Who will be the 1st SEC Head Coach to be Fired? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the 1st SEC Head Coach to be Fired?

BamaHoHo
09-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Who will be the 1st SEC Head Coach to be Fired and how soon?

rstew3
09-30-2017, 11:27 PM
You think we could get Hugh Freeze to loan his Rolodex to Butch?

Dr.SwineSmeller
10-01-2017, 12:50 AM
Butch. Late November.

Just Some Hog Dude
10-01-2017, 12:54 AM
I guess Butch Jones unless he has a stupid buyout too. I wonder what Orgeron's contract is like.

Cuz
10-01-2017, 12:57 AM
Butch gets fired on Monday. You heard it here first. Or second. Or third. Or, just forget about it

GR8NESS
10-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Butch.

SavageOrangeJug
10-01-2017, 09:21 AM
I guess Butch Jones unless he has a stupid buyout too. I wonder what Orgeron's contract is like.
He does. $9.2 million.

It doesn't matter. He is gone.

Really Big Bama Fan
10-01-2017, 10:29 AM
He does. $9.2 million.

Y'all still have Phat Phil waiting in the wings. Toss him once more into to breach.

ECDawg78
10-01-2017, 10:41 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22046945_1953441404903936_5889677596152214137_n.jp g?oh=a958521241e12754e874b55d44959940&oe=5A43161C

SavageOrangeJug
10-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Y'all still have Phat Phil waiting in the wings. Toss him once more into to breach.
If we did that you might have more boosters go to prison.

Then you would have to have them murdered like y'all did Logan Young.

We're trying to look out for the health of your cheati...er...distinguished boosters.

It's really just a public service to Alabama. We're like that. :zip:

ECDawg78
10-01-2017, 10:45 AM

I would highly doubt that Fulmer would return and again face Tennessee fans' unrealistic expectations.

His time has long passed......

SavageOrangeJug
10-01-2017, 10:47 AM
I would highly doubt that Fulmer would return and again face Tennessee fans' unrealistic expectations.

His time has long passed......
His time passed about 5 years before they fired him.

ECDawg78
10-01-2017, 10:52 AM
His time passed about 5 years before they fired him.

You guys needed to have the right man ready to replace Fulmer before making the move.

The last 10 years have been spent trying to deal with and recover from that mistake.

SavageOrangeJug
10-01-2017, 10:54 AM
You guys needed to have the right man ready to replace Fulmer before making the move.

The last 10 years have been spent trying to deal with and recover from that mistake.
I agree 100%.

Patterson at TCU interviewed and thought he had the job.

Mike Hamilton hired Lane Kiffin. :facepalm:

Bama_Man
10-01-2017, 10:58 AM

Jones buyout is like $9.3mil. Reasonable.

ECDawg78
10-01-2017, 11:01 AM
I agree 100%.

Patterson at TCU interviewed and thought he had the job.

Mike Hamilton hired Lane Kiffin. :facepalm:

IMO, Tennessee's head coach and staff MUST be outstanding recruiters of talent in various regions around the country; Tennessee is at a recruiting disadvantage due to the much less available quantity of quality talent in state....and due to all the competitive programs nearby that recruit against them.

Butch has recruited better than Dooley no doubt, but he has to improve greatly in that area if he's going to survive and thrive.

SavageOrangeJug
10-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Butch has recruited better than Dooley no doubt, but he has to improve greatly in that area if he's going to survive and thrive.
Survive where?

Butch just bought a ticket from White Star Lines. He is taking a cruise aboard the Titantic.

However, I'm sure he will do fine at his next Ohio Valley Conference stop.

ECDawg78
10-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Survive where?

Butch just bought a ticket from White Star Lines. He is taking a cruise aboard the Titantic.

However, I'm sure he will do fine at his next Ohio Valley Conference stop.

You're hoping he's done. If the right man to follow him is not in place beforehand, 10 years could turn into 20.

That's the unrealistic expectations I was referring to earlier.....

AlienBeans
10-01-2017, 12:48 PM
If we did that you might have more boosters go to prison.

Then you would have to have them murdered like y'all did Logan Young.

We're trying to look out for the health of your cheati...er...distinguished boosters.

It's really just a public service to Alabama. We're like that. :zip:

No truer words have ever been spoken. REP OWED (it won't let me) Classic

Cuz
10-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Butch gets fired on Monday. You heard it here first. Or second. Or third. Or, just forget about it

Another after midnight post. The worse thing is I do not remember them. Heavy crap I take just to sleep. Then I wake up three hours later.

ugabrad
10-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Another after midnight post. The worse thing is I do not remember them. Heavy crap I take just to sleep. Then I wake up three hours later.

Maybe you need to put a keyboard lock on your computer?

Cuz
10-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Maybe you need to put a keyboard lock on your computer?

Nah, some of the stuff I post is funny. I apologize for the rest.

tampacajun
10-02-2017, 12:29 AM
Orgeron's buyout is $12 million....he's staying put. Now the A.D. could be a different story

Just Some Hog Dude
10-02-2017, 02:30 AM
He does. $9.2 million.

You guys are lucky. It doesn't look like our boosters are willing to show Bielema the door. I think his buyout is like 20 million though.

Really Big Bama Fan
10-02-2017, 12:30 PM
No truer words have ever been spoken. REP OWED (it won't let me) Classic
Barners and Viles. Yes, classic. It was the brilliant Viles on the Memphis police force who determined that Logan Young committed suicide by throwing himself down stairs and then dragging his bloodied body back up the stairs and into his bed, before he could defend himself against all the allegations. Tennessee was actually a decent rival back before Johnny Majors was stabbed in the back by Phat Phil.

Herchel
10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Everyone is overlooking Barry Odum.

As for UT, Mike Bobo is your man. Good coach and fantastic recruiter.

Herchel
10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Everyone is overlooking Barry Odum.

Really Big Bama Fan
10-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Art Briles would be the man to get them back to dominance in the annual Fulmer Cup.

zud the hut
10-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Art Briles would be the man to get them back to dominance in the annual Fulmer Cup.
LOL! But, nobody's gonna hire that guy. He ruined his career.

Bama_Man
10-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Bobo would be a fanastic hire.

Cuz
10-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Bobo would be an awful fit. He looks terrible in Vol colors. Anyplace other than that. Okay anyplace but the SEC east. Bobo would be awesome at LSU or ATM.

ugabrad
10-02-2017, 08:36 PM
I wonder if UT is gun shy on hiring any former assistants from UGA?

Cuz
10-02-2017, 08:37 PM

I hope so.

Herchel
10-03-2017, 08:32 AM
I don't think Dooley ever coached at UGA.

ECDawg78
10-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Inside of a Tennessee grocery store........lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLJjzrWV4AcGZKt.jpg

rstew3
10-03-2017, 01:11 PM
If UT were to make a move, my preference would be a defensive minded coach with connections to, and willingness to give control to a good OC. In my opinion, offensive minded coaches seam to be the splash hires, but rarely sustain high levels of production. Good defenses learn to adapt in this league as long as they maintain solid fundamentals. Look around the CPU try at the teams that stay in the top 10 regularly vs those that peak and valley.

My first choice would be Venables from Clemson or even promoting Bob Shoop. Shoop started rocky, but looks to be making the right changes and has his unit improving.

Dawg in Dallas
10-03-2017, 02:10 PM
If UT were to make a move, my preference would be a defensive minded coach with connections to, and willingness to give control to a good OC. In my opinion, offensive minded coaches seam to be the splash hires, but rarely sustain high levels of production. Good defenses learn to adapt in this league as long as they maintain solid fundamentals. Look around the CPU try at the teams that stay in the top 10 regularly vs those that peak and valley.

My first choice would be Venables from Clemson or even promoting Bob Shoop. Shoop started rocky, but looks to be making the right changes and has his unit improving.

While I think that may appear to be true, look at Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, Chris Peterson, David Cutcliffe, and maybe Gus Malzahn.

Herchel
10-03-2017, 02:47 PM
While I think that may appear to be true, look at Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, Chris Peterson, David Cutcliffe, and maybe Gus Malzahn.
Richt wasn't too shabby.

Dawg in Dallas
10-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Isn't too shabby, but I was trying to avoid that rabbit hole. :)

Herchel
10-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Isn't too shabby, but I was trying to avoid that rabbit hole. :)
I should have considered that.
Smart is UGA's first defensive HC in my lifetime.
Butts was an OG. Griffith was a RB. Dooley was a QB. Goff was a QB. Donnan was a QB. Richt was a QB.

MKfromPA
10-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I think it will be Bielema. He hasn't broken the 8 win plateau and has lost several questionable games. Can't beat A&M or Alabama. Hasn't won more than 5 SEC games.

rstew3
10-03-2017, 09:27 PM

Key word is sustained. Their are 2 names on that list that gotten their teams to be a top 10 program and have sustained that level. Meyer and Peterson, both of whom have done it at multiple programs. I like everyone on that list, but the others, while good, have not kept their programs in the elite status. Peterson may be the best of them all, and it's scary what he could do running a historical powerhouse program. I would be ecstatic to have him, but he isn't leaving the west coast.

Dr.SwineSmeller
10-07-2017, 10:56 PM
I dont know who the first is, but i know who the worst is.

Naval Aviator
10-07-2017, 11:08 PM
It's between Butch and Bielema. Sumlin bought some time tonight...

Bama_Man
10-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Sumlin is 4-2, his seat shouldn't be hot at all.

It's Jones and Bert, Coach O beinf third. Home loss to Troy is bad.

Really Big Bama Fan
10-08-2017, 01:11 AM
I agree. And Coach Bielema fits my image of a pig farmer, so Coach Jones is probably the most at risk.

ugabrad
10-08-2017, 03:08 AM
Sumlin is 4-2, his seat shouldn't be hot at all.

It's Jones and Bert, Coach O beinf third. Home loss to Troy is bad.

Winning in Gainesville should reduce the heat under Coach O's seat.

Herchel
10-08-2017, 05:46 AM
Barry Odum.

Dawg in Dallas
10-16-2017, 09:59 AM
This article (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/butch-jones-on-firing-line-after-living-up-to-botch-nickname-in-south-carolina-loss/)says Jones should be fired this week:

Tennessee (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/TENN/tennessee-volunteers), it's time.

It's time to embrace your future, forget about the past and move on from coach Butch Jones. If getting shellacked 41-0 by Georgia (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/UGA/georgia-bulldogs) two weeks ago at Neyland Stadium wasn't enough to force Jones out during the bye week, Saturday's 15-9 loss to South Carolina (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/SC/south-carolina-gamecocks) should do the trick.

Jones is now 0-4 against Will Muschamp during his Tennessee career, including last season's upset when the Vols were ranked No. 18 and today's debacle that, in addition to extending an ominous losing streak against Muschamp, extended Tennessee's touchdown drought to 10 quarters.

How hard is it to tell your redshirt freshman quarterback to spike the ball with no timeouts in a two-minute drill? Jones didn't even do that when the Vols were inside the 10-yard line with 20 seconds left and Jarrett Guarantano (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2247508/jarrett-guarantano) -- making his first career start -- waited a to run a play as seconds ticked away instead of preserving time.

What more do you need to make a move on Jones? Nothing.

The Vols missed a massive window to take back the SEC East with a roster loaded of talented players including quarterback Joshua Dobbs (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2071844/joshua-dobbs), running back Alvin Kamara (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2082721/alvin-kamara), defensive end Derek Barnett (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2133516/derek-barnett) and a host of other players who were brought in to reverse the fortunes of a fledgling program.

They did their part, but Jones didn't do his.

Throughout that window, an over-coached Vols team failed to live up to expectations and suffered mind-numbingly horrible losses; those players moved on, leaving a program in shambles. Jones is the reason for that deconstruction.

With a road trip to Alabama (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/BAMA/alabama-crimson-tide) looming next week, athletic director John Currie has to make a move. If the decision on a coach's future is already obvious, the worst thing for a leader to do is to delay the inevitable.

LSU AD Joe Alleva did that with Les Miles two years ago at the end of the season, and Miles became a sympathetic figure after beating Texas A&M (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/TXAM/texas-aandm-aggies) at home to close out the 2015 campaign. Four games into the 2016 season, Alleva had to fire Miles after a 2-2 start. In 2003, Auburn (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/AUBURN/auburn-tigers) leaders interviewed Louisville (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/LVILLE/louisville-cardinals) coach Bobby Petrino the week of the Iron Bowl while Tommy Tuberville was still the Tigers' coach. Auburn won, Tuberville became a sympathetic figure, and AU's leadership was left embarrassed and apologetic.

Jones isn't on the level of Miles or Tuberville, and the likelihood of the Vols upsetting the Crimson Tide next week is slim to none. But like Lloyd Christmas' chances of ending up with Mary Swanson (or is it Samsonite?) in "Dumb & Dumber," well, "You're telling me there's a chance?"

There is one, albeit small. Currie can't run that risk.

Cut the cord, move on and develop numerous contingency plans for a coaching silly season that will be accelerated due to the tight window created by the new early signing period.
Tennessee will be better off for it.