Every SEC team's cross-division record over the past decade [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Every SEC team's cross-division record over the past decade

ECDawg78
08-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Every SEC team's cross-division record over the past decade

by Tye Richardson
August 28, 2017

Crossover games are a wonderful part of SEC football.

Many are rivalries: Tennessee-Alabama, Florida-LSU, Auburn-Georgia, etc.

Other games, such as Arkansas-Missouri and Texas A&M-South Carolina, are less steeped in tradition. The Razorbacks have only played the Tigers eight times, while the Gamecocks have fought the Aggies in a mere three games.

Most would argue, regardless of fandom, that Alabama vs. Tennessee is the most significant of these games. Though the Crimson Tide have dominated as of late, the ďThird Saturday in OctoberĒ game means an enormous amount to both schools.

The recent lopsided games has caused some Volunteers fans to resent being matched up with Alabama year after year while other SEC East schools only have to play the Tide once every six years.

Unfortunately for the Vols, or any other team with a gripe, the permanent annual cross-divisional matchups are set in stone through 2025.

Hereís a look at each teamís record against the other division from 2007-2016 (includes SEC Championship games), its mark against its permanent crossover foe, and this seasonís matchups.

Alabama

Record vs. SEC East: 31-3
Record vs. Tennessee: 10-0
2017 outlook: The Crimson Tide travel to Vanderbilt Sept. 23, then get Tennessee at home on Oct. 21. Alabama hasnít lost to the Commodores since 1984.

Arkansas

Record vs. SEC East: 13-14
Record vs. Missouri: 1-3 (includes 2008 Cotton Bowl)
2017 outlook: South Carolina is Arkansasí first true SEC road test in early October. The Razorbacks will be looking for revenge versus Missouri at home after their collapse in 2016. Not a bad draw for Bret Bielemaís squad.

Auburn

Record vs. SEC East: 16-11
Record vs. Georgia: 2-8
2017 outlook: Like Arkansas, Auburn gets its first SEC road test against an East opponent, Missouri. Surprisingly, these programs have met only twice. The Tigers take on Georgia in ďThe Deep Southís Oldest RivalryĒ in November at home.

Florida

Record vs. SEC West: 13-15
Record vs. LSU: 4-6
2017 outlook: The LSU game will be rocking in Gainesville after the way the Tigers poorly handled the hurricane situation in 2016. The Gators are fortunate to see Texas A&M, with its unsettled quarterback situation, on the schedule in mid-October at home.

Georgia

Record vs. SEC West: 16-10
Record vs. Auburn: 8-2
2017 outlook: The Bulldogs host Mississippi State this season, a game featuring programs that havenít played each other since 2011. Highly touted quarterback Jarrett Stidham and Auburn host Georgia in Jordan-Hare Stadium this season. The Bulldogs surrendered only 7 points to the Tigers in 2016.

Kentucky

Record vs. SEC West: 7-18
Record vs. Mississippi State: 2-8
2017 outlook: Kentucky will endure the cowbells when it visits Starkville on Oct. 21. Taking on Nick Fitzgerald on the road isnít going to be any fun for the Wildcatsí defense. The other SEC Mississippi school pays Kentucky a visit the first Saturday of November.

LSU

Record vs. SEC East: 20-7
Record vs. Florida: 6-4
2017 outlook: Heisman hopeful Derrius Guice could make a statement early in conference play with a stellar performance at Florida. The Tigers will be motivated spoilers after Florida picked the matchup for its homecoming game. Traveling to Neyland Stadium in November could be tough after back-to-back rivalry games against Alabama and Arkansas.

Mississippi State

Record vs. SEC East: 16-12
Record vs. Kentucky: 8-2
2017 outlook: The Bulldogs had their seven-game winning streak against Kentucky snapped last season. The Bulldogs will look to start another streak at home on Oct. 21. About a month before, Mississippi State faces a tough road game at Georgia, where Jacob Eason and the Bulldogs will be looking for a signature home win.

Missouri

Record vs. SEC West: 5-7
Record vs. Arkansas: 3-1 (includes 2008 Cotton Bowl)
2017 outlook: The Missouri Tigers start their season with four home games, with the last one of the stretch against the Auburn Tigers. Coach Barry Odom would love to start the season 4-0, but Missouri will be tested against Auburn. The Tigers close out their season at Arkansas, where the Razorbacks will be seeking retribution after 2016ís heartbreaking loss.

Ole Miss

Record vs. SEC East: 9-16 (not including two losses against Missouri before the Tigers joined the SEC).
Record vs. Vanderbilt: 4-6
2017 outlook: Ole Miss gets Vanderbilt at home this season. The Rebels got blasted by the Commodores last season, 38-17. In early November, Ole Miss travels to Kroger Field to take on Mark Stoopsí Kentucky Wildcats.

South Carolina

Record vs. SEC West: 9-17
Record vs. Texas A&M: 0-3
2017 outlook: The Gamecocks havenít been able to overcome the Aggies in their first three battles. Though they play at Kyle Field, South Carolina has a solid chance to break the streak in 2017. The Gamecocks also host Arkansas on Oct. 7.

Tennessee

Record vs. SEC West: 4-22
Record vs. Alabama: 0-10
2017 outlook: Tennessee hasnít beaten Alabama since 2006. That isnít likely to change this season when the Vols travel to Bryant-Denny Stadium. This seasonís cross-over games could be brutal for Tennessee, which also must play perennial West power LSU, though at least that one is at home.

Texas A&M

Record vs. SEC East: 7-3
Record vs. South Carolina: 3-0
2017 outlook: The Aggies won both games against the SEC East last season, beating Tennessee and South Carolina. Texas A&M hosts the Gamecocks and travels to Florida to play the Gators. Finding the right quarterback will be essential to continue the success against the East.

Vanderbilt

Record vs. SEC West: 8-17
Record vs. Ole Miss: 6-4
2017 outlook: The Commodores look to build on last season, when they smashed Ole Miss 38-17. It wonít be as easy this season at Oxford. Vanderbilt will need a couple of miracles if they want to upset Alabama at home Sept. 23.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/every-sec-teams-crossover-record-last-decade/

Really Big Bama Fan
08-28-2017, 02:31 PM
It is the SEC. I have seen Vandy beat Alabama. Anything can happen in conference play.

Bama_Man
08-28-2017, 05:37 PM
UT is 4-22 against the West. LOL

MKfromPA
08-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Ark is 13-14 vs. SECE, wow. Lol, I didn't think we were THAT bad! :-(

The Zou
08-28-2017, 06:49 PM
UT is 4-22 against the West. LOL

That is the only stat that I will remember tomorrow -- that is astonishing.

Bama_Man
08-28-2017, 08:22 PM
That is the only stat that I will remember tomorrow -- that is astonishing.

It's not like UT has been Vandy, they've had some decent teams. I know being 0-10 against Bama hurts but being 4-12 v. rest of West is embarrassing.

BamaHoHo
08-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Loving this.

Alabama

Record vs. SEC East: 31-3
Record vs. Tennessee: 10-0
2017 outlook: The Crimson Tide travel to Vanderbilt Sept. 23, then get Tennessee at home on Oct. 21. Alabama hasn’t lost to the Commodores since 1984.

The Zou
08-29-2017, 01:36 AM
It's not like UT has been Vandy, they've had some decent teams. I know being 0-10 against Bama hurts but being 4-12 v. rest of West is embarrassing.

They have Top 25 recruiting classes pretty consistently, no? It makes me wonder why they need so many seats in their stadium.

Just saying...

Really Big Bama Fan
08-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Loving this.
Saw Phat Phil Foolmer in a Synodrin commercial last night--made me want to vomit.

Bama_Man
08-29-2017, 07:30 PM
They have Top 25 recruiting classes pretty consistently, no? It makes me wonder why they need so many seats in their stadium.

Just saying...

Yeah they've had some good classes under Kiffin and Jones, the success just hasn't carried over.

And even tho they haven't been great, Neyland still fills up. I was at the last UGA/UT game in Knoxville and the stadium was almost sold out. They draw great crowds for big games even when they aren't very good.

GR8NESS
08-30-2017, 02:16 AM
At what point do we say UT, Nebraska, and Notre Dame are has been programa that'll never have consistent greatness again? Football has changed in a way that those programs aren't what they once were and will likely never be again, IMO.

Herchel
08-30-2017, 08:35 AM
At what point do we say UT, Nebraska, and Notre Dame are has been programa that'll never have consistent greatness again? Football has changed in a way that those programs aren't what they once were and will likely never be again, IMO.
The 3 schools you named have to recruit nationally, as the local talent base isn't there. ND did play for the NC in 2012.

MKfromPA
08-30-2017, 11:12 AM
The 3 schools you named have to recruit nationally, as the local talent base isn't there. ND did play for the NC in 2012.

True. They haven't had a consistent coach who has kept the program among the best in the country. ND will always recruit well because of their name. I also don't believe they have consistently won the "big" games recently. Brian Kelly has had great years and awful years. If he does not perform in 2017, I think he loses his job. If you're going to be best, you have to beat the best.

2016: 4-8 record;
2015: lost at #12 Clemson (in a HUGE game) & at #13 Stanford in regular season finale; lost to tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl;
2014: lost at #2 FSU; lost at #11 Arizona State; lost at home to #24 Louisville, then was shellacked at USC the following week;
2013: losses at #17 Michigan, vs. #12 OU, at #8 Stanford and at Pittsburgh;

Herchel
08-30-2017, 11:39 AM
True. They haven't had a consistent coach who has kept the program among the best in the country. ND will always recruit well because of their name. I also don't believe they have consistently won the "big" games recently. Brian Kelly has had great years and awful years. If he does not perform in 2017, I think he loses his job. If you're going to be best, you have to beat the best.

2016: 4-8 record;
2015: lost at #12 Clemson (in a HUGE game) & at #13 Stanford in regular season finale; lost to tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl;
2014: lost at #2 FSU; lost at #11 Arizona State; lost at home to #24 Louisville, then was shellacked at USC the following week;
2013: losses at #17 Michigan, vs. #12 OU, at #8 Stanford and at Pittsburgh;
I was trying to say they have a difficult time being great with little local talent, Nebraska especially.

Bama_Man
08-30-2017, 08:11 PM
I was trying to say they have a difficult time being great with little local talent, Nebraska especially.

TN (and Indiana for ND) aren't much better tbh. TN is best of the three but when UT is nationally relevant they always recruit well in the SE and out West. It's just not a talent rich state.

rstew3
08-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, the record stinks, but i will say that UT has played probably the toughest cross-divisional opponents, and non-conference oppenents of any SEC team the last 10 years on top of all of the turmoil that has gone on.

Just in the SEC, of those 23 losses, 9 have been against teams that played in the national title game that year (6 of these have been Bama). Outside of our annual rivalry with Bama, the other teams that we have played in the SEC West have been the top tier teams those respective years with A&M, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss all peaking in the years that UT played them.

Here is a recap. I'd love to see Georgia's and Florida's matchups over this same span:

2007 Alabama L Nick Sabans first year at Bama, and they clobbered UT. Unfortunately Bama had to vacate this win, but it still counts as a UT loss.
2007 Arkansas W
2007 LSU L SEC Championship Game. LSU Won BCS National Championship this year
2007 Mississippi State W
2008 Alabama L Bama was 12-0 this year before going to SECCG where they lost to Florida (who won the national title)
2008 Auburn L Auburn wasn't very good this year, but pulled out a 14-12 victory over an equally terrible UT.
2008 Mississippi State W
2009 Alabama L Bama undefeated this season and wins BCS Title this year. UT was a blocked field goal away from taking the win at Bryant-Denny.
2009 Auburn L Auburn comes to Neyland undefeated in Kiffins one and only year. Auburn wins 26-22 in what was also Chizik's first year.
2009 Ole Miss L Probably the most painful game to watch. There was no reason for UT to lose this game, but Monte Kiffin's defense couldn't handle that little skinny kid that ran around elusively all day
2010 Alabama L
2010 LSU L F Dooley. LSU wins 16-14 on the final play where UT has 13 men on the field penalty. LSU finishes # 8 in the country.
2010 Ole Miss W
2011 Alabama L Bama wins BCS Title this year
2011 Arkansas L Arkansas goes 11-2 this year with only losses to LSU and Bama who played for national title.
2011 LSU L LSU finishes as SEC Champions and 13-1 losing to Bama in BCS Game
2012 Alabama L Bama wins BCS Title this year
2012 Mississippi State L Dak Prescott's freshman year
2013 Alabama L Bama was rolling to another BCS this year, except for the "kick 6" vs Auburn keeping them out of the SEC and National Title games.
2013 Auburn L Auburn went on to play in BCS Title Game, but lost to Florida State
2014 Alabama L Bama wins SEC but loses in playoffs to Ohio State
2014 Ole Miss L Ole Miss was #3 in the country coming into this game and killed UT.
2015 Alabama L Bama wins National Title this year
2015 Arkansas L I can't explain this one. Dammit Butch
2016 A&M L double overtime against # 8 in the country
2016 Alabama L Bama goes 14-1 but loses National Title this year to Clemson

rstew3
08-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Going back and looking through those 10 seasons, and wanted to add that during this span, UT also had home-and-homes with UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech among others for out of conference opponents, not bowl games. All of those teams were also in their primes. Wow, what a stretch of tough games.

Please note, I am not complaining and would not want it any other way. Even with the losses, I got to watch better football over the last 10 years than most any other fanbase.

MKfromPA
08-31-2017, 10:35 AM

Yes and I agree. I was pointing out that even though ND recruits nationally, they have not been (or foreseeable will be) a national power in recent years. I guess it was a reply to Gr8nesses' comment. And for that matter, Nebraska and Tennessee aren't national powers either.

Bama_Man
08-31-2017, 05:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, the record stinks, but i will say that UT has played probably the toughest cross-divisional opponents, and non-conference oppenents of any SEC team the last 10 years on top of all of the turmoil that has gone on.

Just in the SEC, of those 23 losses, 9 have been against teams that played in the national title game that year (6 of these have been Bama). Outside of our annual rivalry with Bama, the other teams that we have played in the SEC West have been the top tier teams those respective years with A&M, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss all peaking in the years that UT played them.

Here is a recap. I'd love to see Georgia's and Florida's matchups over this same span:

2007 Alabama L Nick Sabans first year at Bama, and they clobbered UT. Unfortunately Bama had to vacate this win, but it still counts as a UT loss.
2007 Arkansas W
2007 LSU L SEC Championship Game. LSU Won BCS National Championship this year
2007 Mississippi State W
2008 Alabama L Bama was 12-0 this year before going to SECCG where they lost to Florida (who won the national title)
2008 Auburn L Auburn wasn't very good this year, but pulled out a 14-12 victory over an equally terrible UT.
2008 Mississippi State W
2009 Alabama L Bama undefeated this season and wins BCS Title this year. UT was a blocked field goal away from taking the win at Bryant-Denny.
2009 Auburn L Auburn comes to Neyland undefeated in Kiffins one and only year. Auburn wins 26-22 in what was also Chizik's first year.
2009 Ole Miss L Probably the most painful game to watch. There was no reason for UT to lose this game, but Monte Kiffin's defense couldn't handle that little skinny kid that ran around elusively all day
2010 Alabama L
2010 LSU L F Dooley. LSU wins 16-14 on the final play where UT has 13 men on the field penalty. LSU finishes # 8 in the country.
2010 Ole Miss W
2011 Alabama L Bama wins BCS Title this year
2011 Arkansas L Arkansas goes 11-2 this year with only losses to LSU and Bama who played for national title.
2011 LSU L LSU finishes as SEC Champions and 13-1 losing to Bama in BCS Game
2012 Alabama L Bama wins BCS Title this year
2012 Mississippi State L Dak Prescott's freshman year
2013 Alabama L Bama was rolling to another BCS this year, except for the "kick 6" vs Auburn keeping them out of the SEC and National Title games.
2013 Auburn L Auburn went on to play in BCS Title Game, but lost to Florida State
2014 Alabama L Bama wins SEC but loses in playoffs to Ohio State
2014 Ole Miss L Ole Miss was #3 in the country coming into this game and killed UT.
2015 Alabama L Bama wins National Title this year
2015 Arkansas L I can't explain this one. Dammit Butch
2016 A&M L double overtime against # 8 in the country
2016 Alabama L Bama goes 14-1 but loses National Title this year to Clemson

Damn that's a brutal stretch. I didn't realize how unfortunate the timing was for UT. There are only maybe five games I see there that UT should have won (2015 Ark, 2016 TAMU, 2012 MSU, 2010 LSU, 2009 OM, 2008 Auburn). That's rough and def skews UTs record.

And UT does always play tough OOC games, Bama, UT, UGA and LSU always schedule a premier OOC game and UF has one every year with FSU. People rag on the SEC playing FCS teams, but not many conference schedule bigger OOC games.

MKfromPA
08-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Want to be a premier program in the country? Those teams schedule the difficult OOC games.