Wher would Kelly be on UGA's depth chart. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Wher would Kelly be on UGA's depth chart.

Herchel
09-27-2017, 11:05 AM
UGA's top 4 tailbacks.

1. Nick Chubb
2. Sony Michel
3. DeAnndre Swift
4. Brian herrien

Dr.SwineSmeller
09-27-2017, 03:01 PM
I went first string. Unlike other voters thus far, I'll offer reasoning...

The reasons being, from what I have seen, he is the most durable of SEC running backs, and will probably be a higher draft choice than the rest. Kelly also can catch the ball, which makes his draft number better. I think the tell tale on Kelly will come this weekend against Georgia when we get to see how he matches up to the SEC's bet group of linebackers. We will see his true ability to getting up field and making defenders miss against UGA's speedy linebackers.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/stats-show-tennessees-john-kelly-toughest-rb-tackle-sec/

Tennessee will need John Kelly to come up big if they hope to compete in the SEC East this season.

The Volunteers star RB has put up some strong numbers through the first four games of the season. Kelly has rushed for 450 yards and 6 TDs while also adding 182 yards receiving. He is averaging 6.4 yards a touch and nearly led the Volunteers to a comeback win over Florida.

Kelly has shown an incredible ability to get up field and make defenders miss, and two stats highlight Kelly’s play making ability.

The CFB Film Room has Kelly with 34 total forced missed tackles this season.

The Volunteers are 3-1 on the season, but are coming off a sluggish performance in their 17-14 victory over UMass. Tennessee and Kelly will need to be better when they take on No. 7 Georgia in Knoxville Saturday. Kickoff is set for 3:30 pm EST on CBS.

Dawg4life
09-27-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm going to go in a different direction and say D'Andre Swift might be the best of them all (and the silly thing is Zamir White is likely better than him). Today's NFL is looking for backs that can catch and run and he's shown both (and the Falcons are blessed with two that can do it).

SavageOrangeJug
09-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Chubb isn't even the best back on UGA's team, much less in the SEC.

With that being said. He should have a career day against UT's terrible run defense. We'll see.

Kelly leads the SEC in rushing and receiving for running backs. To claim he would be 3rd or 4th string at UGA is either ignorance or trolling.

Dawg in Dallas
09-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Well who MIGHT be the better pro is a different animal than the question posed.

Kelly has been a very good back this year. However, I do not believe he would start ahead of Chubb or Michel, both returning seniors with way more skins on the wall than Kelly. He may play in front of true Freshman Swift.

I have no problem admitting Kelly has played very, very well this year. My issue was the claim that Chubb had never done anything in his career or that he was the most overrated RB in the SEC. That is ridiculous.

SavageOrangeJug
09-27-2017, 04:54 PM
I have no problem admitting Kelly has played very, very well this year. My issue was the claim that Chubb had never done anything in his career or that he was the most overrated RB in the SEC. That is ridiculous.
Not saying he hasn't done anything might not have been the best way to word it.

Chubb just hasn't put the team on his back like some backs can. Walker and Gurley both did it at UGA. Henry did it at Bama. Kelly is doing it at UT this year.

Herchel
09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Chubb isn't even the best back on UGA's team, much less in the SEC.

With that being said. He should have a career day against UT's terrible run defense. We'll see.

Kelly leads the SEC in rushing and receiving for running backs. To claim he would be 3rd or 4th string at UGA is either ignorance or trolling.
Chubb has 3700 yards. How many does Kelly have.

Watch this and tell me who is ignorant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHvU5E5EOQ
Post Kelly's highlights.

You have to be a hopeless homer to think Kelly is higher than 3rd string at UGA.

SavageOrangeJug
09-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Chubb has 3700 yards. How many does Kelly have.

Watch this and tell me who is ignorant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHvU5E5EOQ
Post Kelly's highlights.

You have to be a hopeless homer to think Kelly is higher than 3rd string at UGA.
Kelly has started 4 games.

How many has Chubb started?

Claiming the leading rushing and receiving back in the SEC is "third string on my team" is beyond ridiculous. You're right. One of us is a hopeless homer.

Herchel
09-27-2017, 05:10 PM
I now invoke Herchel Rule #3.

Dawg4life
09-27-2017, 05:38 PM

Chubb just hasn't put the team on his back like some backs can. Walker and Gurley both did it at UGA. Henry did it at Bama. Kelly is doing it at UT this year.

Were you in a coma in 2014? Mason wasn't respected in the passing game that year, so by your talking Georgia shouldn't have slumped when Gurley got suspended, then you have Auburn, and Louisville. Although I have already said that you could have put Joe Shmo talented back in that backfield and they would have racked up monster yardage behind that OL.

Sorry for the coma comment if it's too far. I probably should save it for the other board.

ECDawg78
09-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Once again concerning Chubb, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Below are the stats from Chubb's first four starts after Gurley was suspended in 2014:

DATE OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD

10/11 @Missouri W 34-0 38 143 3.8 18 1 4 31 7.8 12 0
10/18 @Arkansas W 45-32 30 202 6.7 43 2 1 8 8.0 8 0
11/1 Florida L 38-20 21 156 7.4 43 1 5 59 11.8 18 1
11/8 @Kentucky W 63-31 13 170 13.1 55 1 0 0 0.0 0 0

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3128720/year/2014/nick-chubb

I suggest you get a clue before spreading manure about Nick Chubb........

Bama_Man
09-27-2017, 07:27 PM
I'd have Kelly as no worse than third at UGA, quite possibly second behind Chubb. He's a good receiver like Michel but is also extremely tough to bring down.

Cuz
09-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Can we just get back to football and leave the veiled insults aside. The only UT game I saw this year was when they played Tech. I noticed Tech running up and down the field but I thought UT came back with passing. To tell the truth, I really was not paying much attention. I am pretty sure the Tech running game had more yards than UT. If I recall correctly, Kelly was the guy that scored the Td's in overtime. Not sure. But there is a whole lot of pressure in OT.

See, not so hard. I only insulted myself for not remembering the game that much.

Cuz
09-27-2017, 07:30 PM
I'd have Kelly as no worse than third at UGA, quite possibly second behind Chubb. He's a good receiver like Michel but is also extremely tough to bring down.

A good answer. Probably the best one so far. I agree.

Bama_Man
09-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Can we just get back to football and leave the veiled insults aside. The only UT game I saw this year was when they played Tech. I noticed Tech running up and down the field but I thought UT came back with passing. To tell the truth, I really was not paying much attention. I am pretty sure the Tech running game had more yards than UT. If I recall correctly, Kelly was the guy that scored the Td's in overtime. Not sure. But there is a whole lot of pressure in OT.

See, not so hard. I only insulted myself for not remembering the game that much.

GT had a LOT more rush yards than UT, but some of that is scheme and some is UT playing from behind.

I voted second, Kelly is a very, very good RB but not sure he'd surpass senior Chubb.

Cuz
09-27-2017, 07:32 PM
I am not participating in some dumb asterisk poll just cause people cannot get along.

ECDawg78
09-27-2017, 08:08 PM
I am not participating in some dumb asterisk poll just cause people cannot get along.

I'm with you.....I don't see how a poll like this is relative to anything but stroking homerism....

Dawgilicious
09-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Just give Kelly the Heisman, because obviously there has never been a back like him at all. He is so unstoppable, I wonder how Kirby can even have a gameplan for him. We might as well not even show up Saturday

Bama_Man
09-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Just give Kelly the Heisman, because obviously there has never been a back like him at all. He is so unstoppable, I wonder how Kirby can even have a gameplan for him. We might as well not even show up Saturday
That's not what SOJ said, some of you Dawg fans are being super defensive.

gatormaniac
09-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Haven't watched UGA this year, but I have watched Kelly run through UF. A better coaching staff would get a lot more out of him.

Herchel
09-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Once more, this is what he said.

We have the best and most versatile back in the SEC in John Kelly.

Is kelly better than Scarborough, Guice, Chubb, ?

Dawg4life
09-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Now, if we're going to start talking Alabama, I'm not sure Scarborough is their best back for their purposes of what they run offensively. He's the most physical back on the roster, but I think their best back for what they do is Damien Harris.

Dawg in Dallas
09-28-2017, 05:13 PM

In addition to the Herchel quote:

Point blank. Chubb hasn't done jack in his career. He is what, a 3 year starter? He is the most overrated back in the SEC.

Can you see the folly in that statement and how it might cause a reaction from UGA fans?

Kelly is having a great year, and the original critique of the article by SOJ was somewhat on point. The article claimed:

“The thing about Tennessee this year, they don’t have a quarterback, they don’t have a running back and for all those guys they’ve signed, I don’t see any dominant, draftable players on the roster.”

Obviously they have a good running back. I don't personally think he is the best in the SEC, but whatevs, that is a matter of opinion. But the claims SOJ made about Chubb are what is ridiculous - trolling most likely, but still ridiculous.

Bama_Man
09-28-2017, 05:28 PM
In addition to the Herchel quote:

Can you see the folly in that statement and how it might cause a reaction from UGA fans?

Kelly is having a great year, and the original critique of the article by SOJ was somewhat on point. The article claimed:

Obviously they have a good running back. I don't personally think he is the best in the SEC, but whatevs, that is a matter of opinion. But the claims SOJ made about Chubb are what is ridiculous - trolling most likely, but still ridiculous.
And the claim H. made about 4th string is equally ridiculous. SOJs original point was Kelly has been best back in SEC this year. In a different thread I said I didn't agree, but that there's certainly a strong argument to be made.
I don't recall SOJ getting so hyperbolic until some of the comments from UGA fans, and the personal attacks came from a few UGA people first.

Dawg in Dallas
09-28-2017, 06:28 PM
And the claim H. made about 4th string is equally ridiculous. SOJs original point was Kelly has been best back in SEC this year. In a different thread I said I didn't agree, but that there's certainly a strong argument to be made.
I don't recall SOJ getting so hyperbolic until some of the comments from UGA fans, and the personal attacks came from a few UGA people first.

Other than Herchel the only comment was that Chubb splits carries (which he does.)

Again, I am not arguing about who is the best back in the SEC - that is subjective.

Kelly is having a very good year. Chubb is having a pretty good year as well, but he has had limited touches. His high in carries in a game is lower than Kelly's low in a game, yet Chubb has the same number of rushing TDs. Not surprisingly Chubb also has a higher ypc. Now Kelly is a bigger threat as a receiver - no doubt (which goes to SOJ's versatility point).

I am confident that on any team, Chubb would be the starter over Kelly. The same is likely true for Michel. Now Swift is a TF, and he looks great, but...I am not gonna go that far.

But where they are on the depth chart doesn't mean that Kelly isn't having a very nice season so far.

As I pointed out in the other thread - Kelly currently has the exact same number carries in his CAREER as Chubb had his Freshman year.

Dawgilicious
09-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Yeah the thing with Swift is that he plays sparingly and gets minimal touches, which is why I placed Kelly 3rd, but it is subjective because who knows how he plays in our system and with our coaches. If everything was equal, i dont see how he plays over Sony on our team

Dawg in Dallas
09-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Keep in mind Sony missed a game with an ankle injury.

Bama_Man
09-28-2017, 07:39 PM
I think Kelly is tougher to bring down than Michel but possess same kind of receiving threat, that's why I had Kelly second.

Dawg in Dallas
09-28-2017, 08:34 PM
I think Kelly is tougher to bring down than Michel but possess same kind of receiving threat, that's why I had Kelly second.

I take no issue with that.

SavageOrangeJug
09-28-2017, 08:55 PM
I never said anything like that.

However, now that you brought it up.

How many Heismans has Chubb won?

ECDawg78
09-29-2017, 11:37 AM
I never said anything like that.

However, now that you brought it up.

How many Heismans has Chubb won?

Same number as Kelly......you teed that one up high for me SOJ.........:D

SavageOrangeJug
09-30-2017, 08:57 AM
UGA's top 4 tailbacks.

1. Nick Chubb
2. Sony Michel
3. DeAnndre Swift
4. Brian herrien

This poll didn't go as planned, did it? Only homer Dawg fans agreeing with your ridiculous "4th string" comments. :doh: