Predict LSU's season [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Predict LSU's season

Herchel
07-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Sept. 2 BYU at Houston

Sept. 9 UT-Chattanooga (H)

Sept. 16 at Mississippi St.

Sept. 23 Syracuse (H)

Sept. 30 Troy (H)

Oct. 7 Florida (H)

Oct. 14 Auburn (H)

Oct. 21 at Ole Miss

Oct. 28 Open

Nov. 4 at Alabama

Nov. 11 Arkansas (H)

Nov. 18 at Tennessee

Nov. 25 Texas A&M (H)

Herchel
07-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Sept. 2 BYU at Houston - W

Sept. 9 UT-Chattanooga (H) - W

Sept. 16 at Mississippi St. - W

Sept. 23 Syracuse (H) - W

Sept. 30 Troy (H) - W

Oct. 7 Florida (H) - W

Oct. 14 Auburn (H) - W

Oct. 21 at Ole Miss - W

Oct. 28 Open

Nov. 4 at Alabama - L

Nov. 11 Arkansas (H) - W

Nov. 18 at Tennessee - W

Nov. 25 Texas A&M (H) - W
11-1, 7-1

ALA2262
07-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Sept. 2 BYU at Houston - W

Sept. 9 UT-Chattanooga (H) - W

Sept. 16 at Mississippi St. - W

Sept. 23 Syracuse (H) - W

Sept. 30 Troy (H) - W

Oct. 7 at Florida - L

Oct. 14 Auburn (H) - W

Oct. 21 at Ole Miss - W

Oct. 28 Open

Nov. 4 at Alabama - L

Nov. 11 Arkansas (H) - W

Nov. 18 at Tennessee - W

Nov. 25 Texas A&M (H) - W

10-2 (6-2)

ALA2262
07-28-2017, 02:02 PM
At Florida

Bama_Man
07-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Sept. 2 BYU at Houston-----------W

Sept. 9 UT-Chattanooga (H)–----------W

Sept. 16 at Mississippi St.----W

Sept. 23 Syracuse (H)---------W

Sept. 30 Troy (H)----------W

Oct. 7 Florida (H)---------L. Isn't it @UF?

Oct. 14 Auburn (H)-------------W

Oct. 21 at Ole Miss-------------W

Oct. 28 Open

Nov. 4 at Alabama---------L

Nov. 11 Arkansas (H)-------------W

Nov. 18 at Tennessee-------------W

Nov. 25 Texas A&M (H)--W

10-2 (6-2)
I think LSU plays at UF

MKfromPA
07-28-2017, 06:18 PM
I have high hopes for LSU this season. I think they will do well and fight with Alabama and Auburn for the SECW.

Sept. 2 BYU at Houston W

Sept. 9 UT-Chattanooga (H) W

Sept. 16 at Mississippi St. W

Sept. 23 Syracuse (H) W

Sept. 30 Troy (H) W

Oct. 7 Florida (H) W

Oct. 14 Auburn (H) W

Oct. 21 at Ole Miss W

Oct. 28 Open

Nov. 4 at Alabama L

Nov. 11 Arkansas (H) L

Nov. 18 at Tennessee W

Nov. 25 Texas A&M (H) W

10-2, 6-2 SEC

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Sept. 2 BYU at Houston loss

Sept. 9 UT-Chattanooga (H) win

Sept. 16 at Mississippi St. Win

Sept. 23 Syracuse (H) win

Sept. 30 Troy (H) win

Oct. 7 Florida (H) loss

Oct. 14 Auburn (H) win

Oct. 21 at Ole Miss win

Oct. 28 Open

Nov. 4 at Alabama loss

Nov. 11 Arkansas (H) loss

Nov. 18 at Tennessee win

Nov. 25 Texas A&M (H) win

ALA2262
07-29-2017, 10:37 AM
FYI to those of you who are even thinking about picking the barn over LSU. The barn is 4-17-1 all time in BR. They have not won there since 1999. Against a 3-8 LSU team. Which is why Nick Saban became their HC in 2000. LSU ain't going 3-8 in 2017. LSU ain't losing to the barn in BR in 2017.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-29-2017, 01:35 PM
By percentages, ED O, in his first full season as LSU coach, would be overachieving to go 10-2. There is a learning curve that normally comes with installing a new system.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Consistency in year one will be a problem here and there for LSU.

I picked BYU to beat them in game 1. Actually, I grade the game percentagewise at 51/49 in favor of BYU. BYU is going to score points...The question is, can LSU match them offensively.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-29-2017, 01:44 PM
FYI to those of you who are even thinking about picking the barn over LSU. The barn is 4-17-1 all time in BR. They have not won there since 1999. Against a 3-8 LSU team. Which is why Nick Saban became their HC in 2000. LSU ain't going 3-8 in 2017. LSU ain't losing to the barn in BR in 2017.

I picked LSU to win that game, barely. I almost went the other way. I gave it to LSU since it is a home game for them. That was the only reason. But it will not be a surprise in the least to see Auburn win.

Bama_Man
07-29-2017, 02:15 PM
By percentages, ED O, in his first full season as LSU coach, would be overachieving to go 10-2. There is a learning curve that normally comes with installing a new system.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Consistency in year one will be a problem here and there for LSU.

I picked BYU to beat them in game 1. Actually, I grade the game percentagewise at 51/49 in favor of BYU. BYU is going to score points...The question is, can LSU match them offensively.
What makes ya confident BYU can score? They only return six starters on an offense (QB and OL, no RB/WR) that ranked no higher than 41st in any offensive category. They (BYU) should have a good defense (six starters back, all LBs and most of secondary while new guys on DL are all upperclassmen), they were 14th in scoring defense and ninth against the rush.

In a defensive battle, I side w LSU.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-29-2017, 07:10 PM
What makes ya confident BYU can score? They only return six starters on an offense (QB and OL, no RB/WR) that ranked no higher than 41st in any offensive category. They (BYU) should have a good defense (six starters back, all LBs and most of secondary while new guys on DL are all upperclassmen), they were 14th in scoring defense and ninth against the rush.

I like junior QB Tanner Magnum. He will likely play on Sundays. I don't think Tanner Young can beat him out for the starter role. Young, a senior, will probably get the start at WR, which is where they need the most help. Word is he can cut and catch. BYU has a long history of having good offenses. Last year was not their norm.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-29-2017, 07:19 PM
You know me. I'm a QB guy. Like why I picked Clemson to beat Bama last year in the NC game.

MKfromPA
07-30-2017, 10:31 AM

I have to agree. I don't think BYU can compete with one of the best teams in the SEC. LSU has WAY too much talent to be outplayed by these guys.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-30-2017, 11:50 AM
I have to agree. I don't think BYU can compete with one of the best teams in the SEC. LSU has WAY too much talent to be outplayed by these guys.

Has anyone seen the early betting line on the game? I'm guessing LSU favored by 4 to 7 points.

zud the hut
07-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Has anyone seen the early betting line on the game? I'm guessing LSU favored by 4 to 7 points.
Almost 2 touchdowns.

Bama_Man
07-30-2017, 06:28 PM
I like junior QB Tanner Magnum. He will likely play on Sundays. I don't think Tanner Young can beat him out for the starter role. Young, a senior, will probably get the start at WR, which is where they need the most help. Word is he can cut and catch. BYU has a long history of having good offenses. Last year was not their norm.

He played some when Hill went down. He's a good college QB but I don't see any way he plays at next level.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-31-2017, 01:11 PM
He played some when Hill went down. He's a good college QB but I don't see any way he plays at next level.

I think this season will have a lot to do with his draw for the next level. If he manages to pull out a win against Lsu, (provided he gets the start), his name will be tossed in the pro mix. From there it would be about consistent performance. If Brandon Allen can get a draft call, anyone can.

Didn't Tanner win the Elite 11 competition? Seems I remember he did.

Bama_Man
07-31-2017, 04:42 PM
I think this season will have a lot to do with his draw for the next level. If he manages to pull out a win against Lsu, (provided he gets the start), his name will be tossed in the pro mix. From there it would be about consistent performance. If Brandon Allen can get a draft call, anyone can.

Didn't Tanner win the Elite 11 competition? Seems I remember he did.

He shared the MVP with Jameis and your boy Neal Burcham.

He has a great coach for QBs with Detmer, but I think he has to show a lot to be an NFL QB. He may make a roster but I thought you were saying he'd actually play on Sundays.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-31-2017, 10:00 PM
He shared the MVP with Jameis and your boy Neal Burcham.

He has a great coach for QBs with Detmer, but I think he has to show a lot to be an NFL QB. He may make a roster but I thought you were saying he'd actually play on Sundays.

I did say play. But you are probably more correct that he will probably get a draft number, but never make a starting role. I don't think he will start as a rookie or even in his second or third season, but at some point (like duck feet Mallett), he'll get a chance to start, more than likely due to an injury to a starter. Lol. By no means do I think he is Super Bowl caliber though. The odds are against any single junior QB in college...First he has to get through the next two seasons without a serious injury.

For some reason I was thinking Tanner was a year after Neal and Jameis.

Speaking of Neal, he is back in Greenbrier these days. Coach Tribble lets him and his favorite target, my nephew Scott, hang out on the sidelines in the Greenbrier games. Last season, Neal's little brother, Carter, started at QB for GHS. Carter dropped back to pass on a play and had to throw the ball away with a long heave out of bounds...Who caught it? Neal did... The crowd went wild. Neal is an honestly good guy. He is a hometown favorite to this day. My nephew is now an ordained minister.

Is it just going to be me and you yakking SEC football this season? So far it seems that way. Well, we do have MKPA, Zud, and Ala262. That's OK if it is just us. I'll be in here and I know you will too. Herc can rename the football forum "MK Dr. AlaZud Bama" in our honor. :towel:

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Almost 2 touchdowns.

Wow. Never would have figured a line that long. I may need to change my pick to 51/49 in favor of LSU. But I'll take BYU and double digit points on the bet for sure.

Bama_Man
08-01-2017, 12:05 AM
I did say play. But you are probably more correct that he will probably get a draft number, but never make a starting role. I don't think he will start as a rookie or even in his second or third season, but at some point (like duck feet Mallett), he'll get a chance to start, more than likely due to an injury to a starter. Lol. By no means do I think he is Super Bowl caliber though. The odds are against any single junior QB in college...First he has to get through the next two seasons without a serious injury.

Speaking of Neal, he is back in Greenbrier these days. Coach Tribble lets him and his favorite target, my nephew Scott, hang out on the sidelines in the Greenbrier games. Last season, Neal's little brother, Carter, started at QB for GHS. Carter dropped back to pass on a play and had to throw the ball away with a long heave out of bounds...Who caught it? Neal did... The crowd went wild. Neal is an honestly good guy. He is a hometown favorite to this day. My nephew is now an ordained minister.

Is it just going to be me and you yakking SEC football this season? So far it seems that way. Well, we do have MKPA, Zud, and Ala262. That's OK if it is just us. I'll be in here and I know you will too. Herc can rename the football forum "MK Dr. AlaZud Bama" in our honor. :towel:

Shame Burcham never really was able to make his mark at the collegiate level. He had tools, evidenced by being recognized with Winston and Magnum. He had talent, maybe not SEC talent but talent nonetheless.

The forum is always dead this time of year, surely it'll pick up in a month or so. I figure we will see a lot more people resurface then.

Is Burchams little bro a college prospect?

zud the hut
08-01-2017, 02:17 AM
Wow. Never would have figured a line that long. I may need to change my pick to 51/49 in favor of LSU. But I'll take BYU and double digit points on the bet for sure.
That's hard not to take those points. LSU would have to win over 14 points to win the bet.

I don't know what the line is now but it was over 13 points then.

zud the hut
08-01-2017, 02:23 AM

This place has been dead and it seems like it's been over a year like that. And there aren't any new posters to speak of. I really don't know what happened. It appears to me to be dying on the vine. But a lot of the old time message boards are like this. Too bad. I genuinely like discourse and debate.

Herchel
08-01-2017, 09:27 AM
The reports of our demise are exaggerated. :)
We have some new members, including an LSU fan.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-01-2017, 01:06 PM
I think the difference here at Secf is our football posters are well informed, whereas you go over to SecRant, there is a plethora of non-informative derogatory jabbering. I'll stay right here thank you.

YR_Tiger
08-01-2017, 05:24 PM
From the words of the great one... :)
14-0 and all the hardware that goes with it.....

MKfromPA
08-01-2017, 07:00 PM
This place has been dead and it seems like it's been over a year like that. And there aren't any new posters to speak of. I really don't know what happened. It appears to me to be dying on the vine. But a lot of the old time message boards are like this. Too bad. I genuinely like discourse and debate.

Yeah it has. I haven't been on as much since football season. A lot of the other guys haven't posted in a while either.

I think 13 points is a fairly large line for the game, but I'm not necessarily surprised. LSU is one of the top SEC teams in the preseason rankings. BYU is a non-Power Five school. The game is at a neutral site, opening weekend, which LSU has a strong history of doing well in... winning. LSU comes in with momentum on its side: a coach who led them strong after Les Miles was fired, talent at QB and RB.... and as always, a dominating defense. BYU is a tall underdog and they ought to be. BUT they can shock the college football world with a victory.

It's kind of ironic... my supervisor at work is a BYU alum.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Yeah it has. I haven't been on as much since football season. A lot of the other guys haven't posted in a while either.

I think 13 points is a fairly large line for the game, but I'm not necessarily surprised. LSU is one of the top SEC teams in the preseason rankings. BYU is a non-Power Five school. The game is at a neutral site, opening weekend, which LSU has a strong history of doing well in... winning. LSU comes in with momentum on its side: a coach who led them strong after Les Miles was fired, talent at QB and RB.... and as always, a dominating defense. BYU is a tall underdog and they ought to be. BUT they can shock the college football world with a victory.

LSU, in the last 5 years in regular season games, has went 8-4, 9-3, 8-4, 9-3, 9-3.

The bayou bengals haven't gotten 10 wins in the regular season since 2012. They may get 10 regular season wins, but as evidenced by the last five seasons, they have something to prove just like everyone else in the SEC, save Alabama. In each of those last five seasons they have finished lower in the top 25 that they were ranked to begin the season, so I have to think they are over rated again at #5 in the AP. Most other publications have them from 12th to 14th, which is more accurate IMO.

zud the hut
08-02-2017, 12:37 PM

I think that you are correct. LSU should be favored. But this doesn't mean that they will win the game.(Brilliant observation, eh?)

It's easier to lose a first game. And if LSU let's BYU hang close then it's a cliffhanger. But if Guise gets rolling then it will be a blowout. And I can see this game scenario going either of those 2 ways.

zud the hut
08-02-2017, 12:47 PM
LSU, in the last 5 years in regular season games, has went 8-4, 9-3, 8-4, 9-3, 9-3.

The bayou bengals haven't gotten 10 wins in the regular season since 2012. They may get 10 regular season wins, but as evidenced by the last five seasons, they have something to prove just like everyone else in the SEC, save Alabama. In each of those last five seasons they have finished lower in the top 25 that they were ranked to begin the season, so I have to think they are over rated again at #5 in the AP. Most other publications have them from 12th to 14th, which is more accurate IMO.
THe thing that you should consider about the last 2 seasons is that we lost 2 probable wins.
The McNeese game was canceled due to the weather 2 years ago. Do you think that we would have won that game?

We had to cancel the South Alabama game last year because of Florida's mismanagement of their weather situation. We lost a home game becuz Florida doesn't know how to take care of their sheet. Do you think that we possibly had a shot of beating USA?

zud the hut
08-02-2017, 12:47 PM

THe thing that you should consider about the last 2 seasons is that we lost 2 probable wins.
The McNeese game was canceled due to the weather 2 years ago. Do you think that we would have won that game?

We had to cancel the South Alabama game last year because of Florida's mismanagement of their weather situation. We lost a home game becuz Florida doesn't know how to take care of their sheet. Do you think that we possibly had a shot of beating USA?

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-02-2017, 01:16 PM

Sure you would have won those games. I thought I credited them as wins in my stats post.

It will not surprise me in the least for you guys to win 10. The talent is there. I'm just saying show me.

If you win less than ten though, will you consider it under achieving?

Oh... and Arkansas lost to Florida a few seasons ago because the refs cheated, as evidenced by the suspension of the officiating crew. But it still counted as a loss for Arkansas. Sour grape wins are not wins

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Oops.

MKfromPA
08-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Yep, Doc, you are correct and have the evidence to back it up. Preseason rankings don't mean a thing once the football is kicked off. The Tigers will have to prove it on the field.

zud the hut
08-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Sure you would have won those games. I thought I credited them as wins in my stats post.

It will not surprise me in the least for you guys to win 10. The talent is there. I'm just saying show me.

If you win less than ten though, will you consider it under achieving?

Oh... and Arkansas lost to Florida a few seasons ago because the refs cheated, as evidenced by the suspension of the officiating crew. But it still counted as a loss for Arkansas. Sour grape wins are not wins
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought that you were posting the season record. Anyways, Dr., I have gotten old and furthermore, my mental acuity is in decline! LOL HaHa!
But I don't really give a rats arse about preseason predictions. I find them basically meaningless except to set expectations.
Last year was the year that I thought LSU would return to a championship levels. I had good reasons to think that the table was set. But I didn't even get an appetizer becuz we laid an egg. It didn't matter what I predicted.