SEC awards [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : SEC awards

GatorMan32
03-07-2017, 01:07 PM
http://www.secsports.com/article/18844347/2017-sec-men-basketball-awards-announced

kentubbybasketball
03-07-2017, 03:31 PM
I disagree on a lot of that, but I'm happy we won the league. Thats not subjective. Id be okay never having another POY or COY if it meant we won the league every year.

How Cal doesn't win is beyond me. He lost 5 guys and still won the league by two games. The job he did between recruiting and in game winning is the best. It just is IMO, but I can see Mike White winning given how that award normally goes. (For Cal to beat Mike White without a second team PG in the defacto championship game is quite impressive. Cal only eins COY when we have a perfrct season and thats not fair).

What really annoys me is how Sindarius Thornwell is POY over Malik Monk. I wont even get into that one further.

Bama_Man
03-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Agree about Monk, no way he isn't POY. Disagree about COY. White followed a bona fide legend, and finished second in the SEC with a team not nearly as talented as UK. White got more out of his team IMO

JRS
03-07-2017, 06:11 PM
I disagree on a lot of that, but I'm happy we won the league. Thats not subjective. Id be okay never having another POY or COY if it meant we won the league every year.

How Cal doesn't win is beyond me. He lost 5 guys and still won the league by two games. The job he did between recruiting and in game winning is the best. It just is IMO, but I can see Mike White winning given how that award normally goes. (For Cal to beat Mike White without a second team PG in the defacto championship game is quite impressive. Cal only eins COY when we have a perfrct season and thats not fair).

What really annoys me is how Sindarius Thornwell is POY over Malik Monk. I wont even get into that one further.

Why? Monk averaged .001 more points per game than Thornwell. Thornwell averaged more rebounds, steals, assists, blocks, and shot the same from the free throw line. He also played 4 different positions and often guarded the opposing teams best player. Let's not forget that he was voted on the all defensive team as well. All this while playing 6 less games.

I guess it must be a stigma against South Carolina teams. I mean they're South Carolina, they can't possibly have a player win SEC Player of the Year.

kentubbybasketball
03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Agree about Monk, no way he isn't POY. Disagree about COY. White followed a bona fide legend, and finished second in the SEC with a team not nearly as talented as UK. White got more out of his team IMO

Since when is it Cal's fault what talent Mike White has. If you grade on a curve, I guess I get it. However, these coaches all can recruit whoever they want. Recruiting is the most important part of the job. Even if we say Xs and Os wise White was better, the difference there is not enough compared to the difference on rhe recruiting side where Cal trumps White by a lot. Recruiting is part of what made Cal win the SEC. Using that as a qualifier to say he shouldn't be COY seems odd to me.

The way Cal recruits bare mimimum makes him a candidate every year. To me the best coach in a given year is usually the one who won the championship. If we are saying it goes to who got the most out of his talent, did White get more than Bryce Drew did at Vandy given what Vandy lacks (i.e. no PG and a lack of post D) and considering he swept White?

Furthermore what does who White following Billy D have to do with this year. Billy was under .500 his last year for all intents and purposes. Likewise, Cal followed the dumpster fire that was Billy G at UK. He deserves credit for that imo. People think what Cal does is easy and just overlook him. If it were easy everybody would be doing it. Cal had one of his best years here, and in a weak league I think he was the best coach in the totality of recruiting, coaching, and winning. The only area you could sort of argue White was better was in coaching and that's not forgone.

And yeah White did finish second. Somebody is always going to finish second. Does that automatically shoo them in simply because Cal recruits so well? Arkansas finished second two years agi when we started 38-0. Mike Anderson wasn't coach of the year then.

kentubbybasketball
03-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Why? Monk averaged .001 more points per game than Thornwell. Thornwell averaged more rebounds, steals, assists, blocks, and shot the same from the free throw line. He also played 4 different positions and often guarded the opposing teams best player. Let's not forget that he was voted on the all defensive team as well. All this while playing 6 less games.

I guess it must be a stigma against South Carolina teams. I mean they're South Carolina, they can't possibly have a player win SEC Player of the Year.

That's all fair but Monk was on a 2 loss SEC team. Go back and look at the history of the award. It usually goes to the best player on the best team. If Monk had a 4OT game maybe he wouldve scored 47 against Bama too. I dont care much about the stats. Stats can say what you want, and if USC chooses to be a one man team, why does thatbpenalize Monk in your mind? Looking at the games and results, Monk affected winning much more. A POY on a 6 loss team in a weak league when another guy is the 4th frosh to lead the SEC in scoring on a 2 loss champion seems odd to me.

Monk was the AP POY for the SEC, so I'm happy he got that one at least.

The idea he played 6 less games than Monk actually supports the case for Monk. Lets not act like Thornwell was injured. He got suspended for his own bad behavior/neglience.

GR8NESS
03-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Agree about Monk, no way he isn't POY.

Why? Monk got buckets and that's it.

Thornwell literally did everything for that team.

JRS
03-07-2017, 08:53 PM
That's all fair but Monk was on a 2 loss SEC team. Go back and look at the history of the award. It usually goes to the best player on the best team. If Monk had a 4OT game maybe he wouldve scored 47 against Bama too. I dont care much about the stats. Stats can say what you want, and if USC chooses to be a one man team, why does thatbpenalize Monk in your mind? Looking at the games and results, Monk affected winning much more. A POY on a 6 loss team in a weak league when another guy is the 4th frosh to lead the SEC in scoring on a 2 loss champion seems odd to me.

The idea he played 6 less games than Monk actually supports the case for Monk. Lets not act like Thornwell was injured. He got suspended for his own bad behavior/neglience.

Thornwell was more valuable for his team than Monk was to UK and that is a fact. Without Monk UK just plugs in another 5* recruit and carries on, maybe not to the tune of 26 wins but still over 20. Without Thornwell SC does not win 22 games and would not be going to the tournament.

Also, there is more to basketball than just scoring. I believe you brought up an argument a few years back about the difference between Downey and Wall and that there is more than just scoring. Wall filled up the stat sheet in more areas than scoring. That is the case this year with Thornwell, he did more than just score.

Did you even watch the Bama game? If it wasn't for him there wouldn't have been a first overtime let alone 3 more.

Be happy with the AP award, I believe I would trust what SEC coaches think over the Associated Press, these are the people who had to game plan for him after all.

kentubbybasketball
03-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Maybe Thornwell was more valuable (tho I'm not sure how to measure that), but is it called player of the year or most valuable player? I get there's more than just scoring btw, but the object of the game is to score. Score more than your opponent. FWIW, Im not the one using stats to try to make an argument here. That's you. Monk's value went beyond simply scoring points. We lose 4 games without him going off for 25 in second halves this year. That's winning. Rebounds and assists don't matter if you're losing. Thats value to use your words.

By the way, these same coaches youre touting are coaching in the weakest SEC in decades. Two of which have been fired and another whose AD had to give a vote of confidence for today. Congrats man. I am happy with an SEC championship, something Thornwell wasnt "valuable" enough to win. We can argue who deserves poy more. No arguing who the champ is.

These same coaches youre touting could only muster 2 wins over Monk, while 6 beat Thornwell. Maybe thats why this league is struggling. As a math teacher that math doesn't add up. It is amazing how Monk is higher up on All American lists nationally and draft boards. Thornwell had taken 4 years to get to this level. Monk has done it in one year. Is Cal that much better of a coach than Frank or is Monk simply better???

JRS
03-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Maybe Thornwell was more valuable (tho I'm not sure how to measure that), but is it called player of the year or most valuable player? I get there's more than just scoring btw, but the object of the game is to score. Score more than your opponent. FWIW, Im not the one using stats to try to make an argument here. That's you. Monk's value went beyond simply scoring points. We lose 4 games without him going off for 25 in second halves this year. That's winning. Rebounds and assists don't matter if you're losing. Thats value to use your words.

By the way, these same coaches youre touting are coaching in the weakest SEC in decades. Two of which have been fired and another whose AD had to give a vote of confidence for today. Congrats man. I am happy with an SEC championship, something Thornwell wasnt "valuable" enough to win. We can argue who deserves poy more. No arguing who the champ is.

These same coaches youre touting could only muster 2 wins over Monk, while 6 beat Thornwell. Maybe thats why this league is struggling. As a math teacher that math doesn't add up. It is amazing how Monk is higher up on All American lists nationally and draft boards. Thornwell had taken 4 years to get to this level. Monk has done it in one year. Is Cal that much better of a coach than Frank or is Monk simply better???

Lol this is the same exact argument you gave during the Wall vs Downey debate but the one who averaged more points per game did not win the POY award.

To counter your point about losing 4 more games without Monk going off, SC loses a hell of lot more games without Thornwell going off almost every night. You missed the point about stats, my point was that each category that Thornwell excelled more than Monk proves that it isn't just scoring that makes you a complete player. Thornwell did every little thing night after night. Sure it took him 4 years but damnit he earned it.

You sure are ripping these SEC coaches pretty hard. How many SEC games have you coached? How many college games have you coached? High school? Middle School? These coaches forget more basketball knowledge in a day than you will ever know in your lifetime. They are the ones who are in fact making hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars every year to coach the game. You're a math teacher, far from a basketball coach.

Monk is higher up on draft boards based off potential. He has the potential to be a great player. Doesn't mean he's better than Thornwell at this moment.

No one is arguing who won the SEC championship. Be happy with the championship and congrats. Just don't rip down a very good SEC player who earned the right to be named SEC POY in the process.

kentubbybasketball
03-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Monk doesnt have to do everything because we have other players to rebound and play the big positions. Monk wasn't asked to play 4 positions and do everything like Thornwell. That does not make him any less of the player of the year. If we told Monk to get rebound, he would, as we did against LSU when he got 7 boards. Given Monk leaks out on defense, his role was not rebound like Thornwell does. He did what he needed to do to win, which was score, not unlike Thornwell, who just happened to win less quite frankly.

By the way, I must've missed the memo on the SEC games you coached as well. My opinion must carry some weight given you feel the need to debate it. You arguing that is like saying I can't criticize Trump because Ive never been president. That's asinine.

Youre all over the John Wall thing, whoch honestly I don't remember, so I can't fully comment. I will say Devan Downey was on a lesser tram just like Thornwell. That does matter. If it didn't, why do we even keep records and give out championship.

You've missed my point completely if you think I have ripped Thornwell. Im not sure where I ever said or even insinuated he's not a good college player. Please show me where I even intimated that. What I am saying is that Monk was better this year. Given his stats and team success I don't see how that's an unfounded opinion. He was a unanimous first team player. Its not a strange opinion.

Dawg4life
03-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Frazier literally had to drag Georgia to three straight wins against 2 average teams and 1 bad team. Props to him, he really bounced back after having a rough few weeks and had a great season overall despite his jumper being off for a lot of it....but that really shows a lot of things...

Thornwell deserved SEC POY, he was what made South Carolina go and they would have not been very good without him.

JRS
03-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Monk doesnt have to do everything because we have other players to rebound and play the big positions. Monk wasn't asked to play 4 positions and do everything like Thornwell. That does not make him any less of the player of the year. If we told Monk to get rebound, he would, as we did against LSU when he got 7 boards. Given Monk leaks out on defense, his role was not rebound like Thornwell does. He did what he needed to do to win, which was score, not unlike Thornwell, who just happened to win less quite frankly.

By the way, I must've missed the memo on the SEC games you coached as well. My opinion must carry some weight given you feel the need to debate it. You arguing that is like saying I can't criticize Trump because Ive never been president. That's asinine.

Youre all over the John Wall thing, whoch honestly I don't remember, so I can't fully comment. I will say Devan Downey was on a lesser tram just like Thornwell. That does matter. If it didn't, why do we even keep records and give out championship.

You've missed my point completely if you think I have ripped Thornwell. Im not sure where I ever said or even insinuated he's not a good college player. Please show me where I even intimated that. What I am saying is that Monk was better this year. Given his stats and team success I don't see how that's an unfounded opinion. He was a unanimous first team player. Its not a strange opinion.

Which should show you how valuable he was to his team, more so than Monk. Monk, as you said earlier, wasn't needed to do all of the things that Thornwell was asked to do. Thornwell not only obliged but also excelled at everything he was asked to do for the team. Monk just scored and there is nothing wrong with that because that is what he was asked to do. My point is that when you have two players averaging the same points per game the next step to separate which one should be named POY should be based on the next line of statistics and who is more valuable to their team. I have always thought this way and you may disagree which is fine because it is just my opinion. There is no doubt that SC would be worse off without Thornwell than UK would be without Monk. That is a fact. That's not Monk's fault but that's just where the two teams are at this moment.

As for coaching, I've never coached a basketball game on any level nor have I ever claimed to have. At the same time I'm not downing the people who coach for a living in this conference. My point on this is that I think I'd rather trust the opinions of basketball coaches vs the press when it comes to selecting the POY. These are the same people who had to game plan for both players night after night.

JRS
03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Frazier literally had to drag Georgia to three straight wins against 2 average teams and 1 bad team. Props to him, he really bounced back after having a rough few weeks and had a great season overall despite his jumper being off for a lot of it....but that really shows a lot of things...

Thornwell deserved SEC POY, he was what made South Carolina go and they would have not been very good without him.

No offense but thank the good Lord he is graduating this year lol.

SCgamecock2988
03-08-2017, 02:14 PM

On a 2-loss team full of NBA talent. Most of our guys will end up with careers in Europe. It's harder to do what Thornwell did on a team like South Carolina compared to what Monk did on a team like Kentucky. Everything's easier when the guys around you are better. When we didn't have Thornwell it showed...

Bama_Man
03-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Since when is it Cal's fault what talent Mike White has. If you grade on a curve, I guess I get it. However, these coaches all can recruit whoever they want. Recruiting is the most important part of the job. Even if we say Xs and Os wise White was better, the difference there is not enough compared to the difference on rhe recruiting side where Cal trumps White by a lot. Recruiting is part of what made Cal win the SEC. Using that as a qualifier to say he shouldn't be COY seems odd to me.

The way Cal recruits bare mimimum makes him a candidate every year. To me the best coach in a given year is usually the one who won the championship. If we are saying it goes to who got the most out of his talent, did White get more than Bryce Drew did at Vandy given what Vandy lacks (i.e. no PG and a lack of post D) and considering he swept White?

Furthermore what does who White following Billy D have to do with this year. Billy was under .500 his last year for all intents and purposes. Likewise, Cal followed the dumpster fire that was Billy G at UK. He deserves credit for that imo. People think what Cal does is easy and just overlook him. If it were easy everybody would be doing it. Cal had one of his best years here, and in a weak league I think he was the best coach in the totality of recruiting, coaching, and winning. The only area you could sort of argue White was better was in coaching and that's not forgone.

And yeah White did finish second. Somebody is always going to finish second. Does that automatically shoo them in simply because Cal recruits so well? Arkansas finished second two years agi when we started 38-0. Mike Anderson wasn't coach of the year then.

This is quite possibly the most nonsensical post you've made. Coaches should win awards because they recruit well? White is an excellent X's and O's coach who took a team with less talent and put up a better RPI than UK, beat eight top fifty RPI teams, had zero bad losses and smacked UK down at home while losing a close game on the road.
Recruiting itself is absolutely meaningless to a COY award, or Nick Saban would win in football every year. It's about expectations v. production, as well as COACHING, ya know the X's and O's that you basically accepted that White excelled at over Cal.
White deserved the COY award, can't see how that's even debatable.

Bama_Man
03-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Why? Monk got buckets and that's it.

Thornwell literally did everything for that team.

He got buckets in big games and put up some huge numbers. Thornwell did more, no debating that. Just thought Monk was the scarier player for an opposing team.

kentubbybasketball
03-08-2017, 07:10 PM
This is quite possibly the most nonsensical post you've made. Coaches should win awards because they recruit well? White is an excellent X's and O's coach who took a team with less talent and put up a better RPI than UK, beat eight top fifty RPI teams, had zero bad losses and smacked UK down at home while losing a close game on the road.
Recruiting itself is absolutely meaningless to a COY award, or Nick Saban would win in football every year. It's about expectations v. production, as well as COACHING, ya know the X's and O's that you basically accepted that White excelled at over Cal.
White deserved the COY award, can't see how that's even debatable.

The most important part of the job is recruiting is it not? You keep qualifying White because he had lesser talent afterall. Must be something to having more talent. But who says having more talent is easier. How did Johnny Jones and Lorenzo Romas do witj top 3 picks the lat two years. Not as easy as it looks. Given the fact Saban wins the SEC every year, he should be COy every year. Thanks for arguing my point. Phil Jackson shouldve won every year also but only won once. I dont care he had Jordan,Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq. He was the most successful coach as Cal was this season.cal was predicted to win the league and he did. The guy who's predictee to win and does should win more than he does with these things.

Ultimately, the 2017 SEC COY is not going to make Cal's career. I said last week when we beat Florida that White would win. I mean Cal has been COY twice with 5 titles. It's obvious he wasn't going to win. Doesnt mean it was right. I think White would rather be a champion afterall. Cal is the only coach to beat every other coach this year with one of the ten youngest teams in the country. Btw, with all those accomplishments White still cant beat Vandy or win an SEC title like Cal did. Youre the only person who still touts RPI. The committe doesnt even anymore.

And, for what its worth White's roster is riddled with top 50 and 100 guys. Mike Anderson's is not. He should be COy based off your nonsensical argument. Lets not act like he had butter knife this year while Cal had a machete. We would've taken Allen and Egbunu out of high school. White has had 3 years to develop that roster, whereas Cal won the league with a team he had for only 5 months. Stop acting like it is silly to say the champion coach should be COY.

SCgamecock2988
03-09-2017, 07:43 AM
He got buckets in big games and put up some huge numbers. Thornwell did more, no debating that. Just thought Monk was the scarier player for an opposing team.

Kentucky is a scarier team for an opposing team.

Bama_Man
03-13-2017, 04:25 PM
The most important part of the job is recruiting is it not? You keep qualifying White because he had lesser talent afterall. Must be something to having more talent. But who says having more talent is easier. How did Johnny Jones and Lorenzo Romas do witj top 3 picks the lat two years. Not as easy as it looks. Given the fact Saban wins the SEC every year, he should be COy every year. Thanks for arguing my point. Phil Jackson shouldve won every year also but only won once. I dont care he had Jordan,Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq. He was the most successful coach as Cal was this season.cal was predicted to win the league and he did. The guy who's predictee to win and does should win more than he does with these things.

Ultimately, the 2017 SEC COY is not going to make Cal's career. I said last week when we beat Florida that White would win. I mean Cal has been COY twice with 5 titles. It's obvious he wasn't going to win. Doesnt mean it was right. I think White would rather be a champion afterall. Cal is the only coach to beat every other coach this year with one of the ten youngest teams in the country. Btw, with all those accomplishments White still cant beat Vandy or win an SEC title like Cal did. Youre the only person who still touts RPI. The committe doesnt even anymore.

And, for what its worth White's roster is riddled with top 50 and 100 guys. Mike Anderson's is not. He should be COy based off your nonsensical argument. Lets not act like he had butter knife this year while Cal had a machete. We would've taken Allen and Egbunu out of high school. White has had 3 years to develop that roster, whereas Cal won the league with a team he had for only 5 months. Stop acting like it is silly to say the champion coach should be COY.

Blah blah blah, recruiting is separate than coaching. If you can't accept that, I'm not gonna waste my time proving tomyou that White was more deserving.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2017, 08:17 PM
Alright bye then. Glad youre leaving. If recruiting is a part of coaching perhaps you dont need to be here.

Bama_Man
03-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Alright bye then. Glad youre leaving. If recruiting is a part of coaching perhaps you dont need to be here.

No you poked the bear, I'm not going ANYWHERE.

Recruiting is a facet of the game different from coaching. The award isn't recruiter of the year. It's COACH of the Year.

And this year, the SEC coaches decided that White was more deserving. And I agree. As does everyone else except for you, who cannot fathom Cal not winning every award.

kentubbybasketball
03-14-2017, 07:32 PM

Recruiting is a facet of the game different from coaching. The award isn't recruiter of the year. It's COACH of the Year.

And this year, the SEC coaches decided that White was more deserving. And I agree. As does everyone else except for you, who cannot fathom Cal not winning every award.

Again, bye. You've already lost the argunent. The best coaches have the best players and usually the bezt results. Cal was 19-2 vs the SEC, so he won on the court and in the living room. Go bye bye like you said to youf fantasy land.

Poked thd bear??? Ha, I'm not intimidated. It is a message board. Calm down. Don't take yourself so seriously.

JRS
03-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Didn't you know that the coaches in SEC are garbage?

JRS
03-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Thornwell with 29 points and 11 boards tonight as SC beats Marquette 93-73.

https://youtu.be/QFIzYyiwIIk

JRS
03-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Thornwell with 24 points as SC upsets Duke 88-81 to head to the Sweet 16.

SCgamecock2988
03-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Pretty freaking awesome.. I didn't get to bed until 2:15 AM because of the adrenaline rush alone. Had to be at work at 7:30... got here at 7:50 I'm proud of myself.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2017, 11:45 AM
One thing Frank Martin said after beating Duke was his league prepared his team to beat Duke. Good going SEC. Three teams in the Sweet 16 vs 1 for the ACC, and honestly, Arkansas had them (UNC) on the ropes.

Going forward the SEC will be better like it was in the 80s and 90s with Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Alabama, and Auburn having good rosters for next year... and who knows if Michael Porter comes to Mizzou. (Plus, TAMU, UGA, Vandy, Ole Miss, and UT can beat anybody on a given day). Sadly, but maybe to UK's benefits, the days of winning the SEC by multiple games are over. If it gets us better seeds in the NCAAT, I'll be all for it.

GatorMan32
03-20-2017, 07:48 PM
One thing Frank Martin said after beating Duke was his league prepared his team to beat Duke. Good going SEC. Three teams in the Sweet 16 vs 1 for the ACC, and honestly, Arkansas had them (UNC) on the ropes.

Going forward the SEC will be better like it was in the 80s and 90s with Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Alabama, and Auburn having good rosters for next year... and who knows if Michael Porter comes to Mizzou. (Plus, TAMU, UGA, Vandy, Ole Miss, and UT can beat anybody on a given day). Sadly, but maybe to UK's benefits, the days of winning the SEC by multiple games are over. If it gets us better seeds in the NCAAT, I'll be all for it.

Agreed. It was good to see the SEC finally step up. 5 in. All showed out well. Even with Vandy losing, they did not no show. However, 3 of the other 4 are in the Sweet 16 and Arkansas damn near beat UNC. This is the beginning of the rise of the conference.

JRS
03-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Thornwell with another 24 points as SC downs Baylor to advance to the Elite 8.

xAuBuRn
03-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Thornwell with another 24 points as SC downs Baylor to advance to the Elite 8.

South Carolina is having an incredible run. Hope they can make the final 4. My mom has them winning the whole thing. She knows nothing about basketball. Her bracket is better than mine lol.

Dawg4life
03-24-2017, 11:49 PM
Kentucky is a different team with Fox playing like this.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2017, 12:22 AM
An SEC team will be in the final four guaranteed and UK has a chance to make it two. UNC-Kentucky shoukd be a final four game, not Elite 8. This committee wants to simply be cute instead of fair.

lbzdually
03-25-2017, 07:03 AM
3 out of the final 8 are SEC teams. Suck it ACC and Big 10.

Bama_Man
03-25-2017, 08:59 PM
I was 1,000% wrong. Thornwell deserved POY, I see what all he does now. Honestly even though he got injured and didn't play as well during a stretch, Fox was #2 and probably Allen as #3

Bama_Man
03-25-2017, 09:01 PM
An SEC team will be in the final four guaranteed and UK has a chance to make it two. UNC-Kentucky shoukd be a final four game, not Elite 8. This committee wants to simply be cute instead of fair.

UK didn't deserve a 1 seed imo. 2 was right seeding, but got a rough ass draw. Hardest in tourney aside from Carolina IMO. WSU was horrible under seeded, and having to beat them, UCLA and INC to make FF is def a ridiculously tough gauntlet.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2017, 04:07 PM
3 out of the final 8 are SEC teams. Suck it ACC and Big 10.
It is an interesting conversation to have. How much does a three week run play into it. A fibal four run would do wonders for South Carolina's program, especially if the women make it also. However, from a conference standpoint, I eonder if people view it the same way.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2017, 04:09 PM
UK didn't deserve a 1 seed imo. 2 was right seeding, but got a rough ass draw. Hardest in tourney aside from Carolina IMO. WSU was horrible under seeded, and having to beat them, UCLA and INC to make FF is def a ridiculously tough gauntlet.

Cool. You have your opinion. I dont care to argue it other than to say if UNC is the third one seed and UK is the top seed as the committee said, it is being cute to put us in the same region... and why... geography. Lol

. It is what it is. I'm not focusing on this one year. You play who you play. It is this way yearly, even down to the TV schedule making for lack of balancr between regional site games.

Either way, I think whoever wins the UNC- UK regional final will be the favorite to win the whole thing, even tho Gonzaga is extremely formiddable and deserving as well.

Bama_Man
03-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Cool. You have your opinion. I dont care to argue it other than to say if UNC is the third one seed and UK is the top seed as the committee said, it is being cute to put us in the same region... and why... geography. Lol

. It is what it is. I'm not focusing on this one year. You play who you play. It is this way yearly, even down to the TV schedule making for lack of balancr between regional site games.

Either way, I think whoever wins the UNC- UK regional final will be the favorite to win the whole thing, even tho Gonzaga is extremely formiddable and deserving as well.

I didn't know the committee had UK as the highest rated 2-seed, I thought that was Arizona. But, it's also possible that UNC was the lowest 1-seed, so matching up the lowest 1 and highest 2 would make sense. But having to play a Witchita State team that deserved a 5-seed at least in second round jusngoes to show they do try and build matchups, because of storylines.

GR8NESS
03-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Monk totes deserved POY with great performances like today.

Can't wait for the NBA Draft, tho! That's what really counts here, gang.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2017, 08:56 PM
I didn't know the committee had UK as the highest rated 2-seed, I thought that was Arizona. But, it's also possible that UNC was the lowest 1-seed, so matching up the lowest 1 and highest 2 would make sense. But having to play a Witchita State team that deserved a 5-seed at least in second round jusngoes to show they do try and build matchups, because of storylines.

End of the day UNC was the third one seed and we were the top 2 seed. Thats how they had it ranked selection sunday. Im not sure how else to say it. Thats why we will see an S-Curve soon, because using geography to place teams in regions is unfair. It honestly renders the work done in the regular season somewhat useless.

Bama_Man
03-27-2017, 11:25 AM
End of the day UNC was the third one seed and we were the top 2 seed. Thats how they had it ranked selection sunday. Im not sure how else to say it. Thats why we will see an S-Curve soon, because using geography to place teams in regions is unfair. It honestly renders the work done in the regular season somewhat useless.

Who was the number four 1-seed? Nova, Zags and Kansas I thought were 1-2-3 and UNC 4.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Gonzaga was the fourth number 1, hence my point (not trying to be rude, but perhaps if you would've asked that question first instead of assuming I had an agenda, perhaps you would have actually been informed). Follow the link... maybe then you'll realize I'm not making stuff up. Under fair conditions the 1-2 pairings would have been the strongest 1 vs the weakest 2... otherwise, what good do seeds or resumes even do.

It's going to get to an S curve where the strongest 2 gets the weakest 1 soon, because Cal said he's going to demand it. And, it's fair. Villanova as the top overall seed should not have to face anyone but the weakest 2. What happens is some 3 seeds have an easier draw than 2 seeds... and under what premise is that even remotely fair? The fidelity of the selection process can easily be called into question. I'm not sure the NCAA really wants to fight that image.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/3/12/14902254/ncaa-tournament-2017-true-seeds

Bama_Man
03-27-2017, 06:05 PM
I had no agenda, don't be a jerk. I was simply asking.

Zags deserved better than that, they had only lost like 2-3 games all season. I would've had the 1s Nova, Zags, Kansas and U.K.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Cool. As I said the committee tries to be cute.