Congrats Lady Cocks! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Lady Cocks!

Bama_Man
04-02-2017, 09:58 PM
On your national title. MSU deserves a lot of credit for taking down UConn, but Carolina finished the deed and won it all.

Congrats Carolina fans!!!!

SCgamecock2988
04-03-2017, 08:15 AM
What a wild March/early April for us... I feel for MSU and their fans. To beat UConn then lose it all in the Championship game has to sting. Who knows how it would have gone down in a USC/UConn Title Game but I have to think MSU did us a huge favor...

Herchel
04-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Congrats!

GoDores
04-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Not to discredit anything that SC team did, they are National Champs. But I think history will also look very kindly upon that Miss St. team. They were the ones to end the UConn streak, even though they couldn't cap it off last night.

SCgamecock2988
04-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Not to discredit anything that SC team did, they are National Champs. But I think history will also look very kindly upon that Miss St. team. They were the ones to end the UConn streak, even though they couldn't cap it off last night.

It's too bad they don't give out trophies for beating UConn then. We beat Mississippi State 3 out of 3 times, 1 to win the SEC Tournament and 1 to win the National Championship. That's all that matters in the end.

Bama_Man
04-03-2017, 03:29 PM
What a wild March/early April for us... I feel for MSU and their fans. To beat UConn then lose it all in the Championship game has to sting. Who knows how it would have gone down in a USC/UConn Title Game but I have to think MSU did us a huge favor...

The last three teams to beat UConn in NCAAT have lost the national title game. Heard that stat last night. I guess beating UConn takes it out of you or teams are often too excited after beating UConn and get semi lax next game.

Dawn Staley gets her title, she lost in title game as a player but now has one as a coach. She's a helluva coach. After Geno, she may be best coach out there.

Is USC first non UT women's team to win a title?

Naval Aviator
04-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Congrats, Ladies! (Sorry, just can't use the term "lady cocks." Sounds like something you hear on the streets of Bangkok...).

JRS
04-04-2017, 01:07 PM
It's too bad they don't give out trophies for beating UConn then. We beat Mississippi State 3 out of 3 times, 1 to win the SEC Tournament and 1 to win the National Championship. That's all that matters in the end.

I am so tired of hearing about them beating UCONN. Even after SC won the title they were still going on and on about Mississippi State. I remember one of the commentators saying something like "Was SC the best team tonight? Yes." We were the better team all year long! We beat MSU at home, we beat them in the SEC Tournament Championship game and we beat them in the National Title game. That's okay though, we have the hardware that says we're the better team.

Bama_Man
04-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I am so tired of hearing about them beating UCONN. Even after SC won the title they were still going on and on about Mississippi State. I remember one of the commentators saying something like "Was SC the best team tonight? Yes." We were the better team all year long! We beat MSU at home, we beat them in the SEC Tournament Championship game and we beat them in the National Title game. That's okay though, we have the hardware that says we're the better team.

I think to some extent, State was a better matchup for Carolina, but that's def not to say y'all couldn't have beaten UConn.
I think MSU had the two biggest wins in the tourney, taking down Baylor and UConn (the two team with best odds to win it all) but Carolina got the last win of the season and in the end that's all that matters.

GR8NESS
04-05-2017, 10:49 AM
You can say you're tired of hearing about them beating UCONN, but the fact of the matter is it's women's basketball and that's really all anyone on the national scale gives a sh*t about with it.

SCgamecock2988
04-05-2017, 11:24 AM
You can say you're tired of hearing about them beating UCONN, but the fact of the matter is it's women's basketball and that's really all anyone on the national scale gives a sh*t about with it.

I'll be sure to go edit Mississippi State's Women's Basketball wikipedia page to add above the NCAA Tournament Runner-Up Line: "Wins against UConn: 1, 2017"

GoDores
04-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Ending a 100+ game winning streak - longest in the history - is a big deal.

Who ended UCLA's winning streak back in the 70s? I bet most people would know Notre Dame did it. But I have absolutely no idea who won it all that year.

JRS
04-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Ending a 100+ game winning streak - longest in the history - is a big deal.

Who ended UCLA's winning streak back in the 70s? I bet most people would know Notre Dame did it. But I have absolutely no idea who won it all that year.

And they got nothing from it but a couple of days of airtime.

GoDores
04-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Let's not turn this into a straw man argument. Would I rather have a national championship or end the streak? Easy - national championship. But my point is that I think history will also remember that Miss. St. team also for taking down UConn.

GoDores
04-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Another question I've wondered about recently:

What is the #3 college sport in America - college baseball or women's basketball? I think America would maybe lean women's basketball as the 3rd most popular sport.

SC fans would be a decent group to answer because they have national titles in both now within a fairly recent time. Which one means more?

SCgamecock2988
04-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Baseball. It's also way harder to win a title in college baseball than women's bball. When you become a good women's bball program you're set... not much parity.

Wave&Dawgs
04-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Ultimately, I think the MSU-UConn game will far and away be the most remembered game by the casual fan 5-10 years down the line. I don't think there is really any debating that.

Having said that, USC definitely had our number this year and were more than deserving champs. It stung not to be able to finish the deal, but I just don't think our girls had anything left after beating UConn. You basically have to give two games worth of effort to beat those ladies.