't excite the fanbase. It has to be an offensive minded coach doesn't it?

Really Big Bama Fan
11-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Vinny, I've read in multiple places that Mrs. Mullen ain't so keen on returning to Gainesvegas. Any truth to it from your sources?

I really don't know where UF turns. Frost is headed home to Nebraska, Strong doesn't excite the fanbase. It has to be an offensive minded coach doesn't it?

Offensive minded coach? Someone like Coach Bobby Petrino?

ECDawg78
11-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Whoever they bring in is going to have to allow input from the Ole' Ball Sack......

boxvic
11-01-2017, 01:33 PM
How many successful P5 coaches would want the job? Gundy is an OK State alum. Christ is an alum. Shaw is an alum. I think it will be a successful mid major like Norvell. But UT may get him.

Maybe it is just my bias from having so much exposure to other SEC teams like UF as a fan of a weaker team, but I see UF, UGA, 'Bama, Auburn, and LSU as five of the top 10 (obviously Alabama would be number one) programs in the country. It surprised me that LSU had so much trouble finding a coach. Florida is less than 10 years removed from winning a national title and is in one of the most talent rich states in the country.

I could see Gundy not leaking OK State because he is an alumni, but if he wasn't an alumni, surely he'd make that leap. You can win a national title at Florida; you are never winning a national title at OK State.

Herchel
11-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Maybe it is just my bias from having so much exposure to other SEC teams like UF as a fan of a weaker team, but I see UF, UGA, 'Bama, Auburn, and LSU as five of the top 10 (obviously Alabama would be number one) programs in the country. It surprised me that LSU had so much trouble finding a coach. Florida is less than 10 years removed from winning a national title and is in one of the most talent rich states in the country.

I could see Gundy not leaking OK State because he is an alumni, but if he wasn't an alumni, surely he'd make that leap. You can win a national title at Florida; you are never winning a national title at OK State.

Here are the current top 25 coaches.

1. Saban - He isn't leaving

2. Smart - He is an alum and isn't leaving

3. Meyer - LOL.

4. Christ - See Smart

5. Kelly - He's 56 and isn't leaving ND for UF.

6. Swinney. He is the next Bama coach.

7. Franklin - He's not leaving the Big Ten schedule for the SEC.

8. Riley - He's not leaving OU.

9. Richt - See Smart

10. Patterson - No chance

11. Gundy - See Smart

12. Peterson - No chance

13. Fuente - Maybe, does UF want him?

14. Campbell - He might

15. Frost - Headed to Nebraska.

16. Malzan - He might be available :)

17. Helton - He's from Gainesville and is the right age.

18. Shaw - See Smart

19. Orgeron - :ROTF:

20. Doeren - Maybe

21. Mullen - No chance

22. Norvell - He is a prime candidate

23. Richrod - Not a candidate

25. Leach - Would love that.

Really Big Bama Fan
11-01-2017, 04:14 PM
What About some of the former head coaches? Tuberville, Miles, Chizik, Brown, Neuheisel, etc.

GatorMan32
11-01-2017, 04:18 PM
What About some of the former head coaches? Tuberville, Miles, Chizik, Brown, Neuheisel, etc.no to all of those. none are even under consideration.

GatorMan32
11-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Here are the current top 25 coaches.

1. Saban - He isn't leaving

2. Smart - He is an alum and isn't leaving

3. Meyer - LOL.

4. Christ - See Smart

5. Kelly - He's 56 and isn't leaving ND for UF.

6. Swinney. He is the next Bama coach.

7. Franklin - He's not leaving the Big Ten schedule for the SEC.

8. Riley - He's not leaving OU.

9. Richt - See Smart

10. Patterson - No chance

11. Gundy - See Smart

12. Peterson - No chance

13. Fuente - Maybe, does UF want him?

14. Campbell - He might

15. Frost - Headed to Nebraska.

16. Malzan - He might be available :)

17. Helton - He's from Gainesville and is the right age.

18. Shaw - See Smart

19. Orgeron - :ROTF:

20. Doeren - Maybe

21. Mullen - No chance

22. Norvell - He is a prime candidate

23. Richrod - Not a candidate

25. Leach - Would love that.
A lot of that is well reasoned. There are a couple that would take UF if offered that you don't think would.

ECDawg78
11-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Winning the East with that offense was quite the achievement. The problem is the offense is just getting worse. It’s good he’s gone now. But I’m still happy he won the east a couple times. That was fun.

In 2015 & 2016, it was enough offense because you had the best defense by far in the division.

ECDawg78
11-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Georgia fans would love for it to be Gundy too.

Gundy is 2-12 vs OU, not a sterling resume against his biggest rival. One time in those 14 years, OU was held to less than 27 points. He is all about offense and defense is an afterthought, as it is for most schools in the Big 12.

Alabama has proven that defense still wins championships to a large degree. I would argue that the strong Gator defense enabled Florida to win the East the last two years. A Florida defense of the same quality this season probably gives you wins over Michigan, LSU and Texas A&M.....then this season looks entirely different.

Gundy can retire whenever he wants and probably get a statue of himself erected if he stays in Stillwater. If he comes to Gainesville or Knoxville and doesn't win the East in 3-4 years, he's out with nowhere to go. Gundy has it made where he is, where expectations will never rival what he would have to deal with at Florida or Tennessee.....and still a better chance to get in the playoff.

Losing to Iowa State on the road a couple of years ago kept them out of the final four, and put Alabama in.

I would love for it to happen.....that mullet of his would go well with some jean shorts....or some checkerboard overalls too.

He's a man, he's 50.....but I doubt at this point he would give up what he has to roll the dice in the SEC.

GatorMan32
11-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Vegas has adjusted their odds, heavily.

zud the hut
11-02-2017, 01:14 AM

The reason LSU had problems securing a coach was because of the LSU Administration. And I'm not just talking about Joe. However, most LSU fans want Joe fired!

Herchel
11-02-2017, 09:57 AM
A lot of that is well reasoned. There are a couple that would take UF if offered that you don't think would.
Which ones?