Georgia vs Mississippi State [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Georgia vs Mississippi State

Dawg4life
09-17-2017, 11:45 AM
I'm already having flashback nightmares to Chad Kelly pooping all over Georgia's secondary after evading Georgia's linebackers in week 4 last year. Georgia's linebacker crew is playing a lot better than it did last year but the secondary still looks as shaky as the one that let Drew Lock look like the best he's ever looked vs an FBS team.

If Fitzgerald truly has progressed as a passer I'm afraid of how this game ends up looking...

Dawgilicious
09-17-2017, 12:15 PM
He looked pretty good last night with his decision making, that is for sure. We are going to also have to throw it more effectively. Doubt Miss st is just going to let us run it over and over and over

Cuz
09-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Going to be a real battle. Our D has to play lights out because our O is still in a learning curve. It looks to be one of the better games to watch. I have a lot of respect for State's team.

I do not believe we allow cowbells in Sanford. The Bruce Dickinson would be upset.

Dr.SwineSmeller
09-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Going to be a real battle. Our D has to play lights out because our O is still in a learning curve. It looks to be one of the better games to watch. I have a lot of respect for State's team.

I do not believe we allow cowbells in Sanford. The Bruce Dickinson would be upset.

I think the cow bells are legal conference wide, they just can't ring them when the teams come to the line or they get flagged. I may be wrong.

Bama_Man
09-17-2017, 05:24 PM
LSU fans may get mad but I believe UGA has more speed on defense and is better. LSU was banged up last night but MSU just ate them alive.

Herchel
09-17-2017, 05:30 PM
We have the best front seven we have had for a while. I think it is the best in the SEC. Ain't nobody going to run outside on this D. They are just too fast.

GR8NESS
09-17-2017, 07:16 PM
This game is in Sanford. MSU can beat UGA, but I don't think they can in athens.

Bama_Man
09-17-2017, 09:16 PM
We have the best front seven we have had for a while. I think it is the best in the SEC. Ain't nobody going to run outside on this D. They are just too fast.
With all the injuries to the Bama linebackers, I think UGA is clearly the best front seven in conference. Bamas better on the back end but UGA is absolutely filthy up front. Carter coming back to school was huge for him and UGA. Made him millions and gave UGA a legit elite pass rusher. Smith is a Tasmanian devil at ILB too, he flies around the field.

NCMISSSTFAN
09-22-2017, 02:10 PM
I like what I've seen from Fitz so far this year, but as an MSU fan I still see some areas that he is going to have to improve in for us to be in the conversation as a top SEC team this year, but the little things will come in time and Dan always does a great job of coaching up his QB's. I know the game won't be in Athens, but obviously GA fans will be in abundance because the game is still in GA. I think this game is a game that will show both teams where they really stand going forward. My head says Georgia wins by two touchdowns but my heart feels MSU can get one in Georgia this year, especially with Fitz playing his home town team.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-22-2017, 02:27 PM
They really stomped the corn dogs. It made me think Mullen is the second best SEC coach.

Herchel
09-22-2017, 02:27 PM
They really stomped the corn dogs. It made me think Mullen is the second best SEC coach.

So do MSU fans.

Dawg in Dallas
09-22-2017, 02:30 PM
I worry about their DL vs. our OL...

Just Some Hog Dude
09-22-2017, 02:35 PM
So do MSU fans.

He had them ranked number one a few seasons ago too.

Dr.SwineSmeller
09-22-2017, 02:42 PM
I don't think there is much disputing Mullen being the 2nd best coach in the SEC. Name another better at this point?

Herchel
09-22-2017, 03:22 PM
I worry about their DL vs. our OL...

Me too.

Herchel
09-22-2017, 03:30 PM
In three games this season, Georgia senior edge rusher Lorenzo Carter has been playing up to his lofty billing as a former five-star recruit. The 6-foot-6, 247-pound edge rusher has 14 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in three games.

Carter is credited by Georgia with a team-high high seven quarterback pressures. According to Pro Football Focus, the senior is credited with 13 quarterback pressures on 46 pass rushes. Per PFF metrics, that is good for the highest pass-rush productivity among all FBS edge rushers, a figure that is measured on a per snap basis, with more weight given to sacks.

Bama_Man
09-22-2017, 03:37 PM
In three games this season, Georgia senior edge rusher Lorenzo Carter has been playing up to his lofty billing as a former five-star recruit. The 6-foot-6, 247-pound edge rusher has 14 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in three games.

Carter is credited by Georgia with a team-high high seven quarterback pressures. According to Pro Football Focus, the senior is credited with 13 quarterback pressures on 46 pass rushes. Per PFF metrics, that is good for the highest pass-rush productivity among all FBS edge rushers, a figure that is measured on a per snap basis, with more weight given to sacks.
How much of that do you credit to how well the UGA DL has played and been able to gobble up blocks and give Carter one on one situations to eat up edge blockers and get in the back field?

I think Smart has done a fantastic job with the UGA defense. The talent has always been there but it seems Smart has allowed the defense to play faster and more free.

Herchel
09-22-2017, 03:45 PM
How much of that do you credit to how well the UGA DL has played and been able to gobble up blocks and give Carter one on one situations to eat up edge blockers and get in the back field?

I think Smart has done a fantastic job with the UGA defense. The talent has always been there but it seems Smart has allowed the defense to play faster and more free.
He is outside. He just beats the tackle. I thought he was going to kill Wimbush.

zud the hut
09-22-2017, 04:38 PM
This is a game that I would not have considered to be a highlight game of the week at the beginning of the season. The season is a playoff. It's a process of elimination.

State exposed LSU's line play on both sides of the ball. We have problems that need to be corrected going forward.

I think that State will win this game. Not because they are more talented, they aren't except with the most important exception. The exception is that of quarterback. I think that Fitzgerald is the best quarterback in the league. And he can carry this team.

However, State has a couple of issues. First of all, they aren't in StarkVegas and they aren't under the radar anymore. In fact, they will have to have success living in the glass house, in order to get better. Secondly, there's a real danger of a let down game here. Do you really think that they will play this good every week? And they were jacked up last Saturday. And, rightfully so, because it was their coming out party. But what happens when you go up? Remember Newton's law?

Bama_Man
09-22-2017, 05:11 PM
He is outside. He just beats the tackle. I thought he was going to kill Wimbush.
You know I know that lol. I meant how has the success inside with the big DTs allowed Carter to feast in one on one matchups instead of being constantly double teamed.

Herchel
09-22-2017, 05:27 PM
You know I know that lol. I meant how has the success inside with the big DTs allowed Carter to feast in one on one matchups instead of being constantly double teamed.
Here is my uneducated guess.
Trent Thompson is a 1st round pick. He is usually double teamed. carter is one on one with the OT, or is chipped by the RB, or is double teamed by the OT and a TE. He usually wins.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 07:35 PM
This is the best I've seen UGA come out vs a ranked team in a while. Fromm dropping dimes, WRs catching, Nauta getting a monster block, and of course Chubb. How would like to be a DC and have to figure how to counter having Chubb and Swift or Michel in the game at the same time?

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 07:41 PM
You can just tell Hardman is so fast and quick

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Lorenzo Carter is making himself a top 5 pick this year. He can play every down. He can rush the passer, stop the run, and cover a with a TE or RB because of his 6'6" frame and 4.5 40 time.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 08:08 PM
swift's knee was clearly down when then ball started to come out. Horrible replay decision.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 08:16 PM
UGA seems to happy to be up 14-0, getting super conservative.

ugabrad
09-23-2017, 08:18 PM
UGA seems to happy to be up 14-0, getting super conservative.

That has always been a mistake, but one we have been prone to make over the years.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 08:26 PM
That has always been a mistake, but one we have been prone to make over the years.

Fromm has been picking their defense apart. Now I fear he will press this drive and throw an interception. I thought UGA had ended that when Richt left.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Time to get rolling again.

Dawg4life
09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
That bad call fumble stopped the offensive momentum....smh.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 08:38 PM
That bad call fumble stopped the offensive momentum....smh.

You are correct. I don't get how they can look at his knee and the ball still in is his arms and say the play stands. Everyone in the stadium say the replay and roared because they knew it would be overturned. Then the shock of them missing it that bad.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 08:49 PM
I was pissed off about that call. Did Penn Wagers come out of retirement?

Cuz
09-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Now we are back to being consistent in our consistency.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Chubb is our best running Quarterback.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Everyone did their job on that Chubb run TD Dawgs 21-3.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Everyone did their job on that Chubb run TD Dawgs 21-3.

I concur.

Dawg4life
09-23-2017, 09:09 PM
He's called a good game for the most part but I just don't get Chaney's idea of "everyone has to get a touch". Herrien is nowhere close to as good as the other three backs.

Unselfish play is fine most of the time, but while I like Herrien's heart he shouldn't be playing in games in doubt.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 09:27 PM
I still hate the Off tackle we still cannot seem to get going.

ugabrad
09-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Is that Rodrigo's longest field goal of the season?

Bama_Man
09-23-2017, 09:33 PM
UGA looks very, very good.

houndofthebaskervols
09-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Georgia is looking very good, extremely impressed with your Freshman QB.

lbzdually
09-23-2017, 09:41 PM
That FG for Blankenship would have been good from 60+ yards. UGA has finally put a total game together. Kindley is down, UGA's line improved a ton when he got back, I hope he's not hurt bad.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Can we stop running up the middle for two series. Just two. That is all I ask. Run sweep right, run sweep left. Screen pass. Anything but run up the middle.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 09:52 PM
We missed a sack. Darn.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 09:55 PM
I started counting and I think there was 12 men on the field. I could be wrong but Kirby called a timeout.

Dr.SwineSmeller
09-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Uga looks good. The defense is the SEC's best.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks Doc. Not sure we are the best. But we are damn good.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Oh, just to let you know, Uga is the Dawg. We are U G A !!!!!!

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:08 PM
And Uga X does look good. A damn good looking Dawg.

ugabrad
09-23-2017, 10:15 PM
It appears that the pass defense has improved in this game. What have they been doing differently, or is MSU just not that good in the air?

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:18 PM
I think we may be ready for Prime time.

ugabrad
09-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Well, are the talking heads on ESPN going to eat crow tonight? During the past week they all were saying Mississippi State was going to win (no, I did not see Gameday this morning, so I have no idea what they said there).

Good game Dawgs!!

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:31 PM
It appears that the pass defense has improved in this game. What have they been doing differently, or is MSU just not that good in the air?

I thought their QB was good on the ground or through the air.

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:32 PM
I don't watch ESPN. Tebow picked State, the rest including Finebaum picked Georgia.

ugabrad
09-23-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't watch ESPN. Tebow picked State, the rest including Finebaum picked Georgia.

I cancelled my cable two years ago, so I don't watch ESPN, but during the work week (Sun-Thurs) I use the wifi at work to check their UGA page to see any videos they have of the team's plays. As of Thursday night, all their guys so far had picked MSU (admittedly, those aren't their first team talking heads).

Cuz
09-23-2017, 10:56 PM
My guess is we move up in the standings.

Dawg4life
09-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Great win by Georgia!

ugabrad
09-23-2017, 11:15 PM
My guess is we move up in the standings.

Do you think that Oklahoma State is going to drop that far in the rankings?

Cuz
09-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Do you think that Oklahoma State is going to drop that far in the rankings?

Yes......

GatorMan32
09-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Congrats UGA

zud the hut
09-24-2017, 12:02 AM
This is a game that I would not have considered to be a highlight game of the week at the beginning of the season. The season is a playoff. It's a process of elimination.

State exposed LSU's line play on both sides of the ball. We have problems that need to be corrected going forward.

I think that State will win this game. Not because they are more talented, they aren't except with the most important exception. The exception is that of quarterback. I think that Fitzgerald is the best quarterback in the league. And he can carry this team.

However, State has a couple of issues. First of all, they aren't in StarkVegas and they aren't under the radar anymore. In fact, they will have to have success living in the glass house, in order to get better. Secondly, there's a real danger of a let down game here. Do you really think that they will play this good every week? And they were jacked up last Saturday. And, rightfully so, because it was their coming out party. But what happens when you go up? Remember Newton's law?

This is what I stated before the game.

I didn't see the game because I was watching LSU/Syracuse game.

Looks like a let down for State.

And Georgia looks really good. Best of the East and second best in conference.

MKfromPA
09-24-2017, 10:00 AM
MSU is overrated, I knew UGA would win this game and win handily. Congrats on UGA for pulling through. MSU, welcome to the top tier of the SEC, LOL, because you aren't close to being there yet. :lol:

ECDawg78
09-24-2017, 10:54 PM
I think we may be ready for Prime time.

This team is improving every week Cuz.........but I think we still have a ways to go before we're "ready for Prime time".

It's taken till now for Smart and his staff to infuse more talent and coach them up to play at a higher level. The players now seem to have bought in entirely.

The next two weeks on the road will tell us a lot too.

I'm really encouraged about the direction of our program.....

ugabrad
09-24-2017, 11:58 PM
I had the chance to see some videos from the game earlier today. I really liked the use of the flee-flicker on the starting play - they were ready to stop the "Nick Chubb up the middle" normal opening play and were completely fooled by the play. That was a lovely TD.

Dawg in Dallas
09-25-2017, 07:44 AM
This team is improving every week Cuz.........but I think we still have a ways to go before we're "ready for Prime time".

It's taken till now for Smart and his staff to infuse more talent and coach them up to play at a higher level. The players now seem to have bought in entirely.

The defense is ready for prime time. The offense is still a work in progress.

I agree with the bolded portion completely.

ECDawg78
09-25-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm already having flashback nightmares to Chad Kelly pooping all over Georgia's secondary after evading Georgia's linebackers in week 4 last year. Georgia's linebacker crew is playing a lot better than it did last year but the secondary still looks as shaky as the one that let Drew Lock look like the best he's ever looked vs an FBS team.

If Fitzgerald truly has progressed as a passer I'm afraid of how this game ends up looking...

Hopefully your nightmares disappeared after Saturday's 31-3 win.

Props go out to Jim Cheney and staff for an excellent offensive game plan and the great analysis and breakdown of game film.....leading to the opening play call from scrimmage.

Dr.SwineSmeller
09-25-2017, 02:53 PM
The defense is ready for prime time. The offense is still a work in progress.

I agree with the bolded portion completely.

I like your QB. He is a good one. Obviously very coachable.

Bama_Man
09-25-2017, 03:14 PM
I saw where Eason is back at practice, what will UGA do when he is healthy?

Herchel
09-25-2017, 03:48 PM
I saw where Eason is back at practice, what will UGA do when he is healthy?
Smart says he doesn't care if it's a DL or QB. Whomever practices best that week starts on Saturday.

Bama_Man
09-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Smart says he doesn't care if it's a DL or QB. Whomever practices best that week starts on Saturday.
A coach may say that lol, but I can't imagine flipping QBs on a weekly basis if one has a slightly better week of practice.

Dawg4life
09-25-2017, 10:59 PM
My guess is that while Eason will be doing more at practice this week he still won't be ready this week. After that is where it gets interesting...and my guess is...if Fromm can look calm and collected in the start of the tour of Tennessee, the job is his without injury. If not and/or Georgia loses (Georgia should beat Tennessee this time, but history has said it's not a sure thing), it will get a lot tougher.

It might not matter ultimately.

IllinoisDawg63
09-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Great W for CKS...whether MSU over-rated or not, our men played with passion unseen since Richts early yrs. Determine who should be starting now for UT....If Eason doesn't know he's to be challenged, then he's an idiot. Fromm is showing strong promise in future....great for him. Credit OC for the nicest play calling done since part of staff.

Sent from my K90U using Tapatalk

Bama_Man
09-26-2017, 01:14 AM
My guess is that while Eason will be doing more at practice this week he still won't be ready this week. After that is where it gets interesting...and my guess is...if Fromm can look calm and collected in the start of the tour of Tennessee, the job is his without injury. If not and/or Georgia loses (Georgia should beat Tennessee this time, but history has said it's not a sure thing), it will get a lot tougher.

I agree with this. If Fromm continues to play this well, it's his job regardless of Eason's health. If Fromm hits a rough patch and Eason gets to 100%, Smart has a tough choice.

dnmuga93
09-26-2017, 09:31 AM
I believe you will see both guys get snaps when Eason is healthy.

Cuz
09-26-2017, 09:39 AM
I believe you will see both guys get snaps when Eason is healthy.

I concur.

Cuz
09-26-2017, 09:43 AM

By Prime Time, I mean the rest of our SEC schedule. I think we match up favorably with our SEC opponents. And I am not talking about the SECCG.

ECDawg78
09-26-2017, 11:09 AM
By Prime Time, I mean the rest of our SEC schedule. I think we match up favorably with our SEC opponents. And I am not talking about the SECCG.

Agreed. Hopefully this team can continue to improve enough week to week to meet all of our regular season challenges.....and any SECCG talk is very premature.

ECDawg78
09-26-2017, 11:10 AM

It's a good problem to have......two good quarterbacks.