Obvious question about Ole Miss...who is the next coach? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Obvious question about Ole Miss...who is the next coach?

SavageOrangeJug
07-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Les Miles?
Lane Kiffin?
Mike Bobo?

Do they go after a coordinator with a successful team?

Just Some Hog Dude
07-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Apparently Kiffin wants it. I would not be shocked if he is hired given his youth and experience in the SEC.

SavageOrangeJug
07-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Apparently Kiffin wants it. I would not be shocked if he is hired given his youth and experience in the SEC.
The same could be said for Bobo. He is only 43 and is a SEC man his whole life.

Just Some Hog Dude
07-22-2017, 09:46 AM
The same could be said for Bobo. He is only 43 and is a SEC man his whole life.

Kiffin has more head coaching experience and comes from a coaching family. I recall UGA fans not even liking Bobo while he was there.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-22-2017, 12:05 PM
I think if Kiffin has indicated he wants it, the job is his. Hands down. There is no way Ole Miss could pass on him.

And Layla and kids are always welcome in SEC country. She is a lovely classy lady.

http://fabwags.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/lane-kiffin-layla-kiffin-7.jpg

The Zou
07-22-2017, 12:41 PM
I think if Kiffin has indicated he wants it, the job is his. Hands down. There is no way Ole Miss could pass on him.

And Layla and kids are always welcome in SEC country. She is a lovely classy lady.

I agree -- if he wants it... I would hire him. And I'm saying that with the full disclosure that he drives me a little crazy; its a business decision and I think he shows promise. And maybe, in the long run, REAL promise. I would give him 3 years...

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-22-2017, 12:51 PM
I agree -- if he wants it... I would hire him. And I'm saying that with the full disclosure that he drives me a little crazy; its a business decision and I think he shows promise. And maybe, in the long run, REAL promise. I would give him 3 years...

I don't want to play him year in and year out, but he is good for the conference as a whole. Five years of success at Ole Miss could lead to a Bama job post Saban. Saban may go ten more years, but I doubt it. I think we are counting down at about five to go presently.

The Zou
07-22-2017, 01:16 PM
I don't want to play him year in and year out, but he is good for the conference as a whole. Five years of success at Ole Miss could lead to a Bama job post Saban. Saban may go ten more years, but I doubt it. I think we are counting down at about five to go presently.

My only beef with Kif was that he seemed a bit immature as a professional -- all of the tools are there, but he seemed to lack a but of "control". For this reason, I thought it was perfect for him to work under Saban as an assistant; perfect mentorship and it shows he can eat humble pie.

I'm 'long' on Kiffin...

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-22-2017, 01:27 PM
My only beef with Kif was that he seemed a bit immature as a professional -- all of the tools are there, but he seemed to lack a but of "control". For this reason, I thought it was perfect for him to work under Saban as an assistant; perfect mentorship and it shows he can eat humble pie.

I'm 'long' on Kiffin...

I think all that goes with the fact he became a head coach at a young age. As you get older you see things with different eyes very often. You live and you learn so to speak. I think he is definitely more ready now to practice the role of a head coach in a major D1 conference. If he isn't, he probably never will be..

The Zou
07-22-2017, 01:32 PM
I think all that goes with the fact he became a head coach at a young age. As you get older you see things with different eyes very often. You live and you learn so to speak. I think he is definitely more ready now to practice the role of a head coach in a major D1 conference. If he isn't, he probably never will be..

100% agree -- he was head coach of Raiders at 31!! Then TN. Then USC... and he did pretty well there considering he had to eat massive sanctions. Hell, 2nd year he went 10-2!!!

He is definitely a high ceiling candidate, imo.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-22-2017, 01:37 PM
100% agree -- he was head coach of Raiders at 31!! Then TN. Then USC... and he did pretty well there considering he had to eat massive sanctions. Hell, 2nd year he went 10-2!!!

He is definitely a high ceiling candidate, imo.

Yep.

I think we can almost all agree 100% that if Kiffin indeed wants the Ole Miss job, it is his, a no-brainer of sorts, and that it would be an excellent hire by Ole Miss.

AlienBeans
07-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Yep.

I think we can almost all agree 100% that if Kiffin indeed wants the Ole Miss job, it is his, a no-brainer of sorts, and that it would be an excellent hire by Ole Miss.

I don't agree at all. I do imagine that if Kiffin wants it, he has a great chance of getting it. However, we don't know at this point if Ole Miss is even going to look for a head coach. Their interim could wind up with the job. But, I do not under any circumstances believe it would be an excellent hire by ole Miss. Kiffin is a cluster screw and a train wreck waiting to happen. He's failed miserably at every chance he's had to be a head coach. He is definitely not head coaching material at any major university, IMO. The only quality season a team coached by Kiffin had was 2011 at USC when they went 10-2. They followed that up by going 7-6, then Kiffin was fired 5 games into the 2013 season.

Even Ole Miss could do better than Lane Kiffin. They would be better off with an up and coming coordinator, IMO.

SavageOrangeJug
07-22-2017, 06:17 PM

They are divorced. Lane stuck it in one too many coeds.

zud the hut
07-23-2017, 03:00 AM
Les Miles is eating crawfish and shrimp in Baton Rouge, so he is busy...

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-23-2017, 07:40 AM
They are divorced. Lane stuck it in one too many coeds.

I missed that. Well nevermind on kiffin. He sucks now.

SavageOrangeJug
07-23-2017, 07:58 AM
I missed that. Well nevermind on kiffin. He sucks now.

"I used to say there's a constantly daily battle between who can take more of my money between Layla and Obama," Kiffin told SI.com.

"I figured it out. I really don't make any money. I pay around 52% in taxes. Layla gets 34.5% in the divorce, and [agent Jimmy Sexton] gets 3%. I make [about] 9% and I'm living in Tuscaloosa."

Lane Kiffin jokes about ex-wife Layla, Barack Obama and money (http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/12/lane_kiffin_jokes_about_ex-wif.html)

Ole Miss would pay Kiffin at least $4 million a year. Take 9% of that and he still brings home $360,000 after taxes and alimony. DAMN! I should have went into coaching.

ECDawg78
07-23-2017, 10:15 AM
I don't believe Bobo would be interested.....at least not now.

With all the uncertainty and the NCAA sanctions still looming, the hole the Ole Miss program will have to climb out of is going to take years, whoever gets the job. It easily could be the second coach that follows Freeze/Luke would be the one with the best chance of sustained success.

There will be better opportunities for Bobo in the future than this one.....

The Zou
07-23-2017, 11:49 AM
I don't agree at all. I do imagine that if Kiffin wants it, he has a great chance of getting it. However, we don't know at this point if Ole Miss is even going to look for a head coach. Their interim could wind up with the job. But, I do not under any circumstances believe it would be an excellent hire by ole Miss. Kiffin is a cluster screw and a train wreck waiting to happen. He's failed miserably at every chance he's had to be a head coach. He is definitely not head coaching material at any major university, IMO. The only quality season a team coached by Kiffin had was 2011 at USC when they went 10-2. They followed that up by going 7-6, then Kiffin was fired 5 games into the 2013 season.

Even Ole Miss could do better than Lane Kiffin. They would be better off with an up and coming coordinator, IMO.

Uhm... 10-2 & 7-6 aint bad when you consider that:

1. Bowl Ban
2. Lost 30 scholarships

I mean... how do you even field a competitive team under those sanctions? I would say he did ok...

Look, I don't "like" they guy -- but I'd hire him and see what he can do in 3 years.

ugabrad
07-24-2017, 01:16 AM
I saw a facebook rumor today that said Les Miles is interested in the Ole Miss job, for what that is worth. I did not click on the article.

Really Big Bama Fan
07-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Less Smiles would revive the Ole Miss-LSU rivalry, and he is a proven winner.

ALA2262
07-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Tuberville or Miles. Or Nutt. He might hire himself. Will own the school by then.

zud the hut
07-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Miles is there today but I think that Tubbs would be great for Ole Miss!

Bama_Man
07-24-2017, 02:51 PM
I don't believe Bobo would be interested.....at least not now.

With all the uncertainty and the NCAA sanctions still looming, the hole the Ole Miss program will have to climb out of is going to take years, whoever gets the job. It easily could be the second coach that follows Freeze/Luke would be the one with the best chance of sustained success.

There will be better opportunities for Bobo in the future than this one.....

Bobo is young, talented and arguably right now in a better spot than OM. I agree he should wait til a more attractive offer comes his way.

GoAU
07-24-2017, 09:22 PM
With the current NCAA issues, do you really think they'd take a chance with someone that has the track record of Kiffin? I'd think they'd want someone above reproach.

The Zou
07-25-2017, 07:40 PM
With the current NCAA issues, do you really think they'd take a chance with someone that has the track record of Kiffin? I'd think they'd want someone above reproach.

I think that with the current NCAA issues, Kiffin is the best that they can get. And I think they'll take the bests that they can get...

Besides, weren't the NCAA violations at USC already done before he got there? I don't remember his record at Tenn... other than it being short.

The Zou
07-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Tuberville or Miles. Or Nutt. He might hire himself. Will own the school by then.

Bobo is young, talented and arguably right now in a better spot than OM. I agree he should wait til a more attractive offer comes his way.

What is the expected fall-out in terms of violations?

Bama_Man
07-25-2017, 08:22 PM
What is the expected fall-out in terms of violations?
I'm not sure, I haven't saw the NOA yet. Probably not a death penalty but likely a lot of scholarship loss, bowl ban, and maybe vacated wins if anyone was ineligible.

The Zou
07-26-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure, I haven't saw the NOA yet. Probably not a death penalty but likely a lot of scholarship loss, bowl ban, and maybe vacated wins if anyone was ineligible.

Thats kinda my point too -- who would take the job? If he truly is interested... then he's probably the best they'll get.

Edit: For instance... will a young coach on his "way up" take the job? If they are going to have 3+/- years of sanctions... I would advise them against it. Unless, lets say, they get 3 years of sanctions and offer a 7 year contract -- then it might be appealing to someone, but if the contract doesn't AT LEAST double the sanction time... there is no way.

Really Big Bama Fan
07-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Thats kinda my point too -- who would take the job?

Art Briles?

zud the hut
07-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Art Briles?
Perfect!

Bama_Man
07-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Thats kinda my point too -- who would take the job? If he truly is interested... then he's probably the best they'll get.

Edit: For instance... will a young coach on his "way up" take the job? If they are going to have 3+/- years of sanctions... I would advise them against it. Unless, lets say, they get 3 years of sanctions and offer a 7 year contract -- then it might be appealing to someone, but if the contract doesn't AT LEAST double the sanction time... there is no way.
I'd say it'll be an older guy wanting his last shot at success or a coordinator who doesn't believe he'd get an HC job otherwise. So in my mind, Kiffin, Bobo, Miles, anyone with a name or other options is out. They will stay away. Just my opinion.

The Zou
07-27-2017, 12:19 AM
I'd say it'll be an older guy wanting his last shot at success or a coordinator who doesn't believe he'd get an HC job otherwise. So in my mind, Kiffin, Bobo, Miles, anyone with a name or other options is out. They will stay away. Just my opinion.

Probably right -- I was making my case on the assumption that he wanted it.

Bama_Man
07-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Probably right -- I was making my case on the assumption that he wanted it.

Kiffin is just dumb enough to want it, honestly.

MKfromPA
07-28-2017, 06:16 PM

He's "cleaned his act up" so why shouldn't it be his? LOL. I don't believe that man one bit.

Dr.SwineSmeller
07-29-2017, 07:25 PM

Lol! Great point.